PDA

View Full Version : [3.x] Alternate MW Costs

LibraryOgre
2009-06-21, 10:57 AM
So, I'm kinda playing with ideas, having looked through Castles and Crusades, and again through Palladium Fantasy, and I thought of an alternate way of handling masterwork weapons and armor:

Instead of a flat cost for making things "masterwork" (which I have never liked), instead make the current, listed GP price into a percentage increase.

MW longsword isn't 315gp, it's 60gp... a 300% increase.
MW leather isn't 155gp, it's 7gp, 5 silver... a 150% increase.

This does have the side effect of making such things FAR more common... but also solves one of my big beefs, which is that the cost difference between Full Plate and MW Full Plate is a mere 10%.

DamnedIrishman
2009-06-21, 11:08 AM
Makes good enough sense.

SilverClawShift
2009-06-21, 11:17 AM
I like it. Masterwork should be very distinctive over non-masterwork.

Foryn Gilnith
2009-06-21, 11:23 AM
Masterwork Chain Shirt is 100 gp cheaper. Masterwork weapons are at least 150 gp cheaper. Masterwork dagger costs a mere 10 gp or so, and all clubs are apparently masterwork.

Full Plate is obscenely rare, and an additional +2 (i.e. another apprentice) could enable even a fellow with the bare minimum for making full plate to make it masterwork. Why shouldn't they all be masterwork? This drives down costs in all cases but one - hardly making masterpieces more distinctive.

Fishy
2009-06-21, 11:27 AM
Also, every single stick you find by the side of the road is a masterwork quarterstaff.

Ravens_cry
2009-06-21, 11:39 AM
Also, every single stick you find by the side of the road is a masterwork quarterstaff.
And every cow is made out of masterwork slings.