PDA

View Full Version : The Yuuzhan Vong Vs. Metroid

Leliel
2009-07-07, 07:46 PM
Since I appear to have started a meme, I decided to put Metroid up againist the best Star Wars villains of all time-in my opinion-the Yuuzhan Vong.

Why are the Space Pirates working with the Federation? Beacuse they're fond of living.

So, the arena is the galaxy in the Metroid games post-Prime pre-Super Metroid, with Zebes and the Metroid Homeworld (can't spell it, sorry) intact. I decided to leave out Phazon beacuse the Vong would likley decide that the stuff is sacred (it turns inorganic compounds into living ones, remember), and that would give them an unfair(er) advantage.

Samus has all of her upgrades-minus Hypermode, of course-intact, mainly beacuse she will need them.

So, who do you think will win?

Mando Knight
2009-07-07, 08:02 PM
As soon as the Vong land on Zebes or SR388, they're doomed, since they never (IIRC) use any weapons based on the Metroid's single weakness.

Pirates working with the Federation? This means that we have a Samus Riding Ridley, Leading A Horde Of Metroids Into Battle situation. Since Ridley, Samus, and the Metroids don't depend on the Force, they've got an inherent advantage over the GFFA's attempt, since their superweapon beings aren't immediately negated by the Vongs' absence in the Force.

Reverent-One
2009-07-07, 08:16 PM
Pirates working with the Federation? This means that we have a Samus Riding Ridley, Leading A Horde Of Metroids Into Battle situation. Since Ridley, Samus, and the Metroids don't depend on the Force, they've got an inherent advantage over the GFFA's attempt, since their superweapon beings aren't immediately negated by the Vongs' absence in the Force.

But if they can't figure out a way to get past the Vongs' black hole shields, they're in trouble.

Mando Knight
2009-07-07, 09:11 PM
The black-hole shields aren't used in ground combat, which is the only part of the Metroid 'verse that's explored extensively enough to compare units.

Fan
2009-07-07, 09:22 PM
Even still, once the Yuuzhan Vong figure out they cant win on the ground, they start orbital bombardments after mopping up the Metroid forces. I mean seriously, they go toe to toe with STAR DESTROYERS, who's laser energy output is 200 gigatons PER SHOT, I'm not acquainted with metroid, but when you have 20 of those focused on you in addition to other capital ship weapons... You haven't got a chance.

chiasaur11
2009-07-07, 09:24 PM
Even still, once the Yuuzhan Vong figure out they cant win on the ground, they start orbital bombardments after mopping up the Metroid forces. I mean seriously, they go toe to toe with STAR DESTROYERS, who's laser energy output is 200 gigatons PER SHOT, I'm not acquainted with metroid, but when you have 20 of those focused on you in addition to other capital ship weapons... You haven't got a chance.

Once they find out they can't win on the ground, Momma Aran's girl has their best tech in convenient battlesuit mounted form.

Reverent-One
2009-07-07, 09:28 PM
The black-hole shields aren't used in ground combat, which is the only part of the Metroid 'verse that's explored extensively enough to compare units.

Not (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Thrall_herder) quite (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Rakamat). And then throw in coralskippers on strafing runs. And biological warfare. And pulling the planet's moon down on it. Granted the last three aren't actually ground combat units.

Mando Knight
2009-07-07, 09:29 PM
Once they find out they can't win on the ground, Momma Aran's girl has their best tech in convenient battlesuit mounted form.

Which happens to conveniently be only around two hours after Samus decides to help kill things on the ground. Give Sammy two to three hours on an alien planet, and everything on that planet that doesn't like her is going to have to get on its knees and beg for forgiveness.

AstralFire
2009-07-07, 09:29 PM
The Vong are fairly good at adapting to their opponents. See: Voxyn.

Thane of Fife
2009-07-07, 09:30 PM
Do recall that, as per MP3, Space Pirates have shields that can protect entire planets from ships in orbit.

Fan
2009-07-07, 09:32 PM
Do recall that, as per MP3, Space Pirates have shields that can protect entire planets from ships in orbit.

The Yuuzhan Vong's BASIC star ships have anti ship devices that can merely disable them. The same devices can also create minature black holes.

TheLogman
2009-07-07, 09:57 PM
The inherent problem here is that although we know quite a bit about both side's ground forces, but next to nothing about the Metroid universe's air units and space-side combat.

But here's the thing. Samus and Ridley have a huge advantage when working together, on land or in space. Metroids spread like a disease.

If Samus, Ridley, or a group of Metroids are placed inside a vehicle, ship, or planet, the thing explodes.

As for the Metroid weakness problem, the few metroids in Prime 2 seemed to be at least partially weak to the dark weapons and the black hole weapon, which I assume is similar to the ones these Yuuzhan Vong employ.

But the Metroid universe's attack plan is going to be as follows:

1. On ground, send Feds, Pirates, Ridley, Kraid, and every other boss they can find at the enemy forces. Samus is Brilliant at ground combat, but isn't going to be used against basic units, the Fed and Pirate jetpack and standard units can take care of that easy. Metroids are deployed against fortified enemies, Ridley attacks any sky units. Samus excels when against really big stuff, so when the big tanks and monster units come in, that when Samus is deployed. The Shinespark can rip a hole in a Tank, the Black Hole Bomb from Prime 2 can suck up dozens of smaller units, and the Sonic Boom could probably take out anything else short of a "boss", which would take time and coordination, but would be doable.

2. In space, the Feds have the best chances turning the situation into a ground battle. Samus can Shinespark a hole through a cruiser, and then board it, or send in Metroids. Ridley could crush the aft part of a mid-sized ship to let in Pirates, Feds, and Metroids. Worst case scenario, they crash ships into the Vong ships and then board from there.

3. Especially on the home world, the Space Pirates have a ton of anti-air and anti-orbital weapons. Most orbital nukes/strikes are best dealt with the same way the Leviathan seed was dealt with, a massive laser strike that incinerates the entire thing, leaving nothing. With that kind of defense on a minor colony world, imagine what is on the major planets.

EDIT: I'm not sure how much Chozo tech is available, but keep in mind that that tiny energy shield that protected the second boss in Prime 3 had to be taken out by a Thermonuclear bomb the size of a small house, and even then it was kinda close. So if Chozo shielding is employed, or even that stuff the Space Pirates used that had to be taken out directly by Samus, it's going to be a hell of a time getting to the main worlds.

Also, keep in mind that if the shielding of any given ship or planet has a power source, off switch, or weak point, Samus will find it, kill everything in a few mile radius, collect a power up or two, and then destroy it / turn it off / Attack the weak point for massive damage.

Reverent-One
2009-07-07, 10:09 PM
1. On ground, send Feds, Pirates, Ridley, Kraid, and every other boss they can find at the enemy forces. Samus is Brilliant at ground combat, but isn't going to be used against basic units, the Fed and Pirate jetpack and standard units can take care of that easy. Metroids are deployed against fortified enemies, Ridley attacks any sky units. Samus excels when against really big stuff, so when the big tanks and monster units come in, that when Samus is deployed. The Shinespark can rip a hole in a Tank, the Black Hole Bomb from Prime 2 can suck up dozens of smaller units, and the Sonic Boom could probably take out anything else short of a "boss", which would take time and coordination, but would be doable.

2. In space, the Feds have the best chances turning the situation into a ground battle. Samus can Shinespark a hole through a cruiser, and then board it, or send in Metroids. Ridley could crush the aft part of a mid-sized ship to let in Pirates, Feds, and Metroids. Worst case scenario, they crash ships into the Vong ships and then board from there.

Here is the big flaw in the strategy when it is used on Vong vehicles and ships, several vehicles (like the Vong version of the AT-AT for one) and all their ships use creatures that generate black holes as shields. Samus tries to shinespark one of them, they throw a black hole in front of her, she says "Oh sh-" and we never hear from her again.

chiasaur11
2009-07-07, 10:12 PM
Here is the big flaw in the strategy when it is used on Vong vehicles and ships, several vehicles (like the Vong version of the AT-AT for one) and all their ships use creatures that generate black holes as shields. Samus tries to shinespark one of them, they throw a black hole in front of her, she says "Oh sh-" and we never hear from her again.

Samus knows black holes.

Samus, in fact, has a gun that shoots black holes.

What I'm saying is, black holes?

Not a win button. Not even unique to the baddies. Heck, if Aether comes into the fight, the locals should be able to give the feddies tons of black hole guns.

Mando Knight
2009-07-07, 10:16 PM
The Vong are fairly good at adapting to their opponents. See: Voxyn.

Vornskyrs didn't suck out the Vongs' life force as soon as they got within sensing range. Metroids would, and Metroids do. If the first battle is fought on Zebes, they're in for it even more: Metroids raised on Zebes have highly resistant membranes that resist even Samus's H4xx0r beam. (Wave + Plasma beams in Super Metroid pierces solid matter... but stops cold against a Metroid)

Pirates have somehow been able to capture and raise Metroids. I don't know how, but they have. However, they got that knowledge from the Chozo organic supercomputer, Mother Brain. Without that knowledge in advance, and without the willingness to use inorganic systems, the Vong have no chance to capture Metroids of their own.

Fan
2009-07-07, 10:31 PM
I would like to point to the words Organic in your post when reffering to mother brain.

In response to your shine spark I not only bring up the Black hole instant generators (which logic says even LIGHT can't escape), I now bring up the nigh invicible weapons that their basice grunt troops have, ones that can go toe to toe with a LIGHT SABER, out preform it, and carry venom on top of that.
There's also the infamous Yuuzhan WORLD SHIPS one of which is supposed to be able to conquer a Star war level galaxy, and nearly does, but is only stopped by Luke Skywalker, A DARK and LIGHT side Jedi who is more powerful then Darth Vader, who as seen in the Force Unleashed is a Force User at the Primal level, a near god like Swords man, and one that can stop blaster fire with his bare hands.

These guys took down a entire squadron of Jedi using battle meditation to enhance their flying, leaving only ONE to deliver a message. They also have ship based magma cannons which ignore most star wars grade armor, and pierce any shielding.

They also have body suits that not only disguise you, but for all intents and purposes MAKES you one of the enemy for until you feel like taking it off.

There's also the matter of Tractor Beams, and regenerating ships that heal so fast that single man fighters can't get through in time much less Samus's bulky ship.

Reverent-One
2009-07-07, 10:38 PM
Samus knows black holes.

Samus, in fact, has a gun that shoots black holes.

What I'm saying is, black holes?

Not a win button. Not even unique to the baddies. Heck, if Aether comes into the fight, the locals should be able to give the feddies tons of black hole guns.

Are you referring to the Sonic boom? A handheld weapon produced singularity might not be enough to beat one from one of the Vong's ground vehicles, hard to say, and even if it can, it's an very resource intensive weapon for samus to use.

Pirates have somehow been able to capture and raise Metroids. I don't know how, but they have. However, they got that knowledge from the Chozo organic supercomputer, Mother Brain. Without that knowledge in advance, and without the willingness to use inorganic systems, the Vong have no chance to capture Metroids of their own.

I don't know about that, coat one in enough Blorash jelly, continually if need be, and that could keep it busy enough to study. Worse case they drop a dovin basal on zebes and let it pull down one of it's moons on it.

Mando Knight
2009-07-07, 10:40 PM
Shine Spark isn't how Samus wins fights, especially against bigger things. I have no idea where you got that idea. She's never won a fight against a boss by using Shine Spark.

Scan Visor is how she wins fights. Being more agile than her opponents is how she wins fights. Sneak attacks are how she wins fights. A huge cache of anti-infantry missiles and an infinite power supply behind an armor-piercing freezer beam is how she wins fights.

Vonduun Crab Armor has never had to deal with a beam weapon that fires pure cold and travels through solid matter.

Samus takes down everything she's fought so far without the Force... which the Vong are immune to. Their greatest strength was that they were immune to the biggest badasses in the Galaxy Far, Far Away. They weren't immune to Boba Fett, they're not immune to Beam Spam-us Aran.

TheLogman
2009-07-07, 10:42 PM
See, and there's the problem again. We don't know anything about the Metroid Universe ships. So I don't know if Black Holes or Magma Cannons would do anything against Federation ships, and if so how much, because I don't know anything about Federation ships.

Also, how the hell do they use black holes as shields? That doesn't even make any sense. could someone please explain if there are any given sciences or mechanics behind these things? Because although I accept them as existing, given that they do, I have no clue how they work. Are they inside the black hole? Are there thousands of them surrounding them? Have they just created paper thin black holes and draped them around the ship? What does a black hole even do?

Assuming they just create a paper thin black hole and drape it around the ship, then there's no way in or out of the ship. But then how do they shoot things? Wouldn't any charges get sucked into the black hole? Are black holes that are launched sucked into larger black holes that shield them? Do they just fly their mobile black hole ship into other ships and suck them all up? Does it then grow larger like a Katamari and roll around? How do they see our of their black hole ship, given that any cameras or sensors would have no way to penetrate the shield, and would be sucked in if placed outside?

If Samus does manage to confront these guys on ground, then assuming she can generate a larger black hole than they can, they and their black hole will be sucked into hers.

EDIT: As for the Shinespark, I was the one to first bring that up. I didn't mean it as an anti-personnel weapon, but I imagined that its power to break walls could be used for anti-vehicular and anti-ship purposes.

And Samus' Black Hole weapon is the Dark Beam Super weapon, not the Sonic Boom.

The Elemental Beams are a significant advantage to Samus, because chances are the armors of any given species are not immune to intense heat, cold, and electricity. Plus, the Missiles, Power Bombs, and Super Missiles are very good at armor piercing and the like.

Fan
2009-07-07, 10:48 PM
The black holes are generated at FTL speeds to counteract missile/laser/anything else fire, and to deactivate the shields of their enemy by placing one of them ontop, not one big enough to swallow the ship whole, but it has the ability to.

And canonicly the magma gun that samus has (which is pressumably weaker, and smaller then theirs.) affects anything not immune to fire specifically, and melts through armor like its nothing, so it must effect them even if they HAD ultra advanced shields.

Also, Samus doesn't get her shields either, and IIRC in the book in which they appeared the black holes also shut down the energy based weapons systems of the X wing Sqaudron of Jedis using battle mediation. Hence why they had to resort to proton torpedo's before being salughtered.

TheLogman
2009-07-07, 10:53 PM
If the Black Holes are generated as needed, and not a constant cover, then it just becomes a matter of sneaking onto the ship. Once on, she can easily take out any given single enemy, and then take out the black hole generator. It becomes just another Metroid side-mission, take out the generator, get out as it explodes.

But, if the black holes are generated like that, it means that a Ridley-Smash or a Shinespark into the ship itself to cause a major breach is not an option. That means that Samus must stealthily take out each ship's defenses before she can cause a breach to let in the ground troops.

Fan
2009-07-07, 10:58 PM
If the Black Holes are generated as needed, and not a constant cover, then it just becomes a matter of sneaking onto the ship. Once on, she can easily take out any given single enemy, and then take out the black hole generator. It becomes just another Metroid side-mission, take out the generator, get out as it explodes.

But, if the black holes are generated like that, it means that a Ridley-Smash or a Shinespark into the ship itself to cause a major breach is not an option. That means that Samus must stealthily take out each ship's defenses before she can cause a breach to let in the ground troops.

Well, considering that they HAVE detected single man borders in the past (Luke Skywalker), and single ships really cant get past the Black Hole+Magma Cannon point defenses... I'd say that even Beam Spamus Aran can't drift through space to get to them, and if they have to do that for even the basic SINGLE MAN fighters that these things are equipped on.....

There's also the fact that their home world is literally a living, sentient, world, so if they bring that to bear, things may become... Complicated. Even more so then before.

Reverent-One
2009-07-07, 11:02 PM
Scan Visor is how she wins fights. Being more agile than her opponents is how she wins fights. Sneak attacks are how she wins fights. A huge cache of anti-infantry missiles and an infinite power supply behind an armor-piercing freezer beam is how she wins fights.

Vonduun Crab Armor has never had to deal with a beam weapon that fires pure cold and travels through solid matter.

Samus takes down everything she's fought so far without the Force... which the Vong are immune to. Their greatest strength was that they were immune to the biggest badasses in the Galaxy Far, Far Away. They weren't immune to Boba Fett, they're not immune to Beam Spam-us Aran.

Oh, I'm not arguing that she won't wreak havok on their infantry, but I question what she can do on higher powered targets than that.

Also, how the hell do they use black holes as shields? That doesn't even make any sense. could someone please explain if there are any given sciences or mechanics behind these things? Because although I accept them as existing, given that they do, I have no clue how they work. Are they inside the black hole? Are there thousands of them surrounding them? Have they just created paper thin black holes and draped them around the ship? What does a black hole even do?

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Dovin_basal

And Samus' Black Hole weapon is the Dark Beam Super weapon, not the Sonic Boom.

This dark beam? (http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/Dark_Beam) :smallconfused: That fires nothing resembling a black hole singularity?

Theoretically, yes, she could try to sneak on board and sabotage the Dovin Basals on the ship, but they do have sensors, so I wouldn't say it would be that easy...

Mando Knight
2009-07-07, 11:07 PM
The black holes are generated at FTL speeds to counteract missile/laser/anything else fire, and to deactivate the shields of their enemy by placing one of them ontop, not one big enough to swallow the ship whole, but it has the ability to.

The problem with that is that the dovin basals have to focus on the shields or energy weapons to keep them drained... which opens them up to attack. Also, sustained low-power shots can overload the dovin basal's ability to intercept incoming attacks, which is how the not-Jedi manage to destroy stuff.

I repeat: Not-Jedi have kill counts on the Yuuzhan Vong spacecraft which are dovin basal-defended. Han Solo, Boba Fett, 99.9% of the New Republic and Imperial military are not Force Sensitive, and develop the skills needed to destroy Yuuzhan Vong space vehicles.

Samus Aran has both the weapons that can deal damage to a Yuuzhan Vong vehicle (armor-piercing, rapid fire beams combined with an ungodly arsenal of anti-infantry and anti-armor missiles), and a Scan Visor that allows her to detect the weaknesses of her foes within seconds. She can learn how to defeat the things rather easily.

On Metroids: Blorash Jelly might hold them for all of ten seconds. The jelly is a living being, and it's attaching itself to the Metroid. If you willingly cover a Metroid with your body, you will die a horrible death as it sucks the life out of you, leaving you a brittle husk that crumbles into ashes at the slightest touch.

Fan
2009-07-07, 11:17 PM
The problem with that is that the dovin basals have to focus on the shields or energy weapons to keep them drained... which opens them up to attack. Also, sustained low-power shots can overload the dovin basal's ability to intercept incoming attacks, which is how the not-Jedi manage to destroy stuff.

I repeat: Not-Jedi have kill counts on the Yuuzhan Vong spacecraft which are dovin basal-defended. Han Solo, Boba Fett, 99.9% of the New Republic and Imperial military are not Force Sensitive, and develop the skills needed to destroy Yuuzhan Vong space vehicles.

Samus Aran has both the weapons that can deal damage to a Yuuzhan Vong vehicle (armor-piercing, rapid fire beams combined with an ungodly arsenal of anti-infantry and anti-armor missiles), and a Scan Visor that allows her to detect the weaknesses of her foes within seconds. She can learn how to defeat the things rather easily.

On Metroids: Blorash Jelly might hold them for all of ten seconds. The jelly is a living being, and it's attaching itself to the Metroid. If you willingly cover a Metroid with your body, you will die a horrible death as it sucks the life out of you, leaving you a brittle husk that crumbles into ashes at the slightest touch.

Umm, I have to say your wrong there. Han Solo is regarded as one of the best pilots in existance, and Boba Fett was fed to the Selrach UNTIL a book that was published at a later date. There's also the fact that in order to defeat ONE of their fleets it took EVERY SINGLE Space Fleet in Star wars to drive them away, and it left all the non imperial forces CRIPPLED, as stated by Luke Skywalker in the book sequeling the battle.

Also, if Samus TRIES to board, she'll find herself plunged into a black hole, which as mentioned even Light cant escape, and since this particular black hole denies energy weapons to the boarding party (Samus) she only has 1 weapon of mention (The mentioned Dark matter gun).

On the note of the Scan visor your assuming the enemy has a weak point that she can target. This isn't a Metroid video game, not everything has a weak point that GLOWS ORANGE.

Reverent-One
2009-07-07, 11:25 PM

Samus Aran has both the weapons that can deal damage to a Yuuzhan Vong vehicle (armor-piercing, rapid fire beams combined with an ungodly arsenal of anti-infantry and anti-armor missiles),

Most, if not all, of Samus's beams uncharged don't even kill Space pirates in one shot, that's not even on a par with the reduced laser cannon fire from an X-wing's cannons. She would have to charge to replicate that power, and that prevents her from using rapid fire shots. Which means she'd have a hard time overwhelming even a coralskipper's shields, much less more powerful versions on cruisers and large ground combat units.

and a Scan Visor that allows her to detect the weaknesses of her foes within seconds. She can learn how to defeat the things rather easily.

Just because it can scan things like space pirates and that exist in her universe does not mean it can instantly take something even as alien as Vong tech and break it down in seconds. Are we also going to assume that whenever she kills an enemy, they'll drop energy balls and missiles too?

Right, and the Vong have lots of the stuff. It would be a costly capture, for sure, but it would be worth it if they can figure out how to make their own metriods. And if they can't study it, they have other options.

Mando Knight
2009-07-07, 11:26 PM
Umm, I have to say your wrong there. Han Solo is regarded as one of the best pilots in existance, and Boba Fett was fed to the Selrach UNTIL a book that was published at a later date.
Who the hells do you think she is? She's SAMUS ARAN, DESTROYER OF WORLDS! She's considered a myth by some of the GF troops. Hers is the Beam that Pierces the Heavens!

It's called a Sarlaac.

Also, if Samus TRIES to board, she'll find herself plunged into a black hole, which as mentioned even Light cant escape, and since this particular black hole denies energy weapons to the boarding party (Samus) she only has 1 weapon of mention (The mentioned Dark matter gun).
And Anakin Solo never infiltrated and destroyed a worldship (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Baanu_Rass). Nosiree.

On the note of the Scan visor your assuming the enemy has a weak point that she can target. This isn't a Metroid video game, not everything has a weak point that GLOWS ORANGE.

None of Samus's enemies have glowing orange weak points as far as I can remember, except when she peers into the heads of the Pirate Commandos to snipe them with her Nova Beam. The Scan Visor finds structural weaknesses, energy surges, anything exploitable that could be determined by an exhaustive visual scan, including infrared and ultraviolet wavelengths.

Sholos
2009-07-07, 11:29 PM
The Yuuzhan Vong are one of the worst things to happen to Star Wars EU ever. They're like the Mary Sue of villainy.

Fan
2009-07-07, 11:32 PM
Who the hells do you think she is? She's SAMUS ARAN, DESTROYER OF WORLDS! She's considered a myth by some of the GF troops. Hers is the Beam that Pierces the Heavens!

It's called a Sarlaac.

And Anakin Solo never infiltrated and destroyed a worldship (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Baanu_Rass). Nosiree.

None of Samus's enemies have glowing orange weak points as far as I can remember, except when she peers into the heads of the Pirate Commandos to snipe them with her Nova Beam. The Scan Visor finds structural weaknesses, energy surges, anything exploitable that could be determined by an exhaustive visual scan, including infrared and ultraviolet wavelengths.

Yeah, your also forgetting that these guys could toss Samus around with no way for her to resist. take aim, or do anything as she's crushed into a Hyper dense ball of Chozo armor, so don't even begin to talk about Anakin Solo, who by the way is so powerful with machines, and their ilk through the force that as a BABY he could tell subconisously that Chewbacca had set a beam matrix too light on a mining laser.

Also, since the weapons of the Yuuzhan bypass shields (smaller, field black hole generators they have on ground vehicles.), combined with weapons that out preform lightsabers in the armor penetration department... (Although odds are they would focus on disabling energy weapons with the amount of energy weapons Space pirates and feds use, but they can divide attention on both to kill Samus).

Mando Knight
2009-07-07, 11:50 PM
Yeah, your also forgetting that these guys could toss Samus around with no way for her to resist. take aim, or do anything as she's crushed into a Hyper dense ball of Chozo armor,

If they could do that, then why is Luke Skywalker still alive? Why isn't the Falcon a ball of scrap? Why is the Slave 1 still flying after nearly a century? Why is Coruscant still Coruscant and not Yuuzhan'tar?

Simple answer: the dovin basals do not work that way. Powerful? Yes. Capable of absorbing enemy projectiles? Yes. Able to to become an instant-win button on their own? No.

Samus also has access to the Gravity Suit, as defined in the original post. It seems that the Chozo have mastered gravitics at a level at least on par with the Galaxy Far, Far Away, given the suit's name. Especially considering that she regains the suit in Metroid Fusion after defeating the Federation's prototype gravity-based bio-weapon, Nightmare (http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/Nightmare). Saying that she's completely incapable of dealing with gravity controlling devices seems to be ignorance.

Fan
2009-07-07, 11:57 PM
If they could do that, then why is Luke Skywalker still alive? Why isn't the Falcon a ball of scrap? Why is the Slave 1 still flying after nearly a century? Why is Coruscant still Coruscant and not Yuuzhan'tar?

Simple answer: the dovin basals do not work that way. Powerful? Yes. Capable of absorbing enemy projectiles? Yes. Able to to become an instant-win button on their own? No.

Samus also has access to the Gravity Suit, as defined in the original post. It seems that the Chozo have mastered gravitics at a level at least on par with the Galaxy Far, Far Away, given the suit's name. Especially considering that she regains the suit in Metroid Fusion after defeating the Federation's prototype gravity-based bio-weapon, Nightmare (http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/Nightmare). Saying that she's completely incapable of dealing with gravity controlling devices seems to be ignorance.

It also seems to me like your throwing around insults now where they are unwarranted....

You also seem to forget that they DO work that way EXPLICITLY. They can both disable energy weapons, and shields, so if you have 2 of them they can do BOTH common sense alert.

Also, there is a difference from a thing creating gravity wells, and something creating a BLACK HOLE, something entire galaxies, and maybe one day the universe gets eaten by.

Also, on the note of Anakin Solo I have to bring this little detail of that endevaor up.

That almost half of the task force, were killed, including strike team commander Anakin Solo. Jacen Solo was captured, and tortured before he managed to PLOT HAX his way into killing the queen. Saying that Anakin Solo did it, is FAR from accurate.

Also, your giving her ALL of her suits at once, I apologize if this is ignorance from not playing the game, but LOGICALLY it takes TIME to shift from suit to suit, and I don't really see a way to take it off being readily available in a REAL battle field situation.

Zeful
2009-07-07, 11:58 PM
With the X and Metroids, it would be an easy deal to surrender, infect the negotiator with X minutes before dock, then let the near invincible X eat the ship.

Or, surrender and send Samus as the negotiator. Quick way to allow her on board and start killing things.

Fan
2009-07-08, 12:03 AM
With the X and Metroids, it would be an easy deal to surrender, infect the negotiator with X minutes before dock, then let the near invincible X eat the ship.

Or, surrender and send Samus as the negotiator. Quick way to allow her on board and start killing things.

Not going to happen. If they surrender they will be eaten alive by a storm of magma fire focused on their capital ships. They take MAYBE one prisoner from a world the first time they invade of the various species, and thats to extract data/torture for the hell of it.

They are love whole sale slaughter, and seem fuffiled by it. Prisoners, and negotiations are a no go.

Zeful
2009-07-08, 12:10 AM
Okay. Drag them over to the Talos (talon? either way it's from Metroid Prime: Hunters) system and reactivate the seals and lock away their biggest ship from this dimension.

Mystic Muse
2009-07-08, 12:12 AM
Not going to happen. If they surrender they will be eaten alive by a storm of magma fire focused on their capital ships. They take MAYBE one prisoner from a world the first time they invade of the various species, and thats to extract data/torture for the hell of it.

They are love whole sale slaughter, and seem fuffiled by it. Prisoners, and negotiations are a no go.

okay. I'm not entirely sure about the yuzzhan vong because I never read about them. however NOTHING can stand up to the X. they just keep replicating and taking information from their first host. and if they actually listened the federation wouldn't be stupid enough to send all of them towards one ship. they'd attack from several different locations and would eventually get onto at least a few. Samus couldn't even manage to destroy them instead she had to ISOLATE them in order to prevent them from rampaging the entire universe. the only thing they're weak against are metroids.

and honeslty i the yuuzhan vong are as powerful as you guys claim they are how did they get beaten in the first place?

Fan
2009-07-08, 12:16 AM
okay. I'm not entirely sure about the yuzzhan vong because I never read about them. however NOTHING can stand up to the X. they just keep replicating and taking information from their first host. and if they actually listened the federation wouldn't be stupid enough to send all of them towards one ship. they'd attack from several different locations and would eventually get onto at least a few. Samus couldn't even manage to destroy them instead she had to ISOLATE them in order to prevent them from rampaging the entire universe. the only thing they're weak against are metroids.

and honeslty i the yuuzhan vong are as powerful as you guys claim they are how did they get beaten in the first place?

By PLOT, and a entire galaxies armada?

Also, if the X are like that... Then why the hell would Samus and Co ever unleash them? Their supposed to be moderate good guys to a extent. Why doom the rest of the galaxy to kill off a couple ships that can just laugh, leave, and come back after your decimated sans the metroids?

chiasaur11
2009-07-08, 12:18 AM

Also, if the X are like that... Then why the hell would Samus and Co ever unleash them? Their supposed to be moderate good guys to a extent. Why doom the rest of the galaxy to kill off a couple ships that can just laugh, leave, and come back after your decimated sans the metroids?

Samus is a good guy, true.

The Space Pirates, however, are not. At all. Also, they tend not to think things through.

Besides, with Pirate gen-tech and Feddie resources Metroids can be mass produced. Which means Xs are only a problem for the invaders, while Sammy and her reluctant allies watch the Metroids prevent the Xs from infecting the galaxy.

Zeful
2009-07-08, 12:20 AM

1:) The federation, pirates, and chozo can either clone (Feds and Pirates) or make metroids (the chozo (non-canon)).
2:) Metroid Gene injections will prevent X from taking hold. Turning a menace into food.
3:) X can't go through solid walls
4:) 90% depopulation as a side effect of defeating the bad guys is always better than complete annihilation.

Fan
2009-07-08, 12:21 AM
Samus is a good guy, true.

The Space Pirates, however, are not. At all. Also, they tend not to think things through.

Well, their allied with Samus, and with them being the apparent Mythic Leader, and Trump card of the Federation, I assume most things involving that have to go either past the Feds which Samus will hear about and attempt to nix, or the story line will have her on a mission after one of the X burst from a containment pod/field, and made abunch of X out of the Space Pirate crew.

CUE PLOT!

Also, can Samus be in multiple places, handling multiple engagements at once?

I thought not.
:smallamused:

In all seriousness Samus can only be involved in one battle at a time, and these battles are dangerous even for her. I doubt ONE PERSON could protect the galaxy from a thousand front war, which the Federation would unarguably lose in the long run.

Mystic Muse
2009-07-08, 12:23 AM

they were trying to bio-engineer the X to do something. the plot never really explains what. in the end of the game Samus has to send the station she's on into a planet so that the X can't drive through the universe contaminating everything. she didn't condemn the universe to save a few ships she POSSIBLY condemned one planet (which I think was the original home of the X or maybe the metroids in which case the X can be held at bay) to save the universe. I don't remember all the details of why she chose SR388 but I haven't played the game in a while.

plot seems to be the only thing working against them. what use is an entire armada if nothing you attack with can hit and if you try to ram into them you just disappear?

plus Samus has plot armor:smallwink:

chiasaur11
2009-07-08, 12:24 AM

SA-X.

That is all.

Mystic Muse
2009-07-08, 12:24 AM
Well, their allied with Samus, and with them being the apparent Mythic Leader, and Trump card of the Federation, I assume most things involving that have to go either past the Feds which Samus will hear about and attempt to nix, or the story line will have her on a mission after one of the X burst from a containment pod/field, and made abunch of X out of the Space Pirate crew.

CUE PLOT!

I thought not.
:smallamused:

In all seriousness Samus can only be involved in one battle at a time, and these battles are dangerous even for her. I doubt ONE PERSON could protect the galaxy from a thousand front war, which the Federation would unarguably lose in the long run.

oh and actually in the game there are no less than ELEVEN copies of Samus due to the replicating abilities of the X and the fact she got infected (and cured due to the metoird vaccine) at the start. now combine this with the fact that the X will CONTINUE to reproduce and Samus no longer needs to even enter the equation:smallbiggrin:

now the real question is. can Samus now suck the life force out of her opponents since her organic suit now has metroid DNA?:smallconfused:

Fan
2009-07-08, 12:26 AM
they were trying to bio-engineer the X to do something. the plot never really explains what. in the end of the game Samus has to send the station she's on into a planet so that the X can't drive through the universe contaminating everything. she didn't condemn the universe to save a few ships she POSSIBLY condemned one planet (which I think was the original home of the X or maybe the metroids in which case the X can be held at bay) to save the universe. I don't remember all the details of why she chose SR388 but I haven't played the game in a while.

plot seems to be the only thing working against them. what use is an entire armada if nothing you attack with can hit and if you try to ram into them you just disappear?

plus Samus has plot armor:smallwink:

Not in this discussion she doesn't Burning.

Anyways, after awhile I'm sure that if the X are somewhat sentient they would realize the Vong have the same goals as them, and you don't even want to THINK about a X Vong hybrid.

Also, didn't she KILL most of the other bounty hunters in the DS game?:smallconfused:

Mystic Muse
2009-07-08, 12:28 AM

Anyways, after awhile I'm sure that if the X are somewhat sentient they would realize the Vong have the same goals as them, and you don't even want to THINK about a X Vong hybrid.

Also, didn't she KILL most of the other bounty hunters in the DS game?:smallconfused:

didn't play the DS game. the reason she killed the ones in 3 though was because they got possessed by dark samus (ooh yet another delightful enemy for these guys to face)

the X are more like a virus. I don't think they have any intelligence beyond KILL

I should also mention that all of her suits actually combine together and ARE active at one time. and that there's one that allows her to walk through magma and radiation without being harmed.

Fan
2009-07-08, 12:31 AM
didn't play the DS game. the reason she killed the ones in 3 though was because they got possessed by dark samus (ooh yet another delightful enemy for these guys to face)

the X are more like a virus. I don't think they have any intelligence beyond KILL

I don't see why Dark Samus would ally with Light Samus... I see her as the nefarious turn coat who betrays everyone in the middle of a major battle to become a Vong Warrior... Which proly ends with her getting a black hole gun.

Also, the reason why I mentioned it is because the DS is the only one I've ever really played, and even then only for the multi player. >.>

But yeah, I could see a Vong X Hybrid jumping out of this.. Not pretty.

Zeful
2009-07-08, 12:35 AM

The X are the result of a line from Akira: "What would happen if an amoeba had the power of a human?" So no they aren't sapient (as all living things are sentient). And even if they were, the Vong are still as much food as anything else.

Yep, and stole their guns. This means she has a sniper rifle available to her in this situation.

Mystic Muse
2009-07-08, 12:36 AM
I don't see why Dark Samus would ally with Light Samus... I see her as the nefarious turn coat who betrays everyone in the middle of a major battle to become a Vong Warrior... Which proly ends with her getting a black hole gun.

Also, the reason why I mentioned it is because the DS is the only one I've ever really played, and even then only for the multi player. >.>

But yeah, I could see a Vong X Hybrid jumping out of this.. Not pretty.

I can see a lot of bad things jumping out of this. I'm merely working with the assumption that beings from the metroid world are on the same side. of couse neither the X nor dark samus were put into the original equation. I guess I'm just adding more variable and making the answer harder to find.

well I can see dark Samus betraying the feds but I can also see twelve other samuses kicking her butt:smallwink:

I can also see the pirates betraying the feds right then and there because they know now is the best time to take care of their worst enemy.

I can see the feds betraying the pirates
I can see the x killing everybody

I CAN SEE ELVIS JUMPING OFF THE MOON AND KILLING EVERYBODY WITH ROCK AND ROLL FOR GOODNESS SAKE!

now the question is if the Yuuzhan vong are so powerful why are we even considering a versus thread with them? shouldn't we do versus threads with matchups that either side can win?

Fan
2009-07-08, 12:38 AM
The X are the result of a line from Akira: "What would happen if an amoeba had the power of a human?" So no they aren't sapient (as all living things are sentient). And even if they were, the Vong are still as much food as anything else.

Yep, and stole their guns. This means she has a sniper rifle available to her in this situation.

But also denies her the aid of any of the others, as these guns are presumably rare One of a Kind Chozo ancient tech.

So, no Samus in all but one a thousand possible engagements. This is assuming she's even where the main fleet is as they don't use the same kind of warp that Metroid does making their movements impossible to track, and with them having the upper hand in Ship to Ship combat as a whole... Things don't look to shiny.

Also, I actually find this thread kind of comforting with the extreme amount of BEAM SPAMUS ARAN WINS!!!111!Elventy!! that's been going on lately. I've never been a fan of nintendo past the original systems simply because I like a good solid STORY LINE to my games, and Metroid, Zelda, and all my other original favorites got just kind of re used. I will give them kudos for Fire Emblem though, one of the best games I've ever played. However, I'm horribly off topic now, so please ignore this.:smalltongue:

Mystic Muse
2009-07-08, 12:42 AM
But also denies her the aid of any of the others, as these guns are presumably rare One of a Kind Chozo ancient tech.

So, no Samus in all but one a thousand possible engagements. This is assuming she's even where the main fleet is as they don't use the same kind of warp that Metroid does making their movements impossible to track, and with them having the upper hand in Ship to Ship combat as a whole... Things don't look to shiny.

however the suit samus has is organic, including the weapons. so guess what? let Samus get infected with the X. give her vaccine, let them replicate and in all of those thousand battles guess who's leading the charge:smallwink:

oh and in the last metroid game there's a new power up called "plot armor":smallbiggrin: (no not really.)

Fan
2009-07-08, 12:43 AM
however the suit samus has is organic, including the weapons. so guess what? let Samus get infected with the X. give her vaccine, let them replicate and in all of those thousand battles guess who's leading the charge:smallwink:

oh and in the last metroid game there's a new power up called "plot armor":smallbiggrin: (no not really.)

Yeah, except the X aren't being included per the OP, so we can't really use them, or the other Bounty hunters even if they had their guns. >.>

Mystic Muse
2009-07-08, 12:44 AM
Also, I actually find this thread kind of comforting with the extreme amount of BEAM SPAMUS ARAN WINS!!!111!Elventy!! that's been going on lately. I've never been a fan of nintendo past the original systems simply because I like a good solid STORY LINE to my games, and Metroid, Zelda, and all my other original favorites got just kind of re used. I will give them kudos for Fire Emblem though, one of the best games I've ever played. However, I'm horribly off topic now, so please ignore this.:smalltongue:

at least I'm approaching this conversation in an adult form. (not a shot at you. more at the people who don't add anything to the conversation and write nothing other than "Samus is the foehammer, the banhammer and the doomhammer all in one!" and don't give actual reasons she'd win)

Mystic Muse
2009-07-08, 12:46 AM
Yeah, except the X aren't being included per the OP, so we can't really use them, or the other Bounty hunters even if they had their guns. >.>

okay then I'll be honest. without plot armor the feds, samus and the pirates can't win I don't think.

however bring the X into this equation and nothing short of divine intervention can stop their side. oh and metroid intervention.

Fan
2009-07-08, 12:47 AM
at least I'm approaching this conversation in an adult form. (not a shot at you. more at the people who don't add anything to the conversation and write nothing other than "Samus is the foehammer, the banhammer and the doomhammer all in one!" and don't give actual reasons she'd win)

I wasn't reffering to you, or anyone else who has posted specifically. I was just reffering to my disdain for people who provide no reasonings, or arguements but rather just say X wins. No offence to those who do, it's just a pet peeve of mine, and it's come up alot lately.

I'm sorry if I offended anyone inadverentaly, but it was intended as a blanket comment to those who do as the above mentions in this post.

TigerHunter
2009-07-08, 12:52 AM
To those who were talking earlier about the Vong being unwilling to use inorganic tech, they were seen using the electronic archives on Obroa-Skai. They will make use of inorganic tech if they can be convinced that it will give them enough of an advantage.

Mystic Muse
2009-07-08, 12:53 AM
I wasn't reffering to you, or anyone else who has posted specifically. I was just reffering to my disdain for people who provide no reasonings, or arguements but rather just say X wins. No offence to those who do, it's just a pet peeve of mine, and it's come up alot lately.

I'm sorry if I offended anyone inadverentaly, but it was intended as a blanket comment to those who do as the above mentions in this post.

yeah I didn't take any of your posts as such. you were arguing in a completely adult manner and I thank you for that. but like I said some people just don't add anything to the conversation or won't admit they're wrong.

although I think there are a few situations where the Yuuzhan vong would DEFINITELY win you've got to admit there's a few where Samus's team would as well.

Fan
2009-07-08, 12:56 AM
yeah I didn't take any of your posts as such. you were arguing in a completely adult manner and I thank you for that. but like I said some people just don't add anything to the conversation or won't admit they're wrong.

although I think there are a few situations where the Yuuzhan vong would DEFINITELY win you've got to admit there's a few where Samus's team would as well.

Actually, I fully agree with that, I would see this kind of conflict spaning over decades, and potentially crippling the Vong if they won as Samus, and a group of rebels join together to hit them hard and fast, Ala Red Faction.

Mystic Muse
2009-07-08, 01:05 AM
Actually, I fully agree with that, I would see this kind of conflict spaning over decades, and potentially crippling the Vong if they won as Samus, and a group of rebels join together to hit them hard and fast, Ala Red Faction.

or possibly Samus and said resistance doing hit and run tactics taking out just small amounts at a time but enough to do some damage.

the vong are powerful but if they're force immune they lose the only real way to beat a small ragtag group of people............

is it just me or did this just turn into a potential RPG campaign?

Fan
2009-07-08, 01:06 AM
or possibly Samus and said resistance doing hit and run tactics taking out just small amounts at a time but enough to do some damage.

the vong are powerful but if they're force immune they lose the only real way to beat a small ragtag group of people............

is it just me or did this just turn into a potential RPG campaign?

I believe it did, We will call it Metroid Faction II!:smalltongue:

Zeful
2009-07-08, 01:08 AM

The X were discovered on SR388, which is one of the planets where the scenario takes place.

Yes we can use them. Samus won't have the metroid vaccine, but most of the metroids aren't dead either so it's possible that she'll survive.

Fan
2009-07-08, 01:10 AM
The X were discovered on SR388, which is one of the planets where the scenario takes place.

Yes we can use them. Samus won't have the metroid vaccine, but most of the metroids aren't dead either so it's possible that she'll survive.

Yeah this is METROID V.s. The Von not Samus, V.s. the Vong... There's no way the X would ally with anybody, and if Samus ever let them out of their planet, I doubt they would go after JUST the Vong...

Mystic Muse
2009-07-08, 01:11 AM

yes but the only parties mentioned that are fighting against the vong are the federation and pirates. bringing the X into this blows the whole equation.

Mystic Muse
2009-07-08, 01:13 AM
Yeah this is METROID V.s. The Von not Samus, V.s. the Vong... There's no way the X would ally with anybody, and if Samus ever let them out of their planet, I doubt they would go after JUST the Vong...

true but they could probably find a way to get the metroids to kill the x once the vong were dead.

I think they'd go after samus first though. she's the most powerful individual in the entire equation. unless they could mimic the vong scientist who created the black hole shield

Fan
2009-07-08, 01:14 AM
true but they could probably find a way to get the metroids to kill the x once the vong were dead.

I think they'd go after samus first though. she's the most powerful individual in the entire equation. unless they could mimic the vong scientist who created the black hole shield

Well, they would have to get ahold of the ships, and considering that the ships are living, I find it hard to believe that they wouldn't kamikaze if disabled by having the little black hole maker in them go boom.

Mystic Muse
2009-07-08, 01:16 AM
Well, they would have to get ahold of the ships, and considering that the ships are living, I find it hard to believe that they wouldn't kamikaze if disabled by having the little black hole maker in them go boom.

huh. did not know the ships were organic. okay in the scenario that the X start killing everything in sight the federation has a chance. they probably have several vaccines. the vong though? I highly doubt they've ever encountered the X and since they have no metroids they are screwed.

that is only one of many possible outcomes though.

Fan
2009-07-08, 01:20 AM
huh. did not know the ships were organic. okay in the scenario that the X start killing everything in sight the federation has a chance. they probably have several vaccines. the vong though? I highly doubt they've ever encountered the X and since they have no metroids they are screwed.

that is only one of many possible outcomes though.

The ships are living, and I actually believe that the Vong have the ability to replicate Metroid DNA once the X becomes enough of a direct threat with constant application of that wonderful gel of theirs, before hitting the thing with a turbo laser.

Mystic Muse
2009-07-08, 01:29 AM
The ships are living, and I actually believe that the Vong have the ability to replicate Metroid DNA once the X becomes enough of a direct threat with constant application of that wonderful gel of theirs, before hitting the thing with a turbo laser.

yeah well, well SMOKEBOMB! (disappears)

in all seriousness I don't think I know enough about the vong's weapons and ships to argue about this anymore. thank you for a stimulating debate.I must be leaving now. feel like arguing anything else about video games that I may have played PM me.

Fan
2009-07-08, 01:33 AM
yeah well, well SMOKEBOMB! (disappears)

in all seriousness I don't think I know enough about the vong's weapons and ships to argue about this anymore. thank you for a stimulating debate.I must be leaving now. feel like arguing anything else about video games that I may have played PM me.

Well, most of the knowledge that has been used is open source thanks to the ever useful Wookiepedia. Just punch in the Yuuzhan Vong into the search, and it should tell you everything you need to know. I've used SOME information from the books detailing the first encounter, but everything else is freely available there. :smallsmile:

If you still choose to leave the debate, have a nice day, and may the force be with you.

Mystic Muse
2009-07-08, 01:41 AM
Well, most of the knowledge that has been used is open source thanks to the ever useful Wookiepedia. Just punch in the Yuuzhan Vong into the search, and it should tell you everything you need to know. I've used SOME information from the books detailing the first encounter, but everything else is freely available there. :smallsmile:

If you still choose to leave the debate, have a nice day, and may the force be with you.

eh I'd look but it's about three AM and I got a D&D campaign to run tomorrow. I REALLY need to get to sleep.

may the force be with you as well. and may you not be replicated by x or have the life force sucked out of you by metroids or all manner of horrible things that can happen in metroid.

Moonshadow
2009-07-08, 02:15 AM
The problem with using the X-Parasite againt the Vong is that their tech IS organic. Which means the X can and will replicate it.

So, while the X would -probably- destroy the Vong, Samus and the Feds/Space Pirates would then have to face X-Vong.

For which they'd probably need to have a whole army of Omega Metroids...

Pretty much, no matter what tactics you use, there is going to be a problem.

Although, considering the X and the Metroids basically descend into murderous rage upon encountering each other (like the mongoose and the cobra), as long as you threw enough Metroid at the X-Vong, Samus and co would win.

Thrawn183
2009-07-08, 08:01 AM
I think people are underestimating the vong's ability to adapt organic tech to new threats/problems. All they need is cold right?

Prime32
2009-07-08, 10:52 AM
Just to make a random point.

The Prime games explain the health pickups as a result of the Chozo matter-energy conversion technology in Samus's Beam weapons combining with the "life force" of the dying creature. Similarly, no-one has been able to identify just what it is that metroids drain from their victims, with a vague "life force" being the best term anyone could come up with for it.

What if this is actually The Force? Things suddenly become a lot harder if Samus can't recover health from defeating Vong and metroids have nothing to drain from them.

chiasaur11
2009-07-08, 01:40 PM
Just to make a random point.

The Prime games explain the health pickups as a result of the Chozo matter-energy conversion technology in Samus's Beam weapons combining with the "life force" of the dying creature. Similarly, no-one has been able to identify just what it is that metroids drain from their victims, with a vague "life force" being the best term anyone could come up with for it.

What if this is actually The Force? Things suddenly become a lot harder if Samus can't recover health from defeating Vong and metroids have nothing to drain from them.

Well, Samus gets ammo and health from robots and boxes as well, categories not known for their force affinity.

pflare
2009-07-13, 02:11 PM
As much as I love, love, love Samus Aran I think the Vong would win. She is simply one super bounty hunter while they are a huge race of pain-loving organic weapon using warriors (and priests and shapers but I digress). While I think Samus could survive (Bobba Fett did) I think the rest would die and their galaxly conquered by those outside the force.