PDA

View Full Version : favorite reality show?

MichelleLBC
2009-07-02, 06:36 PM
What is your favorite reality show? Mine was Beauty and the Geek, until they canceled it :(

snoopy13a
2009-07-02, 06:48 PM
American Idol. My TV watching is pretty much Heroes, Fringe, American Idol and ESPN.

raitalin
2009-07-02, 06:53 PM
I generally hate reality TV, but Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares (BBC) has got me hooked. By extension I generally watch the last 6-8 episodes of Hell's Kitchen.

Starscream
2009-07-03, 01:16 PM
It's called "Real Life". Although some think that it has overstayed its welcome (currently in season 15 billion), I find the characters fascinating.

Avilan the Grey
2009-07-03, 01:22 PM
All Gordon Ramsey's shows. Top Chef. And of all time the Swedish version of Survivor, back when it was good (first five seasons), before they started casting, and just picked people (much better dynamic).

Jamin
2009-07-03, 01:47 PM
It's called "Real Life". Although some think that it has overstayed its welcome (currently in season 15 billion), I find the characters fascinating.

It got old after just 16 years for me. We need another world war to liven it up

Flame of Anor
2009-07-04, 04:03 AM
It got old after just 16 years for me. We need another world war to liven it up

Does anyone have that "Real Life--Worst Computer Game Ever" demotivational?

Ghastly Epigram
2009-07-04, 04:10 AM
Survivor definitely. Never gets old for me somehow.

Liffguard
2009-07-04, 04:31 AM
My favourite is definitely Last Man Standing. It basically involved a bunch of athletes from various sporting backgrounds travelling round the world and staying with indigenous tribal cutlures. During their time with each tribe they would have to learn the local sport which was often a type of fighting but there were also examples of running, canoe racing and even cricket. At the end of the time with each tribe they would then compete with the locals to earn the title of Last Man Standing. That show rocked.

Aptera
2009-07-04, 11:20 AM
I don't like any reality TV shows, but the one that looked the most interesting was Knightmare, or at least I think thats how it was spelled. Mostly so I could just laugh at those poor kids doing ludicrously hard challenges.

If were talking about present day ones, then Wipeout. Mostly because when I see it it leads to one inevitable question: Who decided to make a giant foam real life platformed?

Brewdude
2009-07-04, 07:25 PM
Survivor for me too. I own every season...and Pearl Islands is still the best (followed closely by Vanatu and Cook Islands).

Megatron46
2009-07-06, 09:30 AM
Favourite reality show!
Is that even a phrase? Can't we just destroy them all and make the world a better place?

RMS Oceanic
2009-07-06, 09:34 AM
The Apprentice. Specifically, the UK version with Sir Alan Lord Sugar.

I don't know what it is about it, but it's good fun watching people make horribly stupid mistakes. Best example this year: The Cedar Wood/Sandlewood mix-up.

valadil
2009-07-06, 10:10 AM
The only one I ever watched was Beauty and the Geek. I only watched it because I knew one of the Geeks from college. Yes, Richard really is that dorky in real life.

Mr.Silver
2009-07-06, 10:31 AM
Does Mythbusters count? Assuming it isn't secretly Adam's substituted reality after all.

Lord Seth
2009-07-06, 12:11 PM
The Amazing Race.

Cristo Meyers
2009-07-06, 12:14 PM
There were only two that I actually enjoyed. There are a few I can stomach if I don't think to hard about what I'm watching, but only two that I could actually enjoy. The Mole and Combat Missions. Two seasons and a single season respectively.

Joran
2009-07-06, 12:38 PM
Does Mythbusters count? Assuming it isn't secretly Adam's substituted reality after all.

I think it doesn't, because I would put it in the same category as documentaries. I've been trying to come up with a definition for reality TV show but I always seem to find exceptions. =P However, I love Mythbusters.

My favorite reality shows are:
So You Think You Can Dance (FOX): In one show, the performers will go from hip-hop, to Bollywood, to ballroom, to contemporary, back to hip-hop; the sheer variety of dance they have on the show is amazing. I watch it mostly for the entertaining choreography. The couple of complaints on the show are that it runs way too long (2 hours for performances; 1 hour for results) and tends to have too much filler. Also, one of the judges likes to scream, which is a shame, since she actually has a lot of knowledge and when quieter can really communicate that knowledge. These problems are solved by DVRing the show and fast forwarding through judging and commercials. My favorite performances tend to be choreographed by Mia Michaels or Napoleon and Tabitha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pKIetmaLWs

America's Best Dance Crew (MTV): Unlike SYCD, ABDC is primarily hip hop, but instead of pairs or solos, the dancing is done in crews up to 7 people. I like how the groups seem to choreograph their own routines, but I'm not certain this is the case. It also has the benefit of being much shorter (each episode is only an hour), but it's not in HD alas. I've seen some pretty cool routines in the show and my favorite crews from years past are Kaba Modern, Jabbawockeez, Fanny Pak, Quest Crew, and Beat Freaks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFYbjrqdYDo

Ninja Warrior/Sasuke (G4): Imagine basically a parkour obstacle course set on top of a mountain. Every 6 months, 100 contestants attempt to pass all four obstacle courses to attain "total victory". In the 22 seasons of the show, only 2 people have attained total victory and each year they make it harder. Some of the obstacles are seriously demented stuff (I'm looking at you Shin Cliff Hanger), but it is very entertaining to watch. Go watch a clip of Makoto Nagano for a good idea of what I mean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oco3lPfokaU

Cristo Meyers
2009-07-06, 01:03 PM
My favorite reality shows are:
So You Think You Can Dance (FOX): In one show, the performers will go from hip-hop, to Bollywood, to ballroom, to contemporary, back to hip-hop; the sheer variety of dance they have on the show is amazing. I watch it mostly for the entertaining choreography. The couple of complaints on the show are that it runs way too long (2 hours for performances; 1 hour for results) and tends to have too much filler. Also, one of the judges likes to scream, which is a shame, since she actually has a lot of knowledge and when quieter can really communicate that knowledge. These problems are solved by DVRing the show and fast forwarding through judging and commercials. My favorite performances tend to be choreographed by Mia Michaels or Napoleon and Tabitha.

My wife has yet to miss a season of this. I can watch it, but the complaints you listed are the things that invariably lead me to want to change the channel. The dances are usually amazing (when they're not just out and out weird), it's all the stuff in between that grates.

Joran
2009-07-06, 01:27 PM
My wife has yet to miss a season of this. I can watch it, but the complaints you listed are the things that invariably lead me to want to change the channel. The dances are usually amazing (when they're not just out and out weird), it's all the stuff in between that grates.

If you have a DVR, it definitely makes it less grating. Another thing I do is to take the time to do the dishes and have the wife call me in whenever it's time for a performance. Does your wife actually like the judging? Occasionally, I find it interesting, especially for something relying on forms like ballroom, but I don't really need them to tell me that the ballerina is a "true ballerina". Or screaming on the top of her lungs about how someone is on a hot tamale train =P

If you like the hip hop dancing, I'd recommend America's Best Dance Crew; all three seasons are available online at MTV.

Berserk Monk
2009-07-06, 01:33 PM
Favorite reality show? That's like asking someone what was the greatest time they were shot.

Cristo Meyers
2009-07-06, 01:38 PM
If you have a DVR, it definitely makes it less grating. Another thing I do is to take the time to do the dishes and have the wife call me in whenever it's time for a performance. Does your wife actually like the judging? Occasionally, I find it interesting, especially for something relying on forms like ballroom, but I don't really need them to tell me that the ballerina is a "true ballerina". Or screaming on the top of her lungs about how someone is on a hot tamale train =P

They really need to start giving that woman decaf...

...or tranquilizers :smallsigh:

She does what I do, pretty much tune out the judging. The problem is, and I think it's a problem with the whole show, really, is that most of the viewership doesn't know the first thing about what any of them are talking about. It can be interesting, from time to time, but more often than not they're just pointing out things that the vast majority of the viewers would never see.

I've said that I have yet to actually see a bad performance (barring that exceedingly weird "alien impregnation" thing...), but that's because I can't see the performances the same way the judges do. It's not like, say, American Idol, where a bad singer is pretty much obvious. When I take out the whole competition angle of the show, it becomes a heck of a lot more watchable.

RabbitHoleLost
2009-07-06, 01:49 PM
So You Think You Can Dance is definitely my poison of choice. And secret pleasure.
Granted, I did not watch any of the last season, and only parts of the season before, but I really do like it.
Best dance ever on the show= Hawk and Jamie's Hummingbird Dance (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlVofx56OZM)

D_Lord
2009-07-06, 01:54 PM
My favorite reality show is this. DESTROY BUILD DESTROY! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcxkGMPAnbg)

Jamin
2009-07-06, 02:02 PM
You mean the mythbusters ripoff:smalltongue:

Cristo Meyers
2009-07-06, 02:05 PM
So You Think You Can Dance is definitely my poison of choice. And secret pleasure.
Granted, I did not watch any of the last season, and only parts of the season before, but I really do like it.
Best dance ever on the show= Hawk and Jamie's Hummingbird Dance (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlVofx56OZM)

Ah yes...what do you do with a break-dancer who specializes in quick, darting movements? Have him be a hummingbird!

...and it worked.

My personal favorites come from a ways back, so far back that I can't even remember the names properly. They're from the same season (I believe season 2, maybe 1). There was a group performance with the whole of the remaining cast dressed in some kind of Victorian zombie costume. I think the song it was set to was called Ramallamah (spelling probably horribly butchered). The next was near the end of the season. It was a hip-hop routine between two of the final three of that season, the winner and a blond guy whose name completely escapes me right now.

I remember both routines were so popular they had encore performances later that season.

RabbitHoleLost
2009-07-06, 02:10 PM
It was a hip-hop routine between two of the final three of that season, the winner and a blond guy whose name completely escapes me right now.

This one? >> (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Au90mjwRZtY)

Joran
2009-07-06, 02:11 PM

A crew with three SYCD alums just won America's Best Dance Crew. I think they performed first on SYCD as "Quest", but they won as "Quest Crew". Hok was on that crew :)

I've said that I have yet to actually see a bad performance (barring that exceedingly weird "alien impregnation" thing...), but that's because I can't see the performances the same way the judges do. It's not like, say, American Idol, where a bad singer is pretty much obvious. When I take out the whole competition angle of the show, it becomes a heck of a lot more watchable.

There's been a couple unfortunate choices. Like dancing the Cha-cha to Lady Gaga and a couple eye-bleeding costume choices. The alien impregnation thing was definitely out there, but the crash test dummies actually worked well; I must say I was very surprised. I think another dance that worked pretty well despite my initial reservations was the uh, booty dance.

I definitely agree that ignoring the competition aspect is for the best. Trying to compare all of the dance styles, especially in a given week, is impossible. I also don't like comparing dances because the choreographer sometimes shares the blame or praise for a particular dance; the best dancers can't overcome poor choreography.

The problem is, and I think it's a problem with the whole show, really, is that most of the viewership doesn't know the first thing about what any of them are talking about. It can be interesting, from time to time, but more often than not they're just pointing out things that the vast majority of the viewers would never see.

I think this is mostly true of ballroom. I've seen a couple ballroom dances that I thought were good and the dancers got massacred; however I do appreciate when the judges point out things done poorly and things done well.

Contemporary tends to be the easiest to judge, since forms and rules are less important and it's more about emotion and beauty. In this case, the audience is probably just as qualified as the judges to comment on the dance.

RabbitHoleLost
2009-07-06, 02:17 PM
Annnd, just for Cristo, after lots of searching (this one was a pain to find, cause all the videos were removed due to copyright issues)
Rama Lama Bang Bang (http://jondespa.multiply.com/video/item/193/So_You_Think_You_Can_Dance_-_Roisin_Murphy_-_Ramalama_Bang_Bang)

Lord Seth
2009-07-06, 02:19 PM
Favorite reality show? That's like asking someone what was the greatest time they were shot.How so? It's true there's plenty of awful reality shows--it probably has a higher percentage of awful shows than most genres--but there's still some good ones. Survivor I'm not a big fan of but it's okay, I liked The Apprentice in the earlier seasons, and I think The Amazing Race is usually top-notch (except for the Family Edition, ugh). Heck, there's also some so-bad-it's-good ones out there; my mother was a major fan of "I Love Money" because she found it so awful that it was hilarious to watch.

It's true the reality show genre is full of lots of awful shows, but there's still some good ones.

Fredthefighter
Ninja Warrior, Takeshi's Castle (although that's more of a game show than a reality show) and Mythbusters (if it counts).

Cristo Meyers
This one? >> (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Au90mjwRZtY)

Youtube blocked at the moment :smallredface:

Though the names came back to me: Benji and Travis. (How the hell I forgot a name like Benji is beyond me...)

There's been a couple unfortunate choices. Like dancing the Cha-cha to Lady Gaga and a couple eye-bleeding costume choices. The alien impregnation thing was definitely out there, but the crash test dummies actually worked well; I must say I was very surprised. I think another dance that worked pretty well despite my initial reservations was the uh, booty dance.

That one surprised me too. Though listening to the judges made me want to put a pencil through my eardrums..."But...and there is a but...":smallsigh:

I definitely agree that ignoring the competition aspect is for the best. Trying to compare all of the dance styles, especially in a given week, is impossible. I also don't like comparing dances because the choreographer sometimes shares the blame or praise for a particular dance; the best dancers can't overcome poor choreography.

Exactly, and this isn't the only show that suffers from it. I tried watching America's Got Talent and it suffered from pretty much the same problem. How are you going to compare a dance routine to a stand up comic to 5 (-thousand :smallsigh:) singers to a magic act? They just don't compare very well at all and you just end up watching for the novelty acts. Then those run out and all you can do is wonder "why am I watching this?"

How so? It's true there's plenty of awful reality shows--it probably has a higher percentage of awful shows than most genres--but there's still some good ones. Survivor I'm not a big fan of but it's okay, I liked The Apprentice in the earlier seasons, and I think The Amazing Race is usually top-notch (except for the Family Edition, ugh). Heck, there's also some so-bad-it's-good ones out there; my mother was a major fan of "I Love Money" because she found it so awful that it was hilarious to watch.

It's true the reality show genre is full of lots of awful shows, but there's still some good ones.

I think the only reason Survivor persists is simply because it's the show everything thinks about whenever they think of reality TV. It's like the mascot.

A lot of it is mostly tolerable these days. The really bad ones have been weeded out. Hell's Kitchen is entertaining in the same way a train wreck is interesting. Survivor just because you have to wonder where they find people that are still so naive about these games...

Annnd, just for Cristo, after lots of searching (this one was a pain to find, cause all the videos were removed due to copyright issues)
Rama Lama Bang Bang (http://jondespa.multiply.com/video/item/193/So_You_Think_You_Can_Dance_-_Roisin_Murphy_-_Ramalama_Bang_Bang)

You've just made tormenting LadyMeyers so much easier...:smallamused: She was never much of a fan of that one. :smallbiggrin:

Rogue 7
2009-07-06, 03:01 PM
I will watch The Amazing Race whenever it's on and count it as my favorite reality show, but I never actually follow it. I should see if I can find earlier seasons somewhere on the intertubes. It also holds claim to the title of "Show I'd want to be on" more than any other." Heck, screw the million bucks, it's a free trip around the world!

Joran
2009-07-06, 03:43 PM
I will watch The Amazing Race whenever it's on and count it as my favorite reality show, but I never actually follow it. I should see if I can find earlier seasons somewhere on the intertubes. It also holds claim to the title of "Show I'd want to be on" more than any other." Heck, screw the million bucks, it's a free trip around the world!

I'd prefer to be on Who Wants to Be a Millionaire. Assuming I make $30K, I can basically go anywhere in the world I want and not have to rush ;)

Assuming game shows are out of the picture, then The Amazing Race would probably be the one that I would enjoy the most. Survivor simply doesn't look like fun =P I have no special talents for any of the talent shows and I don't particularly like backstabbing people. I think a close second would be The Real World except I think my roommates would drive me bonkers within a week =P

P.S. Added some Youtube links to my first post to demonstrate some of the finest points of those shows.

doliest
2009-07-06, 11:35 PM
Who's your daddy? For unintended hilarity

The intercept

Hawriel
2009-07-07, 04:57 AM
God I wish they would go away. They are a blight on telovision and the human intellect.

That said....

C Span. Behold the irony (hypocrisy?)

GAThraawn
2009-07-07, 05:02 AM
I didn't know it was possible to have such a thing.

Joran
2009-07-07, 01:31 PM
God I wish they would go away. They are a blight on telovision and the human intellect.

That said....

C Span. Behold the irony (hypocrisy?)

Eh, like all things, there are good ones and bad ones. I dislike the celebrity ones, such as the Osbournes or Keeping up with the Kardashians, but something like So You Think You Can Dance exposes me to various types of dance that I otherwise wouldn't see.

snoopy13a
2009-07-07, 06:00 PM
One of the greatest old reality shows was Joe Millionaire. That show was great.

They tried a second season but it was a concept that can only be done once.

MissK
2009-07-09, 04:32 PM
I like the ones where people display actual skill/talent. Like Top Chef and Project Runway. The only problem is that once you take away the judging, s*** talking, crying and dramatic pauses the show's only about 15 minutes long.

I also like What Not to Wear. I have learned so much from Clinton and Stacey!

pflare
2009-07-10, 10:40 AM
Its a tie for me. Either "Charm School" or "Hitched or Ditched" they are by far the best of the trashy reality TV. If I feel like clasy reality TV (actually not a paradox) the "So you Think you can Dance" is amazing.

Zevox
2009-07-11, 11:38 PM
Up until recently, I'd never watched any, since none of those I heard of ever appealed to me. When the Susan Boyle phenomenon hit the internet and managed to come to my attention, though, I got a bit curious as to what her competition would be, and wound up watching basically that entire season of Britain's Got Talent on Youtube after a couple of her competitors really impressed me (and she had too, of course, but it was the fact that she had genuine competition that got me interested). I was actually very surprised, and pleasantly so, at how many truly skilled entertainers and artists they had on that show. Eight of the ten finalists and several of the semi-finalists impressed me greatly, and even some of the more mediocre acts were at least amusing to watch once (though there were others where I can't help but wonder what the judges were thinking even letting them past the auditions, much less into the semi-finals...). And, to my shock and awe, the ultimate winner of the competition was not the world-famous Boyle, but rather my personal favorite act of the show, a dance group called Diversity. Seeing them announced as the winner after I successfully avoided any part of the internet that would inevitably be proclaiming either "Boyle wins!" or (much less likely, as I then thought) "Boyle loses!" before I could watch the episode on Youtube was a fantastic moment for me, because I had thought it a shame that they had no real chance of winning given the immense fame and legions of fans Boyle acquired from her audition alone.

After that show so pleasantly surprised me, I decided to check out it's counterpart on this side of the pond, America's Got Talent, after I heard it was going to start airing a new season this summer. Honestly, I've mostly been disappointed - none of the acts there have quite stood up to the best Britain's Got Talent had to offer - but there have been some gems I'm interested in seeing once the show goes beyond the auditions episodes. I have been particularly annoyed, though, that they seem to spend more of the auditions episodes showing horrible auditions than their British counterpart did - I can understand showing a few that were particularly funny just for the hell of it, but when you spend half the episode on bad auditions and skim over several good ones with so little of the act shown before they get told "you're going to Vegas!" that I can literally blink and miss it (that did happen once...), you've gone over the top, in my mind.

So, there ya go - the only two reality shows I've ever watched, and my thoughts on them. Can't really say I have a favorite, given the low number of reality shows I've watched, but between those two, I'd thus far say the British version is superior.

Oh, and since I see it was mentioned, I'm all but certain that Mythbusters does not qualify as a reality show. But I'm a huge fan of it. It's actually one of my three favorite shows on television right now, alongside The Daily Show and The Colbert Report.

Zevox

toasty
2009-07-12, 12:24 AM
The Amazing Race is good. I've never been able to watch through and entire season though. My favorite Season, and one I watched the most, was Amazing Race Asia Season 1. That was good.

Top Chef is also very good, I really do like it. Though I can't appreciate the food they cook because I'm never going to be someone who appreciates fine dining like the chiefs. I want my steak medium well, with french fries and Dr. Pepper, thank you. :D

Also I enjoyed the few seasons of the apprentice I watched. I think one comment my dad made about the show that I like is he said, "I realized how much I know about how to run a business." (he doesn't, btw... not at all).

factotum
2009-07-12, 01:22 AM
There are only two reality TV shows I ever had time for: "The Mole", which had 2 series on UK TV some years ago, and "The Apprentice", which is still going. Not sure what it is about those that allow me to watch them when I'd rather gouge my eyes out with a rusty soup spoon than watch Big Brother or I'm a Celebrity, Get Me Out of Here...

BROCK22
2009-07-13, 05:55 PM
The Hills...Oh yeah

HealthKit
2009-07-14, 10:32 AM
Meh, Reality Television is neither.

Hawriel
2009-07-19, 01:14 AM
I like the ones where people display actual skill/talent. Like Top Chef and Project Runway. The only problem is that once you take away the judging, s*** talking, crying and dramatic pauses the show's only about 15 minutes long.

I also like What Not to Wear. I have learned so much from Clinton and Stacey!

I see what you meen. But I always thought of these kinds of shows like serial game shows. Phocusing on high school drama rather than the skill of the peaple invalved kill it for me. What Not to Wear is more of a big brother/sister advise show. TLC's long dead In a Fix was a neet show. They had a cast with personality and creativity. It was also a show about helping peaple. The same goes for Wile You Where Out. This being said I guess my favorite reality show is the oldest one I know of...This Old House.

pita
2009-07-19, 01:44 AM
Generally I dislike reality TV (GAH PARIS HILTON SHOULD DIE A THOUSAND BURNING DEATHS, AND THE KARDASHIANS SHOULD SUFFER FOR ETERNITY), but there are a few that I like.
There's one on E! that I like, where they take about six aspiring actors, and give them three challenges, and the best actor is hired by Warner.
There's Fear Factor, which is awesome.
And there's American Idol, which has its moments, most namely: Adam Lambert. I know it doesn't speak well of my heterosexuality to think that guy is so great, but I honestly think he's awesome and he should have won.

doliest
2009-07-19, 02:13 AM
Really I'm game for any show where people get hurt in order to win money or some kind of prize....because it's funny. It's like watching a new nascar episode every day!:smallsmile: