PDA

View Full Version : Dagger of Screams

Lysander
2009-07-07, 02:35 PM
An evil little weapon that could be useful for a character that relies on infiltration. It's also good at preventing a resurrected spellcaster from having their old powers.

Dagger of Screams
The dagger of screams steals the voice of anyone it kills. At will the bearer can assume the voice, language, accent, and mannerism of any of the dagger's victims - perfectly copying everything down to choice of slang, stutters, and other unique quirks. It doesn't alter the bearer's appearance, but can be used in conjunction with disguises and illusions.
Sense Motive checks still apply to anything unusual said, and to the bearer's behavior if they must hide from view, but reactions will vary depending on their relationship to the copied victim.

If using the voice of someone who speaks a different language it will translate whatever you say into that language, but doesn't allow the bearer to understand that language when spoken by others. You can use any language a victim knows. The dagger cannot copy extraordinary or supernatural sonic abilities, nor musical skill, though a bearer can still sing in a victim's voice with their own Perform check.

The dagger doesn't merely copy the voice, it steals it. If a victim of the dagger is resurrected they will be mute until the dagger is destroyed. There is no limit to how many different voices the dagger can hold. If the bearer doesn't know who the dagger has killed, random experimentation can eventually reveal all the voices.

Iferus
2009-07-07, 02:59 PM
Sounds nice! But what about the statistics? I'm interested in price, crafting and such things :)

Cieyrin
2009-07-08, 12:12 PM
Sounds to me like it would utilize the ventriloquism spell as a prerequisite, to mimic the voice. Possibly bestow curse as well for the permanent removal of their voice from those slain. I'd almost venture to make the weapon a +1 thundering dagger, in which the thundering is a mixture of the voices stolen, though that might be a detriment, so perhaps making it sonic (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/magweapdesc.pl?Sonic^mweapontype) would be a better choice.

Them's my 2 coppers. Take as you will.

Lysander
2009-07-08, 03:28 PM
Sounds to me like it would utilize the ventriloquism spell as a prerequisite, to mimic the voice. Possibly bestow curse as well for the permanent removal of their voice from those slain. I'd almost venture to make the weapon a +1 thundering dagger, in which the thundering is a mixture of the voices stolen, though that might be a detriment, so perhaps making it sonic (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/magweapdesc.pl?Sonic^mweapontype) would be a better choice.

Them's my 2 coppers. Take as you will.

I definitely agree with the prerequisites, though Magic Jar might be as appropriate as Bestow Curse. The dagger I think shouldn't do any extra damage beyond being a +1 magic weapon.