+2 Dexterity
+2 Constitution
-2 Wisdom

+6 to Jump checks
-2 Climb

Automatic Light Armor Proficiency
Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Sangheili Double Sword
Natural Bite Attack: 1d4 damage.
Redundant Organs: negates 50% of critical hits.
Bonus Feat: Run
Powerful Build: Able to wield weapons made for a creature 1 size category larger.
Mighty Blow: A Sangheili's unarmed attack can deal lethal damage.
Automatic Languages: Sangheili, Covenant. Bonus Languages: San 'Shyuum, Kig-Yar, Unggoy, Jiralhanae, Mglekgolo, Common.

LA+2

Sangheili Double Sword
Exotic Melee (One handed)
Slashing or Piercing
1d8 when slashing
2d6 when piercing
18-20/x2 critical

I made this as a PC race. I'm new to D&D and I would appreciate some feedback on how I could make this better. The weapon is essentially a metal version of the plasma sword.

An Enemy Spy
2009-06-28, 09:27 PM
The reason that the sword does 2d8 when you stab instead of slash is that it has two prongs so it's like getting stabbed with two swords. Just thought I'd clarify that.

Siosilvar
2009-06-28, 09:36 PM
Your sword should deal slashing or piercing damage.

And compare it to a bastard sword - would anyone not take this over a bastard sword? 1d10 damage, 19-20 crit vs. 2d8, 18-20/x3 crit. Easy choice.

I'd take out the extra die for piercing and drop the crit modifier to 18-20/x2 or 20/x4 and call it good.

An Enemy Spy
2009-06-28, 09:42 PM
Your sword should deal slashing or piercing damage.

And compare it to a bastard sword - would anyone not take this over a bastard sword? 1d10 damage, 19-20 crit vs. 2d8, 18-20/x3 crit. Easy choice.

I'd take out the extra die for piercing and drop the crit modifier to 18-20/x2 or 20/x4 and call it good.

I didn't realize that I had put "and" instead of "or".
Since the sword is only made by and for Sangheili, I think it's OK to have it be better than a bastard sword because it's less common.

An Enemy Spy
2009-06-28, 10:17 PM
I'd like to know if this seems underpowered, overpowered or just plain bland. I want to get Sangheili right before I move on to my next Halo race.

Siosilvar
2009-06-28, 10:20 PM
I didn't realize that I had put "and" instead of "or".
Since the sword is only made by and for Sangheili, I think it's OK to have it be better than a bastard sword because it's less common.

That's still no reason to make pretty much every other exotic weapon obsolete.

Also, this's been up for about two hours. Give it at least a day or so for people to notice.

The Mentalist
2009-06-28, 10:21 PM
Rarity is a poor balancing factor because the first time you face one you have them.

An Enemy Spy
2009-06-28, 10:24 PM
what if the piercing is 2d6 instead of 2d8?

An Enemy Spy
2009-06-28, 10:27 PM
Also I changed the crit to x2

An Enemy Spy
2009-06-28, 11:33 PM
Kig-Yar
Medium Monstrous Humanoid
-2 Strength
+2 Dexterity
+2 Wisdom
-2 Charisma

+2 Tumble
+2 Spot

Automatic Shield Proficiency (Except for Tower Shields)
Natural Armor: +1
Natural Attacks: 2 claws (1d3), Bite (1d4)
Avian Eyes: +1 to attack rolls with ranged weaponry

Automatic Languages: Kig-Yar, Covenant. Bonus Languages: Sangheili, Unggoy, San 'Shyuum, Jiralhanae, Mglekgolo, Common.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-06-28, 11:46 PM
These all seem a little bland to me. They're a bunch of static abilities that don't, in my mind, really represent the race in question.

For example...

According to the Halo Wiki, they are strong, fast, tall, have two hearts, and have sharp teeth. They're also good at jumping, and are quite intelligent.

So I'd do the following, personally.

Sangheili

Medium Monstrous Humanoid (reptilian)
+4 Strength
+2 Dexterity
+2 Intelligence

Natural Armor: +3
Redundant Organs: Immune to sneak attack damage and negates 50% of critical hits.
Powerful Build: Able to wield weapons made for a creature 1 size category larger.

+4 to Jump Checks

LA: +2

That said, it seems more flavorful and unique to me.

An Enemy Spy
2009-06-28, 11:48 PM
These all seem a little bland to me. They're a bunch of static abilities that don't, in my mind, really represent the race in question.

For example...

According to the Halo Wiki, they are strong, fast, tall, have two hearts, and have sharp teeth. They're also good at jumping, and are quite intelligent.

Sangheili

+4 Strength
+2 Dexterity
+2 Intelligence

Redundant Organs: Immune to sneak attack damage and negates 50% of critical hits.

+4 to Jump Checks

Those are good Ideas.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-06-28, 11:57 PM
Kig Yar

Medium Monstrous Humanoid (they're about 5'8'' tall)

+2 Dexterity, -2 Charisma

Natural Armor: +1
Natural Attacks: 2 claws (1d3), Bite (1d4)
Avian Eyes: +1 to attack rolls with ranged weaponry

+2 Spot, +2 Tumble

LA: +0

An Enemy Spy
2009-06-29, 11:02 AM
Unggoy
Small Monstrous Humanoid
+2 Constitution
-2 Intelligence
-2 Wisdom

+2 Climb
-2 Spot
-2 Listen

Stability
Bite 1d4
Scent

Automatic Languages: Unggoy, Covenant, Any other (except secret languages). Bonus Languages: Sangheili, San 'Shyuum, Jiralhanae, Mglekgolo, Kig-Yar, Hurogok, Common
Unggoy have a knack for learning new languages and can choose any language they want as an automatic language.

chiasaur11
2009-06-29, 06:15 PM

For example...

Sangheili

+4 Strength
+2 Dexterity
+2 Intelligence

+4 to Jump Checks

I'd drop immune to sneak attack. I mean, a quick hit to the back of the noggin drops one fairly cleanly, and if that isn't a sneak attack, what is?

An Enemy Spy
2009-07-10, 11:05 PM
Jiralhanae
Medium Monstrous Humanoid
+2 Strength
+4 Constitution
-2 Wisdom
-2 Charisma

Bite 1d6
+2 Natural Armor
+2 to Fortitude Saves
Rage 1/day
Automatic Languages: Jiralhanae, Covenant. Bonus Languages: Sanghieli, San 'Shyuum, Kig-Yar, Unggoy, Mglekgolo, Common.
LA+1

Spiker
Exotic One handed Ranged Weapon
1d4 Piercing 19/20 x2 30 ft.
1d4 Slashing

Devils_Advocate
2009-07-11, 06:04 PM
3.5 doesn't really work like that. An item is normally assumed to be available for purchase in a town if it's below the town's gp limit.

Anyway, making this weapon rare doesn't make it any less overpowered for those who do have one. In fact, it makes them more overpowered, since their opponents don't get the same uberweapon that they do.

Besides which, if it this thing is basically two one-handed swords, then that makes it big and unwieldy enough that it's a two-handed weapon. In which case, just make it a two-handed weapon. With 2d6 damage and a 18-20/x2 critical, it's still better than the greatsword and the scimitar.

If it's not two one-handed swords, then it should do less damage.

imp_fireball
2009-07-15, 01:06 AM
@An Enemy Spy: You should combine all of this into your OP just so that people won't have to scroll down to see everything. :smallwink:

Also, I thought Jiralhanae were stronger than elites. Seriously, they don't even wear power armor (or at least I thought). :P

what if the piercing is 2d6 instead of 2d8?

Two prongs still creates one hole so 2d6 I'd say. Doesn't matter if it's 'supposed' to be two long swords. Two actual long swords would technically both have two seperate swings if wielded dual. Also the trident has three prongs and it doesn't deal damage equal to three daggers.

I mean, a quick hit to the back of the noggin drops one fairly cleanly, and if that isn't a sneak attack, what is?

What if coup de graces worked but sneak attacks sometimes didn't? Also, light fortification instead of a middleground between medium and light - I never even knew sangheli had redundant organs for that matter.
----

By the way... I was planning on making a mechanic for the plasma sword itself. Not necessarily the stats but the charge feature.

Home (requires plasma sword):

If granted line of effect for a charge, you may make a ranged touched attack. If successful, you may charge as a swift action instead of a full action that ignores terrain below 5ft. elevation. Note that this special charge still requires a regular attack to hit and only permits one attack.

No other attacks, such as 'pounce' or 'leap attack', may be used in conjunction with this charge - but attacks such as 'power attack' or 'shock trooper' may still be utilized.

and are quite intelligent.

You sure that's not 'more intelligent than they look', considering they look like bisected sharks with the biceps of a gorilla? Also, humans can be pretty darn smart and they've got no bonuses. Ah well.

Just offering criticism. Whenever someone says a race is 'intelligent', it doesn't always mean they're smarter than humans. :smalleek:

Rage 1/day

How does that work with barbarian levels?

An Enemy Spy
2009-07-15, 02:55 PM
In Halo 2, I noticed that an elite could kill you in one punch on Normal, while it took a brute a few punches. Brutes make up for this with the fact THAT THEY WON'T EFFING DIE! HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO SHOOT YOU YOU PRICK?! JUST DIE ALREADY!
Sorry for that outburst. Halo 2 can be difficult sometimes.

And I actually think that Elites look very intelligent.

imp_fireball
2009-07-18, 05:34 PM
I gave masterchief 'overwhelming slam' which requires the enemy to be flatfooted and deals something like 5d6 bludgeoning damage. That would be the 'knock to the back of the noggin'.