PDA

View Full Version : Blood: the Last Vampire

Brewdude
2009-06-29, 11:31 PM
http://www.moviefone.com/movie/blood-the-last-vampire/37882/trailers

A movie adaptation of Blood+.

JabberwockySupafly
2009-06-30, 12:17 AM
It's actually a pseudo-live action remake/re-imagining of the anime film of the same name that inspired Blood+, which was originally released in 2000.

A mate of mine is going to Japan on Saturday to see Yoko Kanno & The Seatbelts, and is going to see it while he's there if it's still in theaters.

UltraDude
2009-06-30, 12:23 AM
It's actually a pseudo-live action remake/re-imagining of the anime film of the same name that inspired Blood+, which was originally released in 2000.

A mate of mine is going to Japan on Saturday to see Yoko Kanno & The Seatbelts, and is going to see it while he's there if it's still in theaters.

:smalleek:

...can I hide in his luggage? Somehow?

thubby
2009-06-30, 04:08 AM
when is the last time a live action adaptation of an anime actually worked?

Brewdude
2009-06-30, 04:17 AM
Hmm. it seems to be a live remake of the animated film rather than related to the anime series.

Zencao
2009-06-30, 12:02 PM
As far as I can tell it doesn't look like too bad of an adaptation. How can I assume this from just the summaries?

No added love interest. The fact that Hollywood decided "Hey, maybe we don't need to add a romantic sub-plot?" generally means it's going to be a faithful adaptation. Because anyone at Hollywood who doesn't care for the original material CAN'T RESIST adding romantic sub-plots no matter how unnecessary they are. It's a scientific fact.

Seraph
2009-06-30, 06:42 PM

the Death Note LA movies were pretty good.

Yulian
2009-06-30, 09:43 PM

Exactly...never.

Uh-oh "demon who murdered my father". Generic revenge plot!

This also looks full of strangely out-of-place wuxia elements. Go fig.

- Yulian

Badgercloak
2009-07-04, 12:37 AM
HOOAH! Yes yes oh yes, I loved Blood+ this is gonna be good.

Closet_Skeleton
2009-07-04, 05:00 AM
The original Blood: the Last Vampire film sucked so I don't have much hope for the live action remake.

Exactly...never.

Not true. There are some live action adaptations of romance and sports manga that are perfectly acceptable romance and sports films. They're just not the kinds of manga non-Japanese people tend to be interested in.

This also looks full of strangely out-of-place wuxia elements. Go fig.

Wuxia is not out of place in battles between superhumans.

No added love interest.

The tv series added a romantic subplot. Sort of.

Added romantic subplots are only annoying when they don't work and are against the tone of the original work (eg Dracula, which already had a romantic subplot and a token American).

Saying "demon" sounds wrong in that trailer. I'm starting to get sick of the don't use the V word (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NotUsingTheZWord) trend in recent vampire movies, but the original Blood and Blood+ were also guilty of that. They probably reckoned "Chiroptera" was too hard to say.

thubby
2009-07-04, 06:50 AM
Saying "demon" sounds wrong in that trailer. I'm starting to get sick of the don't use the V word (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NotUsingTheZWord) trend in recent vampire movies, but the original Blood and Blood+ were also guilty of that. They probably reckoned "Chiroptera" was too hard to say.

definitely one of the things i would be happy to see.
they're vampires, granted weird ones, and we all know it. call them vampires :smallfurious:

F.H. Zebedee
2009-07-05, 05:54 PM
My little sister and I watched all of Blood + when the dub first aired, and liked the movie, too. The Blood manga wasn't so hot (or at least took a very cruel turn) but the Blood + manga, at least as far as we've read, is more good stuff.

I saw a girl with blue clothing and a very reserved fighting style in the trailers. Please tell me this is Diva.

Whatever happens, I'm still gonna see it and try to judge it fairly. The afformentioned manga shock has made me view the franchise much more fluidly, so out of characters acting unlike I'm used to won't really bother me much.

TheSummoner
2009-07-06, 02:46 AM
the Death Note LA movies were pretty good.

I disagree. Reasons spoilered because they're off topic.

Light went to "the dark side." way too early. In the anime, he slowly went from a pure young man who doubted the power of the Death Note (and who wouldn't on first sight?) and tested it, to one who killed out of guilt, justifying the first murder by trying to purge the world of the wicked and make it a better place, to a man fighting for his life against an opponent he was evenly matched against, to what he finally was when he died, an evil man with a god complex. In the movies, he killed his innocent girlfriend (who didn't even exist in the anime) because it was a convenient way to get to L. Afterward, he plunged deeper into the crazy pool.

Rem. Just Rem. In the anime, Rem was female...ish. Rem's love for Misa was a maternal one. In the movie, Rem was given a super masculine voice and made male... for no reason whatsoever. Squick implied.

The way they shortened the plot significantly. I can understand that it takes alot of condensing to make a full series into two movies, but still... No Near or Mello. No Yotsuba. No Mikami. No thank you. Takada filled Yotsuba's role for reasons that make no sence (if you're going to cover that plot point, then why couldnt've they used Yotsuba and left Takada out... they already left out everything after L's death...).

Third one didn't particularly bother me (Ok, so there was a Near, but he was nothing like the anime). Probably because it had nothing to do with the anime and thus I couldn't compare them and count everything different against the film...

More on topic though... I enjoyed Blood+, so I'm going to see this. I'm hoping it'll be good, but thats completly based on optimism.

Closet_Skeleton
2009-07-06, 08:35 AM
I saw a girl with blue clothing and a very reserved fighting style in the trailers. Please tell me this is Diva.

Doubt it, since this isn't based off the series. It will probably just be someone who's virtually identical to Diva coincidentally.