PDA

View Full Version : About 3 months

yilduz
2009-06-28, 10:00 PM
Okay I went with 7913 miles thick for the Earth (the average between the thickness at the equator and the thickness from pole to pole (http://www.ehow.com/about_4600033_what-thickness-earths-surface.html)). I assumed 30 inch steps at 120 steps per minute.

7913x5280x12= 501,367,680 inches, or 16,712,256 steps.

120 steps in one minute, so 139268.8 minutes, or 2321.146 (repeating 6) hours.

That comes out to 96.714 (repeating 4) days, or about 3 months, to walk through the Earth to the other side.

So... who's with me? We'll need some construction trucks to dig the hole first, though.

North
2009-06-28, 10:02 PM
But your not factoring for all the starbucks along the way.

yilduz
2009-06-28, 10:02 PM

Coffee = :smallyuk:

reorith
2009-06-28, 10:09 PM

you don't have to worry. if there is more than one person in a five mile radius, a starbucks will spontaneously form.

DamnedIrishman
2009-06-28, 10:15 PM
So... who's with me? We'll need some construction trucks to dig the hole first, though.

LET'S GET THIS MOTHERFRIGGING SHOW ON THE ROAD, BABY!

http://www.swapmeetdave.com/Humor/Workshop/Trencher4.jpg

HELL YEAH!

RandomNPC
2009-06-28, 10:26 PM
what is that, mre importantly how do i obtain two? (for jousting them)

averagejoe
2009-06-28, 10:26 PM
Why walk? It's easier just to fall.

DamnedIrishman
2009-06-28, 10:28 PM
what is that, mre importantly how do i obtain two? (for jousting them)

Why, it's a custom-built excavator, of course!

This is the largest digging machine (or trencher or rotating shovel) in the world. It was built by Krupp and is shown here crossing a road in Germany on the way to its destination, an open air coal mine. Although at the mine the treads are unnecessary, it was cheaper to make the machine self-propelled than to try and move it with conventional hauling equipment. Some factoids:
The machine is 95 meters high and 215 meters long (almost 2.5 football fields in length)
Weight is 45,500 tons (that's equivalent to a bumper to bumper line of jeeps 80 miles long)
It took 5 years to design and manufacture at a cost of $100 million
Maximum digging speed is 10 meters per minute
Can move more than 76,000 cubic meters of coal, rock, and earth per day

So: how fast could it dig through?

Thajocoth
2009-06-28, 10:33 PM
A hole deep enough would destabilize the planet's internal pressure. The resulting expanding interior of the planet would crush you.

But you'd hold the world records for "cause of the worst earthquakes in human history" and "deepest remains of a biological entity in the Earth" Millenia later, confused archaeologists will worship you as proof that life started in the mantle.

DamnedIrishman
2009-06-28, 10:34 PM
A hole deep enough would destabilize the planet's internal pressure. The resulting expanding interior of the planet would crush you.

But you'd hold the world records for "cause of the worst earthquakes in human history" and "deepest remains of a biological entity in the Earth" Millenia later, confused archaeologists will worship you as proof that life started in the mantle.

OBVIOUSLY you'd reinforce the shaft with advanced phlebonium-coated girders.

yilduz
2009-06-28, 10:42 PM

About 2.4 years... but if we had one on each side, going toward each other... about 1.2 years.

So, get everything set up and I'll meet you in 14 months.

DamnedIrishman
2009-06-28, 10:45 PM
About 2.4 years... but if we had one on each side, going toward each other... about 1.2 years.

So, get everything set up and I'll meet you in 14 months.

Or unless we built a BIGGER ONE!

EDIT: Actually, since that one took five years to design... it'd probably be faster just to get two on opposite sides...

yilduz
2009-06-28, 10:46 PM
Or unless we built a BIGGER ONE!

You're a GENIUS! For that reason, I put you in charge of the project.

EDIT: Actually, since that one took five years to design... it'd probably be faster just to get two on opposite sides...

Fair enough. When can we get it ready?

Ashen Lilies
2009-06-28, 10:46 PM
Why walk? It's easier just to fall.

Except if we bring gravity into this, you'd fall half the way, and be forced to climb the rest of the way. I think it'd be easier just to walk. :smalltongue:

Flickerdart
2009-06-28, 10:47 PM
But if we start two more in the middle and have them dig out, it'll only be 7 months! :smallbiggrin:

yilduz
2009-06-28, 10:49 PM
But if we start two more in the middle and have them dig out, it'll only be 7 months! :smallbiggrin:

But how do we get them into the middle without digging down first?

I originally thought "teleport them," but that doesn't work because then when they're digging, they'll just push the dirt right behind them, leaving it right where it was... unless... we teleport the dirt it digs as well!!

DamnedIrishman
2009-06-28, 10:51 PM

As much as I admire this logic, I see a number of flaws with it.

However... if we broke through the crust, it'd be much easier to get through the mantle as it's liquid. If we just dropped a weight made of a material denser than magma into the hole which was internally refrigerated, then it would effectively sink a tunnel by displaced the magma then hardening it! We'd need to keep the tunnel refridgerated too though.

yilduz
2009-06-28, 10:54 PM
As much as I admire this logic, I see a number of flaws with it.

However... if we broke through the crust, it'd be much easier to get through the mantle as it's liquid. If we just dropped a weight made of a material denser than magma into the hole which was internally refrigerated, then it would effectively sink a tunnel by displaced the magma then hardening it! We'd need to keep the tunnel refridgerated too though.

This is why you're in charge of the tunnel digging.

What can we use to keep it cool, though?

DamnedIrishman
2009-06-28, 10:55 PM
This is why you're in charge of the tunnel digging.

What can we use to keep it cool, though?

Well, if you pumped cold air through the shaft then that would work. Plus ventilation is kindof necessary to survive.

We do reach a problem when we hit the actual core though... would it be faster to dig through, or tunnel around it?

yilduz
2009-06-28, 10:58 PM
Well, if you pumped cold air through the shaft then that would work. Plus ventilation is kindof necessary to survive.

We do reach a problem when we hit the actual core though... would it be faster to dig through, or tunnel around it?

We're going straight through, that's the point of this whole thing. :smallbiggrin:

So we can create ducts as it tunnels and push clean, cool air through. This could be a fairly large project.

Mando Knight
2009-06-28, 11:01 PM
Obviously, this would all be a simpler matter if we just had the drill (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ThisIsADrill) that would pierce the heavens... (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TengenToppaGurrenLagann)

DamnedIrishman
2009-06-28, 11:03 PM
So we can create ducts as it tunnels and push clean, cool air through. This could be a fairly large project.

You don't say...

yilduz
2009-06-28, 11:07 PM
You don't say...

I know. It was difficult to come to the realization, myself... but it's a realization that cannot be denied.

PirateMonk
2009-06-28, 11:08 PM
I originally thought "teleport them," but that doesn't work because then when they're digging, they'll just push the dirt right behind them, leaving it right where it was... unless... we teleport the dirt it digs as well!!

That's another good point: what do we do with the material we dig out? Fling it into the sun? Bury the world in it to maintain the same mass?

Also, I'm fairly sure the mantle is solid (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mantle_(geology)).

DamnedIrishman
2009-06-28, 11:11 PM
That's another good point: what do we do with the material we dig out? Fling it into the sun? Bury the world in it to maintain the same mass?

Also, I'm fairly sure the mantle is solid (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mantle_(geology)).

Is it? Damn. Break out the giant diggermajigs again!

As to the material? That's easy:

Step 1: Extract material
Step 2: Process
Step 3: ???
Step 4: Profit

... which funds the tunneling, naturally! Maybe rich persons will decide that a private island isn't them, they want their own mountain range.

Actually, if we dropped it in the Pacific we could build our own country.

yilduz
2009-06-28, 11:12 PM

We're going to use it to build an island in the Pacific. Where have you been? :smallconfused:

edit:

Actually, if we dropped it in the Pacific we could build our own country.
This guy knows!

Shraik
2009-06-28, 11:15 PM
Well, once you reach the middle, wouldn't the gravitational forces be an issue, because doesn't gravity go down no matter where you are, so once you reach the middle, wouldn't the pressure from the gravitational forces crush you?

DamnedIrishman
2009-06-28, 11:15 PM
We're going to use it to build an island in the Pacific. Where have you been? :smallconfused:

And we shall call it Yilduzonia!

Well, once you reach the middle, wouldn't the gravitational forces be an issue, because doesn't gravity go down no matter where you are, so once you reach the middle, wouldn't the pressure from the gravitational forces crush you?

I don't think so. Gravity is a constant if mass doesn't change - if anything, the force would get weaker as we removed the material.
Not a physicist - I may be wrong.

yilduz
2009-06-28, 11:17 PM
And we shall call it Yilduzonia!

I like the sound of that. :smallwink:

I would take the position of Emperor, of course. You can be a king, though. :smallwink:

DamnedIrishman
2009-06-28, 11:20 PM
I like the sound of that. :smallwink:

I would take the position of Emperor, of course. You can be a king, though. :smallwink:

I don't want to be any form of ruler, dear sir: just set me up with good times and plenty of concubines, and I'm quite happy as I am.

yilduz
2009-06-28, 11:22 PM
I don't want to be any form of ruler, dear sir: just set me up with good times and plenty of concubines, and I'm quite happy as I am.

Fair enough, but you'll definitely have a title. What would you like to be known as?

DamnedIrishman
2009-06-28, 11:26 PM
Fair enough, but you'll definitely have a title. What would you like to be known as?

Duke will suit me fine, thanks. I'll have an upmarket west coast estate on the pacific shores of Yilduzonia.

yilduz
2009-06-28, 11:57 PM
Duke will suit me fine, thanks. I'll have an upmarket west coast estate on the pacific shores of Yilduzonia.

Well, it's an island, so all the shores will be Pacific. However, we will need a freshwater inland lake.

As for the title, you shall be a Duke. You will be given an estate and several servants to maintain it.

DamnedIrishman
2009-06-28, 11:59 PM
Well, it's an island, so all the shores will be Pacific. However, we will need a freshwater inland lake.

As for the title, you shall be a Duke. You will be given an estate and several servants to maintain it.

... and multitudous concubines, don't forget.

yilduz
2009-06-29, 12:02 AM
... and multitudous concubines, don't forget.

Of course, it was implied. :smallwink:

averagejoe
2009-06-29, 01:28 AM
Except if we bring gravity into this, you'd fall half the way, and be forced to climb the rest of the way. I think it'd be easier just to walk. :smalltongue:

I don't think so. Gravity is a constant if mass doesn't change - if anything, the force would get weaker as we removed the material.
Not a physicist - I may be wrong.

Not quite, either of you; you're both kind of half right. Irishman, think of gravity as a force exerted by individual particles; then, as you move toward the center of the earth, gravity would pull you in different directions, but the closer you got to the center the more it would cancel out. You'd feel (roughly) no gravity at the center of the earth.

However, if you're falling, once you reach the center of the earth, you still have momentum; in fact, almost enough to get you back to the surface (you lose some to air resistance, or else it would be enough to get you the same distance from the center of the earth on the other side as where you jumped.) So, assuming you don't grab anything, you would fall through the earth, almost make it to the other side of the hole, then fall again, and you would keep doing this until eventually you came to rest at the center. So all you'd need to do is walk the distance that you couldn't cover by falling due to air resistance.

This, of course, ignores a lot of reality, but taking these things into account makes it impossible to drill a hole through the earth anyways. :smalltongue:

Also, Kris, even if you did fall only halfway, that's still half the trip you don't have to walk, so falling is easier either way. :smalltongue:

thubby
2009-06-29, 03:38 AM
This, of course, ignores a lot of reality, but taking these things into account makes it impossible to drill a hole through the earth anyways. :smalltongue:

*shakes fist at terminal velocity*

Bouregard
2009-06-29, 04:23 AM

They're not custom. I know at least two in eastern germany. Oh and to obtain, I would say you should not try to drive away with it its slow. Really slow.

Eldan
2009-06-29, 05:26 AM
So, instead of walking, I propose that we build the tunnel, suck out all the air, get some space suits and fall through the vacuum into a special net on the other side which has to be sticky enough to pull us out.

DamnedIrishman
2009-06-29, 07:09 AM
However, if you're falling, once you reach the center of the earth, you still have momentum; in fact, almost enough to get you back to the surface (you lose some to air resistance, or else it would be enough to get you the same distance from the center of the earth on the other side as where you jumped.) So, assuming you don't grab anything, you would fall through the earth, almost make it to the other side of the hole, then fall again, and you would keep doing this until eventually you came to rest at the center.

THE BEST RIDE EVER! We could market it as a theme park!

Hail Yilduzonia, land of the free!

yilduz
2009-06-29, 10:00 AM
A tunnel going through the center of the earth, a new country of awesomeness, and now a theme park. This is the best thread ever. :smallbiggrin:

PirateMonk
2009-06-29, 05:23 PM
How big would Yilduzonia be? Also, given the composition of the Earth, it would likely be composed mostly of rock, and possibly iron and nickel. Where would we find enough soil to cover it? Also, what happens to the displaced water? We could use it to cool the tunnel, or turn the theme park ride into a water slide, I suppose. Otherwise, the low lying countries might object.

yilduz
2009-06-29, 05:33 PM
How big would Yilduzonia be? Also, given the composition of the Earth, it would likely be composed mostly of rock, and possibly iron and nickel. Where would we find enough soil to cover it? Also, what happens to the displaced water? We could use it to cool the tunnel, or turn the theme park ride into a water slide, I suppose. Otherwise, the low lying countries might object.

As for the waterslide idea, that is pretty cool, my friend. We'll see.

Yilduzonia's size would depend on where in the ocean we put it. The deeper the ocean, the smaller the size, obviously. We need a fair size, though. There should be enough soil, all that heavier stuff can go on the bottom.

As for the low lying countries, we'll just blame that on global warming. That excuse seems to work for everything else.

DamnedIrishman
2009-06-29, 05:37 PM
As for the waterslide idea, that is pretty cool, my friend. We'll see.

Yilduzonia's size would depend on where in the ocean we put it. The deeper the ocean, the smaller the size, obviously. We need a fair size, though. There should be enough soil, all that heavier stuff can go on the bottom.

As for the low lying countries, we'll just blame that on global warming. That excuse seems to work for everything else.

If we sell the iron and nickel deposits, we can use the profit to buy fertile soil and have it shipped over.

yilduz
2009-06-29, 05:38 PM
If we sell the iron and nickel deposits, we can use the profit to buy fertile soil and have it shipped over.

Duke DamnedIrishman, head of commerce.

PirateMonk
2009-06-29, 05:44 PM

And also to finance the construction of palaces and such, and to hire servants and concubines I suppose, but what happens when we run out of metal? Even if we ignore reality, the logistics are staggering.

DamnedIrishman
2009-06-29, 05:50 PM
And also to finance the construction of palaces and such, and to hire servants and concubines I suppose, but what happens when we run out of metal? Even if we ignore reality, the logistics are staggering.

We've still got the tourist income and the income from the Ultimate Theme Park. Besides, the inner core is around 2440 km in diameter, so even with a fairly small tunnel going through it we're going to have bucketloads of metal to sell.

Although, obviously this would cause a collapse in iron prices... we'd have to sabotage the global iron industry so we could keep the price high. Plus, there's also gold and platinum to be found in the middle, not to mention all the valuable minerals we might find going through the crust and mantle.

PirateMonk
2009-06-29, 07:21 PM
We could also keep hollowing out the core, I suppose, though that might cause some gravitational distortions on the theme park.

Also, can I be chief saboteur?

yilduz
2009-06-29, 08:57 PM
Also, can I be chief saboteur?

What kind of credentials do you have?

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2009-06-29, 09:23 PM
The best saboteur leaves no traces. Obviously, he can't tell you about his other projects...:smallamused:

averagejoe
2009-06-29, 11:22 PM
What kind of credentials do you have?

Besides being a pirate?

yilduz
2009-06-29, 11:22 PM
The best saboteur leaves no traces. Obviously, he can't tell you about his other projects...:smallamused:

Touche.

Besides being a pirate?

Of course. :smalltongue:

PirateMonk is the chief saboteur, then. :smallwink:

Flame of Anor
2009-07-10, 03:51 AM
You're all being silly. All we need is to retrieve Nero's planet drill from the bottom of San Francisco Bay, use it to drill through (without dropping in red matter), seal off the ends so it's a vacuum, and bam. Jump in one side and you'll pop out the other. You'd only have to put ladder rungs some ways down the tunnel to catch and climb up. Miss them? Go around again, you're not slowing down! Everyone should read The Men and the Mirror, a cool sci-fi story about a similar situation. Wikilink here. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Men_and_the_Mirror)

yilduz
2009-07-13, 02:27 PM
You're all being silly. All we need is to retrieve Nero's planet drill from the bottom of San Francisco Bay, use it to drill through (without dropping in red matter), seal off the ends so it's a vacuum, and bam. Jump in one side and you'll pop out the other. You'd only have to put ladder rungs some ways down the tunnel to catch and climb up. Miss them? Go around again, you're not slowing down! Everyone should read The Men and the Mirror, a cool sci-fi story about a similar situation. Wikilink here. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Men_and_the_Mirror)
I don't know... a waterslide is pretty cool.