PDA

View Full Version : New classes for a campaign world

Yuki Akuma
2006-01-20, 11:57 AM
Linked because I really can't be bothered to format the tables...

These are classes for a campaign world I'm building. In this world, clerics don't actually exist, and healing magic is much rarer than it is in other worlds... Druids still exist, though.

The Acolyte (http://xcetera.co.uk/Acolyte.rtf)
The Apothecar (http://xcetera.co.uk/Apothecar.rtf)
The Spell Lists (http://xcetera.co.uk/Spell_lists.rtf)

The campaign world has been in construction for all of one day (yes, I made these classes just now), so I don't have any flavour text yet. So... tell me what you think, please?

Larrin
2006-01-20, 01:20 PM
the biggest problem with the apothecary is how many little glass bottles can one person carry, since it sounds like their spells are actually little potions they whip up in the morning, or is it just sort of a gooey kind of magic?? its a little awkward IMHO, but a decent class idea, just figure out exactly how you want them to cast so its not a sticky mess or throwing bottles and such...

Maryring
2006-01-20, 01:45 PM
They seem all right. But some of the apothecar "spells" seems a little off. Mainly those from the divination school. Some I understand but... well if you have a good reason I see no problem at all, other than the acolyte being a little... well... underpowered compared to the Cleric.

Yuki Akuma
2006-01-20, 01:57 PM
Well, as I said, there aren't any clerics in this campaign setting, so that's not really a problem...

Also: Infusions (I've just found out that word is taken by the artificer, but meh) are meant to be held in some sort of container. As this container can really be anything, it's just assumed the apothecar has enough on him as long as he has his 'spell' component pouch. Should probably put that into the next revision.

Maryring
2006-01-21, 05:48 AM
Well I still wonder how the divination infusions work. But, what I really wonder about is the energy infusion. Do you get a saving throw against them? Reflex is my guess but... well?

Yuki Akuma
2006-01-21, 08:52 AM
The divination infusions basically work by allowing the user to see auras and such. Detect Magic, for example, changes the user's eyes in a way to allow them to see magical auras. When I do a revision I might make new "spells" that do the same thing as the Detect spells but make them Transmutation, or something...

Also, a reflex save for half for the energy infusions, yeah. I knew I was forgetting something. I'll revise the classes sometime tomorrow (I don't have my notes with me at the moment)...

KaroLunel
2006-01-21, 11:11 AM
What are the class skills for Apothecars? Hit die? Skill points?

Yuki Akuma
2006-01-21, 11:20 AM
What are the class skills for Apothecars? Hit die? Skill points?

:o

... I can't believe I forgot about that.

This'll teach me to just make two classes in five hours without really checking what I've done...

Okay.

Acolyte: d6 hit dice. 4 + int skill points per level.
Class skills: Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Heal (Wis), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (history) (Int), Knowledge (religion) (Int), Knowledge (the planes) (Int), Profession (Wis), and Spellcraft (Int).

Apothecar: d4 hit dice. 2 + int skill points per level.
Class skills: Concentration (Con), Craft (Alchemy) (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Heal (Wis), Knowledge (Arcana) (Int), Knowledge (Religion), Profession (Wis), and Spellcraft (Int).

Skill Points at 1st Level

kilos
2006-01-21, 02:13 PM
interesting classes. do i have your premission to use apothecar if i ever run a camaign?

Yuki Akuma
2006-01-21, 06:36 PM
interesting classes. do i have your premission to use apothecar if i ever run a camaign?

As long as you tell me how it goes, sure. I'd love for someone to actually play test this thing...

kilos
2006-01-21, 07:28 PM
thank you. chances are it wont happen anytime soon but it seemed like an interesting class choice for a change of pace.

Edit: also, can you explain how they prepare spells that don't need material components, also is there a base component to all of them and if so can the eschew materials be used to enhance them?

Yuki Akuma
2006-01-21, 08:06 PM
Okay. Basically, Apothecars prepare spells using spell components. As long as they have a spell component pouch, they'll all set, as they're assumed to stock up whenever the chance arises, just like a wizard.

kilos
2006-01-21, 08:45 PM
I mean do they need some sort of alchamy pouch that has the base solution as well as pouches or vials to hold them?

Yuki Akuma
2006-01-21, 09:00 PM
Yeah. The spell component pouch. Specially modified for an apothecar, of course.

Perhaps I should make an "infusion ingredient pouch" with the same cost as a spell component pouch... after all, infusions arne't made with the same ingredients...

kilos
2006-01-21, 09:08 PM
yes that would be a good idea. also, what is this "Infusion Mastery" feat it says yiu can take as a bonus feat?

Yuki Akuma
2006-01-21, 09:09 PM
Works exactly the same as Spell Mastery. It lets you prepare a specific infusion without your book.

Basically, it represents learning one of your recipes off by heart so you can prepare that infusion even if you don't have your book with you. Of course, you still need ingredients...

kilos
2006-01-21, 09:16 PM
understood, just be sure to add that in the revision.

EDIT: can it be taken as a normal feat or only as the bonus feat?

Yuki Akuma
2006-01-21, 09:19 PM
Yes, yes. Geez, I should stop doing things like this in the span of a few hours...

And I've still got flavour text to write! *sigh*

kilos
2006-01-21, 09:23 PM
heh heh, sorry, I was just trying to clarify info i didn't intend to iritate you.