PDA

View Full Version : Deep-66 Homerules [SAGA]

AstralFire
2009-07-06, 11:26 AM
Various feats and adjustments we've made.

The official Saga Errata can be found here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=starwars/article/sagaederrata); our rules build off of them where not mentioned to conflict.

http://www.theanteheroes.com/SWSE/StarWarsDeep66Logo.jpg

Items:
Glitterstim: A potent variety of "spice" mined on Kessel, from the webs of spice spiders. Glitterstim is photoactive, so it is wrapped in opaque plastics until the user wishes to ingest. As an exotic spice tightly controlled by the virtually all eras of galactic government - for reasons ranging from the productivity or health of users to the inhumane conditions in which it is mined - Glitterstim requires a license to obtain legally, and has a rating of 'Illegal'.

Glitterstim is a poison. Make an attack roll (1d20+15) against the target's Fortitude Defense, with a +2 bonus on the attack roll for every additional gram after the first. A successful attack gives the target a persistent -1 step on the condition track, along with the following effects.

A normal dosage temporarily denatures some of the protective coating in the brain and nervous system of most creatures. There is a 20% chance when ingesting Glitterstim that you gain temporary, minor telepathy. This chance is rolled secretly by the DM, and whether or not you succeed, your character believes they have and receives misinformation in accordance with their own tendencies and beliefs, as well as pleasurable synesthesia effects. Immunity to mind-affecting abilities also renders you immune to the misinformation and synesthesia effects.

If you receive telepathy, you are able to read the surface thoughts of all targets within 12 meters of you as an automatic and persistent effect for the duration. You automatically succeed on your attempt normally, but a targeted creature can attempt to shield its thoughts from you if it suspects that you are trying to read its mind. In that case, make an Intelligence roll against the target's Will Defense.

Frequent long-term usage can cause blindness or nerve degradation; a habitual user (at least five grams a week) has a 2% chance a week of getting a more severe condition, as determined by the GM. Glitterstim costs 20 credits a gram.

Ryll: A weak, but common and pleasurable spice from the Twi'lek homeworld of Ryloth. When ingested, the target moves -1 step on the condition track as a persistent condition; this condition fades on its own after a half-hour. The basis of many medicines, Ryll requires licensing to legally own. An average dosage for recreational purposes is 1 gram, which costs 1 credit before standard licensing fees.

Glitteryll: A synthesis of glitterstim and ryll, created by feeding ryll to the spice spiders that produce glitterstim. Glitteryll is a poison, and unlike its parent drugs, has no pleasurable effects; make an attack roll (1d20+8) against the target's Fortitude Defense, with a +2 bonus on the attack roll for every additional gram after the first. The target suffers from retrograde amnesia for the last 1d6 days, blanking them from their mind. The amnesia normally fades when the poison is detoxified, but persistent daily usage can extend the reach of the amnesia to months and become more difficult to clear.

A target suffering from persistent usage only recovers the memory of the most recent 1d6 days lost to them when detoxified. However, when brought into circumstances of emotional duress, or that are strongly evocative of an important portion of the lost memories, the target can spend a Force Point to throw off the amnesia. In even more extreme circumstances, a Destiny Point may be required.

Glitteryll is highly illegal and requires the highest level of licensing to possess legitimately. It has no cost due to its rarity, as spice spiders are difficult to cultivate to begin with, even moreso due to the huge growth they experience when fed ryll; a player looking to purchase some may expect to spend upwards of a thousand credits at times for a gram, but it should not be made readily available for purchase, even on the black market. It is recommended that players not be allowed possession of more than a few grams, even when they are allowed to purchase it.

Stimpacks: A small plast-wrapped tube of steroids and hormones, Stimpacks contain everything necessary for a trained medical professional to give a patient a sudden boost of energy or physical competence. A stimpack costs 1 credit and has negligible mass.

Stimkit: A fist-sized box full of compressed stimulants. Stimkits function as a nearly endless supply of Stimpacks for your average medical professional, and will not run out in average gameplay. A Stimkit costs 200 credits and has a mass of 0.5 kg.

Skills:
Treat Injury:New Usage: Stimboost. (Trained Only; Requires a Medpac and Stims)
As a standard action, you can administer steroids to a target. If you succeed on a DC 25 Treat Injury check, the creature regains a number of hit points equal to its character level. Additionally, the creature gains a +1 bonus to its attack rolls for the rest of the encounter, though it moves one step down the condition track after the end of the encounter. A creature can only receive one attempted stimboost an hour safely. Additional stimboosts impose a -5 penalty to the treat injury check.
Failure: If you fail the DC by 5 or more, the target is poisoned by the stimboost and does not gain its benefits; worst of all, it does not want sex for 3d6 (wrong game, sorry) it is afflicted with a persistent condition that drops it one step along the condition track. The poison can be removed by a DC 25 Treat Injury check to remove poison.

Use the Force: When a Force Power is directed against someone's defenses, use the following rules for resolving attack damage:
Heroic Level + Charisma Modifier + 1 (if Trained) + 1 (If Focused).

Roll use the force anyway for purposes of deflecting the ability with Rebuke.
Things to note: Force Powers are still not valid subjects of abilities like Shatterpoint and Battle Strike.

Force Powers:
Fold Space: As before, but cannot target attended objects.

Force Lightning [Dark Side]:Time: Standard action.
Targets: One target in line of sight and within 6 squares of you.
Damage done is variant based on level, rather than a fixed amount. You must meet the target's Reflex Defense to successfully use this power; failure deals half damage and no secondary effects. Skill Focus (Use the Force) treats you as four levels higher on the below table.

Level 0: 2d8 damage and the target moves -1 step along the condition track.
Level 4: 3d8 damage.
Level 8: 4d8 damage.
Level 12: 5d8 damage.
Level 16: 6d8 damage.
Level 20: 7d8 damage.
Level 24: 8d8 damage.

Special: If you spend a Force Point to activate this power, it deals Stun Damage rather than Lethal Damage, but it will not automatically move the target -1 step along the condition track. As with all stun damage, however, if it beats the target's damage threshold it will move the target two steps down the condition track. This power remains dark side even with this usage, due to its painful nature.

Force Thrust [Telekinetic]:
Time: Swift Action
Targets: One Small or smaller object or character within 12 squares and also line of sight.
Make a Force Attack Roll. If you beat the target's Fortitude Defense, you push it up to 1 square in any direction and deal damage equal to one-half your heroic level. Skill Focus (Use the Force) treats you as four levels higher for purposes of all level-based effects, including damage (+2).

Level 0: No additional effects.
Level 4: Affect targets up to Medium size.
Level 8: Push the target up to 2 squares in any direction.
Level 12: Affect targets up to Large size.
Level 16: Push the target up to 3 squares in any direction.
Level 20: Affect targets up to Huge size.
Level 24: Push the target up to 4 squares in any direction.

Special: Spending a Force Point to activate this power causes a success to knock the target prone in addition to its usual effect, and on a failure it still moves the target (though it deals no damage).

Levitate [Telekinetic]: As the power in The Clone Wars sourcebook, with the following change:
Special: Spending a Force Point to activate this power allows you to fly in any direction for its duration.

Move Object [Telekinetic]:Damage and Size from Move Object is determined by heroic level, not by result, with the usual allowances for Force Points and Destiny Points and Unleashed feat. Skill Focus (Use the Force) treats you as four levels higher on the below table.

Level 0: 1d6 damage, Medium Size
Level 4: 2d6 damage, Medium Size
Level 8: 4d6 damage, Large Size
Level 12: 6d6 damage, Huge Size
Level 16: 8d6 damage, Gargantuan Size
Level 20: 10d6 damage, Colossal Size
Level 24: 12d6 damage, Colossal+ Size

Talents:
STIFLE CONFLICT (Existing talent): Disallowed.

MEDICAL MIRACLE (Existing Advanced Medicine talent): In addition to its previous effects, this ability can be performed as part of another Treat Injury check. The target is still limited on the number of Second Winds they can perform per encounter.

ADRENAL FORTITUDE (New Advanced Medicine talent): When you successfully administer a stimboost, the target gains a bonus to its Damage Threshold equal to 1 + your Int modifier for the duration of the encounter, and recovers two steps along the condition track. You may only have one type of steroid injection per stimboost. Using this ability imposes a -5 penalty on your Treat Injury check for the stimboost usage.

ADRENAL ALACRITY (New Advanced Medicine talent): When you successfully administer a stimboost, the target can make one additional swift action a round for the duration of the encounter, or may use a force point and move down one step on the condition track to perform an extra standard action that round. You may only have one type of steroid injection per stimboost. Using this ability imposes a -5 penalty on your Treat Injury check for the stimboost usage.

Techniques:
IMPROVED FORCE THRUST (New Force Technique): Add your Charisma modifier to the damage done by this ability.

Secrets: Naughty Secrets
IMPROVED STIMBOOST (New Medical Secret): When you successfully perform a stimboost with the Treat Injury skill, you grant the target a temporary Second Wind. This Second Wind must be used before the end of the encounter, or it is lost. The target is still limited on the number of Second Winds they can perform per encounter.

RAPID INJECTION (New Medical Secret): You may perform a stimboost as a swift action. You may use a Force Point to perform it as a free action, instead.

Mando Knight
2009-07-06, 09:44 PM
I would make Force Flight a power rather than a talent. Standard or Move action to activate, Move to sustain.

I like the idea of the stimboosts, though. Core SAGA lacks sufficient means to heal the characters in between battles, so certain mission types were a bit too dangerous, IMO.

AstralFire
2009-07-06, 10:06 PM
Thanks for the input. n_n Was worried I'd never get a response!

I felt it fit the talent model better because it's a rarely used trick, but when used, it's constantly and fluidly. Making it a power makes it more widely accessible, like Cloak and Phase, which were mistakes I think.

The stimboosts arose from a long discussion I had with another player where I came away feeling Treat Injury was mostly alright as it stood, but that the Medic was sorely and woefully wrong as a PC class. I worry some of the effects are too strong, though.

Mando Knight
2009-07-06, 10:55 PM
They could be. I don't have a game going where I could test them out, though.

If they do turn out to be too good, I'd make it so that the stimboosts (maybe each one after the first?) cause a persistent drop in condition (i.e. they last until you get 8 hours of uninterrupted rest). You can eat one or two points of persistent condition drop and keep fighting, but 3 or more can easily disable the character. A non-persistent drop only takes 3 consecutive swift actions (less with a certain feat/talent, can't be bothered to look it up) to recover, which is nothing outside of an encounter.

I would look back at KotOR's adrenal stuff. I never used them much because I hoard everything other than medpacks, but they were kinda handy. Perhaps have weaker variations that can be used by anyone? (Same should go for medpacks. *glares at medpack*)

AstralFire
2009-07-10, 08:33 PM
Rules for Force Lightning, Glitterstim, Ryll, and Glitteryll up now. Reworked Force Thrust as well - I feel that should give Jedi 'gishes' a fair amount of room to work between Noble Fencing Style, Shatterpoint, and Force Thrust. I won't ultimately be using it because we already have two frontliner Jedi in the party and I want us to differentiate as much as possible... something I can do with a clear conscience with a not-insanely-broken Force Lightning power.