PDA

View Full Version : one anime

thubby
2009-06-30, 04:14 AM
if you had to pick one anime to show to someone, which one would you choose? for exceptionally long running anime (like one piece), pick a season.

you have no idea who they are or what they like. and i would appreciate if you would answer before reading the other comments

edit: you can choose an anime movie if you want.

Brewdude
2009-06-30, 04:28 AM
Cowboy Bebop. Good characters. Awesome setting. Strong stories with most resolved in a single episode. Fun randomness. Not too cerebral like Ghost in the Shell, but with adult enough themes to keep the grown ups interested, and plenty of action for the kids.

It's really hard to find a better anime than Cowboy Bebop.

kamikasei
2009-06-30, 04:31 AM
I thought "Cowboy Bebop" before I read the comments, I swear!

That said, if it doesn't have to be a show, I might well go with Princess Mononoke.

JeminiZero
2009-06-30, 04:45 AM
One Anime to rule them all,
One Anime to find them,
One Anime to bring them all
and in the darkness bind them

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

That said, I'm partial to comedies, so either FMP:Fumoffu (if male) or Ouran High School Host Club (if female).

Dispozition
2009-06-30, 04:49 AM
Haibane Renmei. My eternal anime love. However, if it was to get someone into anime, Cowboy Bebop is pretty much the default choice.

Fri
2009-06-30, 05:23 AM
Escaflowne might be a good second choice if we want to pander to both male and female audience. Maybe want to start from the second episode, to show the mechs earlier? But yeah, for some reason cowboy bebop is the default one. It's not perfect or the best anime out there, but it's a good starting point.

UltraDude
2009-06-30, 05:32 AM
...Samurai Champloo instead of Cowboy Bebop.

So there.

Dispozition
2009-06-30, 05:39 AM
...Samurai Champloo instead of Cowboy Bebop.

So there.

Essentially the same show, except one is slightly crazier, in the past, and has less main characters...

Athaniar
2009-06-30, 05:44 AM
Either Last Exile or Neon Genesis Evangelion. Because they are the only ones I've seen (except for a small part of Naruto). Hmmm, giant not-quite-mechs or giant flying battleships? I'm not sure.

Atelm
2009-06-30, 05:56 AM
Laputa: Castle in the Sky (aka Castle in the Sky over in the States) or Porco Rosso, thought that's just me. Porco Rosso is the safer bet of the two, I haven't met anyone who saw it and didn't like it.

Basically anything by Studio Ghibli should go over well. Although Takahata's Grave of the Fireflies might not be the best introduction to anime, it is still a good albeit sad film.

http://www.nausicaa.net/wiki/Main_Page (Lists all their movies right here with info on each.)

Now, if it has to be a series I'd pick Last Exile for a good all-around choice.

Dispozition
2009-06-30, 06:32 AM
Laputa: Castle in the Sky (aka Castle in the Sky over in the States) or Porco Rosso, thought that's just me. Porco Rosso is the safer bet of the two, I haven't met anyone who saw it and didn't like it.

Basically anything by Studio Ghibli should go over well. Although Takahata's Grave of the Fireflies might not be the best introduction to anime, it is still a good albeit sad film.

http://www.nausicaa.net/wiki/Main_Page (Lists all their movies right here with info on each.)

Now, if it has to be a series I'd pick Last Exile for a good all-around choice.

I would take Nausicaa over Laputa, better movie, although Laputa is still great. Mononoke seems to be a popular one as well, with good reason.

Prime32
2009-06-30, 06:36 AM
Death Note seems to be a good gateway series (and for someone who already likes Death Note, Code Geass is a good way to introduce them to more genres).

In fact, http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GatewaySeries

UltraDude
2009-06-30, 07:00 AM
Death Note seems to be a good gateway series (and for someone who already likes Death Note, Code Geass is a good way to introduce them to more genres).

In fact, http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GatewaySeries

Death Note story! So my friend got the novel Another Note, and lent it to me after reading it. I tended to read in school while sitting in class before and after we were doing anything. Throughout the day, 3 or 4 people who I would have never guessed as being the sort to watch anime - indeed, quite certain that they hadn't watched any in years for reasons other than nostalgia - were like "Hey, I like Death Note, what's that book?"

So, it's a surprisingly good gateway series, and a fun watch in general (chips and all).

zyphyr
2009-06-30, 07:33 AM
One more vote for Cowboy Bebop, and yes I did pick it before reading the others - for the same reasons.

It isn't my absolute favorite series, but it is very suitable for someone new to anime.

TheSummoner
2009-06-30, 07:36 AM
My first thought was Death Note... however there isn't much actual action in Death Note... its alot more suspence based than most anime since its one of the few where main characters can die...

Cowboy Bebop is another good choice. Its an amazing anime as well.

nysisobli
2009-06-30, 07:37 AM
Wow i hated cowboy beebop, i would have to say trigun

Blayze
2009-06-30, 07:37 AM
Tengen. Toppa. Gurren. Lagann.

Drascin
2009-06-30, 07:57 AM
if you had to pick one anime to show to someone, which one would you choose? for exceptionally long running anime (like one piece), pick a season.

you have no idea who they are or what they like.

I wouldn't. Really, it seems silly to recommend stuff to someone I don't know at all, because human taste is so varied.

That said, Studio Ghibli stuff is likely the stuff with a higher probablity of success in a complete vacuum. I'm partial to Mononoke, but you can pick yourself.

Nerd-o-rama
2009-06-30, 10:46 AM
The thing about Studio Ghibli's films is that they're a lot like Disney's more serious movies with less singan and more complex (or in some cases just poorly explained) plots, so they make a good bridge between American and Japanese animation. I'd go with one of these that isn't Spirited Away (despite that being my favorite).

Alternatively, if you want to get people straight into the giant robot genre, I like Macross: Do You Remember Love. Gorgeous animation, dogfightan jets in space, romance, and it's a musical.

To go with a series, I am Xthing Cowboy Bebop. The Big O has a style that'll be very familiar to any Americans who are already into cartoons (being as it is a Japanese version of Batman The Animated Series), but it may get a little too "DEEP" on new viewers in the second half.

Decoy Lockbox
2009-06-30, 11:31 AM
Berserk!

But in all seriousness, I would go with Cowboy Bebop for all the reasons people have already stated.

Atelm
2009-06-30, 12:02 PM
I would take Nausicaa over Laputa, better movie, although Laputa is still great. Mononoke seems to be a popular one as well, with good reason.

Whether it's better is a matter of taste, but I personally found the Nausicaš film lacked a lot of the elements that made the manga a masterpiece. However, one must take into account that the film was made in 1984, when only two of the seven manga volumes were finished, in comparison to the manga being done by Miyazaki on and off from 1982 till 1994.

Nausicaš as a film sort of falls apart as a story at the very end for me, and that is one of the reasons why I prefer Laputa as a film. Both are, naturally, good films as is to be expected from the director.

Piedmon_Sama
2009-06-30, 01:32 PM
Cowboy Bebop, no question. It has by far the most crossover appeal and is one of the most accessible animes I've ever seen--no, the most accessible. Even though it's anime, I think it takes most of its tropes/storylines from western sources like action movies and sci-fi and so there's not a lot you need to know going in.

Lost Demiurge
2009-06-30, 02:28 PM
Black Lagoon!

Seriously, anyone who can tolerate an action movie will get a thrill out of this one.

Ohgodtherats
2009-06-30, 02:36 PM
I'm a terrible person for admitting it, but I would strap someone to my couch until they understood the glory of the Slayers series. I can't explain it but I'm a sucker for that one. I know it's not the best (at all) but it's the only one that I keep rewatching. I....I'm not a proud man.
-Jared

Berserk Monk
2009-06-30, 04:37 PM
Gurren Lagann.

UltraDude
2009-06-30, 05:05 PM
Black Lagoon!

Seriously, anyone who can tolerate an action movie will get a thrill out of this one.

Good choice. Probably the same accessibility level as Cowboy Bebop, possibly even more.

Nerd-o-rama
2009-06-30, 05:23 PM
I'm a terrible person for admitting it, but I would strap someone to my couch until they understood the glory of the Slayers series. I can't explain it but I'm a sucker for that one. I know it's not the best (at all) but it's the only one that I keep rewatching. I....I'm not a proud man.
-JaredNah, are you kidding? Slayers is awesome. It's just a Saturday morning cartoon, that's all. Great for addicting D&D players to anime, too.

Oh, and on the subject of shows that take a lot from American TV and movies...Full Metal Panic sort of fits the bill. The action scenes are all very Hollywood War Movie inspired (at least the bits without the flashy Lambda Driver moves), though the comedy/relationship stuff is solidly rooted in Japanese pop culture instead. It's an iffy thing.

Dispozition
2009-06-30, 05:37 PM
Whether it's better is a matter of taste, but I personally found the Nausicaš film lacked a lot of the elements that made the manga a masterpiece. However, one must take into account that the film was made in 1984, when only two of the seven manga volumes were finished, in comparison to the manga being done by Miyazaki on and off from 1982 till 1994.

Nausicaš as a film sort of falls apart as a story at the very end for me, and that is one of the reasons why I prefer Laputa as a film. Both are, naturally, good films as is to be expected from the director.

Ah, I haven't read the manga, so that may be influencing me a bit...I would love to get my hands on it, but each volume is something like $50 over here...So it would cost $350 to get the whole lot...I could buy a lot of other things with that money :<

I suppose Laputa is a more rounded film, but Nausicaa, I feel, has a lot more nicer moments or memorable moments although it may not be as good on the whole, that's why I like it more :P The fact that Nausicaa was also the movie that got me into anime might have something to do with it as well.

Decoy Lockbox
2009-06-30, 08:26 PM
Good choice. Probably the same accessibility level as Cowboy Bebop, possibly even more.

I'd agree, but the Cowboy Bebop characters are a bit more endearing than the cast of Black Lagoon, imho.

Xyk
2009-06-30, 10:24 PM
By far my favorite is Death Note, however that is not really a good example of other anime. I also like Kenshin and that one is far more accessible. I have not really watched Cowboy Bebop, so I can't say anything about that.

Poison_Fish
2009-06-30, 11:46 PM
It really depends on the person. I got one of my ex girlfriends into anime through Clannad, but I got other friends through One Piece, Outlaw Star, and the final show I used that got someone into it was Bacanno.

So, again, it really depends on the person and their overall interests.

Lost Demiurge
2009-07-01, 08:25 AM
I'd agree, but the Cowboy Bebop characters are a bit more endearing than the cast of Black Lagoon, imho.

In some ways, that's true... But only after you get to know them. There's quite a number of episodes to go through before you really "Get" the depth of the characters.

But Black Lagoon is by no means shallow. Rock and Revvy have some serious growth over the course of the series. And you get sneak peeks into supporting characters, like Balalaika's flashback to her youth, and Afghanistan.

Artemician
2009-07-01, 09:26 AM
In some ways, that's true... But only after you get to know them. There's quite a number of episodes to go through before you really "Get" the depth of the characters.

But Black Lagoon is by no means shallow. Rock and Revvy have some serious growth over the course of the series. And you get sneak peeks into supporting characters, like Balalaika's flashback to her youth, and Afghanistan.
I find that the more I learn about the Black Lagoon characters (bar Dutch and Roberta), the more I dislike them, frankly.

Call me prejudiced - I like seeing some morality in what I watch.

kamikasei
2009-07-01, 09:32 AM
It's not a matter of their depth or growth, anyway, but their likability. The Bebop characters are, IMO, and agreeing with Decoy Lockbox, just easier to like and sympathize with.

Zeta Kai
2009-07-01, 10:55 AM
1) Cowboy Bebop

2) Last Exile

3) Trigun

I'm glad that you all have enjoyed this thread, but it is now over. Sorry, but I have ended it. :smallbiggrin:

Lost Demiurge
2009-07-01, 02:17 PM
It's not a matter of their depth or growth, anyway, but their likability. The Bebop characters are, IMO, and agreeing with Decoy Lockbox, just easier to like and sympathize with.

We could argue back and forth about specific characters, but that would invoke serious nerd rage.

Let us agree that different people like different things, and move on.

Lord Seth
2009-07-01, 02:20 PM
Given that we have no idea what kind of thing they'd like, I'd probably choose Cowboy Bebop because it seems like it crosses a high spectrum of interests.

The question's a bit rigged if you don't know what they like, though.

nothingclever
2009-07-01, 03:34 PM
I'd have X person watch Legend of the Galactic Heroes because it's great and X person is probably tired of Cowboy Bebop recommendations.

At least you all didn't say FLCL as well or some other typical nostalgia series.

Nerd-o-rama
2009-07-01, 04:54 PM
FLCL's a bit too bizarre/WTFJapan for an introduction, I'd say. It's a simple story, but damn if the telling of it isn't weird.

Lord Starlight
2009-07-03, 04:35 PM
While I absolutely loved Code Geass, I'm not sure it would be a good intro due to the many plot twists. Berserk would be better in that case, it's got some of the general anime characteristics without the really "out there" stuff that might scare off a first-time viewer. Quite a bit of violence though, which could also make it less suitable depending on the viewer.

I have seen very little of Cowboy Bebop, I should remedy this some day especially since so many seem to enamored with it. Black Lagoon will also get a glance based on this thread, thanks for the tip :)

Death Note is already on my list, might watch that soon.

Querzis
2009-07-03, 05:35 PM
Its too bad I have to choose a season. I would have said One Piece but I just cant decide the season. So instead Trigun. Trigun all the way. Its my second favorite anime even if its pretty old.

Otherwise Full Metal Alchemist is a must. I really dont understand why I'm the first one who said that in this thread, come on its Full Metal Alchemist! I honestly didnt like Cowboy Bebop that much but I'm one of the only one who didnt go crazy for it, you'll probably love it like everyone else.

And if I really have to choose a season from One Piece then...definitly Enies Lobby.

Tharivol123
2009-07-08, 10:14 PM
Gotta go with Cowboy Bebop as well, Trigun as a second. Right now I'm re-watching Trigun before doing the same to Bebop, then switching over to Blood+ while I wait for new episodes of Bleach every week.

Kaez
2009-07-09, 04:33 AM
My personal opinion (yeah some of you might be sick of it) would be Bleach. In fact a lot of people I know started on Bleach :P.

If I was going to pick a specific season, it would have to be the first 20 episodes and the Soul Society arc (not just for continuity and less confusion, but the art was pretty damn close from manga to anime).

If I was going to have to say another choice, I would have to get Death Note as another starter anime, although I would highly recommend reading the manga as the anime has things omitted the ending is different (peaceful death my ass)

adibobo
2009-07-10, 07:36 AM
My personal opinion (yeah some of you might be sick of it) would be Bleach. In fact a lot of people I know started on Bleach :P.

If I was going to pick a specific season, it would have to be the first 20 episodes and the Soul Society arc (not just for continuity and less confusion, but the art was pretty damn close from manga to anime).

If I was going to have to say another choice, I would have to get Death Note as another starter anime, although I would highly recommend reading the manga as the anime has things omitted the ending is different (peaceful death my ass)

While I also liked bleach a lot, i wouldn't recomend it to someone who has probably newer seen anime before. Naruto, the zabuza arc, would be the
best choice, and even if they have seen anime before, it still is a good choice.

Thrawn183
2009-07-10, 11:09 AM
FLCL is so weird I still can't figure out if they're saying love is a good thing or bad. argh.

kamikasei
2009-07-10, 11:10 AM
They're saying love is powerful and will mess you the hell up, especially when you're twelve.

LurkerInPlayground
2009-07-13, 09:50 PM
Given that we have no idea what kind of thing they'd like, I'd probably choose Cowboy Bebop because it seems like it crosses a high spectrum of interests.

The question's a bit rigged if you don't know what they like, though.
In light of the actual question of what you'd first show somebody if you had to, yes.

I never particularly loved Cowboy Bebop but I can't really argue that it's bad. It's stylish in near every way imaginable. It's succinct and has self-contained stories. It's well animated. The art avoids being generic for anime. It's refreshingly unpretentious most of the time. It sets out with the objective of creating noirish pulp and achieves it brilliantly. It also has one of the best english dubs that I have ever heard in anime.

And that's pretty much my gripe with it. It wasn't really ambitious enough in terms of plotting, setting or character development. But if I had to show an anime and make a strong first impression, this would be that show. It's just that accessible.

Oracle_Hunter
2009-07-14, 12:24 AM
But if I had to show an anime and make a strong first impression, this would be that show. It's just that accessible.Precisely.

Remember that, for most people, anime is weird and/or creepy. Don't show them anything that is weird and/or creepy - show them something they can relate to.
NGE is right out. FLCL too.

Death Note involves mass murder and really creepy people doing weird things. Pass.

Haibane Renmei will bore them to death. OK, I really didn't like it, but I think we can agree that its pacing is "non-traditional" enough to bore/enrage a casual viewer. Also, the themes of the series are sufficiently bizarre to weird out the average man.

Mecha, in general, is going to be odd. Dudes might like it, or they might be bored/confused with the tropes invoked - TTGL is certainly a poor choice for general first consumption.

Contemporary shoujo, similarly, relies too much on tropes established for the particular genre; Ouran Host Club is a particularly extreme example of this.Cowboy Bebop is highly "westernized" - it uses familiar tropes (film noir & westerns in particular); has excellent music (which is jazz instead of J-Pop, and usually have lyrics in English); combines humor and drama effectively (to hit both sides of the spectrum); and has enough tragedy and ass-kicking to please stereotypical members of either gender.

Oh, and it is something they may have heard about - without also associating it with "creepy fans" or "little kids."

That said - you should pick out something that you think the particular person will enjoy. Lord knows there's enough variety out there to provide one anime that will appeal to any given person.

LurkerInPlayground
2009-07-14, 01:49 AM
Death Note isn't particularly "weird" per se. Most people are simply going to see a suspense-drama story wrapped in the trappings of horror. Maybe they'd even see it as a bit of a morality play.

As far as an introductory anime goes, I could see Death Note working fairly well, since most people don't actually care that much if a TV series takes a noise dive. That happens all the time anyway and it can still be a lot of fun in spite of itself.

It's just far less polished than Cowboy Bebop.

Death Note self-destructs under the weight of implausibility and bad writing. Both L and Light are built up to superhuman heights. That works fine as fantasy and makes for a nice titanic struggle between two demigods with differing philosophies. It stops working when they kill off L by making Light all-knowing, then keep making excuses as to why Light won't meet self-defeat due to his very real flaws. What could have been tragedy turns to cheese.

The latter doesn't have that problem because it's taking a very pulp fiction attitude anyway and isn't investing so much into an ongoing plot. At most, Cowboy Bebop has some core backstory which doesn't derive its thrill from a specific chain of events, or dragging them out when they've lost their cachet. As said, it's unpretentious.

Even allowing for story, Cowboy Bebop is simply superior in nearly every quarter: better art, better music, better animation, etc.

Oracle_Hunter
2009-07-14, 02:18 AM
Death Note isn't particularly "weird" per se. Most people are simply going to see a suspense-drama story wrapped in the trappings of horror. Maybe they'd even see it as a bit of a morality play.The "weird" elements I was actually more concerned about are best summed up by one word: Misa (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misa_Amane)

She mixes sexuality with ...disturbing shifts in characterization that create a combination that, IMHO, is going to slap newbies in the face with the "it's a creepy sex cartoon" stereotype - and that may kill 'em.

Admittedly, she doesn't show up until Episode 13, and the newbie may be hooked by then; but I still wouldn't want to risk it when a much "safer" alternative is available.

Also: I wanted to avoid the "Japanese cartoons are incredibly disturbing" vibe that may turn people off; the sort of Evil that Light performs is going to look a lot more alien to newbies than the more mundane savagery of Vicious in Cowboy Bebop.

Hawriel
2009-07-19, 01:24 AM
[QUOTE=Zeta Kai;6405826]2) Last Exile
[QUOTE]

I really loved the first third to half of Last Exile. The last third almost lost me in the way that JRPGs lose me because the plot stops neer the end of the game.

Maybe Im just old but Im really suprised no one mentioned...

Akira or Lensmen. I saw trailers for these movies at my city's down town theater (collage town) as a kid. I was blown away by them.

doliest
2009-07-19, 02:06 AM
I'd suggest either Death Note or even more likely FLCL which seems more accessible than most anime since the humor is actually more inline with (in my case) american humor then most anime, but assuming that's not an option I'd still go with Death Note which has a good plot that doesn't collapse and is short enough that it doesn't drag on.

Rae Artemi
2009-07-19, 09:08 AM
Anything by Hayao Miyazaki, though my personal choice would be Princess Mononoke.

Dinvan
2009-07-19, 09:14 AM
Outlaw star or Cowboy bebop. Two anime that I loved to death.

Wraithy
2009-07-19, 09:56 AM
Fullmetal Alchemist (the first version of the anime, seeing as the second isn't finished). Its great, it combines a series of smallish arcs with an underlying storyline that was a joy to watch.

Kato
2009-07-19, 01:19 PM
Okay, I couldn't think of a proper thing, I'll admit, but I guess I'll also recommend Cowboy Bebop. Maybe pick a few episodes which are especially good, because 8 hours is quite a lot for starters which know nothing of it. (e.g. Ballad of Fallen Angels, Sympathy for the Devil, Heavy Metal Queen, Mushroom Samba etc)

lisiecki
2009-07-19, 09:53 PM

you have no idea who they are or what they like. and i would appreciate if you would answer before reading the other comments

edit: you can choose an anime movie if you want.

Galaxy express 999 if they don't like it, the I don't understand why I would want to spend time with them.