PDA

View Full Version : Candle Caster

Rob_The_Impaler
2009-06-22, 03:49 PM
I was looking through books and stopped on a page in Tome of Blood. Other then the slight waste for craft..(Candles never seemed like something that would bring in alot of GP...) it seems like a good class, I mean if you can make the items cheap. I was thinking about making a carfter (Practicly getting what ever item he wants for free.... Lets see...

Wizard Conjurer 5/ Candle caster 10/ Malconvoker 5

Take feats like Extract demonic essence to cut exp costs, and fill the rest in with liquid pain, and sacrificing.

Mind you, a house rule for Malconvoker would have to be used so if you do become evil, or are evil (Extracting liquid pain is not always the best thing to do to people...) But other then that Magic items come cheap(as long as you keep up the liquid pain, and demons....) and you could have some vary powerful candles(levels 0-3 can pe passed around to others as well, so the fighter can buff himself....

Not only that, but with your summoning powers you could bid demons to taking down people without getting your hands dirty.

Aside-bind a stelthy demon to hide a candle of fireball in the bed chamber of the king...(ha, lets see him live through a empowered, hightened, maxamized, enlarged fireball....<.<)

HamsterOfTheGod
2009-06-22, 05:02 PM
I was looking through books and stopped on a page in Tome of Blood. Other then the slight waste for craft..(Candles never seemed like something that would bring in alot of GP...) it seems like a good class, I mean if you can make the items cheap. I was thinking about making a carfter (Practicly getting what ever item he wants for free.... Lets see...

Wizard Conjurer 5/ Candle caster 10/ Malconvoker 5

Take feats like Extract demonic essence to cut exp costs, and fill the rest in with liquid pain, and sacrificing.

Mind you, a house rule for Malconvoker would have to be used so if you do become evil, or are evil (Extracting liquid pain is not always the best thing to do to people...) But other then that Magic items come cheap(as long as you keep up the liquid pain, and demons....) and you could have some vary powerful candles(levels 0-3 can pe passed around to others as well, so the fighter can buff himself....

Not only that, but with your summoning powers you could bid demons to taking down people without getting your hands dirty.

Aside-bind a stelthy demon to hide a candle of fireball in the bed chamber of the king...(ha, lets see him live through a empowered, hightened, maxamized, enlarged fireball....<.<)

It's 3.0 only IIRC. Nobody seemed to like it much...maybe the flavor was wrong or players did not know what to do with the flavor.

Basically, it's use is to give sorcerers an alternate method of creating scrolls. It's not bad per se but early on it takes you like 2 rounds to get a spell off from a candle. So it's not combat oriented.

And the cost of creating the candles, though minor, does add up.

Ninetail
2009-06-22, 05:23 PM
The candle caster really doesn't do a whole lot that a wizard can't already do with the free Scribe Scroll feat he gets.

For a sorcerer, it's slightly more useful, but only slightly. Taking Scribe Scroll isn't quite as good, but it also doesn't cost you 10 levels that you could put into a better prestige class instead.

JaxGaret
2009-06-22, 05:45 PM
The only awesome thing about a Candle Caster is the Striped Candle ability. Cast two high level spells during the same standard action? Yes please.

Rob_The_Impaler
2009-06-22, 06:00 PM
Aside-My group doesa 3.0/3.5 mix for our games, so I'm use to mixing those two to much...

Hmm, I was trying to think of ways to use it, I like the pasicly free metamagic involved in it. I'm going to use it soon in a campaign, (My shadowcaster is defently lacking in power..

I had an ideal like a Conjurer who uses the scribed candles in part of his ritural, but it would mostly be fluff.

I'll have to read it over again, but I think the person lighting it doesn't need to know about the spell for it to go off, targeting itself if it's a ranged spell, so a fireball would go off on it self....I think...(goes to read through books..)

ya I hink it will work...

HamsterOfTheGod
2009-06-22, 06:16 PM
Hmm, I was trying to think of ways to use it, I like the pasicly free metamagic involved in it.
It can't hurt but other options might be better...

My shadowcaster is defently lacking in power..
That seems to be the consensus...Maybe, you should ask that question more directly, how to beef up the shadowcaster, here elsewhere. You can find various threads on "fixing" or "optimizing" the shadowcaster, for example this one (http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=611162).

I'll have to read it over again, but I think the person lighting it doesn't need to know about the spell for it to go off, targeting itself if it's a ranged spell, so a fireball would go off on it self....I think...(goes to read through books..)

ya I hink it will work...
IIRC, at lower levels, only the candle caster can cast the spell from the candle. At higher levels, you can delay the casting or have somebody else trigger the candle spell (sort of like using a potion).

If you just want to create a trapped/cursed item, it's probably cheaper to take the craft wondrous item feat. Just determine with the DM what is needed to craft a "cursed" or "trapped" candle that summons a monster to attack the person using the candle. And then don't be surprised if similar tactics are not used against you :)

Fizban
2009-06-22, 06:24 PM
Note that all 3.0 material that hasn't been specifically updated is still valid in 3.5.

The candle caster is pretty lackluster, until you get the striped ability. It's basically a way to grab some limited bonus feats for a sorcerer (not that they're that useful without your actual casting ability), and for wizards to create combo candles. Quicken spell costs +4 levels, striping doesn't.

erikun
2009-06-22, 06:47 PM
Candle Caster was a neat idea, but I never really felt a strong connection with the class. I much preferred the Master Alchemist, preferably as a Gnome Cleric. Bottled Resurrection, for your revival needs on the go!

Asheram
2009-06-22, 07:33 PM
Spell dynamite is a quite interesting idea though. I'll see if I can get this houseruled into my new campaign