PDA

View Full Version : Blood Bowl

ShadowFighter15
2009-07-05, 05:38 PM
Has anyone tried the new PC game of this? It looks interesting and I looked into the original table-top game of it at one stage.

Gamerlord
2009-07-05, 07:22 PM
I myself are waiting to see If they release into stores I am only buying something I can do unto multiple computers without paying extra.

ShadowFighter15
2009-07-06, 02:38 AM
I myself are waiting to see If they release into stores I am only buying something I can do unto multiple computers without paying extra.

They will be releasing it into stores; just not til September to co-inside with the XBox 360 version's release.

raitalin
2009-07-06, 02:44 AM
I'm personally waiting for the PSP release, since I'm on a non-optimized Linux computer and I only really care about the turn-based (table-top) version.

Killersquid
2009-07-06, 02:52 AM
I will be getting it once I get a job for PC, and probably for PSP to play online when I'm away from my computer.

potatocubed
2009-07-06, 02:17 PM

I downloaded the files, burned them onto a DVD (or four CDs if you haven't got a DVD writer), and now I can install it as often as I feel like. Well, I think that's how it works. I haven't actually tried installing it elsewhere yet.

The game itself is faithful to the tabletop version of Blood Bowl, pretty much. The Blitz mode - which you can play turn-based as well as real time - is so much better than the classic mode that there's not really any competition.

The game has built-in room for expansion. Dark Elves are about 30% coded in already, but presumably weren't finished because of time and/or budget constraints.

Down sides: the user interface is... not great, and the AI sucks. The former problem is just something you live with and the latter can be avoided simply by playing human players, handicapping yourself, or just not being an awesome Blood Bowl legend like me. :smalltongue:

Despite its faults - and there are plenty of little nitpicky ones - I still play it a lot and enjoy it. It's not a world-shaking game of greatness, but if you're looking for something similar to the tabletop game without the hassle of buying or painting miniatures, it delivers.

P.S. Go skinks go!

Joran
2009-09-08, 12:33 PM
Topic Resurrection.

Got the game, had a blast. It's very faithful to the board game, which is good. The software comes with a particularly vicious form of SecuROM, which is annoying, so wait for the Steam release version later in September.

The game is a turn-based strategy game, based on American football in the Warhammer Fantasy universe. A whole variety of tactics can be used depending on the team; the Orks and Dwarves are power-running and bashing teams while the Skavens (giant rats) and Wood Elves are more of a passing and movement based team.

For more information on the table top game and the full rules visit: http://www.bloodbowlonline.com/Rules.shtml

I'm building up an Ork team, but am having trouble picking skills. All my linemen are getting block, the better to knock down people, but I'm not sure if this is the way I should go.

ShadowFighter15
2009-09-08, 07:45 PM
I'm hoping that it's still on for September; there's been no official word of a solid release date beyond September or October. The guy at EB Games said that it'd be coming out in October, but he also said that there still wasn't an announced release date for it.

I've been watching a series of videos on youtube of a guy taking a Chaos team through the single-player campaign and it's really helped me get my head around the rules (seeing them in action makes it a lot easier to follow compared to reading them from the rulebook).

For your ork team, I found this thread on the official forums, might help: http://www.cyanide-studio.com/forumBB/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=360

Zeb The Troll
2009-09-09, 02:14 AM
I have it. My brother in law bought it and downloaded it. Apparently the download affords you a fixed number of installs (4, I think). The only catch, which makes sense, is that you can't multiplayer with anyone who's using the same key that you are.

In any case, I'd never heard of the board game but the premise sounded fun, so I gave it a whirl and I'm really enjoying it, though I've only completed one tournie so far.

Alarra and I have built a team of Wood Elves and are getting Block and Dodge for all of our linemen. We have one catcher who, during level up, got a permanent stat boost. Let me tell ya, a catcher with a 5 agility is awesome.

At this point I'm focusing on the classic mode so that I can familiarize myself with the regular rules before delving into the Blitz rules.

banjo1985
2009-09-09, 03:24 AM
A friend of mine has it and it looks pretty good, probably better than the boardgame though I love it dearly. I'm waiting for the 360 release myself, then I'll have another time-dump on my hands. Of course, that relies on my 360 deciding to work again by the time it comes out. :smalltongue:

Brother Oni
2009-09-09, 04:11 AM
Since it's apparently very faithful to the tabletop version, I assume it's the latest version of the table top rules.

As someone who's only played 1st ed (WFB rules with a football) and 2nd ed, how differently does the latest version play in comparison?

Headless_Ninja
2009-09-09, 04:09 PM
Saw this, and it looked interesting. How easy is it to get into (ie what's the learning curve like)? Especially considering I've never played Blood Bowl on the tabletop. How easy is it to find online matches with an equally-matched opponent?

potatocubed
2009-09-09, 05:32 PM
As someone who's only played 1st ed (WFB rules with a football) and 2nd ed, how differently does the latest version play in comparison?

It's a hell of a lot smoother and quicker. :smallsmile: The current version of Blood Bowl is its own game, designed from scratch, which the older versions weren't so much.

Actually, it was released as a freebie 'living rulebook' that you might be able to find somewhere on the internet - try fumbbl.com or the Blood Bowl game forums. I think it was supposed to be included in my download but I can't find it right now. Anyway: it was free and it should still be extant if you feel like giving it a look.

Joran
2009-09-09, 11:01 PM
Actually, it was released as a freebie 'living rulebook' that you might be able to find somewhere on the internet - try fumbbl.com or the Blood Bowl game forums. I think it was supposed to be included in my download but I can't find it right now. Anyway: it was free and it should still be extant if you feel like giving it a look.

http://www.bloodbowlonline.com/Rules.shtml

Unfortunately, the site only contains from 3.0 and onwards, so I can't tell you exactly what changed.

Johnny Blade
2009-09-10, 02:31 AM
LRB5 was used for the game. (Which I didn't get yet due to PC/money issues and SecuROM.)

I'm building up an Ork team, but am having trouble picking skills. All my linemen are getting block, the better to knock down people, but I'm not sure if this is the way I should go.
Well, in general, you don't want Linemen. They're not bad, but kinda in a team with 4 Black Orcs and a Troll, who can all take Guard and Stand Firm.
However, getting them Block is the right thing anyway.
Blitzers can be built in many ways, but I think having two dedicated headhunters is a good strategy. Mighty Blow and Piling On are pretty nice. Stat increases are likely to change your plans here.
As for your Throwers, one should be built to pick up the ball and run with it, and one - the second one - mainly to throw it, although there will be times when he too will have to run it in. At least that's how I do it.

ShadowFighter15
2009-09-10, 03:54 AM

Here we go; Cyanide put a link to it on the game's site: http://www.bloodbowl-game.com/index.php?rub=medias-rulebook

Joran
2009-09-10, 01:24 PM
Well, in general, you don't want Linemen. They're not bad, but kinda in a team with 4 Black Orcs and a Troll, who can all take Guard and Stand Firm.
However, getting them Block is the right thing anyway.
Blitzers can be built in many ways, but I think having two dedicated headhunters is a good strategy. Mighty Blow and Piling On are pretty nice. Stat increases are likely to change your plans here.
As for your Throwers, one should be built to pick up the ball and run with it, and one - the second one - mainly to throw it, although there will be times when he too will have to run it in. At least that's how I do it.

Good suggestions around, thank you. I like my linemen, they were with my team from the beginning, but Blitzers are strictly better than they are. I'm not sure I should grab 2 more Black Orks to round out my team; we'll see if I end up against a Lizardmen team at some point, where I need the extra beef.

Maybe we should expand the thread to just a general Blood Bowl thread? Favorite teams? Favorite strategies?

I go with a pretty basic ground attack, with no throwing. I form a cage around my thrower (who has 6 speed now and sure hands, so the ball can't be stripped from him) and systematically advance up the field, while blocking people out of my way. The game only has allowed me to face Dwarves (which I can outrun), Humans (which I can keep up with and smash), and Skavens (which I hate with a passion that burns).

ShadowFighter15
2009-09-10, 10:08 PM
Maybe we should expand the thread to just a general Blood Bowl thread? Favorite teams? Favorite strategies?

Sounds like a good idea. I won't be able to contribute to the teams or strategies til after it's over-the-counter release here in Aus, but I can provide the Let's Play I've been watching; it's really helped me get a better understanding of the rules than what you can get from just reading the rulebook.

The Saga of Faildice (http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=7F92803B7BB82E26&search_query=lets+play+blood+bowl)

Joran
2009-09-11, 10:36 AM
Saw this, and it looked interesting. How easy is it to get into (ie what's the learning curve like)? Especially considering I've never played Blood Bowl on the tabletop. How easy is it to find online matches with an equally-matched opponent?

Learning curve isn't too bad. I didn't bother with the in-game tutorial, so I'm not sure how good it is. The rules aren't too complicated, and there's a bevy of places online to find good strategies.

I was pretty frustrated for the first three or so hours I played the game. I did set the game on hard, so I was getting beat on for a little bit. Once I read some more strategies and got the hang of some of the basics, I'm able to beat the computer AI on a regular basis. How well that translates to real people, I have no idea.

There isn't much of a multiplayer option that I can see. You can "hot seat" which allows two people to play on the same computer and an online league, but there doesn't seem to be much of a matchmaking tool to just get up and play a quick online match.

Pilum
2009-09-11, 01:32 PM
Since it's apparently very faithful to the tabletop version, I assume it's the latest version of the table top rules.

Wow, I thought I was the only one who went that far back... :smallwink:

It's pretty much a different game. It's certainly been very streamlined. Can't speak for the video game, but as regards the board version:
1. Length. 2 halves of 8 turns each, rather then "First-to-X-TD's"

2. Setup. Both teams set up to the halfway line. You have to have at least 3 players on the line of scrimmage and no more than two in either wide zone, but apart from that it's up to you. Rather than start with the ball, one side actually kicks off - sometimes with 'humourous' (to whoever HASN'T just had a big rock land on him :smalleek:) consequences.

3. Turnovers. Whenever you do something wrong - fluff a block, miss a pass or even forget to move the turn counter along - your turn ends immediately. Because of this, each team has a number of rerolls - but only limited and only once per turn.

4. Sprinting is out. Everyone just has a M value, but this generally equates to how far they could get with the old M+SP anyway. Ish.

5. Blocking is completely different. You use special, pre-marked dice rather than roll on a table. Where STR comes into it is that if the players have different STR's, you roll multiple dice (up to 3) and the stronger player gets to pick the result. This can include the blocker hitting the dirt on a bad roll... Also you can only move-and-block (known as a Blitz action) ONCE per turn. So you have to actually think about how you smack. This often catches people out.

6. Tackling's gone. Instead you make a roll on the player's AGI when he leaves a tackle zone. This can be modified by certain skills and how many TZ's he's trying to dance through...

7. Passing. TS & CL have gone. Everything now runs off AGI. This does mean that, in theory, sometimes an agile catcher can be a better passer than a thrower, but in practice this is changed by

8. Skills. It's not just for Star Players now. Skills make a real difference, generally because they often allow you a reroll without spending your 'team' rerolls mentioned in #3 above. For instance, that Thrower in #7 may have a lower AGI than the Catcher - but he probably has the Pass skill, so if you roll that dreaded 1, he gets to use that to reroll that dice for free, whereas the Catcher would have been flat out of luck. Not all skills function this way - for instance, "Block" is a good basic skill as it allows you to ignore one of the results on the blocking dice, so is a useful - indeed almost mandatory - skill to have, especially for those lineorcs mentioned upthread. By contrast, you can get more subtle effects like Shadowing - the model follows an attacker who dodges past him, thus always keeping him in a TZ.

Hope that helps. Obviously I could go deeper but anything more than that and you're better off just downloading the rules from the link above!

Joran
2009-09-11, 02:42 PM
It's pretty much a different game. It's certainly been very streamlined. Can't speak for the video game, but as regards the board version:

Video game is very faithful. I find the video game version makes it even simpler to play the game. I like not having to try to figure out how many assists I'm going to have on a block or a foul. Additionally, the game will show movement boxes (how far a character can movie, including Go For Its) and tackle boxes.

I do miss rolling the dice :(

Pilum
2009-09-11, 03:27 PM
I like not having to try to figure out how many assists I'm going to have on a block or a foul.

(eye twitches involuntarily)

"So you get your Black Orc, but my lineman... oh no, wait, your blitzer... no, my catcher..."

Oh god. Yes. If there is no other reason for playing the "video-game-of-the-board-game" it would be this...
:smallbiggrin:

Gamerlord
2009-09-12, 09:19 AM
Groan, I just discovered I don't have the right graphics card....:smallfrown:

Joran
2009-09-17, 09:32 AM
My favorite part of Blood Bowl has to be fouling the ever loving heck out of players. Just played an AI Skaven team and at one point, the Skaven only had one member of the team on the field. I had KOed 7 of his players, injured three, and killed one.

I'm not quite sure how someone would play a low armor team; it just seems through attrition and injury that they'd get their best players will be injured. At worst, they won't even be able to field a complete team on the field for a drive.

SmartAlec
2009-09-17, 11:33 AM
My favorite part of Blood Bowl has to be fouling the ever loving heck out of players. Just played an AI Skaven team and at one point, the Skaven only had one member of the team on the field. I had KOed 7 of his players, injured three, and killed one.

I'm not quite sure how someone would play a low armor team; it just seems through attrition and injury that they'd get their best players will be injured. At worst, they won't even be able to field a complete team on the field for a drive.

This was exactly how it was playing against my own friends. Once we all realised that eliminating members of the other team was the easiest way of gaining an advantage, a new type of player called the 'Team Fouler' or the 'Cleaner' emerged - a guy that would lurk behind the line of scrimmage when your team was on the attack, and emerge when someone had been knocked over. He'd have every skill you could give him for penetrating armour values and increasing injury results, and once he had one or two he'd rack them up fast with an escalating number of casualties attributed to him.

And in the original version 3, it was possible to fudge things with skills so that a Cleaner had around a 40% chance of killing a player. After a while, we all just started to run out of players.

It didn't help that many of my friends saw this as the 'point' of Blood Bowl - it was portrayed as a ludicrously violent sport where entire teams were massacred, so damn, they were going to make it so.

When you weren't on the attack, you simply didn't use the fouler, or put him far at the back. He was too useful to die, and attracted too much hate from your opponent to be safe in a brawl. Often, the Cleaner'd be the only decently-skilled player on any veteran team.

chiasaur11
2009-09-17, 12:24 PM

Well, Kieron Gillen is fielding Skaven in a rock paper shotgun tournament, and it seems to be working for him (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/tag/the-rps-cup/).

Speed, agility, and one turn touchdowns seem to make up for a lot of defects.

potatocubed
2009-09-17, 12:33 PM

I just make sure my entire line of scrimmage is one square away from his. Only one Blitz action per turn limits the amount of damage he can do, and I'm positioned to exploit any holes he might leave in his haste to do me injury.

I'll admit, grinding up the pitch with Chaos or Undead is easier, but there's a certain satisfaction to be had in beating someone with wimpy elves.

SmartAlec
2009-09-17, 12:39 PM
I'll admit, grinding up the pitch with Chaos or Undead is easier, but there's a certain satisfaction to be had in beating someone with wimpy elves.

Going back to my friends' agressive play style, I think the idea was to force people to confront the fact that they'd lose more by playing on and winning than they would if they just quit. One blitz a turn often still resulted in 6-7 elves dead in a match, thanks to the aforementioned cleaner.

Things aren't so bad these days, thanks to the rejig of the injury table and a heavy nerf to many skills. Even 2 deaths is pretty heavy, though...

Joran
2009-09-17, 01:15 PM
The one thing I'd be worried about in playing actual humans is that they'd directly target the characters I love the most.

My +1 MV, accurate thrower and my +1 MV, stunty, dodgy, catching goblin ;_;

I'm sad though I can't grab one of the fun goblins star players with the chainsaw to hurt them before they hurt me ;)

I think in Living Rulebook 5.0, I think there are only three skills that increase your chance of hurting someone. Mighty Blow, Dirty Player, and Piling On, but I could be wrong. I remember being pretty sad that I managed to KO the Skavens 13 times but not one of them was permanently hurt.