PDA

View Full Version : mechanic idea: stroke of luck

Random832
2009-06-22, 04:20 PM
After a battle with a troll, you want to burn it to stop it from regenerating. Unfortunately, your character doesn't know that will work, so he has no reason to do so. You could accidentally spill a flask of Alchemist's Fire on it (http://agc.deskslave.org/comic_viewer.html?goNumber=26) - but if you can just accidentally do the right thing every time, then there's little point in keeping character knowledge separate from player knowledge at all.

So, how to solve this without making things go worst for the players every time? What else; roll a die for it. Each character gets one point for this per day (and can keep up to two in reserve, but can only use a maximum of two per day) - Roll a d20, DC chosen by the DM for the described situation (player may not choose not to proceed if the DC is unfavorable). A 1 means that something thematically similar happens that goes badly for the player and/or the party.

Alternately, burn the point to roll one skill check, one attack round (i.e. attack + damage), or one saving throw twice, and choose the better result.

(In the homebrew section because it could really be applied to any system.)

Shpadoinkle
2009-06-22, 08:45 PM
I dislike the "rolling a 1 means bad juju" thing. Anything that adds a random chance of something bad happening, especially for absolutely no reason whatsoever and there's nothing the PCs can do to stop it, WILL invariably hurt the players in the long run.

Drop that and I could see myself using this, though. I probably wouldn't, but it would be an option.

Random832
2009-06-22, 08:49 PM
I dislike the "rolling a 1 means bad juju" thing. Anything that adds a random chance of something bad happening, especially for absolutely no reason whatsoever and there's nothing the PCs can do to stop it, WILL invariably hurt the players in the long run.

The whole point of this situation is that random stuff happens - sometimes it's good, sometimes it's bad.

How about if they get a 1 they get the point back in addition to something bad happening

TheThan
2009-06-22, 09:10 PM
In my Al Qadim campaign I’m running (3.5), I’m using the action point system to represent the hand of fate taking action. In addition to the standard action point rules I’m allowing the players to spend an action point to call out to the hand of fate to intervene. Which basically means I get to use my magical DM powers to help the players out. I’ve guaranteed that the results will at least be amusing.

The cool thing is that the players get to control exactly when and where fate steps in and intervenes. Yet to the characters it’s chance, destiny karma etc.

The character just manages to get a lucky hit and finish off the really tough opponent. That gust of wind just happened to blow sand into the bandit’s eyes blinding him long enough for the PC to escape.