PDA

View Full Version : [3.5]Looking for ideas on a fun gish build

Gorgondantess
2009-06-24, 03:57 PM
Ok, so I've recently built a new character for a game I'm in, a savage species aasimar (not intending on taking the LA) sorceror, with the following stats:
str: 12
dex: 16
con: 12
int: 18
wis: 8
cha: 20

yeah, they're pretty high stats, but its a high powered game.
Anyhow, I was originally intending on multiclassing this guy into warlock then going into eldritch theurge, but I've been feeling kindof iffy about that. And, I've always been a huge fan of gish builds.
So, I ask you playgrounders for ideas on how to turn this fellow into a fun, interesting gish type fellow. I'm not looking for ultra complex, rules-bending-feat-stacking builds and I'm not looking for power (though that's an ok side, if possible). I'd just like him to be fun to play, with some cool abilities. Normally I would've just gone with my tried and true sorceror/swashbuckler/abjurant champion/eldritch knight, but abjurant champion has been banned.:smallfrown:
So... any ideas? Bonus points if it incorporates some kind of skillmonkey element for a true jack of all trades, everything should come from WoTC sources, and we are using multiclassing penalties.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-06-24, 04:02 PM
Sorcerer/Crusader/Jade Phoenix Mage(ToB). Flavor to taste.

Yora
2009-06-24, 04:02 PM
I'd use fighter levels, to get some well needed combat feats, BAB, and hp.

Gorgondantess
2009-06-24, 04:04 PM
Sorcerer/Crusader/Jade Phoenix Mage(ToB). Flavor to taste.

Well, he's definitely more of a swashbuckler-y type than a crusader type. He's not exactly godly, despite his divine heritage. Would warblade work for that? And what's Jade Phoenix Mage?

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-06-24, 04:06 PM
I'd use fighter levels, to get some well needed combat feats, BAB, and hp.You want to get those from PrCs that advance casting. Caster levels are vital for your Quickened buffs and Extended 10 min/level defenses. HP and BAB are nice, but CL gets you things that can compensate.

@OP: Have you considered Lesser Aasimar rather than the SS version? Loses the Outsider type(so no Alter Self shenanigans), but keeps everything else.

Also, I forgot to mention a 1-level dip in Spellsword, since you don't get Abjurant Champ.

Edit:
Well, he's definitely more of a swashbuckler-y type than a crusader type. He's not exactly godly, despite his divine heritage. Would warblade work for that? And what's Jade Phoenix Mage?JPM is a PrC from the book. I'd recommend SS rather than Warblade, the Disciplines match better.

Keld Denar
2009-06-24, 04:09 PM
Abjurant Champion banned? Thats sad as it cuts out the standard and simple Paladin2/Sorcerer4/Spellsword1/AbjChamp5/SacEx8...

The other simple gish build is wizard based. Fighter1/Wizard4/Spellsword1/EldritchKnight10/X4 which again, AbjChamp would be a large part of.

Really, what is your DMs problem with Abjurant Champion?

Hmmm, what would you think of a Suel Arcanamach build? That could be fun.

Barbarian2/Duskblade2/Paladin2/SuelArcanamach4/RageMage6/SacEx4

would be fun, you'd have to use Paladin of Freedom from UA for this though. Starts out nearly completely a non-caster, picking up some tasty Suel casting from 7 on up. Not great, but how many other builds can successfully incorporate RAGE MAGE into a build and not be bad?

Gorgondantess
2009-06-24, 04:10 PM
You want to get those from PrCs that advance casting. Caster levels are vital for your Quickened buffs and Extended 10 min/level defenses. HP and BAB are nice, but CL gets you things that can compensate.

@OP: Have you considered Lesser Aasimar rather than the SS version? Loses the Outsider type(so no Alter Self shenanigans), but keeps everything else.

Also, I forgot to mention a 1-level dip in Spellsword, since you don't get Abjurant Champ.

Edit:JPM is a PrC from the book. I'd recommend SS rather than Warblade, the Disciplines match better.

Yes, well... what PrCs advance casting much? Other than abj. champ.
I did consider lesser aasimar- DM wouldn't allow it.
Spellsword looks ok, but the heavy armor requisite scares me- besides, all I'll need is a twilight mithral chain shirt and I'm set on armor.

SS won't work. See the above stats- my wisdom is abysmal.

Gorgondantess
2009-06-24, 04:13 PM
Abjurant Champion banned? Thats sad as it cuts out the standard and simple Paladin2/Sorcerer4/Spellsword1/AbjChamp5/SacEx8...

The other simple gish build is wizard based. Fighter1/Wizard4/Spellsword1/EldritchKnight10/X4 which again, AbjChamp would be a large part of.

Really, what is your DMs problem with Abjurant Champion?

Hmmm, what would you think of a Suel Arcanamach build? That could be fun.

Barbarian2/Duskblade2/Paladin2/SuelArcanamach4/RageMage6/SacEx4

would be fun. Starts out nearly completely a non-caster, picking up some tasty Suel casting from 7 on up. Not great, but how many other builds can successfully incorporate RAGE MAGE into a build and not be bad?

Well, as I've said, I'm starting out with a level in sorceror- already said and done.
Abjurant champion is banned because... well, it's complicated, but someone else will be taking it and he got to it first and the DM only wants one PrC per person.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-06-24, 04:18 PM
Bard/Crusader.

Keld Denar
2009-06-24, 04:19 PM
Wait, your DM only wants one PrC per character? Or only one character with any given PrC? Because what you said was kinda confusing. If its one PrC per character, your DM is kinda a ****, and your best shot at building this would be something like a Fighter1/Wizard6/EK10/Wizard+3, which is gonna be severly lacking in BAB. If its on character per PrC, you might consider doing something less Gishy since the other guy has that covered. You could go with a more sneaky focused caster like a Spelltheif1/Sorcerer4/UnseenSeer10/ArcaneTrickster5 with Master Spelltheif, or you could go for more of a straight caster type like a Sorcerer9/InitiateOf7foldVeils7/Archmage4.

Are you sure you want to be a gish?

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-06-24, 04:19 PM
Yes, well... what PrCs advance casting much? Other than abj. champ.
I did consider lesser aasimar- DM wouldn't allow it.
Spellsword looks ok, but the heavy armor requisite scares me- besides, all I'll need is a twilight mithral chain shirt and I'm set on armor.

SS won't work. See the above stats- my wisdom is abysmal.Jade Phoenix only loses 2 levels of casting, and a 3rd for the prerequisites. You go Sorc 5/SS 1/JPM 10/X 4. Wis doesn't matter, since you only take one level(you dont even get Wis to AC until level 2), though Crusader would work better(and open up Spellsword). I just don't like requiring Twilight, since it's a +1 and a fairly specific thing dependant on the DM.

Fractional BAB/saves?

2009-06-24, 04:21 PM
Ok then, here's a simple build I've been playing around with recently. You've already decided Aasimar Sorcerer, so why not back that up with two levels in Paladin. High charisma will give you good saves across the board and having diplomacy as a class skill gives you a solid piece of non-combat spotlight. Diplomacy is always useful. Two levels instead of one violates that most sacred rule of character optimisation, but it's still a fun build. You reach Eldritch Knight at level 8 or Spellsword (Complete Warrior, page 79) at level 6.

Decent power, focused skills, no multiclass penalty (Aasimar favour the Paladin class, right?).

OR

Play a Battle Sorcerer (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#sorcererVariantBattleS orcerer).

No lost caster levels and decent melee potential (one martial weapon and light armour), but no extra skills beyond the Sorcerer selection. You can stay in the class from Level 1 to Level 20 and never stop being a gish.

Simple, solid spellcasting, limited skills, no multiclass penalty.

OR

Start in the Battle Sorcerer class or spend a feat on a melee weapon proficiency. Then go here for the Swiftblade.
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20070327

You can meet the requirements at level 6 (two/three feats and Haste as a known spell) which is the fastest it's possible to qualify and you can max out all the class skills with your high INT. The class features are interesting, although you do give up four caster levels. It arguably fits your high DEX better than the other options. The Wizards website counts as a WotC source, right?

Unique, good skills, and still no multiclass penalty.

Tell me if you want more advice on character construction. I enjoy doing this stuff.:smallsmile:

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-06-24, 04:24 PM
Ok then, here's a simple build I've been playing around with recently. You've already decided Aasimar Sorcerer, so why not back that up with two levels in Paladin. High charisma will give you good saves across the board and having diplomacy as a class skill gives you a solid piece of non-combat spotlight. Diplomacy is always useful. Two levels instead of one violates that most sacred rule of character optimisation, but it's still a fun build. You reach Eldritch Knight at level 8 or Spellsword (Complete Warrior, page 79) at level 6.

Decent power, focused skills, no multiclass penalty (Aasimar favour the Paladin class, right?).
Also, Alter Self into a Dwarven Defender for +18 NA.

Between that and Wraithstrike, you should have something decent.

Gorgondantess
2009-06-24, 04:26 PM
Wait, your DM only wants one PrC per character? Or only one character with any given PrC? Because what you said was kinda confusing. If its one PrC per character, your DM is kinda a ****, and your best shot at building this would be something like a Fighter1/Wizard6/EK10/Wizard+3, which is gonna be severly lacking in BAB. If its on character per PrC, you might consider doing something less Gishy since the other guy has that covered. You could go with a more sneaky focused caster like a Spelltheif1/Sorcerer4/UnseenSeer10/ArcaneTrickster5 with Master Spelltheif, or you could go for more of a straight caster type like a Sorcerer9/InitiateOf7foldVeils7/Archmage4.

Are you sure you want to be a gish?

Yes, I'm pretty sure I want to be a gish, but only if I can find a fun build. That's why I made this thread.
You can take as many PrCs as you want, but only if someone else hasn't taken it. One character per PrC.
That second build looks ok, but my last character was going to go a similar route, and it would feel kindof redundant. nevertheless, I'll consider it.

Jade Phoenix only loses 2 levels of casting, and a 3rd for the prerequisites. You go Sorc 5/SS 1/JPM 10/X 4. Wis doesn't matter, since you only take one level(you dont even get Wis to AC until level 2), though Crusader would work better(and open up Spellsword). I just don't like requiring Twilight, since it's a +1 and a fairly specific thing dependant on the DM.
Fractional BAB/saves?
But aren't the strikes and stuff still based on wisdom? And why wouldn't warblade work for JPM (which, coincidentally, also happens to have better BAB:smalltongue:)
Yes, we're using fractional BAB. Not sure about saves, but I think I have those pretty much covered.

Gorgondantess
2009-06-24, 04:29 PM

OR

Play a Battle Sorcerer (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#sorcererVariantBattleS orcerer).

No lost caster levels and decent melee potential (one martial weapon and light armour), but no extra skills beyond the Sorcerer selection. You can stay in the class from Level 1 to Level 20 and never stop being a gish.

Simple, solid spellcasting, limited skills, no multiclass penalty.

OR

Start in the Battle Sorcerer class or spend a feat on a melee weapon proficiency. Then go here for the Swiftblade.
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20070327

You can meet the requirements at level 6 (two/three feats and Haste as a known spell) which is the fastest it's possible to qualify and you can max out all the class skills with your high INT. The class features are interesting, although you do give up four caster levels. It arguably fits your high DEX better than the other options. The Wizards website counts as a WotC source, right?

Unique, good skills, and still no multiclass penalty.

Tell me if you want more advice on character construction. I enjoy doing this stuff.:smallsmile:
Ehem. As has been stated previously, I'm kindof... chaotic neutral. I've also already taken a level in sorceror and began playing the character, so going battle sorceror will be tricky.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-06-24, 04:32 PM
But aren't the strikes and stuff still based on wisdom? And why wouldn't warblade work for JPM (which, coincidentally, also happens to have better BAB:smalltongue:)The only strikes based on Wis are those with saves. Avoid the 3 of them, and you never have to deal with it. And yes, Warblade should work, but JPM is focused on Desert Wind and Devoted Spirit. Warblade gets neither of those.

Person_Man
2009-06-24, 04:34 PM
Echo the Active:

Human Factotum (forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=791436) 3/Warblade (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20060802a&page=2) 2/Chameleon (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20041210b&page=1) 5/Warblade 3

At this ECL you get:

+8 BAB
All Skills as Class Skills
Int bonus applied to tons of different checks (Str/Dex Skills, Trip/Bull Rush/Disarm/Grapple, critical confirmation, Saves, etc).
4th level manuevers (and you can choose a different one every morning using Martial Study as one of your floating feats)
4th level divine or arcane spells (I suggest Divine spells. Like an Archivist, you can use Cleric, Druid, Blackguard, Paladin, Ranger, domain, PrC, spells, but without the need for a prayer book. And many 3rd and 4th level Blackguard/Paladin/Ranger spells are the equivalent of 5th or 6th level Cleric spells (the easiest example is Holy Sword (www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/holySword.htm), but the splat books are filled with them).

Take the Exotic Weapon proficiency feat, and learn what it can do (www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5266526). You can swap this out to be any exotic weapon each morning using the Warblade's Weapon Aptitude ability. If you want, you can swap out Warblade for Master of Masks (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20070105a&page=3), as it gives you access to every Exotic Weapon.

The Chameleon bonus feat can swap out it's bonus feat every morning.

The Heroics spell (Spell Compendium) gives you a Fighter bonus feat of your choice that you otherwise qualify for. As a 2nd level Sorcerer Wizard spell, it's quite easy for you to cast yourself or put in a wand. It lasts 10 minutes per level, so you rarely need to bother with Persistent Spell or other chicanery.

You could also do a psionic or incarnum or binder version of this build, using your floating bonus feat to gain a different power every morning using Expanded Knowledge, Shape Soulmeld, or Bind Vestige. And/or you can do a Marshal (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20030906b) version, to gain your Cha bonus to Bull Rush/Trip/etc checks.

With some creativity and planning, this build can pretty much do anything.

Gorgondantess
2009-06-24, 04:35 PM
The only strikes based on Wis are those with saves. Avoid the 3 of them, and you never have to deal with it. And yes, Warblade should work, but JPM is focused on Desert Wind and Devoted Spirit. Warblade gets neither of those.

...So, I take some diamond mind and iron heart for my one level of warblade, then start up with desert wind and devoted spirit once I go into JPM. What's the problem there? It's not like you need all your strikes and stances to be of the same school. Is it?:smalleek:

lsfreak
2009-06-24, 04:35 PM
Only the saves for a handful of strikes are based of Wisdom. Most of the good stuff doesn't allow saves, so it doesn't really matter. The BAB doesn't matter because you just take the Discipline Focus for whatever weapon you're using (most likely shadow hand or diamond mind, if you're doing a swashbuckler-type) to get the +1AB from that.

SS also fits swashbuckler a lot better, getting things like Island of Blades stance and Counter Charge that fit right in with an agile fighter.

EDIT: You won't be able to get, or at least have a hard time getting, the higher-level maneuvers within Desert Wind and Devoted Spirit because you won't be able to qualify for them with nothing in them to start with. At least with SS you start out with some in Desert Wind for prerequisites.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-06-24, 04:37 PM
*snipped*Please people, read the OP. He's playing a Sorcerer. He does not need builds using Wizard, Wu Jen, or Chameleon casting, he needs Standard Sorcerer/X builds that he can Gish with. :smallannoyed:

Keld Denar
2009-06-24, 05:11 PM
Yea, hes facing a couple of optimization problems. A) Hes got a build in progress, which limits options and B) Hes limited out of one of the best, most vital Gish PrCs in the game. Given that there are really only about 4-5 gish PrCs, thats tough to work with.

Maybe some kind of Sorcerer/Bard/Paladin/SublimeChord/EldrichKnight build?

I dunno....

Gorgondantess
2009-06-24, 05:19 PM
Yea, hes facing a couple of optimization problems. A) Hes got a build in progress, which limits options and B) Hes limited out of one of the best, most vital Gish PrCs in the game. Given that there are really only about 4-5 gish PrCs, thats tough to work with.

Maybe some kind of Sorcerer/Bard/Paladin/SublimeChord/EldrichKnight build?

I dunno....

Wow, that's some scary multiclassing right there. Yeah, it's looking kindof hopeless. Oh well.:smallsigh:

ex cathedra
2009-06-24, 05:22 PM
I would suggest Sorcerer X/Swiftblade (6 or 9, depending on how many other caster levels you lose)/whatever. Get those boots that substitute Str for Cha after you move 10 ft. in a round, and go to town. Paladin 2 would give you excellent saves and synergy, but you'd lose ninth level spells, so I strongly suggest against that. Swiftblade loses CL at 1, 4, 7, and 10, but is otherwise a very fun PrC. Swiftblade is online at the wizards site.

Gorgondantess
2009-06-24, 05:31 PM
I would suggest Sorcerer X/Swiftblade (6 or 9, depending on how many other caster levels you lose)/whatever. Get those boots that substitute Str for Cha after you move 10 ft. in a round, and go to town. Paladin 2 would give you excellent saves and synergy, but you'd lose ninth level spells, so I strongly suggest against that. Swiftblade loses CL at 1, 4, 7, and 10, but is otherwise a very fun PrC. Swiftblade is online at the wizards site.

That... would actually work very well. I'm seriously considering doing this.:smallredface:

Keld Denar
2009-06-24, 05:33 PM
Oh, yea...Swiftblade. Its a good class. Relatively well balanced too, instead of being pretty far up on the power curve like many optimized gish builds. The prereqs are a little...iffy, but if you take Expeditious Dodge instead of regular Dodge, and enchant Mobility on your armor, you can get into the class with minimal crappy feats invested.

Gorgondantess
2009-06-24, 05:36 PM
Oh, yea...Swiftblade. Its a good class. Relatively well balanced too, instead of being pretty far up on the power curve like many optimized gish builds. The prereqs are a little...iffy, but if you take Expeditious Dodge instead of regular Dodge, and enchant Mobility on your armor, you can get into the class with minimal crappy feats invested.

Well, the DM is pretty RAW-centric, so I think he'd only let me take it if I honestly took both dodge and mobility as feats. It should work out though- I managed to grab 2 flaws.

2009-06-24, 05:41 PM
Ehem. As has been stated previously, I'm kindof... chaotic neutral. I've also already taken a level in sorceror and began playing the character, so going battle sorceror will be tricky.

A challenge! I like it. No paladin and no alternate Sorcerer. I bet I can do something with that.

Which feat did you take at first level? I ask because that Swiftblade prestige class is accessible with six levels in Sorcerer but only if you have a martial weapon proficiency (probably by feat) and Dodge and Mobility. That's all your feats at level 6, so it's not that easy if you've already taken a feat not on that list, and it's not that fun if you can't take Weapon Finesse until level 9. Might have to shelve that idea unless your DM is prepared to be flexible/generous.

A lot of these builds fall foul of the experience penalty. You can bypass this if you can get your DM to accept the feat Diverse Background from Races of Destiny. This feat allows a character to take a second favoured class, but lists "half-human" as a prerequisite and can only be taken at first level so I'm assuming you can't get it. Nevertheless, I thought I'd mention it.

Taking levels in Swashbuckler to qualify for Eldritch Knight as an Aasimar doesn't work. I can't overstate how important it is to qualify for a prestige class that supports your melee and casting as soon as possible, so the obvious build would be Sorcerer6/Swashbuckler1/Eldritch Knight~. The major caveat is there's no way to avoid taking an XP penalty with that build as an Aasimar. Swashbuckler5 avoids this, but will put you six caster levels behind a straight sorcerer after one level in Eldritch Knight. Third level spells at character level 13 is hardly a gish at all. So that idea is off the table as well.

Spellsword requires heavy armour, so that's off the table as a Swashbuckler. Fighter3/Sorcerer4 is one level of Fighter more than a character with a more favourable favourite class would take, but it saves you an XP penalty. You lose a lot of caster levels in the Spellsword class, but at least you gain gishly class features as compensation. Unless you happened to take the Precocious Apprentice feat at level 1, you can't use that as a quick backdoor entry to the class unless (once again) your DM really likes you.

Finally, I didn't think of this straight away because when I hear "gish" I think "tough melee arcane spellcaster" but there are a few options for Sorcerer/Rogue characters. Not tough but definitely skilled, and you wanted skilled.

Sorcerer6/Rogue5 buys access to the Arcane Trickster class. Any ten level prestige class that you can only qualify for at level 12 leaves something to be desired.

Sorcerer3/Rogue2 and more feats than you'd ever have at level 5 gets into the Daggerspell Mage class (Complete Adventurer, page 31, but you need Weapon Focus: Dagger, Two-Weapon Fighting, and Practiced Spellcaster to have a caster level of 5 at character level 5). You could pad this build to get more time to pick up feats.

Sorcerer2/Rogue3 or Sorcerer3/Rogue2 works for the Unseen Seer (Complete Mage, page 81), but the first one only because you have a stupidly high INT modifier and you may have to take your DM aside and read through the rules on cross-class skills very carefully. Make sure you have Detect Magic and Detect Poison on your spell list and you can meet the other requirement with ease. Look at the fluff and the mechanics before you decide on this one. This prestige class can be useful as a gateway to the other Arcane Rogue classes in the same way that many people dip into Spellsword for one level and then move on to another prestige class. Remember that prestige classes NEVER count for multiclassing penalties.

I could probably kick this around more, but I'll wait to get more feedback from you. For your character without rulebending, I recommend either the Sorcerer4/Fighter3/Spellsword build or the Sorcerer/Rogue/Unseen Seer build depending on your preference for heavy armour or backstabbing.

One last thing...

Yeah, it's looking kind of hopeless. Oh well.:smallsigh:

...never underestimate the internet as a source of character optimizers with too much time on their hands.:smallsmile: Long post is long.

Gorgondantess
2009-06-24, 05:54 PM
A challenge! I like it. No paladin and no alternate Sorcerer. I bet I can do something with that.

Which feat did you take at first level? I ask because that Swiftblade prestige class is accessible with six levels in Sorcerer but only if you have a martial weapon proficiency (probably by feat) and Dodge and Mobility. That's all your feats at level 6, so it's not that easy if you've already taken a feat not on that list, and it's not that fun if you can't take Weapon Finesse until level 9. Might have to shelve that idea unless your DM is prepared to be flexible/generous.

A lot of these builds fall foul of the experience penalty. You can bypass this if you can get your DM to accept the feat Diverse Background from Races of Destiny. This feat allows a character to take a second favoured class, but lists "half-human" as a prerequisite and can only be taken at first level so I'm assuming you can't get it. Nevertheless, I thought I'd mention it.

Taking levels in Swashbuckler to qualify for Eldritch Knight as an Aasimar doesn't work. I can't overstate how important it is to qualify for a prestige class that supports your melee and casting as soon as possible, so the obvious build would be Sorcerer6/Swashbuckler1/Eldritch Knight~. The major caveat is there's no way to avoid taking an XP penalty with that build as an Aasimar. Swashbuckler5 avoids this, but will put you six caster levels behind a straight sorcerer after one level in Eldritch Knight. Third level spells at character level 13 is hardly a gish at all. So that idea is off the table as well.

Spellsword requires heavy armour, so that's off the table as a Swashbuckler. Fighter3/Sorcerer4 is one level of Fighter more than a character with a more favourable favourite class would take, but it saves you an XP penalty. You lose a lot of caster levels in the Spellsword class, but at least you gain gishly class features as compensation. Unless you happened to take the Precocious Apprentice feat at level 1, you can't use that as a quick backdoor entry to the class unless (once again) your DM really likes you.

Finally, I didn't think of this straight away because when I hear "gish" I think "tough melee arcane spellcaster" but there are a few options for Sorcerer/Rogue characters. Not tough but definitely skilled, and you wanted skilled.

Sorcerer6/Rogue5 buys access to the Arcane Trickster class. Any ten level prestige class that you can only qualify for at level 12 leaves something to be desired.

Sorcerer3/Rogue2 and more feats than you'd ever have at level 5 gets into the Daggerspell Mage class (Complete Adventurer, page 31, but you need Weapon Focus: Dagger, Two-Weapon Fighting, and Practiced Spellcaster to have a caster level of 5 at character level 5). You could pad this build to get more time to pick up feats.

Sorcerer2/Rogue3 or Sorcerer3/Rogue2 works for the Unseen Seer (Complete Mage, page 81), but the first one only because you have a stupidly high INT modifier and you may have to take your DM aside and read through the rules on cross-class skills very carefully. Make sure you have Detect Magic and Detect Poison on your spell list and you can meet the other requirement with ease. Look at the fluff and the mechanics before you decide on this one. This prestige class can be useful as a gateway to the other Arcane Rogue classes in the same way that many people dip into Spellsword for one level and then move on to another prestige class. Remember that prestige classes NEVER count for multiclassing penalties.

I could probably kick this around more, but I'll wait to get more feedback from you. For your character without rulebending, I recommend either the Sorcerer4/Fighter3/Spellsword build or the Sorcerer/Rogue/Unseen Seer build depending on your preference for heavy armour or backstabbing.

One last thing...

...never underestimate the internet as a source of character optimizers with too much time on their hands.:smallsmile: Long post is long.

Well, let's see...
While the guy can be the DM from hell from time to time, he's surprisingly lenient on certain things- for example, we can retrain all feats and skills as much as we want every level for no penalty.
I also took 2 flaws.
So, by level 3, I can pack 4 feats of my choice, enough for almost any PrC qualifications.
Now, I'd honestly prefer not to go into something like eldritch knight other than some padding (like the last few levels up to lvl 20). It's a boring class.
In the end, though, I want to be able to cast 8th level spells and have BAB in the range of 15+ by level 20.
I prefer unseen seer to arcane trickster any day of the week, hands down.
Daggerspell mage is ok, but...
1st, it requires entrance to some wonky order. The DM actually might enforce that, and if we don't have said order on our world...
2nd, I don't see the character as a dual-wielding dagger kind of guy- more of a rapier/buckler style.

Keld Denar
2009-06-24, 06:03 PM
Dang...to bad about your Chaotic Neutralness. Sacred Exorcist would be perfect for you after Swiftblade. 3/4 BAB and full casting, plus it grants Turn Undead, which alone sucks, but can be used to power a large number of Divine and Devotion feats like Law/Chaos Devotion or Divine Might.

Daggerspell Mage is kinda....crappy. It requires TWFing, and most gish builds tend to thrive best as 2handed Power Attackers. TWFing is also VERY feat intensive, and being a gish tends to be feat intensive, and you only have so many feats, even with flaws...

ex cathedra
2009-06-24, 06:14 PM
That... would actually work very well. I'm seriously considering doing this.:smallredface:

I'm glad. :smallredface: If you don't mind losing level 9 spells, the swiftblade's capstone ability is somewhat cool. Turns haste into time stop.

Gorgondantess
2009-06-24, 06:19 PM
I'm glad. :smallredface: If you don't mind losing level 9 spells, the swiftblade's capstone ability is somewhat cool. Turns haste into time stop.

...Which is a 9th level spell.:smallbiggrin:

2009-06-24, 06:55 PM
Well, let's see...
While the guy can be the DM from hell from time to time, he's surprisingly lenient on certain things- for example, we can retrain all feats and skills as much as we want every level for no penalty.
I also took 2 flaws.
So, by level 3, I can pack 4 feats of my choice, enough for almost any PrC qualifications.
Now, I'd honestly prefer not to go into something like eldritch knight other than some padding (like the last few levels up to lvl 20). It's a boring class.
In the end, though, I want to be able to cast 8th level spells and have BAB in the range of 15+ by level 20.
I prefer unseen seer to arcane trickster any day of the week, hands down.
Daggerspell mage is ok, but...
1st, it requires entrance to some wonky order. The DM actually might enforce that, and if we don't have said order on our world...
2nd, I don't see the character as a dual-wielding dagger kind of guy- more of a rapier/buckler style.

Having four feats open at level 3 is a wonderful thing. Why did you sound so despondent before?

I'd strongly recommend the Swiftblade prestige class at level 6. You can take Dodge, Mobility, Weapon Proficiency: Rapier and Weapon Finesse to comfortably slot in as early as possible with a feat to spare. (I recommend Power Attack, see below.) It's a fun class. Don't worry about Shield Proficiency, a mithral buckler is usable without it. You don't want a heavier shield anyway, not with Weapon Finesse. Invest in the extremely popular Twilight Mithral Chain Shirt if you can and go to town. Easy.:smallwink:

I have one other trick up my sleeve that not everyone will know for builds that use wide crit weapons. The rapier has been a generally inferior choice to a longsword in terms of damage since 3.5 ruled that Keen and Improved Critical don't stack. However, there are two critical enhancers that do. The Blessed weapon property (Magic Item Compendium, page 29) or the Bless Weapon spell causes criticals to auto confirm on an evil target. You may not be good-aligned, but I'll assume you'll be fighting a few evil monsters at some point based on the fact that you're playing DnD.:smallamused: Against an enemy you have a 50% chance of hitting, it doubles the multiplying effect of your critical range (ie. +15% to +30%). It doesn't stack with any magical effect that enhances criticals...but the Improved Critical feat isn't magical. Take the two together, and your rapier deals an average of 160% of it's normal base damage. This synergises well with Power Attack. You probably weren't thinking of picking that feat up but I'll point out that the feat also synergises with spells that increase your melee accuracy, the bread and butter of any gish. Pick up Power Attack (you can bump your strength to 13 at level 4), Improved Critical: Rapier (eventually), Blessed Weapon, and a spell like Wraithstrike (Spell Compendium, page 243), and you can deal buckets of damage.

Incidentally, I agree about the Eldritch Knight class. It's boring. Less so under Pathfinder (you get bonus feats and a fairly awesome capstone ability).

Gorgondantess
2009-06-24, 07:00 PM
...Actually, looking at the SRD description of bless weapon...

In addition, all critical hit rolls against evil foes are automatically successful, so every threat is a critical hit. This last effect does not apply to any weapon that already has a magical effect related to critical hits, such as a keen weapon or a vorpal sword.
Damnit, why do the rules have to suck all the fun out of theser things?:smallannoyed:

2009-06-24, 07:05 PM
In addition, all critical hit rolls against evil foes are automatically successful, so every threat is a critical hit. This last effect does not apply to any weapon that already has a magical effect related to critical hits, such as a keen weapon or a vorpal sword.

The Improved Critical feat is not a magical effect, therefore...

Gorgondantess
2009-06-24, 07:07 PM
The Improved Critical feat is not a magical effect, therefore...

Oh. Well, there you go. Nevertheless, I'll have to wait until... 12th level to take improved crit. Loooong time coming, my friend.

2009-06-24, 07:16 PM
No kidding. I was considering the same trick for that Paladin build I mentioned earlier (falchion wielder, but the same principle). Without the feat, Keen is probably better than Blessed. Still, you don't have to marry the weapon. You can trade one for the other at a later date.

And I make it 11th level, which would be semantic if your DM didn't let you retrain feats.