PDA

View Full Version : Question about the Duom

Zefren
2009-07-07, 05:11 PM
Hello everyone, I've recently started a mercenary type campaign and one of my players wants to play a ranger using a Duom.
The build she is aiming for is:

Lvl 1 - Exotic wpn prof: Duom, and something else I don't remember...

Lvl 2 - Two Weapon Fighting (ranger bonus feat)

Lvl 3 - Haft Strike (from a Dragon magazine I think); which allows the wielder to make off-hand attacks with the polearm butt (1d6+STR)

Lvl 6 - Improved Two Weapon Fighting

Now for those who don't know what the Duom does, it's a reach weapon but it has 2 blades along the haft to allow the wielder to attack adjacent enemies as well.

She came up with the build with her boyfriend who is also a player and they think that at lvl 6 they can get 6 attacks with this weapon, 2 with the main spear blade, 2 off-hand attacks with the butt and 2 with the reverse blades.

Any thoughts about this? I'm finding it overpowered, although the reverse blades attack are at -2.

arguskos
2009-07-07, 05:26 PM
Hello everyone, I've recently started a mercenary type campaign and one of my players wants to play a ranger using a Duom.
The build she is aiming for is:

Lvl 1 - Exotic wpn prof: Duom, and something else I don't remember...

Lvl 2 - Two Weapon Fighting (ranger bonus feat)

Lvl 3 - Haft Strike (from a Dragon magazine I think); which allows the wielder to make off-hand attacks with the polearm butt (1d6+STR)

Lvl 6 - Improved Two Weapon Fighting

Now for those who don't know what the Duom does, it's a reach weapon but it has 2 blades along the haft to allow the wielder to attack adjacent enemies as well.

She came up with the build with her boyfriend who is also a player and they think that at lvl 6 they can get 6 attacks with this weapon, 2 with the main spear blade, 2 off-hand attacks with the butt and 2 with the reverse blades.

Any thoughts about this? I'm finding it overpowered, although the reverse blades attack are at -2.
They are misunderstanding how the Duom works. The reverse attacks are NOT additional attacks, but a replacement for the normal. So, they can do this:

2 main blade -or- 2 reverse -or- 1 each
and
2 Short Haft

This gives a total of four hits, not six.

As for if the Duom is overpowered, hell no. It's a damn fine weapon, fun and flavorful as you please, but not overpowered, not in the least.

Zefren
2009-07-07, 05:31 PM
I was thinking the same, you can either attack with the spear head or the reverse blades.
Thanks for clarifying that for me :smallsmile:
And yes with 4 attacks it's not overpowered it's a very good and adaptable weapon.

Faleldir
2009-07-07, 05:36 PM
Isn't the duom a martial weapon?

arguskos
2009-07-07, 06:05 PM
Isn't the duom a martial weapon?
The latest printing, in Dragon Compendium, does mark it as a Martial Weapon. Great catch there Faleldir. Most likely, people don't know because DC is a rare book.

@OP: You can tell your player to lose the Exotic Weapon Proficiency. :smallbiggrin:

Lastly, great that he's using the duom. It's one of my favorite weapons, and doesn't get nearly enough love.