PDA

View Full Version : Umbral Rogue

Brigham
2009-07-03, 10:52 PM
I was flipping through Savage Species for templates and found Umbral. It seemed fun, but impractical until it dawned on me that Umbral attacks are ability damage and this works with Sneak Attack abilities.

So, Umbral Rogue (any race)? Am I missing something or did I just find a way to score and extra 7d6 Str damage at level 20?

note:using Pathfinder rules, D&D splatbooks

edit: Thanks for any help.

Dhavaer
2009-07-03, 11:04 PM
I'm fairly sure that sneak attacking with ability damage (and energy drain?) causes negative energy damage.

arguskos
2009-07-03, 11:09 PM
I'm fairly sure that sneak attacking with ability damage (and energy drain?) causes negative energy damage.
...why wouldn't it deal the ability damage?

@OP: What will happen is that your attack will deal 1d6 Str damage, and +xd6 extra, untyped damage from the sneak attack. Nowhere does it say anything about not doing the extra damage or it becoming something else or whatnot. :smallsmile:

Sinfire Titan
2009-07-03, 11:12 PM

You would be correct. Negative Levels, Ability Damage, and Ability Drain all deal Negative Energy damage when you use Sneak Attack with those abilities, according to both CArc and the Rules Compendium.

Brigham
2009-07-03, 11:15 PM
@OP: What will happen is that your attack will deal 1d6 Str damage, and +xd6 extra, untyped damage from the sneak attack.

Thanks, Arguskos, though you kind of burst my bubble :( Is there somewhere official I can find a ruling for Sneak Attack damage that speaks to this issue, or is the "untyped damage" supposed to be understood?

edit: Those are the answers I sought. Thanks everyone!

arguskos
2009-07-04, 12:00 AM
You would be correct. Negative Levels, Ability Damage, and Ability Drain all deal Negative Energy damage when you use Sneak Attack with those abilities, according to both CArc and the Rules Compendium.
Would you mind giving a page number in either Comp. Arcane or RC for me? I can't find that ruling, and would love to see it (I always thought the damage was untyped).