PDA

View Full Version : Most useful tool

Amador
2009-07-08, 09:18 PM
What do the playgrounders think is the most (a) useful and (b) useless tool that mankind has ever developed?

Coidzor
2009-07-08, 09:24 PM
A. Flint Knife. Likely one of the most basic tools developed to aid in hunting, skinning, getting the meat off the bone, etc. And served to develop into other hunting tools such as flint-tipped spears and other weaponry.

B. Handheld Back Massager. (and no, not the saucy kind)

arguskos
2009-07-08, 09:28 PM
Useful: Pocket multitool. It's not the most heavily used thing ever, but damn if it isn't amazingly useful to have!

Useless: Handheld back massage thing. Coid totally called it.

J.B. Ganning
2009-07-08, 09:30 PM
a) A hammer.

b) A weak magnetic stud finder.

Innis Cabal
2009-07-08, 09:32 PM
The ramp. Without it we'd not be here today.

Tharivol123
2009-07-08, 09:40 PM
Most useful: Multi-tool, like the swiss army knife
Most useless: Same, only the "on steroids" version: http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/tools/8b97/

Amador
2009-07-08, 09:46 PM
Hmm, these are interesting replies.

I was debating between knife and fire as the most useful and thought that the sword was the least useful.

Jack Squat
2009-07-08, 09:49 PM
Most useful, I would say a knife. Can prepare food, open crates, kill animals, defend yourself, wage war, start fires, and craft objects, and much more with but a knife.

Least useful: tamagachis. Seriously, you leave them alone during class and they die.

EDIT: I would say fire would be most useful, but we didn't really invent it, just discover how to create it ourselves.

reorith
2009-07-08, 09:51 PM
most useful: the 1911A1, John Moses Browning's magnum opus and the .45ACP +P cartridge. the +P stands for +pain!
most useless: idk, somethiong made by apple

Eon
2009-07-08, 09:55 PM
A) A nalgene water bottle.

B) and Tamagachi things

Gorgondantess
2009-07-08, 09:59 PM
Most Useful: Ehem. The wheel. No, seriously. Technology as we know it today without the wheel would not exist. The knife is a close second.
Least Useful: Off the top of my head, a clam shucker. It's a bloody knife, so why not just use a knife!?!? It does everything a knife could do but worse. Yes, even shucking clams.:smallyuk:

ghost_warlock
2009-07-08, 10:07 PM
Most useful:
http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/qq339/ghost_warlock/mjk086.jpg

Least useful:
{Scrubbed}

Terumitsu
2009-07-08, 10:13 PM
Most useful tool?

Language I would say. Communication is rather handy if one wants to tell others of this or that awesome tool they have.

Least useful tool?

Those crank operated apple peelers that slowly take off the skin of an apple... The apple, of course, has to be just the right shape, size, and type and it takes longer to do than if one used a knife... Though I like the skin on my apples anyway...

Ravens_cry
2009-07-08, 10:17 PM
I am not sure language, at least spoken, counts as a tool. We are made to use language, so it would be like saying the heart is the most important tool.
I am going for knife. From it, come all others, somewhere down the line.

Blackjackg
2009-07-08, 10:17 PM
Most useful tool is the inclined plane. Yes sir, you can talk about your knives and your screws, but not a one of them could exist without the inclined plane.

That or the towel.

Most useless is, without a doubt, the Snuggie (https://www.getsnuggie.com/flare/next).

Also known as... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h05ZQ7WHw8Y)

Partof1
2009-07-08, 10:20 PM
Most:I'd say an axe. The weight means one can cut larger things, but can still be used carefully like a knife if held differently. Not to mention the hammer side

Least:Citrus zester. Essentially a mini cheese grater that is used only to take strips of the peel off fruit to flavour things.

Erloas
2009-07-08, 10:27 PM
Most useful tool?

Language I would say. Communication is rather handy if one wants to tell others of this or that awesome tool they have.

Well someone beat me to the first non physical tool. But I was thinking a different one.

Math. Math is the cornerstone of every form of technology there is and has been for the longest time. Without math there isn't recording keeping, there isn't commerce, there isn't a way to put all of those simple tools like wheels and inclines and levers to more complex use.
edit: and to add more. Its just about the only tool that has been used by most people from thousands of years on an almost daily basis. And it is one of the very first things that a child learns. (even counting is basic math)

As for the least useful tool, well that is impossible to say. Because it would have to be on of the many tools someone invented and found some pointlessly impractical that they didn't even tell their friends about it. It would be something only 1 person in the history of the world has ever known about.

Berserk Monk
2009-07-08, 10:30 PM
Best tool? Three words:

Crowbar Crowbar Crowbar

Lupy
2009-07-08, 11:30 PM
Best tool:

Fire. The knife and wheel are very close second and third, but Fire is what makes civilization possible, scares animals, keeps you from freezing, etc.

Worst tool:

Protractors that warp slightly in the heat.

potatocubed
2009-07-09, 01:28 AM
The single physical tool that I make most use of is the knife, especially in its Swiss Army variant.

The most useless physical tool I can think of are safety scissors. I have yet to encounter a pair that will cut anything more solid than tapioca.

Ichneumon
2009-07-09, 01:31 AM
Most useful: speech
Least useful: speech

Ashtar
2009-07-09, 02:50 AM
I'll be different and say the most useful tool man invented is the Calendar! Giving him understanding of the seasons and allowing him to transition to an agricultural society.

The most useless tool humanity has invented is the personal rain saver:
http://www.hemmy.net/images/funny/uselessinvent10.jpg

reorith
2009-07-09, 03:42 AM
i thought your post said colander at first :smallfrown:
the rain saver seems pretty nifty, although i fail to see how making it portable is an advantage in a world with polar pure, buckets, and bandannas.

Bouregard
2009-07-09, 07:10 AM
Most usefull: Crowbar. If you need other things, just steal them with it.
Utterly useless: Cable finder for drilling jobs. If you find one, you will notice without one.

And regarding crowbars for anyone speaking german:
a little poem about crowbars i found...

Ode an die Brechstange (des Psychopaten Nachtgebet)

Oh wie kühn sind deine Kurven,
deine Form - vertraut und warm.
Wenn wir des nachts durch Wälder schlurfen,
halt ich dich in meinem Arm.

Ich streichle deine harten Züge,
Freude über komm'nde tat.
Wir sind verrückt? Das ist doch Lüge,
von dem der nichts zu freuen hat.

Die Finsternis ist unser Mantel,
raubt den Feinden ihre Sicht.
Ich bin die Wespe, die Tarantel,
die dich aus dem Dunkeln sticht.

Harter Stahl auf weiche Birne,
nie 'nen schöneren Ton es gab,
hau sie ein, die tumben Hirne,
wir sind verbunden bis in's Grab.

Charity
2009-07-09, 07:21 AM
I figure the most useful tool is the lever, possibly the simplest tool still in use today.

The least useful is always going to be out done by the next poster, so I will opt for the broad catagory of all those single use kitchen tools that clutter up everyones lives and could mostly be replaced with a knife.

also ^ if you've ever been electocuted and started an electrical fire behind the partition walls that you've just decorated, you might feel differently.

Ichneumon
2009-07-09, 07:23 AM
I figure the most useful tool is the lever, possibly the simplest tool still in use today.

Indeed, without levers we wouldn't be able to open doors.

Bouregard
2009-07-09, 07:35 AM
Indeed, without levers we wouldn't be able to open doors.

Crowbar again.
However doors are expensive...

And if we follow the almighty Hitchhickers guide to the galaxy a towel is also a great tool. So from now on I want to be buried with a crowbar and a towel.

Oh and about the cable finder, I was joking, I couldn't think of something useless. But as someone who once used one and managed to hit a cable (the finder said, there is nothing...) I tell you, screw that thing and just turn of power.

Charity
2009-07-09, 07:43 AM
Any unreliable tester is worse than no tester I totally agree.

Also, a crowbar is essentially a lever..

Agamid
2009-07-09, 07:47 AM
most useful: a knife.
most useless: just about anything from this website http://unix.rulez.org/%7Ecalver/pictures/japanese_inventions/index.html

onasuma
2009-07-09, 08:22 AM
most useful: a knife.
most useless: just about anything from this website http://unix.rulez.org/%7Ecalver/pictures/japanese_inventions/index.html

You may say knife now, but clearly you havent ever seen this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x22yNaLdiGA)

Charity
2009-07-09, 08:41 AM
I forgot the obvious
http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/0/2835/123989-99515_super.jpg

Archonic Energy
2009-07-09, 09:15 AM
I forgot the obvious
http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/0/2835/123989-99515_super.jpg

*sigh* :smallsigh:

C, those people running around in that little box aren't real...
except when England/Britain are winning something

Charity
2009-07-09, 09:33 AM
*sigh* :smallsigh:

C, those people running around in that little box aren't real...

Lalalala I'm not listening (http://www.sparrowmorgan.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/00002qqk.jpg)

http://www.strangezoo.com/images/content/4316.jpg

thubby
2009-07-10, 10:31 AM
most useful: fire. the overwhelming majority of tools and technologies are created with or harness the power of fire.

least useful: mustard gas? so far as i know it's only purpose is as a weapon and it's a terrible one at that.

reorith
2009-07-10, 10:55 AM
Crowbar again.
However doors are expensive...

by definition, a crowbar is a lever

SDF
2009-07-10, 11:00 AM
most useful: the 1911A1, John Moses Browning's magnum opus and the .45ACP +P cartridge. the +P stands for +pain!

Who puts +P in an old 1911? The frame isn't built for it, and you'll just end up ruining the thing!

least useful: mustard gas? so far as i know it's only purpose is as a weapon and it's a terrible one at that.

Mustard gas is where chemotherapy comes from, and has saved millions of lives.

MOST: The modern cell phone. Srsly, I don't need maps, a compass, letters, a camera, a watch, ect., ect. anymore. It's freaking amazing.

LEAST: The razor blade slot in airplane bathrooms. Are people actually shaving in there? /Seinfeld.

Thanatos 51-50
2009-07-10, 11:05 AM
Most useful: The heavy stick. It's lead to so many technical advances, sustained fire, braine dprey, been used to defend oneself from predetors, eventually sharpened to do things BETTER. Eventually had sharp rocks tied to it. Really, quite a useful gadget.

Least Useful: Those little superflorus buckles on some modern backpacks.

Zanaril
2009-07-10, 11:07 AM
And if we follow the almighty Hitchhickers guide to the galaxy a towel is also a great tool. So from now on I want to be buried with a crowbar and a towel

I'd rather be burried with a shovel and one of those things to pull nails/screws out. If I can use them at that point, I'll want them.

Most useful? A knife.
Can't think of a least useful thing.

Telonius
2009-07-10, 11:38 AM
Several candidates for most useful.

The hammer. This tool hasn't changed its basic design in at least 30,000 years. Let that sink in: 30,000 years' worth of human ingenuity have been unable to improve on the basic design. While many professionals now use nail guns, and heavy industry has had jackhammers and other machine-powered hammers for a while, it remains in use in nearly every household. For sheer longevity, it has to be up there.

Written communication. Vital to information transfer. Information can be transferred without it, but only over the course of years of hands-on learning. Greatly accelerated the development of all other technologies that came after it.

The Hindu-Arabic numeral system. Math worked well enough before it, but it didn't really get going until we added in zero.

The Jenner vaccine. Saved millions of lives, went a long way to finally eradicating smallpox, and provided proof of concept for future vaccination efforts.

Least useful: The motorized ice cream cone. No, really. (http://www.freepatentsonline.com/5971829.html)

thubby
2009-07-10, 01:43 PM
Several candidates for most useful.

The hammer. This tool hasn't changed its basic design in at least 30,000 years. Let that sink in: 30,000 years' worth of human ingenuity have been unable to improve on the basic design. While many professionals now use nail guns, and heavy industry has had jackhammers and other machine-powered hammers for a while, it remains in use in nearly every household. For sheer longevity, it has to be up there.

i'm sure there's an engineer somewhere facepalming.

Coidzor
2009-07-10, 01:50 PM
Well, yeah, if it's not broken, don't fix it. knives and hammers are mostly improved through materials tech than re-design anyway. Though things like folding technology have definitely had their impact on knives and not so much on hammers....

reorith
2009-07-10, 01:58 PM
Well, yeah, if it's not broken, don't fix it. knives and hammers are mostly improved through materials tech than re-design anyway. Though things like folding technology have definitely had their impact on knives and not so much on hammers....

brb, making a folding hammer.

Jack Squat
2009-07-10, 08:32 PM
brb, making a folding hammer.

somebody already 1-up'd you (http://www.uncrate.com/men/images/2009/01/kick-axe.jpg)

chiasaur11
2009-07-10, 08:40 PM
Screwdriver.

The reasons should be obvious.

Jalor
2009-07-10, 08:54 PM
The lever is still king.

Yarram
2009-07-10, 11:04 PM
I dunno about pocket knives... Wouldn't larger knives be more useful for more things? Pocket knifes, while I use mine all the time, don't have as much practical value as a larger knife...

I'd say computers are the most useful tools though. Look what we've done with them!

Least useful would have to be something like a teflon bath-mat or a helicopter ejection seat.

reorith
2009-07-11, 01:27 AM
I dunno about pocket knives... Wouldn't larger knives be more useful for more things? Pocket knifes, while I use mine all the time, don't have as much practical value as a larger knife...

lol wut? do you field dress large mammals while cutting down trees and playing rambo on a daily basis? please, provide an example from your life experience of a time in which you needed some sort of knife larger than a typical pocketknife to accomplish.

anything over two inches is pure impracticality and only necessitated by freudian transference.

Icewalker
2009-07-11, 01:32 AM
Best...depends on what you qualify as a tool. Mathematics? I might have to go with knife, as well.

As to worst...I really have no idea. I feel like I should have something hilarious, but nothing great comes to mind, unfortunately.

Lorn
2009-07-11, 01:34 AM
Aside from those mentioned, I'd have to honestly say pliers are the most useful. You can use them as hammers - albeit not good - and they can bend things together OR rip them apart. I've taken down car CD players (rescuing CDs etc) with pliers.

Least useless... bread knife. Because ANY OTHER knife will do.

Vaynor
2009-07-11, 01:49 AM
Most useful tool: knife

Least useful tool: solar-powered flashlight (http://www.solareagle.com/sunmate_flash.html). Yeah, seriously.

Cryssandra
2009-07-11, 01:54 AM
Least useful tool: solar-powered flashlight (http://www.solareagle.com/sunmate_flash.html). Yeah, seriously.

They make those?!?!
Haha!!!1

J.B. Ganning
2009-07-11, 02:56 AM

Considering that it recharges in the day time and provides three hours of power when fully charged, I think it's pretty useful. Saves a few bucks, and floats. All you need is a rubber ducky switch and you got yourself the best (instant) safety precaution when taking a bath at night during a thunderstorm.

Vaynor
2009-07-11, 03:20 AM
Considering that it recharges in the day time and provides three hours of power when fully charged, I think it's pretty useful. Saves a few bucks, and floats. All you need is a rubber ducky switch and you got yourself the best (instant) safety precaution when taking a bath at night during a thunderstorm.

You've gotta admit though, the idea is pretty damned ridiculous.

Ninja Chocobo
2009-07-11, 03:45 AM
Least useless... bread knife. Because ANY OTHER knife will do.

In my experience a non-serrated knife will either not work or ruin the bread, and one serrated more heavily will ruin the bread.

Hazkali
2009-07-11, 04:15 AM
I rarely go anywhere without my pocket knife. Scissors, knife, corkscrew, tweezers, bottle and can openers...I've even used the hook (good for getting wire tent pegs out of the ground) and the borer. For general, Western life I don't think there is a better tool.

Green Bean
2009-07-11, 04:23 AM
In life, you only need two tools; duct tape and WD-40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40.

Thanatos 51-50
2009-07-11, 05:30 AM
In life, you only need two tools; duct tape and WD-40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40.

What about if it moves, but shouldn't if you want to eat it, and you're starving to death?

Tar Palantir
2009-07-11, 07:35 AM
Most useful: short handled shovel. Digging+zombie killing=:smallbiggrin:
Most useless: Survivor: The Interactive Game. It's only use is as an impetus to suicide.

Green Bean
2009-07-11, 09:11 AM
What about if it moves, but shouldn't if you want to eat it, and you're starving to death?

Tape together a shovel, dig a hole, then grease the sides. :smallbiggrin:

thubby
2009-07-11, 10:18 AM
In my experience a non-serrated knife will either not work or ruin the bread, and one serrated more heavily will ruin the bread.

can't say I've ever had that problem, you can always use the back of the knife.