PDA

View Full Version : Compendium of the Arcane (Spells, to be peached)

Sissyphus
2009-07-02, 10:01 PM
please reveiw these spells carefully, they have yet to be fully tested
{table]Name:| Kaith's Lesser Field of Power
Type: |Universal
Level:| Wiz/Sorc 5, Magic 6
Component: |V, M, F
Casting Time:| One round
Range:| focused on the Gem serving as a focus
Area:| 20 ft + 5 per caster level
Duration: |4 rounds per caster level
Saving Throw: |no
Spell Resistance: | no
Effect:| all spells 3rd level and lower count as fourth level spells
Focus:| A Clear Quartz crystal with a value of 100 gp
Material component:| 1 gp of gold dust, sprinkled on the crystal
Description:| A field of energy surrounds the gem, amplifying the power of any spell cast, bringing any spell of a a level lower than four up to level four for the purposes of surpassing effects such as lesser sphere of invulnerability or spell supression fields
Damage type:|
notes:|
[/table]

{table]Name:|Kaith's Disableable phantom trap
Type:| Ilusion
Level:| Sorc/wiz 3
Component:| V, S, F
Casting Time:| 10 minutes
Range:|
Area:|
Duration:| Permenant
Saving Throw:| no
Effect:| object seems trapped, with disable dc 20
Focus:| A chest, door or lock
Material component:|
Description:| Anyone searching the enchanted object belives that it is trapped, and they can attempt to disable the trap (dc 20), after which they become convinced they disabled a real trap, any traps already in place, or installed later gain a +10 to there search and disable checks
notes:| Sometimes, you just want to be truly evil
[/table]

{table]Name:| Kaith's Poision orb
Type:| Conjuration
Level:| wiz/sorc 3
Component:| V, S
Casting Time:| One standard action
Range:| 60 feet
Area:| orb- one person, 10 ft
Duration:| Instantaneous
Saving Throw: | target- no, splash- reflex halves, fort negates poision
Effect:| target- 2d4 acid damage (ranged touch), splash- 1d4 acid, affected: 1d6 dex poision, secondary 1d4 dex poision
Focus:|
Description:| You create a small orb of posionous acid, (non magical, once cast it cannot be suppresed/sheilded against with antimagic) when it hits the target, it sprays outwards hitting anyone within 10 ft, the acid lasts for 1 additional round per four caster levels, the posion Dc is equivalent to a save dc (10+spell level+spellcasting modifier (int, wis, or Char)
[/table]

{table]Name:| Sissyphus's Insurmountable task
Type:| Enchantment (compulsion)
Level:| Sorc/wiz 8, cleric 8
Component:| V, S, M
Casting Time:| one round
Duration:| permentant, will saves once/year
Saving Throw:| will negates
Effect:| Compelled to perform an impossible task
Material component:| 50 gp worth of crushed spices, and a 2 lb rock
Description:| The Target of the spell must make a will save, or they become complled to complete an impossible task. This task can be simply impossible (find a way to reverse entropy), or it can force a restart repeatedly (push a boulder up a hill, it always breaks loose halfway up), any attmepts to stop the task results in madness, as if affected by insanity,it can be dispelled as if it were geas/quest, but the target must make a will save at +10 to avoid becoming obsessed with the task anyways, and seeking to complete it (forced restart tasks lose whatever forces the restart, unless it is un related to the spell, ie if the condition is the boulder breaks loose halfway uo, the boulder stops breaking loose, if on the other hand, storm giants steal the boulder, because theywere there already, and they do it for fun, they are un affected by the spells dispelling, the task remains impossible)
[/table]

{table]Name:| Kaith's Bane bolt
Type:| Evocation
Level:| Prepared caster 2, ranger 1
Component:| V, S
Casting Time:| one standard action
Range:| 60 feet
Area:| ray
Duration:| instananeous
Spell Resistance: | Yes (no if bane is creature, see below)
Effect:| 1d8 damage per two caster levels (up to 10th level)+(see description), ranged touch attack
Description:| When a wizard perpares the spell, he determines one group of foes against which this spell is baneful (from the ranger table for favored enemy), if a ranger casts the spell, it is baneful against anything he has a favored enemy bonus against. If used against a foe it is baneful to it deals +2d8 damage per caster level (arcane magic user), or +2d8 damage per +2 favored enemy bonus up to 10d8, you gain a +1 on your attack roll for each two levels (arcane magic) or each +2 bonus (ranger) up to a +5 bonus
Damage type:| force
notes:| the Difference between prepared and spontaneous casters is for balance reasons, if you don't need to pick your bane until you see the target, it's much more powerful
[/table]

{table]Name:| Kaith's Soul fuel:
Type:| Necromantic
Level:| Wiz/Sorc 7
Area:| one person
Duration:| Permanent
Saving Throw:| Will negates (-5 penalty)
Spell Resistance: | no (must have soul)
Effect:| Converts soul into energy to power a magical artifact
Focus:| A magc item, prepared but with no exp invested
Description:| When cast, this spell transmutes the soul of a dying being (0 or fewer hp) into energy to power item, the soul used provides 160 exp per character level, npc levels provide 80 exp per level, the spell can be used more than once on the same item
notes:| using this spell on an unwilling subject (who is not willfully being evil) is an evil act, and bumps you into the evil alignment if used often
[/table]

Sissyphus
2009-07-02, 10:03 PM
And some more spells:
{table]Name:| Kaith's Palm Fire
Level:| Sorc/wiz 4
Component:| V,S,F
Casting Time:| One standard Action
Range:| 20 ft
Area:| Ellipse
Duration: |Instantaneous
Spell Resistance: | yes
Effect:| 1d6 damage per level, once every 4 rounds for 7 minutes, touch attack
Material component:| Bat guano and sulfer
Description:| When cast, your hand lights on fire, the falme does not burn you, but deals 1d4 damage to anyone else who touches it, once every four rounds, you may shoot a 20ft ellipse of fire from your palm, dealing 1d6 damage per caster level, it can be cast on anyone within 30 feet of you
Damage type:| Fire
[/table]

{table]Name:| Call of the Stars
Type:| Universal
Level:| Cleric 4
Component:| V, S, DB
Casting Time:| Free action
Saving Throw:| will negates
Spell Resistance: | no (must be alive or undead)
Effect:| Sends a dying person to true death
Description:| When cast, the target feels an urge to let their soul go, pass into the final death and claim their reward, in a healthy person, it has no effect, a person with 5 or fewer hit points however must make a sving throw (-5 penalty) or let their soul go from their body and die, unless they will it a target so affected cannot be resurected, undead with no inteligence must make a -10 will save or die, undead with intelligence of any level must make a will save or die, Any bodies created this way cannot be amimated
notes:| This spell must be cast where the target can see the sky
[/table]

{table]Name: |Kaith's Acid Bath
Type:| Conjuration
Level:| wiz/Sorc 6
Component: |V, S, M
Casting Time:| one Standard action
Range:| 40 ft
Area:| 10 ft (cube)
Saving Throw:| reflex halves
Effect:| Creates a block of acid (4d4 acid dmage per level), which deals acid damge one round for every four caster levels, it flows outwards ata rate of 5ft per action, for 15 ft
Focus:| A small vial of water turned upside down as the spell is cast
Description:| When cast, this spell creates a 10 ft cube of acid, which deals 4d4 damage per level to anything inside it. It flows out at a rate of 5ft per round, becoming to thin to damage anyone after three rounds. Upon exiting the acid bathsdmage radius, you continue to take acid damge for one round per four caster levels
Damage type:| Acid damage
notes:| May need nurking
[/table]

{table]Name:| Kaith's lesser Soul fuel:
Type:| Necromantic
Level:| Wiz/Sorc 3
Duration:| Permanent
Saving Throw:| Will negates
Spell Resistance: | no (must have soul)
Effect:| Converts soul into energy to power a magical artifact
Focus:| A magc item, prepared but with no exp invested
Description:| When cast, this spell transmutes the soul of a dying being (0 or fewer hp) into energy to power item, the soul used provides 80 exp per character level, npc levels provide 40 exp per level, the spell can be used more than once on the same item. This spell cannot be used to provide exp for an item which requires more than 720 exp
notes:| using this spell on an unwilling subject (who is not willfully being evil) is an evil act, and bumps you into the evil alignment if used often
[/table]

{table]Name:| Body rise:
Type:| Necromancy
Level:| Wiz/Sorc 9
Component:| V, S, M, F
Casting Time:| one hour
Area:| 60ft +20 ft/level
Duration:| permanent
Saving Throw:| caster- will save negates
Effect:| Raises any nearby bodies, but if the caster fails his will save, he dies and comes back as a Zombie
Focus:| 400 gp worth of powdered black onyx
Material component:| A Silver Bell
Description:| When Cast, a necromancer Sprinkles Black onyx onto the bell, he then rings the bell, raising any dead body in the area, and lingering spirts are returned as wraiths, Doing so causes an influx of Necrotic energy towards the caster, who must make a will save or be slain instantly, coming back as a Zombie (if your already undead, you lose your int score, it cannont be restored in any way, and you lose any benefits of sentience (feats etc....). all undead serve the caster, but he cannot use body rise again while he still controls undead from his first casting of it, unless he could control them anyways under the normal rules for controlling undead
[/table]

{table]Name:| Burning Text
Level:| wiz/sorc 1
Component:| V, S, M, optional F
Casting Time:| one standard action
Duration:| See description
Effect:| Writes text in burning letters
Focus:| Red ink (1 gp worth of)
Material component:| A 100 gp Ruby
Description:| When cast, this spell creates text made of fire, if used in the air it lasts for 15 minutes per caster level, and deals 1d4+(cl) fire damage if someone hits it. If cast on a book when opened the words spring forth in a blaze of fire, they dissapear after fifteen minutes, rendering the page pemenantly blank, If a focus is used, they can be inscribed in the book so that they only ignite on a command word, allowing them to overay actual text, and they dissipate after fifteen minutes, but can be called again with the same command word. A dc 15 check (spot) is required to read words (unless they're large print (like four foot high letters)) written this way
Damage type:| fire
[/table]

Sissyphus
2009-07-02, 10:04 PM
And the last spell, all by himself:
{table]Name:| Unpurgeable invisibility
Type:| |Illusion
Level:| Wiz/Sorc 5
Component:| |V, S
Casting Time:| One standard action
Duration:| one round/2 levels
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: | yes
Effect:| As greater invisbilty, but it cannont be purged or dispelled (antimagic field, see invisbilty, true seeing etc… still work)
Description:| As greater invisbilty, but it cannont be purged or dispelled (antimagic field, see invisbilty, true seeing etc… still work)
[/table]

{table]Name:| Kaith's Greater Field of Power
Type: |Universal
Level:| Wiz/Sorc 7, Magic 8
Component: |V, M, F
Casting Time:| One round
Range:| focused on the Gem serving as a focus
Area:| 20 ft + 10 per caster level
Duration: |4 rounds per caster level
Saving Throw: |no
Effect:| all spells 4th level and lower count as Fifth level spells
Focus:| A Clear Quartz crystal with a value of 100 gp
Material component:| 1 gp of gold dust, sprinkled on the crystal
Description:| A field of energy surrounds the gem, amplifying the power of any spell cast, bringing any spell of a a level lower than five up to level five for the purposes of surpassing effects such as lesser sphere of invulnerability or spell supression fields
[/table]

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-07-03, 05:46 PM
using this spell on an unwilling subject (who is not willfully being evil) is an evil act, and autmaticaly bumps you into the evil alignment

This is the only issue I have with the spells. A single act should not change your alignment; a good character can commit the occasional evil act, and vice versa, with only minor ill effects. It's already noted that repeatedly casting spells with opposed alignment descriptors can change your alignment--there are a few other spells that involve destroying/transmuting/trapping/etc. souls, and they don't instantaneously change your alignment.

DracoDei
2009-07-03, 06:09 PM
First one should have a shorter duration and a higher level I think... It is half of a metamagic feat for free for the price of one spell. The only possible counter arguement I can think of is that it is very narrow utility but I still stand by what I said.

Sissyphus
2009-07-03, 11:03 PM
Gonna fix those, i put the automatic evil clause in orignally, because the use of a soul is a pretty evil act no matter what,and it's only automatic bump if you use it on a nonwilling no evil target, now if used often in the most evil caacity it bumps you, and the field of power now last only 4 rounds, and takes a fifth level spell slot.

I occurs to me, you could use field of power to muscle out low level casters, so should there be a will save against the effect (14 or fewer intel and you lose the ability to cast around this spell), or should the boost be optional?

Sissyphus
2009-07-05, 01:46 PM
I think i fixed all noted issues, anyone else find issues with it?

Milskidasith
2009-07-05, 05:31 PM
The fact it's hard to understand what you are trying to say is my issue. The wording needs a lot of work.

Sissyphus
2009-07-05, 08:22 PM
As in unclear writing, or unclear formatting?

DracoDei
2009-07-06, 10:22 PM
A little bit of both the formatting and the writing really.

Iferus
2009-07-07, 04:07 AM
Kaith's Bane bolt

1d8 damage per two caster levels (up to 10th level)+(see description),

When a wizard perpares the spell, he determines one group of foes against which this spell is baneful (from the ranger table for favored enemy), if a ranger casts the spell, it is baneful against anything he has a favored enemy bonus against. If used against a foe it is baneful to it deals +2d8 damage per caster level (arcane magic user), or +2d8 damage per +2 favored enemy bonus, you gain a +1 on your attack roll for each two levels (arcane magic) or each +2 bonus (ranger)

So at level 10, a sorcerer can do 5d8 + 20d8 force damage if they hit a ranged touch attack to which they get a +5 bonus? 25d8 =~ 112 damage?
And at level 20, this can be spammed with 45d8 damage at +10 to hit?

Debihuman
2009-07-07, 10:32 AM
Sisyphus’s Insurmountable Task should probably be Enchantment (Compulsion).

Seeing the spells in chart format with 2 spells to the chart makes it more difficult to read. You should either make a single chart for each spell or forego using charts.

Debby

Sissyphus
2009-07-07, 03:29 PM
Whoops, i meant to restrict bonus damage on the bolt to every two levels, and all effects capping out at +10d8 and +5, I'll fix that and formatting now (in pieces because reformatting is slooooow)

Edit:
I think i fixed everything, thank you for your help, more would be appreciated, perhaps make bane bolt simply unavailable to spontaneous casters?

Should bane bolt have a save against the additional damage?

Krennel
2009-07-08, 02:51 AM
alright, o i like most of the spells, call to the stars should be cleri only, and mybe bard (it sounds rather poetic). change kaiths field of power to a six or seventh level spell and have it bring the others up to level five, because the orb of spell supprssion normaly goes four and under, while leser such orbs supress 3rd or lower. either that or make a distinction between lesser and greater.
these r just suggestions.

Sissyphus
2009-07-08, 08:41 AM
Thanks, any one else have comments?
It's been readjusted to have lesser and greater Fields of power now, and Call of the stars has become a cleric spell(i agree it fits as divine magic more than anything else)

DracoDei
2009-07-08, 02:51 PM
Poison Orb makes it sound like a directly struck target doesn't get a save against the poison. Also, is it 1d6 Primary and secondary and does the DC really go up to 40? Personally I would just make the poison DC the same as the ordinarily calculated spell DC. Also, you might want to consider the merits of making the poison injected, rather than Contact, thus if the initial acid damage is fully resisted, the poison is nil-ed.

The description on "Soul Fuel" is garbled. For one thing, did you mean a lich's phylactery? Also, make it require a sentient target... otherwise any evil character can just buy a bunch cows, use this as part of the slaughter process, and still have the meat to feed to his pet dire raccoon or whatever. Even using it on captured third level commoners gets a bit cheese... make NPC levels count half?

Sissyphus
2009-07-08, 04:27 PM
whoops i totally missed that typo, yes the example was using it to make the wondrous item: lich's phylactery, but that is now irrelevant because i found a better way to set up the system

As for acid orb: since anyone inside the splash radius takes acid damage (reflex halfs, not negates) the only people that would gain something are those with acid immunity or acid Resistance the contact/penetration difference is nominal

DracoDei
2009-07-08, 05:42 PM
Body Rise encourages the removal of casting stat boosting items and perhaps even carefully controlled poisons or curses before casting because the higher your casting stat, the higher the save, and punishes them for taking Spell Focus(Necromancy). This is one case where a static save makes more sense I think, although having it go up in you heighten it for some odd reason might be justifiable.

EDIT: I assume that the DC 15 check to read flaming letters is a spot check?

Sissyphus
2009-07-08, 08:07 PM
What might work better is voluntarily losing the benefits of a level to reduce the negative effects, the idea was since it's effect grows far more powerful per level (it's hard to stack bodies up for animation, it's far easier to lay them out) the necrotic energy burst would have power after it gets sent out

about the flaming text: yes it's a spot check

DracoDei
2009-07-08, 08:35 PM
Just realized that failing your save automatically turns you into a ghost, which is actually a step up, especially if you prepared ahead of time by getting yourself some ghost-touch equipment (especially gloves/gauntles so you can manipulate miscellanious stuff).

Sissyphus
2009-07-08, 09:25 PM
Maybe i should add some bonds to that, like your bound to the area or something, i forgot how much of a bonus it incurs to become a ghost, perhaps it becomes a ghost you don't get to control or something

Sissyphus
2009-07-10, 12:32 PM
I think it would work best if the stricture was becoming an unsentient undead instead of a ghost, what do you guys think?

DracoDei
2009-07-10, 12:52 PM
That should work.

Sissyphus
2009-07-10, 01:42 PM
Fixed Body rise, targets now reanimate in the form of a zombie, if their already undead they lose their Int score, and all benefits of sentience, and i'm going to remove the ability for a sorcerer to cast bane bolt (unless you can think of a better level for it to occupy for them)