PDA

View Full Version : Help with a major NPC (my players stay out!) [3.5]

Piedmon_Sama
2009-07-09, 02:21 PM
That's right Raku, I know you browse this board. Go no further. O_O

~~~

So the party in my low-magic, high-tech-meets-schizo-history campaign setting just reached 10th level. The time has come to set the wheels in motion for my final story arc, or at least the last I can think of--by the time this story ends, the PCs will have thwarted the birth of an Evil God, saved the main pantheon, defeated the Forces of Cosmic Law/Balance, and won the undying gratitude and fame of all known kingdoms. If, you know, they don't get wiped out.

And now it's time to move things towards that end, with the introduction of my ultimate villain. This will take some explaining, but I'll try to be succinct... actually, having just written it all, I'll put it in spoilers and say you can read it if you want, or you can just look down and help me stat out this guy.

Backstory: The largest civilization in this campaign is the Luxan Empire, strongly based on Julio-Claudian Rome and centered around the city of Luxor. Their major neighbors include the "Client Kingdoms," (sort of like protectorates with a large degree of autonomy) of Arcadonia (think Castillan troubadour culture in the frozen north) and Wahfferpache (actually more than a dozen independent kingdoms/enclaves, think Beowulf-era nordic countries with pre-Roman German elements). The two most important independent factions are the Gnomish Republic (which appeared 100 years ago and shot this setting out of the Middle Ages into a Steampunk milleu) and Hyksete (ancient Egypt), both have good relations with the Empire and the only work for the Legions these days is "monster hunting" (particularly on the border of the Dwarfguard Mountains where wild Trolls and other giantkin roam).

In both the Empire and Hyksete, people worship The Nine Divines ( http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Nine_Divines) (although the portrayals and importance of gods vary; the Luxans practice Emperor-Worship in the godhead of "Talos Augustus," the Hyksetians replace Talos with the "Living God" their own Pharaoh). I've never played Elder Scrolls and I would have preferred to stick with real mythology over these gods, but my most active player was insistent. And we had a Monk trained by Pai-Mei, (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kill_Bill) a Demi-God of Martial Arts in this setting, so I was like "whatever."

There are, however, other gods and not all of them belong to foreign cultures. The players have run into the Cult of Mithras (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mithraic_cult) among some Legionnares, for one example. Dionysus and Orpheus (who is Wotan to the Wahfferpacheans) are also running around, though they haven't come into the story yet. For the most part these gods are content to have only their small cults, but there are some gods no mortal wise or sane would bend his knee to.

Among these is Orcus (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orcus), not quite the Demon Prince of Undead and not quite the actual Italian god, but some melding of the two that I made up. Here's the thing: just as the Nine aren't the only pantheon of deities around, they're not really all-powerful (just very powerful); deities can be defeated and even "slain"---usually when two cultures meet in battle in this setting, their deities are up on high clashing in the heavens, too. The annihilation of a culture means the annihilation of its gods. Well, that happened to Orcus, who was one of the prime seats (thrones, if you will) of the underworld and ruled the undead, worshipped by ghouls and vampires and served by numberless ghosts and skeletal legions and the like in what is present-day Hyksete. The Nine kicked his ass millennia back when the first Luxans were still figuring out how to tie a loincloth, BUT

Orcus' worship survived among the Corpse-Kings (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hopping_vampire) of the Far East, who propitiated his worship as the guardian at the gates of death and insurer of their vile immortality. Millennia passed and the Cult of Orcus crept back into the west with unnoticeable slowness; among the Elves, who live long but would wish to live forever, it took some root and from there spread back into the Nines' own realm. His small cult consists of a handful of Necromancers and their hangers-on, who wish to revive Orcus to his full power and create a world where they will be an immortal ruling caste over the numberless servile undead. This kind of supernatural pyramid scheme has attracted the Emperor's own nephew and the youngest Consul to serve before the Luxan Senate, born Lucius Domitius Ahenobarbus, adopted Claudius Caesar Augustus Germanicus, better known as Nero.

It just so happens that Orcus' strength waxes with the Dog Star, which will be in ascendancy at a given time this year. In the wastelands of Hyksete lie the ruins of a once-magnificent temple, 5,000 years old, dedicated by the foul rites of Orcus' worship and still guarded by a ghoulish cadre of undead. The human branch of the cult, by now under the charismatic Nero's virtual leadership, learned of these ruins and discovered an ancient artifact among the rubble: a sword somehow perfectly preserved through the millennia, with enchantments as powerful as they were vile and anathemic to life. From communing with fiendish voices, the Cultists learned the sword was a tool: deep beneath the Hyksetian Temple lay a chamber of pure black granite, into which a passage admitted the light of only the Dog Star at its greatest ascendency. Filled with the pure light of that star, the chamber would be readied, and the sword would focus a ritual that would restore Orcus to his full power and potency, not in the heavens but on the earth itself.

Unbeknownst to the fanatic cultists, Nero has no intention of reviving Orcus. From what he understands, the ritual could be just as easily turned to give birth to a new god. Oh, he knows even better than his debauched and dead granddad Tiberas or his now-senile and doddering uncle Claudius how the Godhead of Talos and the Imperial Cult is more myth than man. He doesn't buy that bit about the Undying Spirit passing from one Imperator to the next, even as heir to the Imperium. Nero would much rather do it himself, be reborn as an immortal god in the here and now, and remake this earth with an artist's touch.

Nero is well aware that the mechanisms of his downfall are even now in motion. He can mask his evil to mortals, but not to the gods, and the cleric of Zenithaar Alphonse Arcanus (this is my friend's PC) and his companions have been chosen by Zenithaar and the nine to destroy this evil and save the world. Nero was told this himself by an oracle of the gods (before he killed her to hide the evidence), and, knowing that Arcanus is predestined to stop him, he's been sending assassins after the party for months now (in-game and out).

Now it's time to meet Nero for real. The party just completed a mission across the world on behalf of Zenithaar, saving a city from the Kuo-Toa and their cthonic deity, and now Zenithaar will whisk them back to the villa of Alphonse's father in the mid-northern province of Gallicia (Al himself is, basically, a Romanized gaul). There, Alphonse's brother Emmanual (a junior senator in Luxor and a personal friend of Consul Nero) is getting married to the daughter of a prominent local family. Nero will be best man and prominent, as he always is, in the festivities. And of course, he is taking the opportunity to make yet another move on Alphonse's life: he's hired a Wizard named Moses Magnor (level 7, armed with some higher-level scrolls) to pose as the evening's entertainment and assassinate Alphonse using a luminous assassin. This will, of course, not work as planned and in the ensuing battle Nero will get scarce rather than reveal himself.

With all that said, here's Nero:

Nero, v. 1.0 - Human Fighter 10/Rogue 3, CR 13; HD: 10d10+3d6+33 (124 HP); Init: +3; Spd: 30 ft. (6 sqrs); AC: 27 (+2 armor, +3 dex, +9 class +2 dodge) Touch 24 FF 12; BaB/Grp: +12/+5, +14; Attacks: Black Sword +17 melee (1d8+5+2d6+1 Con 15-20/x2 slash), or MW pistol (hidden) +15 ranged 30 ft. (1d10 x3 pierce) or MW Cane Sword (hidden) +14 melee (1d6+2 18-20/x2 slash) or Iron Rickenbacker +14 melee (1d10+3 x2 bludg.); Full Attack: Black Sword +17/+10 melee (1d8+7+2d6+1 Con 15-20/x2 slash); S/R: 5 ft/5 ft; SA: Sneak Attack +2d6; SQ: Evasion, Detect Traps, Trapsense +1, DR 2/- from armor; Svs: Fort +9 Ref +8 Will +4; Abilities: Str 15, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 14, Wis 12, Cha 17
Traits, Flaws, Skills & Feats: Absent-Minded [Trait], Cautious [Trait], Coward [Flaw], Unobservant [Flaw], Dodge, Weapon Focus [Spatha], Combat Expertise, Combat Reflexes, Improved Feint, Mobility, Improved Trip, Weapon Specialization [Spatha], Spring Attack, Einhander [Tactical], Improved Critical [Spatha], Acrobatic Strike, Elusive Target [Tactical], Combat Panache [Tactical]
Tumble +19, Jump +12, Intimidate +11, Bluff +19, Knowledge [Religion] +8, Knowledge [Nobility & Royalty] +8, Knowledge [Geography] +5, Knowledge [History] +5, Ride +13, Handle Animal +8, Diplomacy +16, Perform +13, Perform [Break It Down] +8, [Sleight of Hand +10, Appraise +4

[b]Gear: The Black Sword, Cane Sword, MW Mithril Breastplate, Iron Rickenbacker, Berzerker Powder

The Black Sword: +2 Keen Unholy Longsword of Wounding (total value: +6)

Berzerker Powder: Ground from a rare mushroom grown only in the towering mountains that cut primitive Wahfferpache off from the Empire proper. When snorted, this powder grants +8 Str, +8 Con, -2 Dex and a feeling of euphoric invincibility. Lasts a number of rounds equal to 3 plus the user's (improved) con score, deals the user 2 damage/round. Can utilize any feat except Combat Expertise, and no skills involving prolonged concentration. Nero will snort a pinch of this stuff when he's finally mad and desperate enough to dispense with his usual dancing, combat-expertised shenannigans and rant about his godhood and his dead mother at length while swinging wildly.

NOTES: This character uses the variant rules Armor as DR and a class bonus to AC (the class bonus stacks with the armor's reduced value). We don't use alignment in my campaign; instead aligned spells and items affect whoever your Patron Deity declares his enemy at the moment (so Nero's sword will do its extra damage against neutral party members, even).

Another note on the lack of magical gear: Nero and Alphonse Arcanus are the only characters in this campaign who wield magical weapons. Everyone else has masterwork materials at best. Alphonse received his weapon at level 3 as a +1 Warhammer, and over time it's scaled into a +2 Holy Warhammer. Nero's weapon scales likewise, so when he finally faces them it should be +3 and have one more cool ability.

What I feel like I need help with, primarily, is feat selection. I want Nero to basically be an irritating opponent who can move out of threatened squares with almost virtual impunity, trip and embarrass his enemies (who would be expecting an effete aristocrat), and come in from behind for a devastating backstab when they least expect it. I don't think he needs a high AB with his wide crit threat, so I don't mind sacrificing it to achieve this. Lastly, I'd like advice on the Berzerker Powder I homebrewed---I want it to lie in wait as Nero's last dramatic trump card, when the PCs have finally got him cornered and low on HP or made him fail to reach the Black Chamber of Orcus in time. Any suggestions/build advice is greatly appreciated, TIA.

Doc Roc
2009-07-09, 02:25 PM
I need to know more about your players before I can help. A LOT more.

Piedmon_Sama
2009-07-09, 02:41 PM
Here:

Note: For some, under 'skills' you'll see P.T. That's Physical Training: 8 skill points gets you a one-time only stat increase of 2 in Str, Dex or Con (you can take P.T for multiple stats but ony one for each). One more way I'm trying to offset the lack of magic items in this campaign.

Valda Eberhardt, Human Fighter 10; Medium-Sized Humanoid; HD: 10d10+30 (104 hp); Init: +1; Spd: 20ft (platemail); AC 24 (+1 Dex, +4 full plate, +9 class); Touch 20, FF 14; BaB/Grp: +10/5, +14; Attacks: MW Greatsword +20 melee (2d6+15 17-20/x2 slash), or Mighty Composite Longbow +11 ranged (1d8+3 x3 pierce) full attack: MW Greatsword +20/+15 melee (2d6+15 17-20/x2 slash); Space/Reach: 5x5 ft; SQ: DR 4/- from armor; SA: None; Saves: Fort +7, Ref +3, Will +3; Abilities: Str 20, Dex 13, Con 16, Int 13, Wis 10, Cha 10
Skills & Feats: Pride of Arms [Flaw], Code of Arms [Flaw], Weapon Focus, Greater Weapon Focus, Weapon Specialization, Great Cleave, Power Attack, Improved Critical, Improved Sunder, Improved Bull Rush, Quick Draw, Combat Brute, Melee Weapon Mastery [Slash], Monkey Grip, Power Critical
Intimidate +7, Climb +7*, Jump +7*, Swim +2*, Handle Animal +5, Ride +8, P.T [Str] 4
*Armor check penalty -5
Gear
Masterwork Plate harness, Masterwork Greatsword, 2 knives, Oil of Magic Weapon, trail rations/dayx2, waterskins x3, torches x3, 50 ft. hemp rope, grappling hook, flint and steel, backpack, bedroll, 20 arrows/quiver, 4 copper pieces, and a weird white rock.

~~~~

Alphonse Arcanus, Human Cleric 10; CR 10; HD: 10d8+30 (94 hp); Init: -7; Spd: 20 ft. (platemail) AC: 24 (-1 Dex, +4 Plate, +2 Shield, +9 Class) Touch 20, FF 15; BaB/Grp: +7/+2, +10; Attacks: +2 Holy Warhammer, +13 (1d8+5, +2d6 v. evil x2 bludg.); Full Attack: +2 Holy Warhammer +13/+7 (1d8+5, +2d6 v. evil x2 bludg.); S/R: 5 ftx5ft; SQ: DR 4/- from armor; SA: Turn Undead +3 4/day; Svs: Fort +10, Ref +3, Will +10; Abilities: Str 14 (16), Con 16, Dex 9, Int 10, Wis 18, Cha 13
Skills, Flaws & Feats: Weapon Focus: Warhammer [Domain], Combat Casting, Power Attack, Extend Spell, Still Spell, Divine Justice, Unreactive [Flaw]
Knowledge [Religion] +5, Concentration +17, Diplomacy +15, Sense Motive +5, Listen +5, Spot +5, Bluff +2, Ride +0
Languages: Common, Draconic
Spell DC Mod: +4
Spells/Day:
0-Level (DC 14): 6
1st-Level (DC 15): 6+1
2nd-Level (DC 16): 5+1
3rd-Level (DC 17): 4+1
4th-Level (DC 18): 3+1
5th-Level (DC 19): 1+1
Gear: Masterwork Full Plate, Masterwork Heavy Steel Shield, +2 Holy Warhammer, Gauntlets of Ogre Strength +2

COHORT:
Stephen, Human Rogue 3/Fighter 5; HD: 3d6+5d10+16 (67 hp); Init: +3; Spd: 30 ft. (6 squares); AC: 21 (+1 studded leather, +3 dex, +7 class) Touch 20, FF 11; BaB/Grp: +7/+9; Attacks: MW Longsword +11 melee (1d8+2, 19-20/x2 slash) or Light Crossbow +10 ranged 80 ft. (1d8 x2 pierce); Full Attack: Same; S/R: 5 ftx5 ft; SA: Sneak Attack +2d6; SQ: trapfinding, evasion, trap sense +1, DR 1/- from armor; Svs: Fort +8, Ref +8, Will +1; Abilities: Str 15, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 13, Wis 8, Cha 10
Skills/Feats: Dodge, Weapon Focus: Longsword, Mobility, Combat Expertise, Spring Attack, Bounding Assault, Einhander
Balance +10, Climb +6, Jump +11, Tumble +14, Intimidate +4, Perform: Oral Poetry +1, Profession: Cook +4, Ride +7, Handle Animal +6, Bluff +8, Survival +5, Knowledge: History +4, Craft: Armor Repair +5, Swim +4
Gear: Masterwork studded leather armor, Masterwork longsword, light crossbow & 40 bolts

~~~~

F.F Fizzlebottom, Gnome Bard 9; CR 9; HD: 9d6+9 (52 hp); Init: +2; Spd: 20 ft (4 squares); AC: 21 (+2 Dex, +2 studded leather, +7 Class) Touch 19, FF 12; BaB/Grp: +6/+1, +1; Attacks: Gnomish 4-Barrel Revolving Ball-Musket +8 ranged 80 ft. (2d4+1/shot, x4); Full Attack: Same; S/R: 5x5 ft.; SQ: DR 1/- from armor, Gnome Traits, Bardic Knowledge, Countersong, Fascinate, Inspire Courage +2, Inspire Competence, Inspire Greatness; SA: N/A; Svs: Fort +3, Ref +8, Will +7; Abilities: Str 8, Con 13, Dex 14, Int 14, Wis 12, Cha 20 (22);
Skills & Feats: Extra Music, Ironskin Chant, Requiem, 1 unchosen feat
Perform [Joke-Telling] +18, Concentration +13, Bluff +18, Balance +12*, Tumble +12*, Jump +2*, Intimidate +8, Sleight of Hand +5*, Disguise +10, Hide +12*, Escape Artist +13*, Knowledge [Local] +7, Gather Information +9, Ride +3
Languages: Common, Gnomish, Orcish, Abyssal, Draconic, Goblin, Elven and Dwarven
Spell DC Mod: +6
Spells/Day:
0-level (DC 16): 3
1st-level (DC 17): 4
2nd-level (DC 18): 4
3rd-level (DC 19): 3
Spells Known:
0-Level: Dancing Lights, Open/Close, Prestidigation
1st-Level: Disguise Self, Feather Fall, Charm Person
2nd-Level: Mirror Image, Cure Moderate Wounds, Glitterdust
3rd-Level: Blink, Haste, Glibness
Gear: Studded Leather Armor, Gnomish 4-Barrel Musket, Powder keg, musket balls (in speed-loading bands), roll of cigars, Cloak of Charisma +2

--There's also a Druidess who just came up from level 8 to 9, but she sent me her stats in longhand and I have to type them up later. This is her player's first 3.5 and second D&D game ever so she doesn't really know what she's doing yet. >_>

Acrux
2009-07-09, 03:02 PM
Is this the campaign with Cromwell in it? Because I'm really wanting to know how that one is panning out!

Piedmon_Sama
2009-07-09, 03:07 PM
Is this the campaign with Cromwell in it? Because I'm really wanting to know how that one is panning out!

The one and the same. Cromwell and Charles XII of Sweden will be appearing later on down the line as part of a subplot involving Valda (who's an escapee from... well, a version of our world that was destroyed by the awakening of the Great Old Ones), they're with those "forces of cosmic law and balance" I was talking about.

EDIT: On a side-note, I've been considering making Cromwell a hellbred so he can wear villainous spiky black armor and still lug around a Smite attack, the rationale being he was a pious man in life but obviously has a lot to atone for. Charles, I just have this idea of making him some kind of Undead so he can have magical power/smoke trailing from the still-open holes on either of his temples (he got a bullet in one side of his head and out the other IRL). Does anyone have a suggestion what kind of Undead would work for Charles? (he'd be a high level Swashbuckler/some kind of mounted PrC I think, Cromwell either Fighter/Pious Templar or Fighter/Cavalier? Unless he can get into both, these are gonna be high-level NPCs).

Yakk
2009-07-09, 03:47 PM
22.75 average per hit damage (assuming standard crit rules), plus 1 con damage (against these targets, that is is +5 damage).

27.75 damage per hit on average.

This is upped by +5.2 by the powder, hitting 32.95 damage per hit.

No power attack makes this pretty flat.

Sneak attack is skipped. Need to factor that in.

+21 standard, +21/+16/+11 full (you missed the 3rd attack). HP is actually 172 (assuming powder). AC is actually 26 (assuming powder).

On someone with 24 AC (heh), that's a 3+ 8+ 13+ to hit, or 1.95 hits/round FA.
64.2525 DPR -- enough to drop anyone in the party in 2 rounds.

With SA, this ups to 82 DPR. If the target is flat-footed, Nero could easily kill the fighter in a single full attack (let alone anyone else).

Pure melee analysis of party:
Valda is putting out 32.95 average damage per hit at +20/+15.

Let's target someone with 26 AC.

FA: .75+.5+.25 = 1.5 hits/round @ 26.4 = 39.6 DPR.
SA: .75 hits/round @ 26.4 = 19.8 DPR.

Power attack could up this, as could buffs.

Alphonse: 17.325 average per hit at +13/+7.

FA: 0.55 hits/round @ 17.325 = 9.52875 DPR.
SA: 0.4 hits/round @ 17.325 = 6.93 DPR.

Cohort: 7.15 average per hit at +11/+6
FA: .35 hits/round = 2.5025 DPR
SA: .3 hits/round = 2.145 DPR

FF: No significant contribution.

So in a strait-up melee fight, with no use of feats, the NPC wins.

I neglected armor as DR -- just multiply your hits/round by the target's DR to see what it does to your DPR. The DR amounts are pretty small, so the impact shouldn't be huge.

Buffing can change this. Do you have a typical description of the buffing your party does?

---

Possible options: Save to Suck on Nero. +9/+8/+4 saves aren't that hard to overwealm, given DCs of 19 for the top-level spells of your PCs. If the party can keep Nero pinned down for a few rounds, and they can use a save-or-suck spell...

Nero might fight from surprise or with allies. Having the ability to deal sneak attack damage would change the "time until I kill you" on even the fighter down to about 3 rounds. And it would just drop the gnome.

Killing nero with HP damage, once you take the powder into account, is not very practical. Nero's damage output is just too large for them to wittle Nero down before the party drops. If Nero chews Alphonse up first, we are talking 2 lucky rounds (or 1 lucky round with SA) to drop him.

---

Have you thought about building Nero in an emulation style? Instead of as an NPC-via-PC mechanics?

Because as written, Nero is a "use magic to defeat him, or lose" target. Delaying the use of the powder will give the PCs some time before Nero tears them a new one.

Of course, with that low will save (+4) it wouldn't be hard for the Cleric or Bard to pick some "you suck" spell and win.

I mean Glitterdust spam to force Nero to roll a 14+ per round or be screwed (lose dex to AC and another 2 for good measure) and apply a 50% miss chance. Which means Nero has to nullify the bard before the Bard nullifies Nero.

The same is true of the cleric .. maybe. Depending on what spells the cleric usually has up.

So: if the combat goes as you describe, the players will be torn to bits. Nero's damage output is ridiculous compared to PC HP.

If the players simply save-or-suck Nero, Nero will probably drop into a quivering worthless heap. (assuming they target will) Which doesn't match your described plot of being impressive.

Or did I miss something?

HamsterOfTheGod
2009-07-09, 04:51 PM
You may want to consider giving Nero some levels of blackguard, say ftr 6/rog 2/blackguard 5. Same bab, hp and sneak attack but better saves (add charisma bonus to saves).

You loose 2 feats (say 2 Einhander and Improved Critical) but gain smite, a fiendish servant (which can stay in the background until neeeded) and, if you bumb up his wisdom by 2 points, annoying spells like darkness, deeper darkness, shatter, wave of grief, zeal and at higher levels, freedom of movement, revenance, and winged mount (or really any spells you deem sufficently annoying and within the scope of the character).

Piedmon_Sama
2009-07-09, 04:59 PM
+21 standard, +21/+16/+11 full (you missed the 3rd attack). HP is actually 172 (assuming powder). AC is actually 26 (assuming powder).

Doesn't a 10th level Fighter only gets 2 attacks? o_O
Also how'd you get attack #2 that high? He has 12/5 BaB + 2 Str (14/7), +2 enhancement (16/9), and focus +1 (17/10), add +4 for the 'shrooms and that's 21/14 I believe.

Buffing can change this. Do you have a typical description of the buffing your party does?

Yes. Fizzlebottom casts haste on Valda and Alphonse, then he gets far away. Sometimes he shoots at things with his wheely popgun but that's about all he can do. Alphonse casts Divine Might on himself, but now that he's just leveled up I suspect it will be Righteous Might from now on. He fires Searing Light into the mobs before he wades in but after he gets hasted, so he can go double-barreled. Alphonse and Valda usually move to either side of whatever they're fighting (if it's a single huge monster) or fight shoulder-to-shoulder (if it's a mob of minions). Stephen's high tumble means he can almost always get to the rear of the enemy untouched and you might as well factor in his flank bonus, although he's never actually hit a serious enemy that I can recall.

I'm aware the party could be much more dangerous if Fizzlebottom would throw down glitterdust first but honestly, F.F and Alphonse are played by the same guy who also runs Stephen in combat and he never remembers. >_>

---

Possible options: Save to Suck on Nero. +9/+8/+4 saves aren't that hard to overwealm, given DCs of 19 for the top-level spells of your PCs. If the party can keep Nero pinned down for a few rounds, and they can use a save-or-suck spell...

Yeah, this is my big fear. By level 14 or whenever they fight him I can't believe Alphonse won't have finally figured out to use his "unchivalrous" spells. Nero's will save isn't going to get much better, and I feel like I'd just be being cheap if I gave him an amulet of SR 15 or something.... I've been pretty stiff about magic being rare in this setting. Alphonse had to perform a quest for the hidden Mages' Guild just to get his +2 Gauntlets.

Nero might fight from surprise or with allies. Having the ability to deal sneak attack damage would change the "time until I kill you" on even the fighter down to about 3 rounds. And it would just drop the gnome.

If he comes out of the shadows and strikes at the rear (possible, the final battle will be in a subterranean labyrinth/temple) that's probably where Fizzlebottom would be. :p

---

Have you thought about building Nero in an emulation style? Instead of as an NPC-via-PC mechanics?

Emulation style? What's that?

Because as written, Nero is a "use magic to defeat him, or lose" target. Delaying the use of the powder will give the PCs some time before Nero tears them a new one.

I was honestly thinking when I designed him that he might go down too easily. O_o

Or did I miss something?

Valda always power attacks for 5 at the least. And she is about to get a Masterwork Large Greatsword custom-forged for her as soon as the party returns to the Empire (notice her new Monkey Grip).

Piedmon_Sama
2009-07-10, 04:22 AM
Down to page 2 with 2 replies? I was hoping for more ideas than that. :/

I'll bump it this once and leave it to the waves if nobody else has suggestions. Here's something more, though: the prelude to the final battle with Nero will have the players allying with the local Imperial garrison (Legio XVI War-Pigs and XIX Harvesters of Sorrow) and the various races of Hyksete under the command of the Pharoah (an EL 20 semi-divine being of some sort, I'll get to that later) against an army of the dead (basically, beneath the sands of Hyksete lie armies of undead warriors bound to defend the tombs of Pharaohs past; the Cult of Orcus uses vile magic to take control of these inert legions and unleash them on the living). Nero, of course, shows up briefly for the main battle before departing to betray the Cult and fulfill his own ambitions. But he first shows up riding this.

Nero's Mount
Infernal Tyranosaurus
Gargantuan Size Magical Beast [Extraplanar]
HD: 37d8+194 (342 HP)
Init: +1
Spd: 40 ft.
AC: 22 (-3 Size, +1 Dex, +14 Natural) Touch 8, FF 21
BaB/Grp: +27/+48
Attack: Bite +33 (3d6+9)
Full Attack: Bite +33 (3d6+9)
S/R: 15/10 ft.
SA: Smite Good 1/day (+20 damage)
SQ: Cold & Fire Resistance 10, DR 10/magic, SR 25, Darkvision 60 ft.
Saves: Fort +29, Ref +21, Will +16
Abilities: Str 28, Dex 12, Con 21, Int 3, Wis 15, Cha 10
Skills: [19 more skill points]
Feats: Alertness, Improved Natural Attack [Bite], Run, Toughness [3], Track, Power Attack, Improved Overrun, Snatch, Improved Natural Armor [3]

It shows up to terrify the armies of civilization, kill a lesser villain NPC if he's still buzzing around by then, and generally wreck **** up (not to mention help keep the Living God Pharaoh busy while the PCs solve things.)

Triaxx
2009-07-10, 09:24 AM
Wait, how the ... did he get that in a LOW magic campaign?

Give Nero a speed advantage and shift him to hit and run attacks. That way you can drop in, stab two people and then retreat. Especially if he drops alchemical devices.

Douglas
2009-07-10, 09:44 AM
Doesn't a 10th level Fighter only gets 2 attacks? o_O
Yes. A Fighter 10/Rogue 3 gets 3, though.

Also how'd you get attack #2 that high? He has 12/5 BaB + 2 Str (14/7), +2 enhancement (16/9), and focus +1 (17/10), add +4 for the 'shrooms and that's 21/14 I believe.
You're doing iteratives wrong. The slashes and numbers after them in individual class tables are there only for convenience and are only correct for single class characters. What really matters is total BAB. If your BAB is 6-10, you get two attacks. If it's 11-15, you get three. If it's 16+, you get four. Each iterative attack is at the same bonus as the previous attack -5. He has BAB 12/7/2. Basically, take total BAB for the first attack and keep subtracting 5 and adding another attack until you can't add another one without going below 1.

Swiftest
2009-07-10, 03:22 PM
I second the recommendation to make him a spring attack fighter of sorts. It just seems to be the way an aristocrat like him would fight. He doesn't necessarily need to *have* spring attack, but some mechanic that would let him move in to attack, then get away without injury would be preferable as I see it. edit: And yet apparently I missed the obvious spring attack and requisite feats in his feat list. Who knew reading was so hard? :D

Triaxx's idea of limiting player mobility with alchemical devices is good. Maybe Nero has thought ahead enough to set up a couple of improved tanglefoot bag type traps and/or devices to hurt the parties' speed in a critical moment? Or perhaps he's got a scroll of expeditious retreat up his sleeve for +30 speed when it really counts that he can and enough skill to UMD it in a pinch. Something quick and easy is fine so long as he uses it effectively.

Once he has the speed advantage he darts in, takes a couple of pot shots at the bard, hopefully drops him, then retreats behind traps/cover/allies to regroup. He doesn't seem the sort of fighter who would come out in the open and take the party head on unless forced to, so this way of fighting would suit him, I'd think. If he's going to have allies, I would not give him anything but meat shields -- perhaps zombies? Something to occupy the pc's for at most 1-2 rounds, if only by blocking the way, but enough to buy him time.

Also, if you really want Nero to be a combat threat the way you've built him, I'd at least consider adding power attack. I know it's not necessarily his style, but anyone who has used a sword for any length of time would, imo, understand the advantage of hitting *hard* with it. This could vastly increase his DPR against low armored targets, especially if he occasionally switched to two hands when feeling particularly vicious, but don't worry -- with the action advantage they're going to have, even with reduced speed, the party should win unless they make egregious errors or the bard dies right out of the gate without taking a single action (if this happens, fudge things until the balance is maintained -- maybe make him drop his weapon and lose a round or something).

Piedmon_Sama
2009-07-10, 09:35 PM
Triaxx's idea of limiting player mobility with alchemical devices is good. Maybe Nero has thought ahead enough to set up a couple of improved tanglefoot bag type traps and/or devices to hurt the parties' speed in a critical moment? Or perhaps he's got a scroll of expeditious retreat up his sleeve for +30 speed when it really counts that he can and enough skill to UMD it in a pinch. Something quick and easy is fine so long as he uses it effectively.

This I definitely agree with. I think I'll arm Nero with some alchemical tanglefoot bags and maybe a thunderstone to try and disorient/hamper the Party before rushing them. Also as soon as I decide what I can bare to part with, I'll switch his skill points around for a solid UMD and give him two scrolls of Expeditious Retreat. (Nero is actually working with a level 7 mercenary Wizard so he could plausibly get some minor scrolls for his own use).

Once he has the speed advantage he darts in, takes a couple of pot shots at the bard, hopefully drops him, then retreats behind traps/cover/allies to regroup. He doesn't seem the sort of fighter who would come out in the open and take the party head on unless forced to, so this way of fighting would suit him, I'd think. If he's going to have allies, I would not give him anything but meat shields -- perhaps zombies? Something to occupy the pc's for at most 1-2 rounds, if only by blocking the way, but enough to buy him time.

I took your advice to heart and have decided to give Nero a "personal guard" of traitor Mummies who will be running interferance for him. Maybe as few as two or as much as six, depending on the openness of the battlefield and how effective a mook-dropping-machine Valda is by then.

Nero's Tomb-Guards, Mummy 5/Warrior 5
Medium-Sized Undead
HD: 5d12+5d8+3 (63 hp)
Init: +0
Spd: 15 ft. (fullplate) 20 ft. nat.
AC: 23 (+0 dex, +4 full plate, +1 disc-plate, +5 nat +3 class) Touch 13, FF 20
BaB/Grp: +6/+10
Attack: MW Poleaxe +12 melee reach (1d10+6 x3 slash) or MW Falchion +11 melee (2d4+6 18-20/x2 slash)
Full Attack: MW Poleaxe +12 melee reach (1d10+6 x3 slash) or MW Falchion +11 melee (2d4+6 18-20/x2 slash)
S/R: 5ft/5ft (10 ft w/poleaxe)
SA: Mummy Rot touch attack 1/day
SQ: DR 6/- (armor & nat.), Undead Traits
Svs: Fort +4, Ref +2, Will +5
Abilities: Str 18, Dex 10, Con ---, Int 6, Wis 12, Cha 12
Skills: Spot +9, Listen +9, Jump -1
Feats: EWP [Poleaxe], Power Attack, Weapon Focus [Poleaxe], Toughness

Also, if you really want Nero to be a combat threat the way you've built him, I'd at least consider adding power attack. I know it's not necessarily his style, but anyone who has used a sword for any length of time would, imo, understand the advantage of hitting *hard* with it. This could vastly increase his DPR against low armored targets, especially if he occasionally switched to two hands when feeling particularly vicious, but don't worry -- with the action advantage they're going to have, even with reduced speed, the party should win unless they make egregious errors or the bard dies right out of the gate without taking a single action (if this happens, fudge things until the balance is maintained -- maybe make him drop his weapon and lose a round or something).

This is a hard decision, since Nero's feats are a tightly-wound cycle of interreliance. I probably should replace Weapon Focus with Power Attack for when he trips out and goes nuts, but it feels like he'll be doing such limp damage I don't even want him to lose his Weapon Specialization.