PDA

View Full Version : New Race: The Saiyan =p

Piedmon_Sama
2006-02-20, 07:39 PM
Inspired by recent events ( ;)), I decided to convert the Saiyan race to D&D. It's not a literal translation, since that would break the game. I tried to fit them into the existing D&D universe without losing any of their original flavor. Certainly not for PC use except in the most high-power campaigns, but here they are:

Saiyan
Medium-sized Humanoid
Hit Dice: 4d8+2 (22 HP)
Initiative: +0
Speed: 30 ft.
AC: 21 (+5 breastplate, +6 natural)
Attacks: Greataxe +5, Unarmed Strike +5 or +3/+3
Damage: Greataxe 1d12+2, Unarmed Strike 1d6+2
Face/Reach: 5 ft x 5 ft/5 ft
Special Attacks: None
Special Qualities: Near Death Powerup, Oozaru Form, Ki Strike, Rage, Damage Reduction
Saves: Fortitude +3, Reflex +0, Will +0
Abilities: Str 15, Dex 10, Con 12, Int 11, Wis 10, Cha 9
Skills: Jump +5, Wilderness Lore +2
Feats: Power Attack, Improved Unarmed Strike
--------
Climate/Terrain: Any tundra, desert, mountain, jungle or underground.
Organization: Solitary, Squad (2-4), Hunting Pack (6-12, plus 1 leader of 3rd level), Warband (10-20 plus 1 leader of 3rd level) or Tribe (20-200, plus 100% noncombatants plus one 3rd level sergeant per 20 adults, one 6th level lieutenant per 40 adults, and 1 leader of 10th-12th level)
Challenge Rating: 6
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Usually Chaotic Evil
Advancement: By Character Class

The Saiyans are a race of barbaric humanoids found only in the furthest fringes of the known world. They look almost identical to humans with great manes of spiky black hair and dense, muscular bodies, but are far hardier and stronger. The only way to tell that a Saiyan is not a human is by their long, brown-furred tails. These tails are fully articulated, and Saiyans ordinarily keep them wound about the middle like some furry belt. The Saiyans are barbarians in the worst sense of the word, a society where only brute strength is given any consideration. They meet any problem with overwhelming violent force and think nothing of dispatching weaker victims.

The source of their power is an innate ability to channel ki. Ki is the energy of life itself, fueling the strength of every living creature. The monks of other races dedicate years of their lives to mastering its use, but Saiyans can harness theirs naturally.

Combat

To say that the Saiyans love fighting is an understatement---they live for fighting. They are well aware that their race develops power only through the crucible of battle, and power is everything to a Saiyan. They will fight for pleasure, or profit, but almost invariably attack anything they encounter that is not a Saiyan.

Near Death Powerup: Saiyans have a powerful innate trait that allows them to not only recover quickly from defeat, but grow stronger. If a Saiyan is reduced to 0 or lower HP during an encounter and survives, he receives double the ordinary amount of XP he would otherwise gain from the encounter.

Ki Strike: A saiyan's unarmed attacks count as a magical weapon for purposes of resolving Damage Reduction.

Rage: For most creatures, harnessing ki is a matter of focusing and honing the mind into a tranquil state of absolute clarity. Saiyans, however, can utilize their ki to its fullest effect when in the throes of pulse-pounding rage. A Saiyan can rage once per day, as a first level Barbarian can. Unlike the barbarian, the Saiyan can use this rage if he takes a lawful alignment.

Damage Reduction: Saiyans have a natural damage reduction of 5/+1.

Oozaru: The most dreaded ability of the Saiyans, and thankfully only rarely used. Any Saiyan who gazes upon a full moon automatically begins the transformation into an Oozaru--the great were-apes. The Saiyan becomes a Huge creature, with all the accordant stat adjustments. Any clothes or armor the Saiyan is wearing at the time--regardless of enchantment--is destroyed by the transformation. The transformation is a full-round action. Once fully transformed, the Saiyan's intelligence drops to 4 and its alignment is always chaotic evil. Any hitdice from class levels are doubled by the transformation. Upon transforming, the Saiyan immediately enters into a rage, even if it has expended its alloted number of rages. The rage does not end until the Saiyan reverts back to their medium-sized form.

A Saiyan's ability to turn Oozaru is dependent upon their tail. If a Saiyan loses his tail, he cannot transform into Oozaru. If he loses his tail while in Oozaru form, he immediately reverts to medium-sized form. If merely hacked off, the tail will regenerate in 1d4 weeks. It can only be permanently removed if it is taken out at the roots, up into the base of the Saiyan's back.

Saiyan Society: Saiyan society is brutally autocratic, with each tribe answering to a King who is usually the descendent of a pure dynasty. Saiyans are firm believers in rule by blood, the enhanced natural powers of a noble a sure sign of their superiority and right to rule. Nevertheless, if Saiyans can find no weaker race to fight, they will fight each other. This constant intercine struggle keeps their numbers thankfully low. The Saiyans have never developed any sort of technology of their own--everything they possess is scavenged from conquered and exterminated races. Although they loath non-Saiyans, they will lend their strength to those willing to pay, and it is not uncommon to see a powerful warlord in possession of a few Saiyan mercenaries.

Saiyan Characters: A Saiyan's favored class is Barbarian, and their leaders are typically Barbarians or Barbarian/Fighters. Most Saiyans encountered outside their homelands are Barbarians.

Saiyan Nobles & Elites: In Saiyan society, class is defined by power, and families of noble lineage are careful to breed for increased strength amongst their progeny. A Saiyan noble is a class above his brethren, born with a natural hitdie of 6D8 rather than two. They thus usually have around 40 HP, and are likely to be the highest-level creatures in any Saiyan tribe.

goken04
2006-02-20, 07:53 PM
I like it.

Of course, you know, you've just turned Goku into a Drizzt-clone.

Arakune
2006-02-20, 08:29 PM
turn then into a PC race! with more specifications! please!!!!!!

for antagonist just this are great, but it would be much more great to use then as a PC, maybe an ECL + 4~6 ? still cool!

oh yeah! some of the sayans can be Chaotic Neutral (gokuu father, vegita latter) or Chaotic Good (gokuu and others).

Yuki Akuma
2006-02-20, 08:40 PM
Strength and Constitution are rather low.

Humanoids have d8 HD.

Also, no mention of the Legendary Super Saiya-jin. For shame.

Also: Eeewwww...

On Goku being a Drizzt clone: I'm pretty sure Dragonball (the manga) came out before that scimitar-wielding pansy. Besides, Son Goku is only good because he has brain damage.

Wren
2006-02-20, 08:49 PM
Shouldn't it take 20 rounds to power-up?

King_of_GRiffins
2006-02-20, 09:11 PM
A nice translation of genre. My nitpicks, though. A races abilites shouldn't be tied to it's alighnment. The ability is inherent, and is not subject to it's mid-set. If it can change froms it shoudl be givin the 'shapshifter' title.

Aslo, the CR seems a bit high for it. 4, or 2 rather, seems more appropriate(At level 6- +4 Str + 6Bab = hit on anything higher than six. Either Increase AC or lower CR, your choice..) It should Also have an LA(+2 or 3)

It's alternate for is Huge right, so.. Minimum HD for a Humanoid is 1, and Huge 4, Ratio of 1:4, so when transformed it should have x4 Racial HD.

Near Death should be altered slightly to provide an NPC friendly version. Perhaps, if 0 or lower hp and survives, gains toughness and +2 insight bonus to dodge and attack against the person/group/orginization that defeated him. individuals and groups are likely to use the same tactics, and orginizations often have the same.

And Instead of +2d10 Hd to nobles, just make a Sayain with Barbarian 4/Sorcerer 2 as a Leader(6 or more levels over all should be good for a leader)

Darkie
2006-02-20, 09:16 PM
Also: Eeewwww...Well, somebody had to pander to the lowest common denominator
;)

Piedmon_Sama
2006-02-20, 09:32 PM
Strength and Constitution are rather low.

It'd be nigh-impossible to place the strength score of a Saiyan from Dragonball in D&D-Terms, so I diluted them down. +4 Str is plenty, IMO.

Humanoids have d8 HD.

You're right, I thought it was D10 for some reason. Fixed.

Also, no mention of the Legendary Super Saiya-jin. For shame.

That's a whole different can of worms, boyo.

Also: Eeewwww...

On Goku being a Drizzt clone: I'm pretty sure Dragonball (the manga) came out before that scimitar-wielding pansy. Besides, Son Goku is only good because he has brain damage.

I'm pretty sure Dragonball premiered sometime around '85, with Drizzt first appearing in '87 or '88.... but then, the whole concept of the Saiyans wasn't around until the series was in its third year. Perhaps chaotic loners throwing off the shackles of their destructive societies is a meme of the early 90's? =p

A nice translation of genre. My nitpicks, though. A races abilites shouldn't be tied to it's alignment. The ability is inherent, and is not subject to it's mind-set. If it can change froms it shoudl be givin the 'shapshifter' title.

You have a point in regards to the alignment. I was debating about that as I made it. Will change. As for making them shapeshifters, I don't know much about that type. (Rarely/never use them in my campaigns.) I'll look it up when I get back later tonight.

Also, the CR seems a bit high for it. 4, or 2 rather, seems more appropriate(At level 6- +4 Str + 6Bab = hit on anything higher than six. Either Increase AC or lower CR, your choice..) It should Also have an LA(+2 or 3)

Two would be the appropriate CR given their hitdie. You have to factor in the special abilities, though. This is just my own personal hangup, but I just can't accept them as Saiyans unless they have a base CR of at least five---when I come back later tonight I'll think about giving them natural armor.

It's alternate for is Huge right, so.. Minimum HD for a Humanoid is 1, and Huge 4, Ratio of 1:4, so when transformed it should have x4 Racial HD.

For a x4 of CR, I think? And that's in addition to double their class hitdie (so a level 6 Saiyan fighter has 12 d10 hitdie added). It properly reflects the rather apocalyptic implications of Oozaru, I should think.

Near Death should be altered slightly to provide an NPC friendly version. Perhaps, if 0 or lower hp and survives, gains toughness and +2 insight bonus to dodge and attack against the person/group/orginization that defeated him. individuals and groups are likely to use the same tactics, and orginizations often have the same.

Not sure what you mean by "NPC friendly." I didn't have it in mind to make this an option for PCs. Part of the whole deal of Saiyans is that they increase their power rapidly with every battle, making them a threat that can grow wildly out of control in a short amount of time (thus why Freeza had them virtually exterminated). I'm going with the assumption that HitDie is the D&D Equivelant to "Power Level," thus why Saiyans' hitdie will jump about all over the place.

And Instead of +2d10 Hd to nobles, just make a Sayain with Barbarian 4/Sorcerer 2 as a Leader(6 or more levels over all should be good for a leader)

Saiyans tend to rely on innate power more than anything else. They make it pretty clear that elites like Vegeta and Nappa are simply born with higher PLs/more hitdie than the commoners. Of course, a Noble will have much more opportunities for class advancement as he's privy to the best training the Saiyans can afford.

Rei_Jin
2006-02-20, 09:34 PM
It's not bad at all, but a couple of things I would probably do to it.

Give them powerful build, and an increase in speed (maybe to 40ft/round)

After that, a slight boost in the physical stats, and create a class for them called Saiyan Warrior. It would be a meld of the Wilder/Monk Prestige class.

Then they'd be worth a CR6 and a LA+4.

I'd play that purely for flavor.

BardicLasher
2006-02-20, 10:17 PM
Perhaps Advancement: 2-20 HD (Medium) or by Character Class would be better, allowing Saiyans like Brolly to simply be born with 20 HD of awesomeness.

As for racial abilities...
STR +4, CON +4, INT -2, CHA -2
Saiyans are very strong and tough, but not as mentally proficient as humans.

Near Death Powerup: When a Saiyan ends combat with an amount of HP less than his total HD, he recieves an 125% the experience he otherwise would.

Oozaru needs to be statted up on its own. I'd suggest just getting rid of it to avoid mass chaos, asan Oozaru has to be at least 20 HD.

Jarl
2006-02-20, 11:03 PM
The original storyline for DB as initially planned out went from the meeting of Goku and Bulma to the death of Frieza. So, the Saiyans were there from the begining, in a way.

-Aisde from that... yeah. looks good. I agree that Super Saiyan shouldn't perhaps be mentioned. That's sort of... I guess a powerful spell accessable to Saiyan Barbarians of extremely high levels... but that doesn't take the whole "destiny" thing into account, does it?

Piedmon_Sama
2006-02-21, 01:28 AM
Just my initial thought, but I'd figure the best way to represent a Super Saiyan would be with a template. There'd be a strict level/hitdie requirement and very specific circumstances would need to occur.

broderickdruce
2006-02-21, 01:50 AM
i have 2 little things.
1) add the Super Sayan Ability- kinda like a rage but not.
2) Shouldnt favored class be monk?

prufock
2006-02-21, 09:20 AM
You should add "Intense Stare" as a racial ability.

Intense Stare: This ability allows the saiyan to capture an enemy in an intense stare. The saiyan may take no other actions for 30 minutes. This ability has no effect on the enemy, but bores anyone observing the combat to tears. All observers within 60 feet are forced to change the channel or become affected as though by a Deep Slumber spell.

Yuki Akuma
2006-02-21, 09:24 AM
The original storyline for DB as initially planned out went from the meeting of Goku and Bulma to the death of Frieza. So, the Saiyans were there from the begining, in a way.

-Aisde from that... yeah. looks good. I agree that Super Saiyan shouldn't perhaps be mentioned. That's sort of... I guess a powerful spell accessable to Saiyan Barbarians of extremely high levels... but that doesn't take the whole "destiny" thing into account, does it?

Actually, any Saiya-jin can reach Super level. They just have to lose their tail first (which a Saiya-jin is loath to do, as it prevents them from transforming when the moon is full), and then train like Hell for years.

Or they can be half-Saiya-jin, which, for some reason, are stronger than full-bloods. That makes no sense, but whatever.

Arakune
2006-02-21, 12:11 PM
it's not stronger, just don't have the mental traits lowered.

if a normal sayan are +4 str +4 con -2 int -2 wis (they can be very charismatic in they ow way, but usualy are realy not soo sharp), then a half-sayan are +3 Str +3 Con without penalyties at all.

Vik
2006-02-21, 01:08 PM
A half-saiyan is certainly stronger than a full sayien ; or maybe the power acquired through training and/or near-death experience is transmissible ?
Just take a look at any of the half-sayians : at 10, they are stronger than Goku was at 20, and they're not even super-training.

AtomicKitKat
2006-02-21, 02:54 PM
Goku=Monkey King knock-off >:(

Yuki Akuma
2006-02-21, 03:08 PM
Goku=Monkey King knock-off >:(

...Well, yeah.

Your point?

Dragonball was based off of Journey to the South anyway! Come on, it has a shapeshifting pig.

Jarl
2006-02-21, 03:54 PM
West. Journey of the West.
And the tail thing is a myth. Unrelated coincidence. The previous legendary super Saiyan could only turn super Saiyan as an Oozaru.

-It's assumed that power is transmissable. Goten and Trunks were turning super Saiyan when they were 10. Well, chibi Trunks. Mirai Trunks needed Gohan to die first.

Piedmon_Sama
2006-02-21, 05:24 PM
I've been mulling over Half-Saiyans. I'd go with no stat adjustments at all (Gohan was a normal 4 year old kid....) but boost the benefits of their rage (...until he got angry.) Half-Saiyans are closer to normal humans unless they train, but they have a greater power that has to be unlocked through rage. (I might give them Ki Strike only available when raging...)

Yuki Akuma
2006-02-21, 05:29 PM
West, South.. same different...

:-[ Whoops.