PDA

View Full Version : The Restless Troubadour (Unique Bard PrC) [PEACH]

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-06-30, 01:27 AM
RESTLESS TROUBADOUR

http://fc02.deviantart.com/fs38/f/2008/313/c/f/Wanderer_by_SiNaFay_Aeternis.jpg

“Those who say dead men tell no tales know nothing of those who have heard the words of the restless…and lost themselves.”

Restless Troubadours were once bards…until their untimely demise. But some souls are to full of zeal, vengeance, or wanderlust to rest eternally, and such spirits are the Restless Troubadours of the world; minstrels caught between life and death, carried along by a song and a tale, unable or unwilling to pass on into the gray expanses of the afterlife.

BECOMING A RESTLESS TROUBADOUR
All Restless Troubadours were once bards of at least some skill, although a single bard level is sufficient to quality for the class. Many have additional levels of rogue, swashbuckler, or some similarly class prone to wanderlust.

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
Class Abilities: Bardic Music
Feats: Song of the Heart
Skills: Perform 10 ranks
Special: Must have died at the hands of another sentient being, and been resurrected.

Class Skills
The Restless Troubadour's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Disguise (Cha), Gather Information (Cha), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge (arcane) (Int), Knowledge (history) (Int), Knowledge (the planes) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Spellcraft (Int), Tumble (Dex), and Use Magic Device (Cha).
Skills Points at Each Level: 6 + Intelligence modifier

Hit Dice: d6

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+0|
+0|
+2|
+2|Twilight of Life, Bardic Music

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+3|
+3|Beyond the Veil

3rd|
+2|
+1|
+3|
+3|Dawn’s Prelude

4th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+4|Walk with Death

5th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+4|Zenith’s Revelry

6th|
+4|
+2|
+5|
+5|Twilight of Death

7th|
+5|
+2|
+5|
+5|Eventide’s Fugue

8th|
+6|
+2|
+6|
+6|Far Beyond the Veil

9th|
+6|
+3|
+6|
+6|Midnight’s Requiem

10th|
+7|
+3|
+7|
+7|Twilight of Eternity[/table]

Weapon Proficiencies: A Restless Troubadour gains no proficiencies with either weapons or armor.

Twilight of Life (Ex): A Restless Troubadour floats between the concepts of life and death, never truly resting in either state. A Restless Troubadour is healed by both positive and negative energy. Additionally, she becomes effectively immortal: she takes no penalties for aging (although bonuses still accrue), and she no longer has a maximum life span.

Bardic Music (Su): A Restless Troubadour gains one additional use of Bardic Music per day for each class level she possesses. She does not count her Restless Troubadour level for any other purposes concerning Bardic Music, with the exception of Inspire Courage. Her Restless Troubadour level stacks with her Bard level for the purposes of determining the bonus granted by Inspire Courage.

Beyond the Veil (Ex): Living on the edge of the afterlife gives a Restless Troubadour an unparalleled glimpse of the beyond. She may see ethereal creatures normally, and may also see and interact verbally with spirits of creatures who have been dead no longer than one minute per class level (provided she is near the deceased’s place of death). At her discretion, a Restless Troubadour may try to force a silent spirit to talk as if using the speak with dead spell (DC of 10 + the Restless Troubadour’s class level + the Restless Troubadour’s Charisma modifier), although she may only attempt this once per spirit.

Dawn’s Prelude (Su): Drawing life into death with the gentle notes of a quiet, flowing melody, a Restless Troubadour manipulates the energies of the living world to instill life into the dying, or stay a departing spirit for a while longer. By expending a single use of Bardic Music as a standard action, a Restless Troubadour can heal the wounds of others and prevent dead souls from passing to the afterlife. For as long as the Restless Troubadour performs, each ally that can hear the Restless Troubadour gains Fast Healing equal to the Restless Troubadour’s class level. This fast healing can never raise their hit point total above half their normal hit point total.
Additionally, no ally within hearing distance of the Restless Troubadour can die of hit point loss during the performance.

The effect lasts for as long as the Restless Troubadour continues to perform (up to a maximum number of rounds equal to her class level), and for 5 rounds after the performance ends. One a Restless Troubadour has ceased this performance she may not play the Dawn’s Prelude for 10 rounds.

Walk with Death (Ex): Exposure to the energies of the afterlife have left their marks. Non-sentient Undead do not register the presence of a Restless Troubadour unless she takes aggressive action against them. She may resume or suppress this ability as a swift action.

Zenith’s Revelry (Su): Evocative and full of vigor, this energetic tune sears through the air, overflowing with the energy of life itself. By expending a single use of Bardic Music as a standard action, a Restless Troubadour can infuse her allies with an excess of life while tearing apart those for whom it is an anathema. For the duration of the effect all allies who can hear the performance gain one extra move action per round, and any undead within the same range take 2d4 points of Charisma damage. A successful Will save (DC 10 + the Restless Troubadour’s class level + the Restless Troubadour’s Charisma modifier) halves the Charisma damage.

The effect lasts for as long as the Restless Troubadour continues to perform, up to a maximum of 1 round per 2 class levels (rounded down). Once a Restless Troubadour has ceased this performance she may not play the Zenith’s Revelry for 5 rounds.

Twilight of Death (Ex): A Restless Troubadour is a paradox to reality, neither living nor departed, somehow existing between the only two certainties in the world. A Restless Troubadour is treated as being an Undead whenever it would be beneficial for her to be so.

Eventide’s Fugue (Su): This mournful tune strikes deeply at the heart, conjuring up images of the endless gray expanse of the afterlife and driving creatures to despair. By expending a single use of Bardic Music as a standard action, a Restless Troubadour may play a forlorn and wistful air that leaves those around her helpless. Each round, any living foe that can hear the Restless Troubadour play must make a Will save (DC 10 + the Restless Troubadour’s class level + the Restless Troubadour’s Charisma modifier) or lose both their move action and their swift action during their next turn.

The effect lasts for as long as the Restless Troubadour continues to perform (up to a maximum number of rounds equal to her class level), and for 5 rounds after the performance ends. One a Restless Troubadour has ceased this performance she may not play the Eventide’s Fugue for 10 rounds.

Far Beyond the Veil (Ex): As a Restless Troubadour grows in power, so to does her connection with the Beyond. She may now see and interact with spirits that have been deceased for no longer than one hour per class level. At her discretion, a Restless Troubadour may try to force a spirit to serve her. As a full-round action, she may force a departed spirit within 60 feet to make a Will save (DC of 10 + the Restless Troubadour’s class level + the Restless Troubadour’s Charisma modifier). If the spirit fails, it manifests as a Dread Wraith and must serve the Restless Troubadour until its destruction. A Restless Troubadour may have only one such servant in existence at a time, and thus any spawn created in this manner are free-willed undead.

Upon the Dread Wraith’s destruction, or upon a successful saving throw against this ability, the animating spirit is immediately banished to the afterlife.

Midnight’s Requiem (Su): The haunting melodies of a Restless Troubadour pull at the soul and steal away life itself. By expending a single use of Bardic Music as a standard action, a Restless Troubadour may craft a melody so resonant with the overtones of the afterlife that it subtly draws creatures towards that desolate place. Each round, any living foe that can hear the Restless Troubadour play must make a Will save (DC 10 + the Restless Troubadour’s class level + the Restless Troubadour’s Charisma modifier) or gain 1 negative level. Undead within this area gain Fast Healing 10.

The effect lasts for as long as the Restless Troubadour continues to perform, up to a maximum of 1 round per 2 class levels (rounded down). Once a Restless Troubadour has ceased this performance she may not play the Midnight’s Requiem for 5 rounds.

Twilight of Eternity (Ex): A Restless Troubadour is an enigma to even the gods themselves. An existence on the edge of the afterlife has given her a strange, otherworldly quality not shared by any mortal or immortal being. A Restless Troubadour is treated as being Incorporeal whenever it would be beneficial for her to be so.

Pramxnim
2009-06-30, 01:52 AM
Wow, I am honestly baffled. With the PrC Contest, G7 and all, where do you find the inspiration to come up with something as awesome as this?

I love the flavour of the class, but I think Zenith's Revelry might be a bit too strong. Extra standard actions can completely break an encounter. I'd increase the bardic music uses required to use this ability and make it so that it grants extra move actions instead. That way, it should help out the lower-tier classes (mostly martial classes) more as it helps them position themselves better for full attacks.

There's a typo in Midnight's Requiem. You referred to it as Midnight's Dirge in the ability's description.

I'm a bit confused by Twilight of Death. Does this mean the Restless Troubadour gain all of the following effects while suffering none of their drawbacks, such as:

-An outsider's weapon proficiencies, darkvision and the fact that the no longer need to eat or sleep (although an undead also no longer needs to eat, sleep or breathe)
-All immunities given to Undead, yet selective so they can still benefit from mind-effecting buffs such as a Bard's Inspire Courage.

This might be way too powerful. I'd like it if you could pin down a few specific effects you'd be willing to give the character, as well as the ability to suppress them at will. It increases clarity and prevents unnecessary rules debates.

Other than that, love the class :smallbiggrin:

Fizban
2009-06-30, 04:30 AM
Awesome. I agree that extra standard actions are a big no-no, but move actions are okay. Do the various songs count as bardic music effects for interacting with feats (such as the one that keeps them going for another 5 rounds)? I'd also expect that it would continue advancing Inspire Courage, since it requires Song of the Heart.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-06-30, 06:49 AM
Wow, I am honestly baffled. With the PrC Contest, G7 and all, where do you find the inspiration to come up with something as awesome as this?

I love the flavour of the class, but I think Zenith's Revelry might be a bit too strong. Extra standard actions can completely break an encounter. I'd increase the bardic music uses required to use this ability and make it so that it grants extra move actions instead. That way, it should help out the lower-tier classes (mostly martial classes) more as it helps them position themselves better for full attacks.

Good point. Fixed. It also now mirrors Eventide's Fugue in a more graceful manner.

There's a typo in Midnight's Requiem. You referred to it as Midnight's Dirge in the ability's description.

Fixed. Thanks!

I'm a bit confused by Twilight of Death. Does this mean the Restless Troubadour gain all of the following effects while suffering none of their drawbacks, such as:

-An outsider's weapon proficiencies, darkvision and the fact that the no longer need to eat or sleep (although an undead also no longer needs to eat, sleep or breathe)
-All immunities given to Undead, yet selective so they can still benefit from mind-effecting buffs such as a Bard's Inspire Courage.

Yes. And I'm keeping that flavor, although I did cave in and limit it to Undead only. It's a powerful ability, but I like where it's coming from. Even a bard can have some kick-ass power sometimes. :smallbiggrin:

Toledo, actually. :smallbiggrin:

Alright, that's a huge lie. The real answer is two places: my mind (ideas like this just bubble and simmer it in, and I have to write them down) and, strangely enough, Deviant Art. I enjoy browsing through their image banks with random search terms, saving pictures I like...and then designing things around the mood and feel of the image.

Iferus
2009-06-30, 08:26 AM
Okay, I haven't read all abilities yet, but I like the flavour a lot!

SwordGoddess
2009-06-30, 08:48 AM
Ohhh! Very interesting! I love the flavor and idea behind this...a very cool concept. I'd be tempted to take this class (I have a bard character that died...)

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-06-30, 09:24 PM
A very nice PrC; I might have a use for this in my next campaign.

Just one nitpick:

Walk with Death (Ex): Exposure to the energies of the afterlife have left their marks. Non-sentient Undead do not register the presence of a Restless Troubadour unless she takes aggressive action against them. She may resume or suppress this ability as a swift action.

You probably need to note for completeness that if you attack an undead, suppress the ability, and then resume the ability, the undead still perceives the troubadour; otherwise, you could pull some kiting shenanigans with a bunch of non-sentient undead.