PDA

View Full Version : The Brawler

GreatWyrmGold
2009-07-04, 08:03 AM
Originally just a way to justify monk-like talents in obviously chaotic characters, I realised it would be viewed as a monk fix. So what the hey, I'll try that, too.

The Brawler
This class is identical to the monk except as noted.
Alingment: A brawler must be non-lawful.
Hit die: d10
Proficiencies: Replace with all simple and improvised weapons, and light armor.
Any refrence to Wisdom: Replace Wis with Con.
General Note: Unless otherwise noted, all SU abilities and their replacements become EX abilities.
Still Mind: This class feature is renamed Ignore Enchantment.
Ki Strike: Not sure yet.
Slow Fall: Replace with Wall Agility, an ability that gives a bonus on Jump and Tumble checks equal to your brawler level if you start your turn adjacent to a wall.
Purity of Body: Rename Ignore Disease.
Wholeness of Body: Rename Ignore Pain.
Diamond Soul: Rename Ignore Magic.
Quivering Palm: Not sure yet, but I'll probably just reflavor it.
Timeless Body: Not sure yet.
Tounge of the Sun and Moon: Replace with My Clothes Are Armor: By spending 1 hour, a brawler can cause any clothing to give a +5 armor bonus to AC.
Empty Body: Replace with Iron Hands: This ability functions like Iron Body except as follows:
It can be active for one minute per level, divided up as the brawler sees fit.
You are still vulnerable to attacks that affect your physiology or respiration, because you still have them.
You do not take a Dexterity penalty, and your speed is not reduced, nor do you have an armor check penalty.
You are still perfectly vulnerable to fire and acid, but are unaffected by attacks that effect iron golems.
Instead of turning your unarmed strikes into clubs, your unarmed strike damage is increased one size category.
Perfect Self: Not sure yet.

PEACH, and PHMCUWRFKSQPTBAPS (Please help Me Come Up With Replacements For Ki Strike, Quivering Plam, Timeless Body, And Perfect Self.)

GreatWyrmGold
2009-07-04, 02:46 PM
Woah...a flurry of response to wondering why monks are underpowered, but nothing for this.

Ahem.

Raise Thread

It raises a dead or dying not-commented-on thread in forums to the top of the thread list.

TSED
2009-07-04, 02:56 PM
I cannot for the life of me justify a brawler having intelligence related abilities.

Make them con-dependent, mayhaps?

GreatWyrmGold
2009-07-05, 10:55 AM
I cannot for the life of me justify a brawler having intelligence related abilities.

Make them con-dependent, mayhaps?

Woo Hoo! A reply!
Hm...
I wanted it to be a mental ability, but if I took your idea, it would reduce MAD...

BRC
2009-07-05, 10:58 AM
I've been thinking about somting like this for awhile. The old fashioned Bare-Fisted Brawler type that a Monk dosn't really fit.

Chokuto
2009-07-05, 04:18 PM
Instead of the monks normal bonus feat selection, maybe something like the rangers Combat Style, but instead of TWF or ranged, maybe something like dirty fighting and ???? Don't know what the other option should be, but I have a few ideas for the dirty fighting choices.

Pin the foot: On the Brawler's turn, he can choose one opponent adjacent to Brawler for the effect of this feat. Opponent can not be more than one size category larger than the brawler. This opponent must take a full-round action to move on his turn, should he wish to move. The opponent can make other actions normally

Or something like that, probably needs some brushing up, but something along these lines. I like the idea of the cheating brawler vs the honorable one.
I dunno, just a thought.

GreatWyrmGold
2009-07-05, 05:52 PM
Instead of the monks normal bonus feat selection, maybe something like the rangers Combat Style, but instead of TWF or ranged, maybe something like dirty fighting and ???? Don't know what the other option should be, but I have a few ideas for the dirty fighting choices.

Pin the foot: On the Brawler's turn, he can choose one opponent adjacent to Brawler for the effect of this feat. Opponent can not be more than one size category larger than the brawler. This opponent must take a full-round action to move on his turn, should he wish to move. The opponent can make other actions normally

Or something like that, probably needs some brushing up, but something along these lines. I like the idea of the cheating brawler vs the honorable one.
I dunno, just a thought.

Hm...Interesting...what feat should it replace?

NakedCelt
2009-07-06, 12:10 AM
I think you're about the eighth person to come up with a "chaotic monk" character and call it "The Brawler". I did one as well. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53334) Maybe we should all get together and write to Wizards of the Coast or something.

GreatWyrmGold
2009-07-06, 05:27 PM
I think you're about the eighth person to come up with a "chaotic monk" character and call it "The Brawler". I did one as well. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53334) Maybe we should all get together and write to Wizards of the Coast or something.

:smalleek: I...I was unaware of that.
Your idea is good, but it fails to account for the fact that WoTC no longer does 3.5 :smallfrown:.

ideasmith
2009-07-16, 10:49 PM
Some suggestions (mostly renaming):

Still Mind: Ornery (fight off enchantments)

Ki Strike (magic): Yer Not So Tough (magic)

Purity of Body: Ornery (fight off diseases)

Ki strike (lawful): Yer Not So Tough (silver)

Diamond Body: Ornery (fight off poison)

Ki strike (adamantium): Yer Not So Tough (adamantium)

Timeless Body: Ornery (fight off aging)

Empty Body: I'm Over Here, Stupid

Perfect Self: Party Animal (type changes to Monstrous Humanoid)

Juggernaut1981
2009-07-16, 11:18 PM
Make the class have an Intelligence restriction (bump up the skills to cover the likely penalty) of say Int 12 or less... Con restriction of 12+.

Bloody Minded: Bonuses against enchantments, mind-affecting effects
Een my Bloods Alcoholic!: Immunity to poisons
I've killed bigger tings dan you!: Every 3 levels you treat DR as if it was an additional point lower (if you have 6 levels after this, you would reduce DR5/magic to DR3/magic for your attacks).
Built like a brick outhouse: bonus HP and bonus to toughness
This'll do: Able to treat any object that can be lifted in one hand as a club (melee) or throwing hammer (ranged)

GreatWyrmGold
2009-07-17, 02:04 PM
Make the class have an Intelligence restriction (bump up the skills to cover the likely penalty) of say Int 12 or less... Con restriction of 12+.

Bloody Minded: Bonuses against enchantments, mind-affecting effects
Een my Bloods Alcoholic!: Immunity to poisons
I've killed bigger tings dan you!: Every 3 levels you treat DR as if it was an additional point lower (if you have 6 levels after this, you would reduce DR5/magic to DR3/magic for your attacks).
Built like a brick outhouse: bonus HP and bonus to toughness
This'll do: Able to treat any object that can be lifted in one hand as a club (melee) or throwing hammer (ranged)

Restrictions for abilities are a no-go, even for prestige classes, which this ain't.
As for the abilities, what should they replace?