PDA

View Full Version : DnD 2.5? What?

Coidzor
2009-07-10, 09:46 AM
I'd never heard of anything along the lines of 2.5 in regards to DnD until about... 3 days ago. It seems like it has something to do with the rules used in the later CRPGs spawned from AD&D as far as I can tell...

Enlighten me as to what it is, please.

TSED
2009-07-10, 09:49 AM
I'd never heard of anything along the lines of 2.5 in regards to DnD until about... 3 days ago. It seems like it has something to do with the rules used in the later CRPGs spawned from AD&D as far as I can tell...

You've pretty much got it.

It's not 'official', but when you start getting into Baldur's Gate 2: Throne of Bhaal you start seeing things like... Well, like epic feats being thrown around. Things that 2nd Ed just wasn't built to deal with. Things that the coders and designers implemented to help the epic feeling of the game.

bosssmiley
2009-07-10, 10:15 AM
AFAIK D&D2.5 is usually used as internet shorthand for the Player's Option series of books produced by late-period TSR. All I'll say about that little lot is that there were some good ideas hidden in there...if you dug hard enough. :smallannoyed:

jamroar
2009-07-10, 10:21 AM

It's the revised 2nd Ed. and the line of Player/DM's Options supplements branded under the new logo.

This one. (http://home.flash.net/~brenfrow/dd1/phb3.htm)

Muz
2009-07-10, 11:10 AM
AFAIK D&D2.5 is usually used as internet shorthand for the Player's Option series of books produced by late-period TSR. All I'll say about that little lot is that there were some good ideas hidden in there...if you dug hard enough. :smallannoyed:

It also spawned at least one decent module used to showcase some of the new rules (though it worked just fine without them, too): The Gates of Firestorm Peak (http://home.flash.net/~brenfrow/dd1/gfp.htm). Eldritch horror plus giant invisible dwarves! :smallbiggrin:

Good times.

shadzar
2009-07-10, 12:52 PM
It's the revised 2nd Ed. and the line of Player/DM's Options supplements branded under the new logo.

This one. (http://home.flash.net/~brenfrow/dd1/phb3.htm)

:smallconfused: What? No. The black books aren't 2.5. There are black books that are, but just being a black cover doesn't make them all 2.5.

The Player Options, DM Options, and Campaign Options are the 2.5.

Skills & Powers
Combat & Tactics
Spells & Magic
High-Level Campaigns
Council of Wyrms

Those are the 2.5 materials.

LibraryOgre
2009-07-10, 01:26 PM
Generally, I haven't seen Council of Wyrms included in the 2.5 group... usually, it only applies to the Player's Options and DM's Options books (Combat & Tactics, Skills and Powers, Spells and Magic, and High-Level Campaigns). If you use these rules, you've substantially diverged from the rules of 2e... C&T has some very different initiative rules and critical hits, Skills and Powers and Spells and Magic have very different character creation processes, plus some spell point systems and options to go with that, and High Level campaigns adds a number of abilities.

Playing with those greatly changes the experience.

Matthew
2009-07-13, 11:01 AM
Indeed. The Player's Option and Dungeon Master's Option supplements are often now referred to as AD&D/2.5, though they are not really anything of the sort by comparison with D20/3.5. As noted, various rules were imported into computer titles like Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale and Planescape, but not very many.