PDA

View Full Version : Need 3.5e Villain [4e]

Parvum
2009-07-07, 01:09 AM
I'm running a fourth edition campaign, and at some point I'd like to feature a villain (either minor or major) who is a leftover of 3.5 rules and functions, wishing to return the world to 3.5e. Unfortunately... I have little to no idea of how I would make 4e rules and abilities emulate 3.5e rules and abilities. Can you see a way to make this work?

Elfin
2009-07-07, 01:25 AM
I'm definitely rooting for the villain.
No idea about the rules though; the systems seem pretty incompatible.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-07-07, 06:41 AM
Don't try this. The 3.5 character will be a glass cannon compared to 4e characters: without a huge Con bonus it'll fall quickly, but 3.5 damage is astronomic compared to 4e damage (fireball for 10d6 at level 10...what in 4e gets close)? That's assuming you can overcome the system differences, which, while possible, is a lot of work.

There may be a sweet spot (I'd guess around level 5 for 3.5, and maybe level 3-5 for 4e), but that's just guesswork. I wouldn't even consider this.

Rigon
2009-07-07, 07:20 AM
roll up a PC wizard in 4e (elf, gnome or human).
make it solo (yeah i know, sounds broken).
all his spells do 150% damage (increase dice)Empower Spell
all his spells are ranged, blast or melee 1 (or modify them to be that)
rename the spells according to 3.5 and rewrite the fluff about them (no change in numbers or effects)
explain illogical effects ("3.5 Weird" doing "4e Sleep" effect) and overall overpoweredness with the fact that he is an interversional traveler (lost but still a traveler).

motivation: thinks that his old version would "back up" after destroying this new one.

EDIT: In the first 2 turn you could make the wizard cast spell according to their names... and after being attuned to the new version he would use them according to their effect (so 1st and 2nd turn random stupidity, and after the 3rd turn awesome confusingness).

Ninetail
2009-07-07, 09:37 PM
I'm running a fourth edition campaign, and at some point I'd like to feature a villain (either minor or major) who is a leftover of 3.5 rules and functions, wishing to return the world to 3.5e. Unfortunately... I have little to no idea of how I would make 4e rules and abilities emulate 3.5e rules and abilities. Can you see a way to make this work?

Depends on what you want to emulate. Monster summoning is rather easy. Level drain or ability damage, not so much.