PDA

View Full Version : The best BF story thread

Saknussem
2009-07-06, 06:15 PM
Okay, this is for gamers. We have all met them, BFers. Buddy F**kers. That's right. The guy who knowingly or obliviously BFs his friends/party members/etc.

This thread is to pay homage to that person and you do it in the story you tell. The two I have to share are:

1. A friend planned out a massive dungeon for a single weekend game. Three days (they were on liberty from the US Merchant Marine Academy and came to visit me and my brother at our mom's house while we were attending a non-service university) of pure AD&D (yes this goes back to then) pizza soda beer etc, gamer heaven right? Well, Mike was the DM. And he was one of the best: quick witted, methodical, knew the rules but didn't use them like a bludgeon nor was he chained to them. Anyhow, Bob, Kent, Chris, and I were the players. We were good as a team. We liked each other, played complimentary classes, and knew what the other player would do almost before he did it. A really excellent team. We also went by that most ancient rule in gaming... "In the event of an imminent combat situation wherein the players are either outnumbered or outpowered, ALWAYS bring the GM a cold beer." I know this is long, sorry, the next one is really short to make up for it.
Anyhow, we slog through the dungeon over the course of about 50 real hours. Monsters, traps, riddles, puzzles, puzzles, riddles, traps, and monsters. We dealt with it all. At the end, in the necropolis, we were to face THE LICH (along the order of the lich in the OOTS strips) when Mike the Most Methodical Master announces, "Sorry guys, I seem to have left the lich back at the academy. I will just give you the loot. Sorry, would have been a fun fight." We were disappointed, but relieved. After the brutal dungeon we had just crawled, we were a little leery of meeting Mike's lich. And we were gonna get the LOOT!! Then it happened. Bob happened. Bob looks up, says, "Hey, don't worry; I have a lich here in my game bag. I was making up monsters for fun last week, and made this one. He is a real badass." BFed.

Example #2
2. "LOOK! A BASILISK!"

Kurald Galain
2009-07-06, 06:23 PM
Hm, how about this. Years back, when I was DM'ing, after quite a bit of adventuring the PCs got ahold of a treasure map they'd been looking for. That night, two of the PCs decided that splitting a treasure with two people gives them more cash than splitting it with five. So they took the map and ran off together, also taking all the food rations of their comrades so that the others had to go back to town to buy supplies.

Of course it didn't end there, the other three went in hot pursuit and eventually caught up. Nevertheless...

evisiron
2009-07-06, 06:31 PM
The best "screw the party" moments I have seen have been in a drow campaign. Basically, Player 1 was one of the only ones playing the drow perfectly.
One character loudly boasts that he will kill P1 in front of a crowd to display his strength. P1 poisons him and slits his throat during his next watch, sneaks off to avoid party retribution. New character...

The new P1 apparently had some background with a dragon. Party met said dragon, who threatened to slaughter them unless they offer up P1. Meanwhile, P1 grabs a sack of loot, and sneaks into the darkness, leaving the party (who were about to offer him up) with less loot and a very pissed off dragon. :smallsmile:

FinalJustice
2009-07-06, 08:00 PM
Not the best, but in the spirit.

The group is fighting a hardass green dragon, inside a cave. Our only spellcaster is the frickin' bard. Which is dropped first. My fighter is dealing good damage, and between highish AC, high reflexes and Elusive Target, toughin' out the Dragon's attacks. It drops the other fighter, but my character finally lands the killing blow.

Huge escape from the falling down cave. One of my 'friends' yells 'you should roll a chance for a boulder crushing him'. After a chance and a 2 on a reflex saves, my heroic survival turns into a disastrous boulder crushed death... Fun, isn't it?

Froogleyboy
2009-07-06, 08:16 PM
Well, in one game a player actually "screwed" another party member.

Lycanthromancer
2009-07-06, 08:22 PM
Well, in one game a player actually "screwed" another party member.

BFFs?

Also, the DM had a clan of ogres arse-rape my little baby gold dragon.

And he wondered why the little thing took a level of ranger and Favored Enemy: Giants.

Froogleyboy
2009-07-06, 08:57 PM
Bu. . . But . . . WHY THE HELL!?!?!

evil-frosty
2009-07-06, 09:08 PM
I think it is better not to question about that.

Piedmon_Sama
2009-07-06, 09:31 PM
One time, my campaign's party is facing a kill-team of Urskan warriors (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/fb_gallery/83579.jpg) while traveling in open field-country. Spying the large monsters coming from a league off, the party left their baggage train behind and advanced with an 8th level monk and cleric in the lead.

While the Cleric engages one of the monsters in melee, the Monk uses her spring attack to dart in, pummel, and withdraw from another. In short order, the Cleric brings down his enemy, while the monk is still fighting hers. The Cleric then moves to charge the bear fighting the monk. The monk's player then asked me if he could interrupt the Cleric's charge (who's path went right past his square) with a trip check and try to send the heavily armored man flying at the bear. Well, this was an easy encounter as it was and I thought it was funny, so I said sure.

Sure enough, the monk imposes herself in front of the hapless Cleric, trips him over her shoulder and easily tosses him right into the monster he'd been charging. He plows into it, and man and beast go head over heels together. I don't remember if the ad-hoc ruling I made was grapple check or reflex save, but the Cleric ended up pinned by 1,200 lb. of bear which was K.O'd by his impact. It was one of the less dignified moments in the Glorious Tale of Alphonse Arcanus, Hero of the Empire. XD

Yukitsu
2009-07-06, 09:50 PM
*Best pikey accent*

"What, ya mean prapa f***ed?"

Ahem. Usually, in our group, people that actively try to player kill get hoisted by their own petard as the collective survives, regroups, and procedes to turn them into worm food

The Gilded Duke
2009-07-06, 10:38 PM
It was an evil game. Everyone knew the rogue was going to betray us. So I had my Ur priest gather everyone in a circle to do a profane ritual before the day's slaughter.

A ritual where we all held hands.

The rogue was to my character's right.

I cast harm.

The Anti-Paladin next to him then grappled to finally kill him.

We then made the rogue into an undead so that if he tried to kill us we would be able to rebuke him.

yilduz
2009-07-07, 07:29 AM
Not the best, but in the spirit.

The group is fighting a hardass green dragon, inside a cave. Our only spellcaster is the frickin' bard. Which is dropped first. My fighter is dealing good damage, and between highish AC, high reflexes and Elusive Target, toughin' out the Dragon's attacks. It drops the other fighter, but my character finally lands the killing blow.

Huge escape from the falling down cave. One of my 'friends' yells 'you should roll a chance for a boulder crushing him'. After a chance and a 2 on a reflex saves, my heroic survival turns into a disastrous boulder crushed death... Fun, isn't it?

This is the best example so far of being BF'd. That's horrible.

PrGo
2009-07-07, 07:52 AM
It was an evil game. Everyone knew the rogue was going to betray us. So I had my Ur priest gather everyone in a circle to do a profane ritual before the day's slaughter.

A ritual where we all held hands.

The rogue was to my character's right.

I cast harm.

The Anti-Paladin next to him then grappled to finally kill him.

We then made the rogue into an undead so that if he tried to kill us we would be able to rebuke him.

Hahaha! That is so awesome :smallbiggrin:

We have a player in our group that often threatens to kill the rest of the party just because he can (kind of a munchkin optimizer type) although he doesn't do it. Much.
From time to time, he and his brother kill each other and then we have to start over again or pretend that didn't happen. Which is a real pain after you get to like your character.

Rhiannon87
2009-07-07, 07:53 AM
I actually was the BF'er once... not too badly, thankfully.

So we'd just killed a colossal monstrous centipede (something we had only fought because the DM longed to make us fight something of colossal size). The party fighter had gotten hit with poison during the fight, but despite a low DEX, was still up. I was NPC'ing the party cleric, as his player was absent, and had him cast a few lesser restorations to heal the fighter. Then my character, a spy who loves her poisons, rolls a craft (poisonmaking) check to get some doses of high-DC 2d6 DEX damage poison from the centipede. I succeed, and the DM tells me how it works. I ask if there's secondary damage.

The DM pauses, looks at the fighter's player, and goes "Yeah. There is. [Fighter], roll another fort save."

She failed it, and took another 2d6 DEX damage. >.< Cleric healed her up again, with much apologizing on my part. On the upside, I now have 5 doses of colossal centipede poison to use on my enemies.

Random832
2009-07-07, 09:40 AM

So how exactly did you know he was going to betray you? If it was metagaming of any sort, my next words as DM would (after an evil grin) be to apply the same rules that don't allow diplomacy or bluff against PCs. Where's a positive energy cleric when you need one?

If it wasn't, then I might consider waiting for the rogue's player to bring it up.

(If I was the player, I'd roll a new character the first time you did it)

Kurald Galain
2009-07-07, 09:44 AM
So how exactly did you know he was going to betray you?

Because you've just betrayed him, and it would be a normal assumption for a suitably evil (or paranoid) character that a betrayed party would seek revenge.

Panda-s1
2009-07-07, 07:41 PM
There was this one time in The Red Hand of Doom where we went up against the first hobgoblin outpost thing, and my ranger and his wolf charged into the fort and were about to fight the minotaur. A few other melee characters were also in the fort, when suddenly the druid casts entangle all over the fort. And we had a nice elaborate plan on how we were gonna do this. He never told us why he did it, and I kicked the minotaur's ass in any case, but it still set us all back a few rounds. Did I mention he was a bit of a glory hog, who then bribed the manticore with a huge sum of the party's money?

The Gilded Duke
2009-07-07, 09:13 PM
It was a long time ago, but I think he tried to conspire with another party member against me and the Anti-Paladin, but the other party member told us about it first.

Silentlee
2009-07-07, 09:28 PM
First party i ever played in..

Cleric only healed the fighter......we were 6 in all....cleric loved to kiss butt to the fighter..who was the DMs son....

short sweet....to the point

Assassin89
2009-07-07, 10:03 PM
I remember a LE goblin fighter and a LE human sorcerer who threw the LG warforged healer down a well. I, as a CG(written)/NG(based on acts) human cleric then asked to be thrown down the well in order to heal the warforged. The DM actually made comments about BFFs in regards to the goblin and sorcerer.