PDA

View Full Version : Fear ItP V.2.0!

Anuan
2009-06-28, 06:05 AM
Alright, we had a thread about our phobias and such. Let's have one about scary moments in our lives.

I only remembered this one early today. Probably plays a large role in my hydrophobia.

In my hometown, there was a river a little while away from my house that my older brother and myself used to go swimming occasionally. This was before the major drought that meant it was usually dry.

Now, the council had done some digging and drilling. We didn't know.

I ended up falling down a hole that was deeper than I was tall, but barely wider than me. I couldn't swim back up because my arms were basically trapped. I could only hit the bottom and bounce back up to get my head above water for a second or two before I sunk again. After what felt like ages (probably about thirty seconds, lawl) my brother noticed I wasn't just ******* around like a seven year old or whatever I was at the time and dragged me out. I coughed up a bunch of water and then sat on the edge of the river shaking and crying til we went home.

Your turn, guys.

Castaras
2009-06-28, 09:13 AM
Heh, I had an experience just like yours. When I was about 5, me and my family had gone down to Cornwall to see the solar eclipse. There was a big outdoor swimming pool. Me being young, I thought all swimming pools were the same - back home, the swimming pool in our town was very shallow. So I assumed it would be the same at this place, and jumped in the middle of the pool.... which was deeper than I thought.

And I couldn't swim.

That was a fun day. I still like swimming and water though, strangely enough. :smalltongue: Maybe I'm just mad.

darkblust
2009-06-28, 09:30 AM
When i was 6 or so,I was at the gocery store with my father,and we were walking around,and suddenly he disapeared.It was really scary for me,cause i was a little 6 year old kid who was hardly let alone in the house,much less in a public place.Anyways,i thought i ofund him,so i went to him,but it wasnt him.I then found him about 2 minutes later in the lane next to me.:smallfrown:

And there was the time when i was holding my cat,and she clawed me in the neck.It got stuck,and I let go of the cat.This was also when I was 6,and it hurt like *$@#. It was stuck there for about 3 minutes:smalltongue:

Recaiden
2009-06-28, 01:34 PM
Probably when I was six, and then crashed my bike. And then I couldn't move my arm, because I'd broken it. Things like that don't bother me as much now, but back then it freaked me out.

And being in that car accident. Just being a passenger, then wham! Our car is spinning, cars in the other lanes hitting us, smoke everywhere, and I couldn't do anything about it.

I've never been through anything really scary in reality. Just in my dreams.

Arachu
2009-06-28, 11:34 PM
Age 8. Saw a pair of huge, glowing eyes (or at least what appeared that way) under my bed.

Age 12. I start sleeping in the dark :roy:

That, and those three or so weeks when I suddenly froze and thought things like "I wonder how getting stabbed feels?" every so often. That. Seriously. Creeped me out. :smalleek:

Learned a lot about how spiders move, though...

Anyone else ready to confess things that will probably get them accused of schizophrenia? :smalltongue:

Recaiden
2009-06-28, 11:43 PM
Anyone else ready to confess things that will probably get them accused of schizophrenia? :smalltongue:

Nothing that might get me accused of schizophrenia has scared me.

SurlySeraph
2009-06-29, 12:25 PM
About a month ago, I was about to go to bed when I started hearing something that sounded like breathing. Slow, methodical breathing, coming from somewhere very close to my bed. I froze when I first started hearing it. It didn't stop, or change a bit. I proceeded to freak right the hell out. My bed is a bunkbed; I checked all under it, between it and the wall, under every layer of blankets and sheets on both the top and bottom bunks, behind the shelves nearby, everywhere I couldn't actually see. Did I mention that I was tightly clutching my pocketknife, which I had grabbed the moment I heard the breathing, all through this?
I noticed that it sounded like the breathing was coming from the wall at the head of the bed, so I started tapping on the wall to try to find a hollow place, keeping my knife pointed directly at the wall so as to impale anyone who might burst through it to tackle me. I checked about every 4 square inches. Everything sounded the same. I tapped along the nearest other wall for comparison, then checked a large section of it. Nothing. I went under the bed and started tapping along the wall there. Nothing.
Finally I gave up, reassuring myself that it was probably just from the filter on my fish tank (which is near my bed). I somehow managed to get to sleep despite the breathing sound, though I kept my knife right by my hand for the entire night. In the morning, it was gone.
The next night, the breathing sound started again.
I haven't heard it since, and I'm by now pretty sure that it was just the filter, but Jesus.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-06-29, 12:28 PM
Being bored for eternity without relief.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2009-06-29, 02:20 PM
DD, had you been reading that one thread on immortality?

Anyone see the video for "One", by Metallica? That freaks the bejeebies out of me. Not able to move, talk, see, communicate, only feel pain...:smalleek:

thubby
2009-06-29, 02:32 PM
on a camping trip with the boyscouts i climbed into my sleeping bag to find it full of spiders, and i was already arachnophobic.

so...yeah

RS14
2009-06-29, 02:35 PM
on a camping trip with the boyscouts i climbed into my sleeping bag to find it full of spiders, and i was already arachnophobic.

so...yeah

What sort?

Zocelot
2009-06-29, 03:15 PM
When I was a young boy, I fell into a well near my parents' mansion. There were many bats inside, and they swarmed over me to fly out, as I lay there shrieking. I eventually got out, and later that night my parents took me to an opera. There were people in bat costumes and I got scared again, and so my parents left with me. In the alley beside the theater, they were mugged and killed. Since then, I have dedicated myself to cleaning up Gotham City and delivering justice to criminals.

Veg Sorbet
2009-06-29, 03:48 PM
A couple of years ago, in a moment of sheer stupidity, I took my boat out in
fairly rough weather with the wrong sail up (quote of the moment; "It'll be
okay, I've done this on a yacht before". For those familiar with sailing, I was
in a 'mirror class dinghy, sailing with just the jib, as I hadn't wanted to go out
with the full main up.) What I'd forgotten was that the yacht had had an
engine, which helped to keep it on course, and that it had been realtively
calm when sailing like this. All I had was a single paddle, not even a proper
oar.

I set off okay, but soon realised that I was unable to turn the boat fully
around, in order to get back to shore.

Thinking about it since, I've realised that the most sensible thing to do would
have been to keep sailing across the estuary to the town opposite where I'd
set off, but panic set in, and all I could think of was getting abck to the
slipway, where my dad was waiting.

So, instead, I resorted to the paddle, but got nowhere fast, as the sail kept
driving me onward, on my original course, and then kept pulling my up river
after that; I couldn't get myself fully around.

So, realising that the sail was a problem, I went to get it down, which
required standing in an awkward position in a boat that was being tossed
about like crazy.

Once this was done, I grapped the paddle again, and started putting all my
strength into paddling, and again getting nowhere. I soon realised that the
back of the boat wasn't the best place to try steering from, so instead
climbed up onto the small 'foredeck', to steer from the bows instead. After
about two or three strokes, the boat began to turn, but as I dug in for a
fourth, I felt the wood beneath my knees give way, and for a horrible
moment thought that the boat was going to break up beneath me.

Fortunately, it held out, and half an hour later, I finally managed to drag the
boat back to the slipway from which it had been launched, and somehow
managed to get through the next half hour of cleaning it up, and stowing it
away, before passing out in the car on the way home.

Hasn't stopped me sailing since, though I did lose a summer whilst the boat
was repaired, but it still goes down as one of my top 'scary moments'.

thubby
2009-06-29, 03:50 PM
What sort?

daddy long-legs mostly, and some big ones that acted like crickets (they would stick their front legs together so they looked 6 legged), there were others but I wasn't really focused on exactly what kind they were. *shivers*