PDA

View Full Version : Prestige Class: Bone Monk

Bluance
2009-06-26, 09:16 PM
This is my first try at creating..anything really. And the prestige class called the 'osteomancer' from a dragon magazine looked really interesting, but it looked far more interesting as a monk-like class and i thought i would change that. Any comments would be great, spelling mistakes and the like thanks!

Bone Monk
Requirements:
Base Attack Bonus: +3
Skills: Authohypnosis 4
Feats: Endurance, Iron Will, Improved Unarmed Strike.

HD d8

skills 4+int Modifier.

Class Skills: As monk + Autohypnosis.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Bone Monks gain no proficiency with any weapon or armor.

Monk Abilities: A Bone Monk's class levels stack with his monk levels for determining his unarmed damage, AC bonus, and unarmored speed bonus, and stack for determining how many times per day you can use the stunning fist feat.

Immunity to disease (Ex.): Due to their phenomenal understanding of bone and the role it plays in the immune system, Bone Monks are immune to disease, including supernatural and magical diseases.

Bone Spurs (Ex.): A Bone Monks disciplined mind and body can work together to tak total control of his skeleton to break his skin and protrude, causing him no damage or disability whatsoever. The protruding bones can be used to deal damage as an unarmed strike of one size category larger than the Bone Monk's current size. As the Bone Monk gains higher level his Bone Spurs provide damage reduction 1/Bludgeoning, the damage reduction improves as the Bone Monk gains level, according to the number next to Bone Spurs on the table.

Skeletal Shift (Ex.): As a standard action, 2nd-level Bone Monks can shift the bone structure of their limbs and face (Including teeth) to appear as a different person, at will. This ability grants a +3 bonus on disguise checks.

Iron Bones (Ex.): A 4th-level Bone Monk's bone spurs act as Cold Iron weapons for the purpose of over comming damage reduction. Also the type of weapon needed to overcome the bone spur's damage reduction changes from Bludgeoning to Cold Iron.

Expansion/Compression(Psi.): Beginning at 4th level, once per day, the Bone Monk can may use Expansion or Compression on himself, as cast by a manifester of the Bone Monk's class level. He gains one daily use of each power.

Seize the Core (Su.): A 5th-level Bone Monk can expend a use of his stunning fist feat in order to take temporary control of the skeleton of his opponents, paralyzing them. He can affect one creature within 60 feet, the creature must make a Fortitude Save (DC 10+Bone Monk level+Wisdom Modifier). A creature that fails the saving throw is subjects to the same effect as if he had failed his saving throw against the stunning fist feat. As this ability targets the bone structure of a being, rather than its mind, corporeal undead are subject to its effect. A winged creature affected by this ability cannot flap its wings and falls. A swimmer cannot swim and might drown. Creatures immune to paralysis are not immune to this effect.

Silver Bones (Ex.): A 5th-level Bone Monk's bone spurs act as both Silver and Cold Iron weapons for the purpose of over comming damage reduction. Also the type of weapon needed to overcome the bone spur's damage reduction changes from Cold Iron to Silver.

Aligned Bones(Su): At 6th level, and Bone Monk's bone spurs take on any non-neutral alignment the character has (chatotic, evil, good, or lawful) for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction. The type of weapon needed to overcome the Bone Monks damage reduction must be the opposed to his alignments, as well as silver.

Adamantine Bones(Ex.): a 7th level Bone Monk's bone spurs act as Cold Iron, Silver, and Adamantine for the purpose of over comming damage reduction. The type of weapon needed to overcome the damage reduction changes from Silver to Adamantine (In addition to the alignment of the 'Aligned Bones' class feature).

Sap Life (Su): As a touch attack, an 8th level Bone Monk can cause a malaise to settle into the core of an opponent's bones. This effect deals 2d4 points of Strength damage unless the opponent makes a Fortitude save with a DC equal to the DC of his stunning fist feat. The Bone Monk can use this ability a number of times per day equal to 1 plus his Wisdom modifier (Minimum 1). This ability can only affect living creatures with a skeleton

Wield the Core(Su): at 9th level, the Bone Monk can telepathically control the physical actions of ay creature with a skeleton. The target creature must be within 30 feet, and is allowed a fortitude save (DC 10+Bone Monk level+Wisdom Modifier) to negate the effect. On a failed save, the Bone Monk can control the movements of the esubject by forcing its bones to move however the Bone Monk wills.
The effect only allows the Bone Monk to control the movement of the creature's bone structure, and not its mind. Thus, the Bone Monk cannot make the controlled creature speak, but he can cause the creature's jaws to clench shut, which would prevent a character from casting a spell with a verbal component or using an item that has a command word. This effect lasts for 1 minute per Bone Monk level. Obviously self-destructive commands, such as forcing the creature to walk off a cliff or jump into lava, end the effect. Once control is established, the range at which it can be exercised is unlimited, as long as the Bone Monk has line of effect to the subject. Because the Bone Monk must remain in line of effect (and therefore potentially keeping himself in harm's way), commanding a creature to face an obviously superior foe does not end the effect. As this power targets the bone structure of a being, rather than its mind, corporeal undead are subject to its effect. The Bone Monk can use this power three times per day.

Osteophage (Su): This 10th-level ability is the most lethal power at the Bone Monk's command. Once per day, an Bone Monk can cause the skeleton of a target to liquefy in a matter of seconds, causing the target to collapse in on itself This collapse causes instant death on a failed Fortitude save (DC 15 + Wisdom modifier); a successful save prevents skeletal collapse but still deals 10d6 points of damage.

Origomar
2009-06-26, 09:47 PM
I like the lower level ideas of the class, that make his bones harder than normal and gain properties of certain DR passing metals, but i (in my opinion) dont see a monk that has no access to magic, being able to liquify someones bones or control someones bones. I can see with their knowledge of bones and the anatomy being able to paralyze, or shatter bones with ease though.

Bluance
2009-06-27, 12:57 AM
Most of it isn't my work, like i said it was a revision of a class on a dragon magazine, the abilities more or less copied. I all ways liked the idea of training Just enough to get a few minor abilities that resemble spell-like things, without Actually learning spells. Kind of how some of the monk abilities are rather along a supernatural trend, while not having the ability to cast any spells he's still doing amazing things with just his training and wholeness of body. Some things maybe i could back off, or move forward with to change it up?

TheYoungKing
2009-06-27, 01:27 AM
Immediately thought of:

http://marvel.com/universe3zx/images/5/5b/396px-Weaponx19.jpg

Bluance
2009-06-27, 01:35 AM
I have no idea what that picture is from..but i can go and get the orginal picture for the class..i just don't know how to upload the thing onto the post. I'm new : P

TheYoungKing
2009-06-27, 01:47 AM
Just put [IMG][/ IMG] tags around the URL. No space after the slash.

And that is Marrow, a Marvel Mutant who has bone-based abilities.