PDA

View Full Version : Deadlands Fantasy - Would it Work?

banjo1985
2009-06-23, 07:08 AM
Yay for a title that explains pretty much everything! :smalltongue:

The next game I'm running for my group will be Deadlands, the 2000 Pinnacle Edition, not the d20 or Savage World versions that have come out more recently. Essentially I want to run this system in more of a fantasy setting than is portayed in the actual game, and I don't know whether such a thing will work.

The premise to the setting is fairly simple;

- A new continent is discovered, it's hot and inhospitable, so all the criminals and undesirables of the empire are sent over there on boats to fend for themselves in excile. The empire is in a war and doesn't want to deal with this element of society.
- Fast forward twenty years; The empire lost the war, and now much of the displaced populace has headed to the new continent to maintain their freedom. Little of the new continent has been explored, and civilisation is dotted around like fireflies in a black hole. The criminals who were forced there first are thriving, mainly thanks to the support of an as yet undecided but secretive native race to the area, conveniently taking on the role of the Native Americans in the original setting.
- Ghost Rock isn't fuel, it's a powerful drug that is outlawed and sold on black markets across the new continent.
- Travel is mostly by steam train and horseback. Guns are the norm, and the whole of the new continent has a frontier style atmosphere that I think suits the original rules well.

So..would a mixture of Western and Fantasy settings work in such a way? I'm already seeing potential problems with Terror Levels and Magic, but any others that might get bought to life would be helpful. If anyone's ever tried to do a Fantasy Deadlands setting, some opinion on how it went would be good.

bosssmiley
2009-06-23, 08:09 AM
Short answer: given that modern D&D-ish fantasy is about 25% Western and about 25% exploration/exploitation of the New World by weight (the balance being comprised of swords-and-sorcery and RenFair), of course it'll work. :smallwink:

The set-up you've suggested actually sounds more like the settlement of Oz (convict colonies and dusty, mineral-rich interior) than of the Americas. Telescoping 200+ years of exploration and colonisation required to develop a colonial-era culture into a generation or so can just probably just be handwaved.

Apropos of nothing, I think the 3rd book in Moorcock's Hawkmoon series is set on a dark fantasy version of the Mississippi.

PS: The Deep South needs all the KKK-robed Cthulhu cults and riverboat-riding slave lords you can muster. "The South will rise again! When the stars are right!"