PDA

View Full Version : Mind Thrusting Harry Potter

The Vorpal Tribble
2009-06-24, 06:50 AM
I've just had this odd little thought in my mind ever since I started watching the Harry Potter movies.

What if someone with mental abilities, as different from magic as it is in D&D, was accepted into Hogwarts?

I'm just seeing them reading through the books and trying to duplicate the studies, but is absolutely unable to do so, having as much magical talent as a muggle. Eventually they start skipping class and whenever a teacher tries to find them they mentally compel them to look elsewhere.

For though this student cannot counter magic in any way, nor does any of these sorcerers seem able to resist their abilities.

I'm thinking for casting, an indian gal with a fakir father would work. Or perhaps an australian aborigine fellow. Both of their supernatural mythologies and cultures center around that which is more alike to psionics than magic.

kamikasei
2009-06-24, 07:05 AM
If they appear to be either Squibs or Muggles, how'd they get in to Hogwarts? If they were spotted as being capable of supernatural feats, why aren't they being given special lessons to understand them?

Linkavitch
2009-06-24, 08:42 AM
Heheh, that made me laugh. Not only does he not have to go to class, he also convinces his teachers to randomly award him points and give him good grades. And at kamekasei, he controls minds. He tricks everyone into believing he is a magic-user.

kamikasei
2009-06-24, 08:48 AM
And at kamekasei, he controls minds. He tricks everyone into believing he is a magic-user.

Sure, that works once he's in Hogwarts, but the scenario had him getting in and trying to study magic for a while before working out his skills lay elsewhere.

Oslecamo
2009-06-24, 09:22 AM
Sure, that works once he's in Hogwarts, but the scenario had him getting in and trying to study magic for a while before working out his skills lay elsewhere.

He clearly used his powers subconsciously. He wished that he could be a magician(didn't we all at some point of our lives?), so a passing wizard was affected by his mental desire, reported to Dumbledore, who was himself brainwashed, and presto, enter Hogwarts thinking you're a magician.

bladedSmoke
2009-06-24, 09:26 AM
This thread receives the "Most Disturbing-Sounding Title For a Thread" award, just defeating "Girls and Horses" in a close finish. Congratulations!

:smalltongue:

TRM
2009-06-24, 09:42 AM
Heheh, that made me laugh. Not only does he not have to go to class, he also convinces his teachers to randomly award him points and give him good grades. And at kamekasei, he controls minds. He tricks everyone into believing he is a magic-user.
Why would he pretend to be a wizard? He clearly isn't benefiting from attending the school, so why would he try to stay there?

kamikasei
2009-06-24, 09:48 AM
Why would he pretend to be a wizard? He clearly isn't benefiting from attending the school, so why would he try to stay there?

Pointy hat fetish?

Oslecamo
2009-06-24, 09:50 AM
Pointy hat fetish?

Use Hogwarts as the base point to conquer the wizardry world and then the rest of the world? A legion of brainwashed teleporting sleeping agents under your command?

TRM
2009-06-24, 12:08 PM
Use Hogwarts as the base point to conquer the wizardry world and then the rest of the world? A legion of brainwashed teleporting sleeping agents under your command?
If he has that much power he doesn't need to pretend to be a student—he should just walk in and brainwash everyone.

Rogue 7
2009-06-24, 12:15 PM
A psion in Harry Potter would be interesting. But I've oftentimes amused myself seeing just how much fun it would be to put Negima characters at Hogwarts. Because the level of power is so radically different.

Black_Pants_Guy
2009-06-24, 12:48 PM
I often catch myself Mixing Dragonlance with the Harry Potter-verse just to see Raistlin kick that kids ass...

Oslecamo
2009-06-24, 12:51 PM
A psion in Harry Potter would be interesting. But I've oftentimes amused myself seeing just how much fun it would be to put Negima characters at Hogwarts. Because the level of power is so radically different.

That's not really a fair comparation. One is a story of mystery, school and fantasy. The other is of martial arts, action and fanservice where the fighters just happen to be able to shoot lighting out of their fists thanks to the rule of cool.

Also in case you didn't notice, Negima stoped being a school story a loooonnnggg time ago.

Morty
2009-06-24, 12:53 PM
I often catch myself Mixing Dragonlance with the Harry Potter-verse just to see Raistlin kick that kids ass...

A non-magical, mundane Muggle wiping the floor with Potter would be much, much more enjoyable.

Rogue 7
2009-06-24, 12:56 PM
That's not really a fair comparation. One is a story of mystery, school and fantasy. The other is of martial arts, action and fanservice where the fighters just happen to be able to shoot lighting out of their fists thanks to the rule of cool.

Also in case you didn't notice, Negima stoped being a school story a loooonnnggg time ago.

If you'll take a look at my avatar, I think I'm a big enough fan of the series to notice it. That doesn't stop it from being fun to compare.

The_JJ
2009-06-24, 12:58 PM
Hey, whats that?

A handgun.

*POW*

Seriously, one guy with a sniper rifle just outside of the Hogwart's antitech field could've made the seventh book so much more awesome.

Fan
2009-06-24, 01:02 PM
Hey, whats that?

A handgun.

*POW*

Seriously, one guy with a sniper rifle just outside of the Hogwart's antitech field could've made the seventh book so much more awesome.

That, and you have to imagine the Pilots flying above it would find themselves suddenly crashing, Satteilites COULD NOT orbit that small section of the earth due to the spreading out of the field at that height. The military SHOULD have gotten involved WAY before that ever needed to happen.:smalltongue:

Also, the anti tech field makes no sense if they prohibit technology on the grounds then how on earth do they use matches, basic cooking utensils (it's technology believe it or not.), or even something as simple as the John's in the bathroom!

Jahkaivah
2009-06-24, 03:43 PM
A non-magical, mundane Muggle wiping the floor with Potter would be much, much more enjoyable.

I'd love a story where a badass normal learns about the wizarding world (though not neccissary in the harry potter world but a similer one ) and concludes, like i have, that it's filled with selfish elitists who don't give a damn about the rest of the world's problems despite all the atrocities they could fix.

As a result, he attempts to solve our world's problems by researching as much as he can about the wizarding world through whatever means possible, he starts by stealing wizard textbooks and understanding the powers of magic, he then abducts members of the wizarding community to experiment with his own ideas.

Of course, the wizarding world respond negatively to this and become antagonists against his cause, he teams up with a Death Eater equivelants to meet his own ends (they may be interested in some of his captives), and the image of the entire Harry Potter world is turned on it's head as the conflict ensues.

Hey, whats that?

A handgun.

*POW*

Best part in the story being when the main character illustrates how much easier it is to pull a trigger then recite latin inspired mumbo jumbo. :smallbiggrin:

Assassin89
2009-06-24, 03:52 PM
The so-called wizards in Harry Potter act more like D&D sorcerers that have every spell that they learn use a wand as a focus, until a certain point. Why?
Their power is inherent and they do not have to look at a spell book and prepare spells.

As for the guns, one man from Australian could cause the wizards to wave goodbye to their heads.

Jack Squat
2009-06-24, 04:02 PM
Also, the anti tech field makes no sense if they prohibit technology on the grounds then how on earth do they use matches, basic cooking utensils (it's technology believe it or not.), or even something as simple as the John's in the bathroom!

Have they established that it works on all technology? I always assumed it was just electronics, i.e. watches, phones, flashlights, etc.

If it is for all, I'm sure there's ways to make normal items circumvent it via magic; it'd just be fairly pointless.

The Glyphstone
2009-06-24, 04:10 PM
As for the guns, one man from Australian could cause the wizards to wave goodbye to their heads.

He would need a contract though - he is an assassin after all, not a crazed gunman...:smallbiggrin:

Oslecamo
2009-06-24, 04:12 PM

It only blocks advanced technology, specially electronics. Primitive stuff like clockworck watches worcks just fine. Something related to heavy magic on the air disrupting the flow of electrecity.

On the guns matter: wizards can become invisible. And then mind control people while remaining invisible. Who needs handguns when you can do that?

Rutskarn
2009-06-24, 04:15 PM
He would need a contract though - he is an assassin after all, not a crazed gunman...:smallbiggrin:

He can thwart just about any potionmaker, though.

Just need to dilute the ingredients with a half-liter of...

Ja-RATE!

Drascin
2009-06-24, 04:53 PM

Meh, just send Scout in. Much cheaper, and Potter himself proved time after time that spells are not hitscan, and that most wizards' aim is really really bad - a timely roll allows you to dodge them pretty easily. Plus seeing Voldy get Bonk'd would be priceless.

Moonshadow
2009-06-24, 05:00 PM
Pfeh. If Negi entered Hogwarts, he'd probably have been expelled by now, or at least started a whole bucnh of rumors about the Panty Shredder :smallbiggrin:

chiasaur11
2009-06-24, 05:02 PM

Ja-RATE!

I either didn't need to think about that, or that's one of the most amusing mental images all day.

Prime32
2009-06-24, 05:04 PM
Pfeh. If Negi entered Hogwarts, he'd probably have been expelled by now, or at least started a whole bucnh of rumors about the Panty Shredder :smallbiggrin:Negi could probably beat Voldemort with his bare hands. (transforming his hands into lightning first: optional)

Moonshadow
2009-06-24, 05:05 PM
That is true. Negi would have killed Voldemort as a baby.

But he's still far too inheritantly powerful to stay at Hogwarts :smallwink:

The Glyphstone
2009-06-24, 08:18 PM
Meh, just send Scout in. Much cheaper, and Potter himself proved time after time that spells are not hitscan, and that most wizards' aim is really really bad - a timely roll allows you to dodge them pretty easily. Plus seeing Voldy get Bonk'd would be priceless.

On the other hand, telling Heavy Weapons Guy that he can get a Sandvich in the kitchens would be HILARIOUS. That is, if you find house-elves being Sashaed all over the walls to be hilarious.

Flickerdart
2009-06-24, 08:27 PM
HP Wizards can't do Invisibility though, which is what makes the Cloak so special. And the mind control thing isn't so good either.

Also, I've always been under the impression that the "anti-tech" field works equally on anything that isn't magic, subverting the principles that make it work, which would include psionics. I've also always thought this happens just because there's so much damn magic...so if you brought a laptop connected to the Storm botnet that repeatedly proved physics equations over and over again...it just might overpower the magic. Which would be hilarious.

Worira
2009-06-24, 09:36 PM
"Our magic's not working! There's too much science!"

Assassin89
2009-06-24, 09:52 PM

Ja-RATE!

Ja-RATE can also hinder the invisibility cloaks, not to mention humiliate the wizards. In fact, the only people that could be potentially hindered would be the spy and the engineer.

kamikasei
2009-06-25, 02:46 AM
HP Wizards can't do Invisibility though, which is what makes the Cloak so special.

Yes they can. Dumbledore does so in the first book ("I do not need a cloak to become invisible..."). What makes the cloak special is that invisbility-granting items are rare. The usual version would just be a cloak with an invisbility spell cast on it, which would wear off with a bit of use.

chiasaur11
2009-06-25, 02:53 AM
Ja-RATE can also hinder the invisibility cloaks, not to mention humiliate the wizards. In fact, the only people that could be potentially hindered would be the spy and the engineer.

Just JARATE, no hyphen.

And the Heavy would be inconvenienced too. His beloved Sascha wouldn't work.

Still, he and Sanvich would be able to complete the task. Sanvich is a darn good cop.

Oslecamo
2009-06-25, 07:56 AM
God why all the HP bashing? You realize you're sending professional bloodthirsty warriors wich care only about violence after a school of kids who're teached based on love and peace? Why this level of sadism?

Estrecca
2009-06-25, 08:25 AM
God why all the HP bashing? You realize you're sending professional bloodthirsty warriors wich care only about violence after a school of kids who're teached based on love and peace? Why this level of sadism?

A combination of male genitalia envy (Harry Potter is far more popular than D&D can ever hope to be) and following the 'hating HP is cool' crowd, if I must hazard a guess.

Not that Harry Potter is high literature, mind you, but it is an enjoyable enough read and it gets retarded amounts of flak from people who haven't even read the books.

Yes they can. Dumbledore does so in the first book ("I do not need a cloak to become invisible..."). What makes the cloak special is that invisbility-granting items are rare. The usual version would just be a cloak with an invisbility spell cast on it, which would wear off with a bit of use.

As a matter of fact, Harry's cloak is special, because other invisibility cloaks (that are made from the hair of a magical creature from Asia or some such thing) lose their magic after a while and even when working at 100% are more like the cloaking devices in the Predator movies (in other words, it's not perfect invisibility). The one spell we know about that grants pseudo-invisibility (the Disillusionment Charm) is more like giving the surface of the person chamaleon-like traits.

kamikasei
2009-06-25, 08:30 AM

The books invite it a little by having wizards constantly saying that Muggles are helpless against them - the mundane world is totally at the mercy of the Death Eaters, the Inquisitions were just a lark to any wizards or witches caught up in them, etc.

So that's some of it. The rest probably has simpler roots.

Dienekes
2009-06-25, 08:40 AM

Black humor=hilarious?

not too hard a concept to wrap around.

Leon
2009-06-25, 09:02 AM

Mage Hunter

Green Bean
2009-06-25, 10:08 AM
Mage Hunter

Certainly a very specific one.

Xallace
2009-06-25, 10:12 AM
...so if you brought a laptop connected to the Storm botnet that repeatedly proved physics equations over and over again...it just might overpower the magic. Which would be hilarious.

Flickerdart, see if you can determine the radius on the Laptop shield. Rutskarn, I'll need you to get Gold Team together and collect as much Jarate as you can; ask civilians if you have to. Time draws near gentlemen; we can't let up after our victory at Forks, Washington. :smallbiggrin:

---

So anyway, if we assume that psionics are not particularly prevalent in the Harry Potter world, I could imagine that the Ministry of Magic would mistake the early manifestations of Vorpal's Psion (uncontrolled mental domination, maybe some telekinesis, screwing with electricity?) as the pre-pubescent manifestations of magic.

Jahkaivah
2009-06-25, 10:29 AM
A combination of male genitalia envy (Harry Potter is far more popular than D&D can ever hope to be) and following the 'hating HP is cool' crowd, if I must hazard a guess.

Or because it's fun.

Nah.. couldn't be it. That would justify us.

On the guns matter: wizards can become invisible. And then mind control people while remaining invisible. Who needs handguns when you can do that?

In anything other then a straight out fight, Wizards have the upper hand, but otherwise? No matter what spell you cast, you still have to wave a wand and say something, by the time the opposition has pulled a trigger.

Look at the fights in Deathly Hallows, everyone just sends killing curses at each other, its like the fantasy equivalent of wondering why firing lasers replaced traditional ammunition in science fiction, when the supposedly superior method can be dodged and outsmarted.

I've yet to meet one who can outsmart bullet*.

*Ok so strictly speaking both the scout and the medic know how to... but still...

Prime32
2009-06-25, 10:46 AM
What would happen if Chachamaru entered Hogwarts? :smallconfused:

Oslecamo
2009-06-25, 12:09 PM
The books invite it a little by having wizards constantly saying that Muggles are helpless against them - the mundane world is totally at the mercy of the Death Eaters, the Inquisitions were just a lark to any wizards or witches caught up in them, etc.

You can't kill what you don't know it's there. Wizards have managed to make the muggles think they're just a fairy tale, so by all points of view, they are indeed defenseless against wizards, because they think it doesn't exist. Sure the your favorite gunslinger could easily shoot them before they drew their wand, but that would imply that the wizard was stupid enough to reveal himself in the first place as a threat.

Jahkaivah: First, you're forgeting that HP wizards follow the same survival guide of D&D wizards: NEVER take a straight fight, or allow any chances for it. They both hide into extradimensional places wich normals can never enter, they both use expendable minions and magic to scry at distance, and if they attack, will be under cover of illusions and darkess when the enemy is fast asleep. Thus, a straight out fight never happens.

As to not using guns in the situations when they could be more effecient, well, you seem to be forgeting that fire guns still demand training and worck to become effecient, and HP wizards are notorious for being lazy as hell, due to their overdependecy on magic.

Plus half of them are the equivalent of civilians, and the other half is a bunch of fanatic terrorrists. None of them are specialized military corps. If they tried to use guns they would probably end up shooting themselves.

Also, since the killing curse is illegal, one could argue that any tool for killing is outright illegal in the wizardy world, and thus muggle fireweapons are a taboo. Actually, it's a repeated point that HP wizards know little of muggle technology.

Wizards didn't replace handguns with wands. They never used handguns in the first place. They took a diferent path of development, and choose to remain unseen instead of ruling by force.

13_CBS
2009-06-25, 12:10 PM
What would happen if Chachamaru entered Hogwarts? :smallconfused:

Fanservice would ensue, of course.

Jahkaivah
2009-06-25, 02:51 PM
[stuff]

Jahkaivah: First, you're forgeting that HP wizards follow the same survival guide of D&D wizards: NEVER take a straight fight, or allow any chances for it. They both hide into extradimensional places wich normals can never enter, they both use expendable minions and magic to scry at distance, and if they attack, will be under cover of illusions and darkess when the enemy is fast asleep. Thus, a straight out fight never happens.

[more stuff]

Wizards didn't replace handguns with wands. They never used handguns in the first place. They took a diferent path of development, and choose to remain unseen instead of ruling by force.

Which would be fine if Harry Potter wizards actually followed these strategies.

Read Deathly Hallows, and take a look at the number of conflicts that happen, one time too many wizards treat their wands like less efficient guns.

Moff Chumley
2009-06-25, 03:17 PM
You can't kill what you don't know it's there. Wizards have managed to make the muggles think they're just a fairy tale, so by all points of view, they are indeed defenseless against wizards, because they think it doesn't exist.
[snippity snip]

Well, I think we know someone who's got this piece of the puzzle worked out, no? :smallcool:

"Butler, Juliet, you may find this unbelievable. But I have discovered the existance of an entire hidden culture of witches and wizards throughout the world. I have found one of their history books, and it all fits together. Butler, get your stakeout gear ready."

Artemis Fowl, age 11, discovers the secrets behind magic, secures a wand, and gets sent to Hogwarts. Hillarity ensues.

Black_Pants_Guy
2009-06-25, 03:31 PM

Tanis Half-Elven or Caramon then?

Helgraf
2009-06-26, 04:09 AM
Tanis Half-Elven or Caramon then?

There's a horrible thought in cross-worlding.

Tanis Half-House-Elven.

Ewwwwww...