PDA

View Full Version : We are no longer being served by Mrs. Slocombe

shadzar
2009-07-01, 06:04 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mollie_Sugden

We are no longer being served. :smallfrown:

Sugden died at the Royal Surrey County Hospital in Guildford on 1 July 2009 of unspecified causes.

J.B. Ganning
2009-07-01, 06:15 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mollie_Sugden

We are no longer being served. :smallfrown:

Hmm, I can't say I'm sad to see her go, but I'll say she had a good enough talent to be remembered.

The show itself wasn't all too special for me, but I didn't start watching it until this millennium.

shadzar
2009-07-01, 06:18 PM
I remember too many late nights watching PBS and Faulty Towers and Are You Being Served and Red Dwarf.

I guess it just makes me feel old that all these people are going at the rate they are today.

BBC hasn't really been what it used to for quite a few years, but then what TV station has?

GrandMasterMe
2009-07-03, 04:49 PM
So I've been wondering. Is this apparent rash of celebrity deaths due to A. weird random chance. Or B. there are so many of them that they die in numbers comperable to this on a regular basis and the presence of an a listers like michael jackson and farrah just brought it more to our attention?

Helanna
2009-07-03, 05:44 PM
Strawberryman put it best in another thread in Friendly Banter.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d2/Raitoindeepthought.PNG

(Apologies to strawberryman)

factotum
2009-07-04, 12:51 AM
So I've been wondering. Is this apparent rash of celebrity deaths due to A. weird random chance. Or B. there are so many of them that they die in numbers comperable to this on a regular basis and the presence of an a listers like michael jackson and farrah just brought it more to our attention?

People die all the time. It's just that a couple of people who are more famous than most died at this point. There were thousands of people dying across the world the same day MJ went, but none of them will be remembered.

Tirian
2009-07-04, 02:48 PM
People die all the time. It's just that a couple of people who are more famous than most died at this point. There were thousands of people dying across the world the same day MJ went, but none of them will be remembered.

That would have been a better point had Farrah Fawcett not died the same day. :smallwink:

I suppose that maybe the nature of celebrity started to broaden in the mid 1960's; Andy Warhol famously commented about it in 1968 and I'm not sure when or if it has stopped growing. So it stands to reason that there will come to be more and more "notable" people reaching the extent of their mortality as time goes on. Still, I think that the trifecta of MJ, FF, and Ed McMahon just made us more sensitive, because we ordinarily wouldn't think anything strange of the Mollie Sugdens or Karl Maldens of the world moving on to the next one.

Rae Artemi
2009-07-04, 03:11 PM
That would have been a better point had Farrah Fawcett not died the same day. :smallwink:

I suppose that maybe the nature of celebrity started to broaden in the mid 1960's; Andy Warhol famously commented about it in 1968 and I'm not sure when or if it has stopped growing. So it stands to reason that there will come to be more and more "notable" people reaching the extent of their mortality as time goes on. Still, I think that the trifecta of MJ, FF, and Ed McMahon just made us more sensitive, because we ordinarily wouldn't think anything strange of the Mollie Sugdens or Karl Maldens of the world moving on to the next one.

You forgot Billy Mayes.

Coidzor
2009-07-04, 03:12 PM

Except, y'know... MJ's death did overshadow FF's death.

Zeta Kai
2009-07-04, 04:14 PM
I am saddened by the loss of Mollie Sudgen. I loved her portrayal of Mrs. Slocombe, both on AYBS & on G&F. She will be missed. :smallfrown:

I especially liked to watch interviews of her OOC, which was so refreshingly different in demeanor. She apparently was nothing like Mrs. S in real life, & that vast dichotomy made them both so vibrant & remarkable.

And that ever-changing hair was hilarious. Her cat was too. :smallwink:

Badgercloak
2009-07-04, 04:18 PM
Thats soo sad. RIP.:smallfrown: