PDA

View Full Version : 120 Seconds Between Searches?

Logalmier
2009-06-20, 09:55 PM
Is this really necessary? The search option on this site is difficult enough as it is, and it only makes it harder when you have to wait two minutes between searches. Is this simply to reduce server stress? Just curious.

Renegade Paladin
2009-06-20, 10:15 PM
I wouldn't complain too hard; it used to be 300. :smalltongue:

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-06-20, 11:11 PM
Though with as messed up as the searches often are, it's not often an issue anyways.

BizzaroStormy
2009-06-20, 11:27 PM
I dunno, it does kinda get on my nerves when the word i search for isnt counted (giving a blank search) or I make a small typo such as a pair of transposed letter and have to wait two minutes to search again.

Serpentine
2009-06-20, 11:49 PM
I'd just be glad for the normal key-word search to come up with results older than April this year :smallsigh:
But yeah, 120 isn't so bad. 60 or maybe even 90 would be nicer...

Worira
2009-06-21, 12:01 AM
Yeah, it was worse before. My signature weaves a tale of times gone by.

memnarch
2009-06-21, 01:49 AM
Google site-searching ftw!

( [text searching for] site:giantitp.com ) :smallwink:

I usually use google unless I'm specifically looking for a post someone made and google can't find it.

Dogmantra
2009-06-21, 04:19 AM
Do this, but to be even more precise, add /forums/ on the end of the giantitp.com

NerfTW
2009-06-21, 01:00 PM
It's to reduce server strain, so people don't just fire off 50 searches at a time and crash it.

Charity
2009-06-21, 05:48 PM
Google site-searching ftw!

I usually use google unless I'm specifically looking for a post someone made and google can't find it.

This is by far the best way to search this site.

valadil
2009-06-22, 11:18 AM
This is by far the best way to search this site.

Agreed. I'd almost rather have the built in search form be replaced with google's.

Indon
2009-06-22, 11:50 AM
It's to reduce server strain, so people don't just fire off 50 searches at a time and crash it.

You mean the forum isn't just taking 20?

UserClone
2009-06-22, 12:12 PM
You mean the forum isn't just taking 20?

Aaaaand, we have a winner! :smalltongue:

NerfTW
2009-06-22, 12:33 PM
Posters always count as a threatening creature.

Seonor
2009-06-22, 03:11 PM
Agreed. I'd almost rather have the built in search form be replaced with google's.

If the Giant would do that every time someone would search the site google would display ads, something the Giant doesn't want. Also if you use google on a site, you loose control over some of your data (read the eula (https://www.google.com/accounts/TOS), section 11, 17, 18, basicly the hole text). I like a happy Giant more than a slightly more convienient search, so I either use the search here or google.com.

J.B. Ganning
2009-06-22, 06:44 PM
It would help reduce these threads if an explanation was included in the search faliure.

"We're sorry, your search has been eaten by a Grue. Please allow us 120 seconds to send a dispatch team to clear them up. Do not search again until they have been dealt with or else they might eat you too!"

DeathQuaker
2009-06-22, 08:13 PM
I agree that the 120 second rule is silly (it's especially annoying if you misspell your term the first time around), but I also agree that it's often more effective to do a Google site search anyway.

Perhaps if the 120 second warning cannot contain the explanation about the Grues (though it SHOULD), it could at least include the suggestion to try Google?

NerfTW
2009-06-22, 08:17 PM
I agree that the 120 second rule is silly

If by "silly", you mean you didn't actually read the reason, then yes, I suppose it is. But you can't ignore the fact that searches are CPU intensive, and WILL slow down the server if not kept in check.

Especially considering the number of posters who use as a normal part of their browsing routine. It would be better if you just bookmarked threads in your browser, in their own little folder.

Stormthorn
2009-06-29, 12:38 AM
I dunno, it does kinda get on my nerves when the word i search for isnt counted (giving a blank search) or I make a small typo such as a pair of transposed letter and have to wait two minutes to search again.

Exactly. And on top of that my computer sometimes lags and it counts my one click as two, resulting in skipping straight to a message telling me i have to wait 120 seconds, please wait another 120 seconds.

C'mon! Clearly i can type that fast.

Escpecialy since i was clicking the "find more posts" thing on myself. Im having to wait to get information on myself.

Random832
2009-06-29, 08:36 AM
I wouldn't complain too hard; it used to be 300. :smalltongue:

That's madness! :smallcool:
____

But seriously, a limit like "five searches per ten-minute period" would be more reasonable - if they're going to make another search anyway, it doesn't really affect server load to let them do it a bit earlier.

Khaeta
2009-06-29, 08:41 AM
No, THAT. IS. SPARTA!!!

madness is over there -->

But yeah, I agree that a happier Giant and a slightly better server is preferable to a better search.

NerfTW
2009-06-29, 08:45 AM
C'mon! Clearly i can type that fast.

If you select a search and it asks you to log in, clicking the redirect link that appears on the next page will send another search and tell you that you have to wait 120 seconds. The solution is to either sign in first and then tell it to search, or make sure you don't hit that redirect link when signing in.

And in fact, the server doesn't care that you can't "type that fast". That is exactly the situation a limit is there for, when people hammer the search button because they're impatient.