PDA

View Full Version : New spell idea

Korivan
2009-07-02, 08:52 AM
Okay, having played alot of MTG and DND, i've wondered about incorperating some of the cards into wizard spells. Namely something like Undermine. Which counters a spell, and deals damage to the caster. Now, I know of a couple of wizard spells that dispel and can make a caster lose a spell (arcane turmoil) and another I cant remember that dispels and deals a pathetic amount of damage based on the dispel. What i'm looking at is something like

Spellcasters Pain (lesser)
Necromancy?
Level:???
Components:V.S.
Casting Time:1 immediate action
Range:medium
Target:1 target
Duration:instantanious
Saving Throw:fort/or will
Spell Resistance:???

Description:Works the same as using dispel magic as a counterspell, however, if the spell is countered, then the mage must make a fortitude save or suffer from (some spell effect that sickens, fatigues, makes them take small amount of damage, or lose spell, looking for something minor)

Spellcasters Pain
Necromancy?
Components:same
Casting Time:same
Range:same
Target:same
Duration:same
Saving Throw:same
Spell Resistance:same

Description: As lesser, but if the save is failed, something nastier happens. (worse sickness, higher damage?)

Spellcasters Pain (greater)
Necromancy?
Components:same
Casting Time:same
Range:same
Target:same
Duration:same
Saving Throw:same
Spell Resistance:same

Description: As lesser, but if save is failed is much worse. (maybe multiple spells lost possible, debilitating or near-debilitating effect?)

I appreciate any help as I'd like to make a counterspell heavy mage in our next magic heavy campaign and I'd like to add some more flavor and zing into him.

AslanCross
2009-07-02, 09:13 AM
PHB2 introduces the concept of dual school spells. You could have these as Abjuration/Necromancy.

Gaiyamato
2009-07-02, 09:16 AM
Or as counterspells they could be Divination/Necromancy which is more likely.

Kaiyanwang
2009-07-02, 09:20 AM
Or as counterspells they could be Divination/Necromancy which is more likely.

Dispel Magic is Abjuration. And I think Aslan's one is a very good Idea.

OP: if you allow fortitude save, I'd go whit stunned or dazed in the high, sickened in the middle and hlaf of the damage of an arcane spell of the same level.

levels?.. 3, 6, 9? Dispel Cap +10, +20, +25.

Immediate action is too much - prepare an action princess. :smallwink: or at least waste the slot of celerity.