PDA

View Full Version : Bees. My God.

FoE
2009-07-05, 08:58 PM
OH GOD, NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4MqTCIDKhU&feature=related)
-Nicholas Cage, ACTING REALLY HARD!!!

OK, so I was watching this video (http://ca.video.yahoo.com/network/100899001?v=5419604&l=5421634) about bees infesting this church in Kansas and it got me thinking about, well, bees.

It's weird how some people react to bees, myself included. I tend to run screaming like a wee baby whenever I see a bee. And yet I'm not allergic; a bee sting probably won't kill me. And I'm not afraid of many things.

I think it was because I got stung by a bee when I was a little kid, which traumatized me for life.

How do you react to bees? Do you think they're cool? Or are you like me and you run screaming like a little baby whenever you spot a bee? Am I alone in this universe, or do you too wet yourselves and run away in a screaming panic?

Pyrian
2009-07-05, 09:01 PM
I'm outdoors way too much to be scared of bees. (I was when I was a kid. Didn't help that I'd stepped on a beehive once.) Bees don't want to hurt you unless they think you're threatening their nest or their queen. (It's pointless for a bee to sting in self defense since stinging generally kills them.) So, avoid swarms and hives, sure. But those bees at the buffet line flowering bushes? You can walk right through them, they're busy gathering nectar and have no interest in you at all.

Moonshadow
2009-07-05, 09:04 PM
NOW THIS IS HOW IT STARTED, LET ME GIVE YOU A SHOW
ABOUT HOW I WAS COVERED IN BEES FROM MY HEAD TO MY TOE
AND I'D LIKE TO TAKE A MINUTE, DON'T YOU GO NOWHERE PLEASE
I'LL TELL YOU ALL ABOUT HOW I'M ****ING COVERED IN BEES

IIIIIIN SOVIET RUSSIA, BORN AND RAISED
COVERED IN BEES IS HOW I SPENT MOST OF MY DAYS
CHILLIN' OUT, MAXIN', BEING COVERED IN BEES
AND JUST PLAYING WITH MY HORNETS, SITTING ON MY KNEES

WHEN A COUPLE OF BEE FARMERS STARTED STEALING MY FUN
HAD TO SPRAY THEM DOWN WITH MY TOMMY GUN
I WAS COVERED IN BEES WHEN THE BOSS CAME NEAR AND SAID
"YOU'RE JOINING THE COBRAS, GO SIT BY THE FEAR"

I HOPPED INTO THE WIG AND WAS FEELING A BIT ILL
THERE WAS A DEAD OLD MAN AND AN ASTRONAUT AT THE WHEEL
IF ANYTHING, I COULD SAY THAT THIS **** REEKED OF CHEESE
BUT I THOUGHT "NAH, FORGET IT, I'M COVERED IN BEES!"

I - PULLED - UP TO THE BASE ABOUT SEVEN OR EIGHT
I POSED DRAMATICALLY AND I SHOUTED "GRENADE"
I LOOKED AT THE SHAGOHOD, RIGHT HERE AT MY KNEES
AND I BECAME THE PAIN, I'M ****ING COVERED IN BEES

That aside, we've had a nest of wasps invade out house before, many years back. I'm not afraid of bees either, but they do tend to annoy me a fair bit.

Neko Toast
2009-07-05, 09:05 PM
OH GOD, NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4MqTCIDKhU&feature=related)

OK, so I was watching this video (http://ca.video.yahoo.com/network/100899001?v=5419604&l=5421634) about bees infesting this church in Kansas and it got me thinking about, well, bees.

It's weird how some people react to bees, myself included. I tend to run screaming like a wee baby whenever I see a bee. And yet I'm not allergic; a bee sting probably won't kill me. And I'm not afraid of many things.

I think it was because I got stung by a bee when I was a little kid, which traumatized me for life.

How do you react to bees? Do you think they're cool? Or are you like me and you run screaming like a little baby whenever you spot a bee? Am I alone in this universe, or do you too wet yourselves and run away in a screaming panic?

Ohgawd I'm the same way.

In fact, one time during high school I was eating lunch outside in one of the courtyards with some friends, and a bee was approaching me. I backed up so fast that I didn't see the stone bench behind me, and tripped over it, landing square on my back. When I think back on it now, I realize that the fall must have looked quite comical to everyone else.

Mauve Shirt
2009-07-05, 09:07 PM
I was inserting "bees" randomly into conversations LONG BEFORE it was cool to do so. :smalltongue:
I have a jar of them.
http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii197/h0wupdohighknee/Jarofbees.png

Catch
2009-07-05, 09:08 PM
Something like this (http://bukucomics.com/loserz/go/296).

Kurien
2009-07-05, 09:09 PM
I like the fact that bees make honey and pollinate flowers.

Mystic Muse
2009-07-05, 09:15 PM
bees no. wasps, hornets and things like that yes. it doesn't hurt a ton I just don't like being stung.

Agamid
2009-07-05, 09:18 PM
Ack! Bees! My arch nemesis! They and their sickly sweet excretions make me die.

Recaiden
2009-07-05, 09:18 PM
I love bees and wasps. My favorite insects.

Reptilius
2009-07-05, 09:25 PM
I am absolutely terrified of bees, hornets, and their ilk. I actually just made myself shudder thinking about them. I'm not allergic, I've never been stung. I just don't like bees.

Also, Batman saying "Bees. My God." is my Facebook picture.

The Vorpal Tribble
2009-07-05, 09:27 PM
Bees I like. Wasps and hornets I bear little love for. I'm not allergic to any of them except for european hornets (and I know this because I've been stung by everything that buzzes in my state). I've been stung nearly a dozen times, and each time reacted a bit worse til I had to be rushed to the emergency room the last time.

I don't care what the 'professionals' say, but those things attack with no reason and beat against glass to get at you.

Raistlin1040
2009-07-05, 09:32 PM
Is this relevant to your interests? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs-tl6GBOBo)

Someone yell at me for posting on GITP without even STARTING my novel.

Gorgondantess
Bees are ok. I'm not afraid of them at all- heck, I had a hive break open and bees spill out on my arm (long story) and I just brushed them off, didn't get stung once. Bees are nice.
Wasps are ****ing scary. They lay their eggs in insects then the larvae eat them alive. Some bigger wasps lay their eggs in things like bird-eating turantulas. Wasps are ****ing scary.

Jalor
I love bees and wasps. My favorite insects.

Agreed. Bees will sacrifice themselves to defend their hive, and they can chase off a bear. Since we all know that bears are badass, that makes bees even more badass. Killer bees are like the Darker And Edgier sequel.

Not wasps though; they're sort of like the highway robbers of the insect world, with their tendency to sting without provocation.

Edit: Ninja'd twice. I love GiantITP.

Destro_Yersul
2009-07-05, 09:36 PM
Bees? Hornets? Stripy yellow insects of any kind? FLEEE! Mildly allergic, and it hurts like hell. Although I don't mind bumblebees. They are far too fuzzy and adorable to cause fear in me.

PhoeKun
2009-07-05, 09:37 PM
Is this relevant to your interests? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs-tl6GBOBo)

Someone yell at me for posting on GITP without even STARTING my novel.

I would yell at you, but I'm too busy being covered in beeeeees!

Gorgondantess
2009-07-05, 09:37 PM
Agreed. Bees will sacrifice themselves to defend their hive, and they can chase off a bear.

....Are you sure about that? A regular blackbear's skin is too thick for bees to sting it. Being the smallest breed of bears, I would assume most others would be likewise immune...:smallconfused:

Jalor
2009-07-05, 09:40 PM
....Are you sure about that? A regular blackbear's skin is too thick for bees to sting it. Being the smallest breed of bears, I would assume most others would be likewise immune...:smallconfused:

Not on its face.

Partof1
2009-07-05, 09:46 PM
I'm not realy afraid of them, at least not anymore. But I have very good muscle memory, and because I was stung when I was little, I associate them with pain, and flinch or something. Its annoying, because I was stung last fall, and now I even know their harmless. Wasps, I avoid, still, but not fearfully.

Faulty
2009-07-05, 10:15 PM

I think bees shouldn't be exploited for their honey.

Vaynor
2009-07-05, 10:16 PM
Having been stung *counts* 21 times by bees, I tend to have a significantly worse than normal reaction to them.

I don't like bees. :smallmad:

Faulty
2009-07-05, 10:22 PM
Having been stung *counts* 21 times by bees, I tend to have a significantly worse than normal reaction to them.

I don't like bees. :smallmad:

They've always said nice things about you.

bibliophile
2009-07-05, 10:41 PM

Exploited? Should the proletariat of the animal world unite?

I must respectfully disagree with this opinion. I can see how some people refuse to eat say cows, or large animals on the basis that they can feel or think in some very rudimentary sense, but bees cannot. At all. Their brain is smaller than an insects head. They have no claim to sentience, no mind at all. Even the queen does not direct the hive, contrary to popular myth.

On a completely unrelated note Aristotle thought bees were divine. Not wasps, though.

I used to be afraid of bees when I was younger, but I've gradually lost that fear, not sure why.

Trog
2009-07-05, 10:47 PM
Oh look! Over there, is that a Ferrari? *points*

*steals honey while bees are distracted*

A Rainy Knight
2009-07-05, 10:48 PM
I am terrified of bees. I'm not allergic to them or anything, but I still go run for my flyswatter and beat the everloving crap out of them if I ever see a bee in my room. Turns out it can double as a beeswatter in a pinch.

It probably doesn't help the whole 'terror' factor that they can get into my room without me figuring out how they do it. :smalltongue:

Assassin89
2009-07-05, 10:51 PM
I don't really have a fear of bees, but I am not fond of wasps. Got stung by a wasp about three days ago.

Mauve Shirt
2009-07-05, 10:56 PM
"What, you mean bees are aliens?"
"Well no - not all of them."

Jesse Drake
2009-07-05, 10:59 PM
Bees don't bother me. I let them crawl over me (When they get on my glasses, it's just awesome. They are so neat.) If you ever have a chance, sit and enjoy watching a bee. Put a small puddle of soda or something for them to lap up, and they'll go to town. Leave a piece of bread, and they'll cut it up and take off with chunks of it. Bees are the bee's knees.

That being said, for the most part of my life, I was afraid of them. I had a stupid incident where a cousin and myself smashed a bee hive with baseball bats, believing we were helping our neighbors. It didn't help.

Fridesgerte
2009-07-05, 11:02 PM
I'm not afraid of bees; in fact I once freaked out some friends by sitting and watching a bee crawl up and down my arm. I tried to explain that running around or swatting at it would make it more likely to sting, but they didn't believe me. Eventurally the bee flew away. It did tickle, though.

Yellow jackets, on the other hand...

I was in the park and bought a hot dog. I had just taken a bite and bit kind of crooked, so a little piece of hot dog was sticking up. A yellow jacket landed on the hot dog, held the little piece in its feet, chewed through the part connecting it, grabbed the bit and flew away with it.

I've never been stung by either, that I can remember.

UserClone
2009-07-05, 11:12 PM
I have a few bee stories, some more painful than others. My personal favorite, however, has got to be the one in which I was eating high school lunch at the table nearest the large plate glass wall leading out onto the patio where the seniors got to sit.

A bee had come in through the door and was harassing me. For a few minutes, I was content to just shoo it away, but when it landed on my pizza, I flipped crap on that bee and went beast mode on it. I stood up and shouted something like "God damn it, you little son of a bitch bastard!", completely forgetting that I was in a crowded lunchroom. Well, I chased it over to the plate glass wall and smacked it into the wall, where it promptly expired and dropped to the ground dead.

Suddenly, I became aware of my surroundings again when I turned back to the table to face half a lunchroom of clapping, cheering students. I gave a little bow and I ate that pizza like nobody's business.

Partof1
2009-07-05, 11:34 PM
I have a few bee stories, some more painful than others. My personal favorite, however, has got to be the one in which I was eating high school lunch at the table nearest the large plate glass wall leading out onto the patio where the seniors got to sit.

A bee had come in through the door and was harassing me. For a few minutes, I was content to just shoo it away, but when it landed on my pizza, I flipped crap on that bee and went beast mode on it. I stood up and shouted something like "God damn it, you little son of a bitch bastard!", completely forgetting that I was in a crowded lunchroom. Well, I chased it over to the plate glass wall and smacked it into the wall, where it promptly expired and dropped to the ground dead.

Suddenly, I became aware of my surroundings again when I turned back to the table to face half a lunchroom of clapping, cheering students. I gave a little bow and I ate that pizza like nobody's business.

Oh my God, that is epicly hilarious. Thank you for that moment of hilarity.

TheThan
2009-07-05, 11:37 PM
I got pushed into a bush swarming with them when I was in elementary school. I didn’t get stung or anything but it must have traumatized me, ever since I’ve been scared to death of them. I won’t go out of my way to kill them but if they come within swatting range, and I have a weapon then they are dead. If I don't then I run.

It doesn’t help that I have “sweet blood” anything that flies and stings and/or sucks blood is attracted to me, they come from miles around to get to me. I’m not the only one in my family to be like this so its not just my imagination.

[Related anecdote]

I had a high school buddy that decided to do the one of the stupidest things I have ever seen. He used to (purposefully) agitate a nest of hornets. Usually he’d escape into a creek and just chill out underwater till the hornets went away. Well one day he attempted this but instead of making it to the creek, the hornets caught him. The whole nest hit him square in the back. Stinging him through his shirt and knocking him down (from a full run). He was able to escape but the damage was done. He had several hundred stings covering the entirety of his back. Which resulted in black and blue welts about an inch in diameter. The attack laid him out for a couple of weeks; to this day I don’t know how he was able to survive without a trip to the emergency room. But then again that’s what he gets for doing something so incredibly stupid.

Cryssandra
2009-07-05, 11:40 PM
I actually like bees...
Never had a problem with em

Alteran
2009-07-05, 11:50 PM
[Related anecdote]

That...that was monumentally stupid. Wow.

I have no problems with bees, but I dislike wasps and hornets very much. When I was young I accidentally stepped in a nest, but I somehow got away with only two stings. There are also these black hornets that seem to like buzzing around the door to my backyard. We should probably get those taken care of by an exterminator sometime.

dish
2009-07-06, 12:34 AM

I read somewhere (for the second time today I can't find the reference, but I know it was somewhere) that in the Middle ages, due to the construction of hives they used then, in order to harvest the honey humans basically had to kill the entire hive of bees. That really was exploitation. Nowadays, due to modern hive construction, at least the bees don't have to give their lives, and a hive can continue for several years.

Bees are vitally important for agriculture - you remember last year when hives were mysteriously dying off and everyone was worried about how the crops would be pollinated?

Crimmy
2009-07-06, 12:42 AM
cardboard plates are excellent for batting bees.

Just sayin' ya know?

Coidzor
2009-07-06, 01:00 AM
We Are Bees. We Hate You. (http://kol.coldfront.net/thekolwiki/index.php/The_Guy_Made_Of_Bees)

I'm kinda neutral to them in general/principle. Though I find them uncomfortable to be around for their noise and their implicit threat, even the non-omnicidal variety.

The whole, wanting to kill us all, at least some of 'em sort of balances out with the we kinda need 'em thing.

...Though vegans and bees has always been the most bizarre thing to me. They're insects, they lack the capacity to suffer. They possess only cold instincts for killing and pollinating. And I guess honey-making as a subset of both.

For they make... THE BLOOD HONEY OF KHORNE. :smallfurious:

Pyrian
2009-07-06, 01:07 AM
Vegans won't eat honey, but will eat the plants pollinated by the same bees that produced that honey. :smallwink:

TheThan
2009-07-06, 01:12 AM
Vegans won't eat honey, but will eat the plants pollinated by the same bees that produced that honey. :smallwink:

strange huh

Nevrmore
2009-07-06, 01:20 AM
This needs to be said.

No one has any interesting stories about being attacked by bees, or other non-lethal but annoying animals. Ever. Anecdotes about the time you totally almost got stung while at a picnic are as about as entertaining as retellings of the dream you had last night.

This goes for everyone, including me, you, and former heavyweight champion of the world Jack Dempsey.

Alteran
2009-07-06, 01:22 AM
This needs to be said.

No one has any interesting stories about being attacked by bees, or other non-lethal but annoying animals. Ever. Anecdotes about the time you totally almost got stung while at a picnic are as about as entertaining as retellings of the dream you had last night.

This goes for everyone, including me, you, and former heavyweight champion of the world Jack Dempsey.

Uh, did you read the story that TheThan posted up there? The one about the guy who got tackled by a nest of hornets?

Trog
2009-07-06, 01:35 AM
Vegans won't eat honey
Wait, what? Really? :smallconfused: Is this a "we're not going to harm the bees by exploiting them" thing? :smallconfused:

dish
2009-07-06, 02:18 AM

Honey is an animal product as much as milk or eggs are. Vegans don't eat animal products.

Pollinated plants are not an animal product. Pollination occurs as a side-effect of bees foraging for food.

It makes sense to me.

(And Trog, in the past all the bees had to be killed in order for humans to harvest the honey. Seems like exploitation to me. Nowadays, not so much, but traditionally...)

RabbitHoleLost
2009-07-06, 02:33 AM
I... have never been stung by a bee.
[/anticlimatic]

Furthermore, since they're ferocious little creatures, or so I hear, and honey is incredibly delicious, I have to admit I really don't care if we exploit them or not.
>>

But, hey, if you can live without honey, good on you.

Ganurath
2009-07-06, 02:34 AM
I have never been stung by a bee. I attribute this to paralyzing fear. By "paralyzing," I of course mean "sprinting fueled by."

raitalin
2009-07-06, 02:35 AM
Honey is an animal product as much as milk or eggs are. Vegans don't eat animal products.

Pollinated plants are not an animal product. Pollination occurs as a side-effect of bees foraging for food.

It makes sense to me.

threadjack/

I wonder how many vegans pay attention to how their coffee or sugar is produced. Thousands of humans are exploited to produce these products.

I also enjoy pointing out to vegans which products include gelatin. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gelatin) Thought you could enjoy your Skittles guilt-free? Think again!

/threadjack

On topic, bees never really bothered me, though hornets and wasps are my least favorite insects. They just *look* ill-temperd.

dish
2009-07-06, 02:46 AM
threadjack/

I wonder how many vegans pay attention to how their coffee or sugar is produced. Thousands of humans are exploited to produce these products.[QUOTE]
You don't have to be a vegan to consider buying Fairtrade certified (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairtrade) coffee or sugar. A bit more expensive, but much less exploitation.

[QUOTE]I also enjoy pointing out to vegans which products include gelatin. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gelatin) Thought you could enjoy your Skittles guilt-free? Think again!

I know many vegetarians, let alone vegans, who refuse to touch animal products made with gelatin. They'll even insist on gelatin-free wine.

It does cause a problem when they use gelatin medicine, though.

/threadjack

Yeah, right...bees.

Icewalker
2009-07-06, 02:57 AM
I feel a little nervous when they're around, but I don't really act on it, because I know unless you end up, for example, stepping on them, they aren't going to do anything, assuming it's just a lone bee.

Don't think I've ever had a bee sting me...

ghost_warlock
2009-07-06, 03:33 AM
When I was a kid, some bees built a hive in our mailbox. Not sure how they managed it without getting disturbed, but one day I went to get the mail and...the outcome was not pleasant.

When I was in 4th grade, a hornet flying around the classroom stung me on the neck.

Generally speaking, though, I don't have any specific problems with bees. They leave me alone and I'll leave them alone.

I have a dislike of hornets and wasps. Though I usually can't be bothered to really do much about them if I see them unless they're being a real nuisance or trying to build a hive somewhere inconvenient.

Dr. Bath
2009-07-06, 03:43 AM
Bees are vitally important for agriculture - you remember last year when hives were mysteriously dying off and everyone was worried about how the crops would be pollinated?

This is still a major problem, although it is worst in the US, the lack of bees is noticable here in the UK too. It's better this year (seen quite a few bees actually, although not many bumbles...) than it has been recently, but it's still pretty bad. The monocrop system of farming in the US is really really bad for bees.

Castaras
2009-07-06, 03:54 AM
Never been stung by a bee, wasp or hornet. But they all scare me rigid (a good thing when it comes to wasps, considering freezing is better than running around panicking).

Quincunx
2009-07-06, 03:56 AM
Rotating monoculture's bad for sedentary hives. It's GREAT for migratory (with beekeeper assistance) hives. Honey season never ends!

As far as the dead hives, they're still dead and numbers are still well below the level of comfort. Weren't they replacing American honeybees with Australian ones, which weren't being walloped so hard by the mystery ailment?

ghost_warlock
2009-07-06, 04:13 AM
Regarding missing bees:

I saw a bee the other day. This is 100% more bees than I saw last year or the year before. This leads me to conclude that there is no such shortage of bees and the whole thing is all a government cover-up of a hoax. :smallwink:

Coidzor
2009-07-06, 04:58 AM
They'll even insist on gelatin-free wine.

Gelatin is the most macabre food ever, which is why it's perfect for evil warlords. :smallbiggrin: Though I didn't know gelatin was found in wine. ...Why would there gelatin in wine anyway?

Bees, just make me aware of them and slightly uncomfortable. If I see more than a half-dozen at a time, then I'm suspicious that something's going down or about to go down.

Wasps, Hornets, Yellowjackets, et al. I hate. Mostly because they're the *********** of the animal kingdom. Almost our rivals, in a way. Especially the ones which the japanese based demons off of, which sit outside a bee hive and bite the heads off of bees as they come out....

Trog
2009-07-06, 08:19 AM
(And Trog, in the past all the bees had to be killed in order for humans to harvest the honey. Seems like exploitation to me. Nowadays, not so much, but traditionally...)
Traditionally yes. But that practice ended years before the invention of the term vegan and thus well before the modern vegan movement. Interestingly, a quick wiki-search on veganism did reveal though that not all vegans shun honey and silk. Also:

The term "animal product" in a vegan context refers to any material derived from animals for human use. Notable animal products include meat, poultry, seafood, eggs, dairy products, honey, fur, leather, wool, and silk. Common animal by-products include gelatin, lanolin, rennet, whey, casein, beeswax, isinglass, and shellac.

Animal products are ingredients in countless products and are used in the production of—though not always present in the final form of—many more. Many of these ingredients are obscure, also have non-animal sources, and may not even be identified. Although some vegans attempt to avoid all these ingredients, Vegan Outreach argues that "it can be prohibitively expensive and time-consuming to shun every minor or hidden animal-derived ingredient", and therefore that doing what is "best for preventing suffering" is more important than identifying and excluding every animal ingredient.
... which seems to be a nice rational approach to such things I think. :smallsmile:
[/themoreyouknow™][/threadderailingaside]

Telonius
2009-07-06, 08:22 AM
Rotating monoculture's bad for sedentary hives. It's GREAT for migratory (with beekeeper assistance) hives. Honey season never ends!

As far as the dead hives, they're still dead and numbers are still well below the level of comfort. Weren't they replacing American honeybees with Australian ones, which weren't being walloped so hard by the mystery ailment?

Last I heard they weren't sure about whether they were going to replace them. I suspect they're moving slowly because of the bad experience with Africanized bees. I have seen quite a few more regular American honeybees this year, so hopefully that means the worst is over.

Dr. Bath
2009-07-06, 08:33 AM
Last I heard they weren't sure about whether they were going to replace them. I suspect they're moving slowly because of the bad experience with Africanized bees. I have seen quite a few more regular American honeybees this year, so hopefully that means the worst is over.

Nope. Australia have been sending large numbers of bees to the US for quite some time now. (Australia has mainly European bees now anyway)

Monocultures still aren't the best for bees. Even ones that get brought to a new source of nectar when the previous one runs out. There appears to be link between the excessive movement of bees and there being cases of Hive Abandonment Syndrome (at least, I think it's a syndrome). Although other theories state that this is a protective mechanism so that the hive doesn't get infected by disease. (the diseases have also been pinned of stress caused by moving the hives around) Really though, no one knows.

Berserk Monk
2009-07-06, 08:52 AM

I think that's impossible.

Recaiden
2009-07-06, 09:14 AM
Why do people assume that insects can't feel pain and suffering? Sure, their brains aren't as advanced, but that's a pretty basic response.

@Coidzor: I think it's usually normal honey. Unless they killed people for it.

Ascension
2009-07-06, 09:55 AM
This needs to be said.

People have written books based on their dreams. Books that have sold bundles. Same goes for books of random anecdotes, for that matter.

I think it's just a matter of taste.

Personally, I got stung by a wasp that was in my shoe when I was a wee lad. My mother put my shoes on me, I started crying, and when she took off my shoes she found the crushed wasp inside.

I've always been a little paranoid about any kind of biting/stinging insects. Wasps, bees, horseflies, fire ants, mosquitoes... They all make me VERY uneasy. Especially when they're in my car. Having a wasp in my car, when I'm alone in the car and can't really do anything about it because I've got to pay attention to the road, is about the most terrifying thing that happens to me on anything like a regular basis.

Night Monkey
2009-07-06, 09:57 AM
[crazy bel-air song with bees, followed by sudden anti-climatic injection of sane mundanity

You either need to be given an award, or shot. I cannot decide which. :smallbiggrin:

rankrath
2009-07-06, 10:00 AM
You either need to be given an award, or shot. I cannot decide which. :smallbiggrin:

Why not both? Just fire the award out of a cannon at him.

Spiryt
2009-07-06, 10:16 AM
All I can say about bees is that I worked with my Grandpa around his beehives few times, and this is kinda interesting work. Big swelling mass of insects, stepping on each other, flying in and out the hive, to do the same weird thing on and on.

It must be weird to be a bee.

Beacuse of it I was stung few times, and generally bee flying around you, buzzing loudly when you instinctively try to hide is much more irritating than the sting itself.

Mauve Shirt
2009-07-06, 10:23 AM
A what-is-your-ideal-job quiz I took in high school listed beekeeper for me, along with birthday clown and artist.

UserClone
2009-07-06, 10:39 AM
A what-is-your-ideal-job quiz I took in high school listed beekeeper for me, along with birthday clown and artist.

Clearly, you are destined for greatness.

Morty
2009-07-06, 10:55 AM
I'm not that afraid of bees now, and I weren't as a kid. Sure, I don't like being stung, but they're much less annoying than those goddamned mosquitoes. Maybe it's because my grandfather is a beekeeper and I'm at least somewhat used to them.

Trog
2009-07-06, 11:01 AM
Bee performance artist! ^(^_^)^

TheThan
2009-07-06, 11:12 AM
Why do people assume that insects can't feel pain and suffering? Sure, their brains aren't as advanced, but that's a pretty basic response.

Because they pretty much die instantly when you swat them.

Spiryt
2009-07-06, 11:18 AM

Not really true. Insects like bees and wasp are damn lively, they can still move pretty violently when stomped, or when some incident in hive made their bowels go out of abdomen.

Coidzor
2009-07-06, 11:18 AM

I believe there's been documented research which suggests quite strongly that the nervous system of insects and other arthropods is incapable of registering pain.

I was just being facetious there... (Though I think something along the lines of the Blood Swarm of Khorne would be nifty.)

CurlyKitGirl
2009-07-06, 12:06 PM
Bees.
Hate them, fear them. Even the fluffy little bumblebees. How harmless is a bee that bumbles; it sounds like a sweet kindly gentleman insect doesn't it?
YOU'RE WRONG!
I was stalked by bumbles for a week.
And hey look at that it's a bumble - AAAAH! It's not a bumble bee! RUN!!
*flees*
Gets chased by bees. And wasps. And other little yellow and black striped buzzy flying insects that are really, really loud and scary.

Plus there's this thing, it's like an Uber Bee, round here they're called buzz bombers or something. They can knock people out.
But it's not a bee.
I think.
I measured a dead one once, it was three inches long. And really thick.
*shudders*

Coidzor
2009-07-06, 12:20 PM
Gets chased by bees. And wasps. And other little yellow and black striped buzzy flying insects that are really, really loud and scary.

So you and your mom naturally exude things that make you really, really hot/floral to bees?

Interesting....:smallamused:

Never go to Japan then, since they have like... 6-inch+ demon wasps.

CurlyKitGirl
2009-07-06, 12:27 PM
So you and your mom naturally exude things that make you really, really hot/floral to bees?

That was only the once,but paranoia and general fear afterwards is more than understandable.
And I will go to Japan one day. Demon wasps be damnedblessed!

Totally Guy
2009-07-06, 12:33 PM
Are bees attracted to yellow shirts? I was always told not to wear yellow from a young age.

Alteran
2009-07-06, 12:40 PM
Are bees attracted to yellow shirts? I was always told not to wear yellow from a young age.

I was told the same thing about wasps and red, I don't know if it's true. I do know that mosquitos are attracted to blue.

Spiryt
2009-07-06, 12:52 PM

Sounds improbable. Bees generally use olfaction, and no one is sure about sight but they're said to
take on the appearance of a target with an array of lines pointing towards a dark spot in the center.

But even if it was true, what's the problem?

It would land, try to find some nectar/pollen, and failed that fly away.

UserClone
2009-07-06, 12:53 PM
Horror Show. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fTrSOFyfxs&feature=fvw)

Of course, it doesn't always work out that way. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5QxUR-mZVM&NR=1)

RabbitHoleLost
2009-07-06, 01:35 PM
Of course, it doesn't always work out that way. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5QxUR-mZVM&NR=1)

This second video has to be one of the coolest things I've ever seen.

Recaiden
2009-07-06, 01:38 PM

No, they don't. And there's some evidence that they can also.

DamnedIrishman
2009-07-06, 01:51 PM

THE INTERNET SAYS:

"Pain as WE experience it is based on our nervous system. We have special nerve cells called "nociceptors" whose sole purpose is to create the sensation of pain. Without those special cells, we wouldn't feel pain. There are, in fact, medical conditions which can selectively kill those cells - the best known is leprosy, but there are others. I personally had a mild seizure once that wiped out the connection to the nociceptors in my left leg, and to this day I cannot feel geuine pain in my left leg - I can tell when I'm being touched, and can tell how much pressure is being applied and to how small or large an area, but (for example) there is no difference for me in the feeling of being poked by a pencil versus an icepick, nor any difference in being touched by an ice cube versus a boiling hot piece of metal. Insects and other arthropods don't have any nociceptors. They can feel sensations, but PAIN is definitely NOT one of them. Their responses are therefore very different from ours. Aside from my own personal example of what it's like not to feel pain, consider this: if you gently grab an insect's leg and hold it, it will struggle violently. If you snap the leg off, it stops struggling and calmly limps away. If they felt pain, it would be the exact opposite."

Emphasis mine.

Recaiden
2009-07-06, 05:37 PM
Ok. I looked it up again and the source saying they did was one that is totally unreliable. I should have checked.

Eldan
2009-07-06, 05:58 PM
Sounds improbable. Bees generally use olfaction, and no one is sure about sight but they're said to

But even if it was true, what's the problem?

It would land, try to find some nectar/pollen, and failed that fly away.

Actually, bees also find flowers by vision. They mostly react to ultraviolet light, though.
Basically, we have three colour receptors in our eyes, green, red and blue, which define our spectrum. Bees have others that allow them to distinguish shades of ultraviolet, and instead they can't see red. (I think. It's been nearly a year since I worked at the university bee hive. Should go find all those books by von Frisch).

Moff Chumley
2009-07-06, 07:06 PM
Oh Gawds My Eyes

>.> <.<

Anuan
2009-07-06, 07:44 PM
Bumblebees are the huggliest, loveliest insects in the world. Honeybees kinda suck. To hell with hornets/wasps, man. They're cool but they are EVIL STINGING BASTARDS.

...bumblebros unite! :smallamused:

http://www.bentler.us/eastern-washington/animals/insects/bees/yellow-bumble-bee.jpg

Seriously, look at that happy little mothersmuggler.

TheThan
2009-07-06, 07:45 PM
Not really true. Insects like bees and wasp are damn lively, they can still move pretty violently when stomped, or when some incident in hive made their bowels go out of abdomen.

That's because your not swatting them aggressively enough!

Eldan
2009-07-06, 07:46 PM
Bumblebees are the huggliest, loveliest insects in the world. Honeybees kinda suck. To hell with hornets/wasps, man. They're cool but they are EVIL STINGING BASTARDS.

...bumblebros unite! :smallamused:

http://www.bentler.us/eastern-washington/animals/insects/bees/yellow-bumble-bee.jpg

Seriously, look at that happy little mothersmuggler.

No chance in cuteness against dragonflies. Let me go scan that picture...

Edit: ah, crap, I had to return that book.

This one's not bad either:

http://www.fotos.sc/img2/u/ralph/n/Libelle_Kleinlibelle_Makro_Natur_Wildlife.jpg

Verruckt
2009-07-06, 09:24 PM
Mandatory .gif is mandatory

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w22/Jerisalem/MYASS.gif

Moonshadow
2009-07-06, 09:58 PM

I would assume your mother passed down some fragments of HONEY DNA -dun dun duuuuuun-