PDA

View Full Version : 3 new bardic instruments

starwoof
2006-02-22, 12:00 AM
Ive been throwing these three around for several years and Im finally gonna put them to paper. Of sorts. Any input is helpful!

Axe of Amplification
The Axe of Amplification looks like a guitar with a side sharpened like an axe. The Axe of amplification funtions as a +1 waraxe. When wielded by somebody with at least 6 ranks in perform(string instruments) it can be used to uunlock its true powers. 3/day as a full round action the Axe of Amplification can deal 3d6 points of sonic damage in a 60 foot cone emanating from the weilder.

Air Guitar
An Air Guitar looks like a guitar made of semi-visible whirling wind. A weilder with at least 8 ranks in perform can use its special powers. 3/day its user can use levitate, as the spel, caster level 5thl. 1/day the wielder can use a Whirlwind as a large air elemental.

Guitar of Storms Greater Artefact
The Guitar of Storms appears to be a simple beat up guitar. But when held up into the air outside and the proper command word spoken, its special abilitys manifest. The first round it is held into the air storm clouds begin to form. The second round a strong wind kicks up. On the third round a lightning bolt streaks from the heavens and strikes the wielder and the guitar, transforming the guitar into a +4 shocking burst mithril greataxe. This ability can be used 3/day for up to 2 minutes at a time. If the wielder has at least 20 ranks in perform(string intruments) it can also unlock the very power of storms themselves. The weilder must be playing it to activate its powers. Every other round the weilder can call a lightning bolt from the storms above to strike an opponent within 400 feet of the guitar. This lightning bolt deals 10d10 points of electricity damage. Anyone who strikes the weilder of the guitar while it is active takes 5d10 points of lightning damage. This ability can be used 1/week for up to 2 minutes.

That Lanky Bugger
2006-02-22, 12:05 AM
Why do I have this sudden, horrible image of the Guitar of Storms in the hands of a bard who's actually using the thing at concerts?

Very nice. Consider them yoinked.

Maxymiuk
2006-02-22, 12:06 AM
When I read the axe description, I can't help but think of the electric guitar/axe from Bard's Tale.

And as for the guitar... Dominic Deegan (http://www.dominic-deegan.com//index.cgi?date=20051010) anyone?

Shhalahr Windrider
2006-02-22, 12:07 AM
Love them! They're really cool.

You just need to figure out those Aura/Item creation details (Market price, prerequisites, etc.)

CommanderFalken
2006-02-22, 12:27 AM
Those are awesome. I am SO using these...

Bard playing an 'air guitar'...priceless.

And the first one is so perfect for a dwarf bard...

starwoof
2006-02-22, 03:26 AM
Okay, you caught me. I did have these ideas in my head for years but The Bards Tale and Dominic Deegan finally made me make real stats.

I beat The BArds Tale last month and I spent my entire day reading through the archives of Dominic Deegan.

But I do need to make item creaton stuff for them. The Guitar of Storms is a greater artefact so thats mostly pointless, other than that its strong evocation. I could use help on that stuff cause Im not used to actually making my own items.

EDIT: Oh duh, heres the biggest inspiration for the Guitar of Storms. http://newgrounds.com/portal/view/195918

PhoeKun
2006-02-22, 03:45 AM
Okay, you caught me. I did have these ideas in my head for years but The Bards Tale and Dominic Deegan finally made me make real stats.

I beat The BArds Tale last month and I spent my entire day reading through the archives of Dominic Deegan.

But I do need to make item creaton stuff for them. The Guitar of Storms is a greater artefact so thats mostly pointless, other than that its strong evocation. I could use help on that stuff cause Im not used to actually making my own items.

Hey, if you're going to be inspired by something, you picked some good stuff to be inspired by. I realize it has nothing to do with these three items, but you should consider trying Dante's guitar (I've forgotten her name) from DMC3. It certainly fits the motif here.

Give me a few hours to research/sleep and I'll get back to you on the item creation front. Unless someone beats me to it.

Nero24200
2006-02-22, 05:15 AM
The ultimate weapon, but only if you use it like generic 80's rock bands

bye-bye monster
bye-bye new-stage equipment
We're gonna need another guitar

Hadrian_Emrys
2006-02-22, 05:19 AM
Dante's Axe would cast what equates to magic missles of a level equal to the wielding character's bard class level during each round of a use of bardic music. At the end of each use of bardic music said axe summons a phantasmal bat swarm around the player for a round or two... with, perhaps a few other traits as well. It'd be an artifact of the highest order. :P

Single Shot Zombie
2006-02-22, 07:29 AM
Those instruments are way cool. ;D

One problem, though; guitars don't exist in D&D.

Of course, lutes, mandolins and banjos DO exist, so if your players grouse, you could hand them the "Lute of Amplification", the "Air Mandolin" or the "Banjo of Storms" instead.

"Banjo of Storms"; hmmm........I wonder what would happen if Elan got his hands on that one?

McBish
2006-02-22, 09:48 AM
Reminds me of the anime FLCL. Weird show that.

A_Gray_Phantom
2006-02-22, 03:33 PM
The bard I've been playing specializes in a harmonica. The DM had no quarrels with it, and if it did come down to it, I woulda changed it to flute. But you can have anything you want in a D&D campaign.

I had an idea for an all bard team, that featured a half-orc barbarian/bard with an exotic weapon proficiency in battle-ax guitar.

"ME KANG! KANG SMASH PUNY HECKLER!! MEERAH!!!" **KA-KANG!!**

The "Axe of Amplification" sounds really powerful, almost too powerful. I'd recommend not reducing the power, but restricting who can use it. Make it an exotic weapon, restrict it's usage to someone with a higher base attack bonus, or increase the performance ranks necessary to evoke its power.

Also, the "Guitar of Storms," though very cool, may have a flaw. You say that a bolt of lightning strikes the wielder? Sounds like it might hurt. Well, since it is a greater artifact, it would make since that an item as powerful as this would have a safeguard. The wielder will have to figure a way to use it without hurting themselves.

But really cool all over 8)...

ccelizic
2006-02-22, 04:02 PM
I don't consider the amp affect too nasty. It's 3 times a day and considering that bards have access to shout (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/shout.htm) and greather shout (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/shoutGreater.htm) the affect is no more vicious then what a bard can hammer out as a spell, and this affect takes an ENTIRE full round action. I think giving it the ability to either use that ability OR create the affect of the spell "shatter" would be a nice touch.

I love casting shout, it may not be as deadly as other evocations, but shout is just a verbal component spell. I've had my bard scream at the top of his lungs at a pack of orcs like some punk blond rocker and have'em all keel over.

Now I have mental images of a bard using sudden quicken to fire off a shout accomponanied by a wicked guitar riff on the axe to deal additional sonic damage. Of course that would require 12 levels of feats as a human with one feat you can't even use.