PDA

View Full Version : Warehouse 13

Talyn
2009-07-10, 09:34 PM
A new show on SciFi (I just can't get used to the new spelling - seriously, guys, SyFy? Who thought that was a good idea?) which seems to combine:

- the premise and basic plot of the Librarian series
- the character dynamic in Bones
- the mystery and sense of "in over your head" of X-Files.

For those of you who haven't seen it, you can watch it here (http://www.hulu.com/watch/81873/warehouse-13-pilot).

I personally think it holds some promise - but we'll see.

ninja_penguin
2009-07-10, 09:39 PM
I enjoyed it, although I'm iffy if it'll hold long term with me. Nothing about it outright annoyed me, and I'm a huge sucker for urban fantasy settings. I don't care if the 'I like cookies' thing becomes a running gag, but I hope the characters don't become too formulaic. I plan to watch it for the next week or two, and go from there.

Makensha
2009-07-10, 09:51 PM
I will somewhat pay attention to the series, but I'm iffy on several subjects.

The Guy: Stereotype Maximus. Relaxed and follows a "sixth sense," his father died and he feels guilty over it.

The Girl: Stereotype Maximus. Organize freak, had a partner die and feels guilty for it.

The Old "Tech" Guy: Kept muttering about how he knows her pain (see episode to understand), which I feel is an inadequate and blunt way of giving him backstory opportunities later on.

Action: Looks like they're are going to pull off the "Having combat without really having combat" stunt that made me give up on Heroes.

The sixth sense part is the only thing I don't have that much of a problem with, considering it could be used to bring up a series of plots and an overarching story.

I also don't have that much of a problem with the Old Tech Guy's backstory, it is just the way they slip it in there that bugs me.

Did I mention I'm bad with names?

chiasaur11
2009-07-10, 09:57 PM
I will somewhat pay attention to the series, but I'm iffy on several subjects.

The Guy: Stereotype Maximus. Relaxed and follows a "sixth sense," his father died and he feels guilty over it.

The Girl: Stereotype Maximus. Organize freak, had a partner die and feels guilty for it.

The Old "Tech" Guy: Kept muttering about how he knows her pain (see episode to understand), which I feel is an inadequate and blunt way of giving him backstory opportunities later on.

Action: Looks like they're are going to pull off the "Having combat without really having combat" stunt that made me give up on Heroes.

The sixth sense part is the only thing I don't have that much of a problem with, considering it could be used to bring up a series of plots and an overarching story.

I also don't have that much of a problem with the Old Tech Guy's backstory, it is just the way they slip it in there that bugs me.

Did I mention I'm bad with names?

Well, you did at the end.

Not sure if I'll watch it at all. I mean, I like Tennaple's Creature Tech a bunch, but other versions of this sort of thing don't quite work for me.

Guess I'll wait for reviews and suchlike.

Jamin
2009-07-12, 10:21 AM
I liked it but I will wait until I see more of it.

The Glyphstone
2009-07-12, 10:24 AM
Not a Heroes fan, what's 'combat without combat'?

Swordlol
2009-07-12, 10:39 AM
I don't think it'll hold me for more than a season.

*Now Supernatural on the CW, that's a different story, but I digress*

TheLogman
2009-07-12, 02:34 PM
I quite like it.

But maybe I'm a bad specimen, because I like Heroes, and Mental, and all sorts of other shows that people keep telling me are bad.

I don't care though. If I enjoy a show, I watch it. It fulfills my desire to watch images on a screen.

Oh, I like Eureka too. Particularly the most recent episode.

smellie_hippie
2009-07-13, 06:37 AM
I thought it was fairly decent.

It actually reminded me of a series from about..... 20 years ago called Friday the 13th. No, not the terrible slasher films with Jason. It was a series about an older man who I believe had a curiosity shop that was filled with 'evil possessed antiquities', and his grandchildren were trying to help him recover the items that were still lost.

I'll try and find info on it after I get home from work... no time now.

Vaynor
2009-07-13, 06:40 AM
It's very stereotypical, but it has promise. I think it could get better, the first episode wasn't that great.

Makensha
2009-07-13, 11:42 AM
"Combat without combat" is a trick used for fight on a low budget. It follows either one of two paths.

Offscreen: Self-Explanatory. They promise a fight scene, then they have the fight take place where you can't see it.
For instance, on the season 3 (book 4?) finale, Sylar fights the two flying brothers, but you see it from the invicible girl's point of view, who was forced outside of the room. You actually see barely any fighting.

Stand Offs: People stand around pointing weapons at each other in a stand off and either little is happening. What little is happening either has such a drastic impact that one side runs away/dies/loses. Often, the people seem like they are taking turns doing things.
This would be what I was talking about in Warehouse 13, at the final "showdown." A bunch of people are standing around doing nothing until it is there turn to react.

It isn't a perfect explanation, and perhaps a better way to say it it this:

Fighting is happening, but for one reason or another it is not interesting or satisfying.

BRC
2009-07-13, 12:11 PM
Just watched the pilot. It seems good. my biggest complaint is that the characters seem a little extreme on the Rationality vs Intuition scale. It's like somebody took the basic pitch for the characters "One is really intuitive, and the other is really rational", and didn't bother to expand on it very much. That said, it looks like it will be a highly enjoyable show and I look forward to seeing how it develops.

Rutskarn
2009-07-13, 01:17 PM
Let's follow the flowchart, shall we?

START
|
Is it a Sci-Fi original production?
|
YES
|
95% chance it sucks.

TheLogman
2009-07-13, 01:40 PM
That being said, Werehouse 13 has good promise, and could be one of that precious 5%.

I also really like the Lost Room. That was a totally badass miniseries that I plan to turn into a d20 Modern campaign one day.

Cristo Meyers
2009-07-13, 01:42 PM
That being said, Werehouse 13 has good promise, and could be one of that precious 5%.

Which means it'll be cancelled within 12 episodes.

Jamin
2009-07-13, 01:48 PM
Let's follow the flowchart, shall we?

START
|
Is it a Sci-Fi original production?
|
YES
|
95% chance it sucks.

I think that the 95% is the movies not the production their shows are mostly good

Rutskarn
2009-07-13, 01:59 PM
I think that the 95% is the movies not the production their shows are mostly good

Eh...I dunno. That's a matter of opinion, I guess.

I mean, if we're talking movies, the statistic is 100%.

ninja_penguin
2009-07-16, 02:45 PM
So, after watching this week's episode on Hulu, I'm rather happy right now. I have this feeling that it'll end up being one season do to Sci-fi's general inept ability to keep good things on with them, or I can see becoming bored if they do too many 'gadget of the week' plots.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. The camera one made me laugh.

BRC
2009-07-16, 03:17 PM
I like what they did with the characters in this episode. Or at least with Mica. Giving her a little more depth than "Rational Girl". "Intuition Guy" is still just "Intuition Guy". Personally, I measure characters by how many adjectives it takes to fully describe them. And her character development beyond pure rationality shows that the writers understand that.
For example
[spoiler]
Figuring out the whole "Stone floors high ceilings" thing due to the plate dropping was very well done.
It's not a Deus Ex Machina, as people dropping things is a common enough occurrence. Had they been thinking within the "Rationality" Box, they probably would have had her figure it out through making lists or something. Somthing believable, that doesn't readily fit within a character box. It shows they are willing to make these characters people, not exagerations.

Dragonus45
2009-07-16, 04:56 PM
Im keeping up with things on hulu, and i think thw show has a chance. I like the basic idea, and Arty the old tech guy amuses me to no end. Really the series feels like its written by people who haven't really met the characters. They just hear about them.

Nanan
2009-07-17, 01:33 PM
I thought it was fairly decent.

It actually reminded me of a series from about..... 20 years ago called Friday the 13th. No, not the terrible slasher films with Jason. It was a series about an older man who I believe had a curiosity shop that was filled with 'evil possessed antiquities', and his grandchildren were trying to help him recover the items that were still lost.

I'll try and find info on it after I get home from work... no time now.

That show is exactly what popped into my mind when I was watching the first ep. of Warehouse13. I dono about this show, I do not see it going very far or for very long, its just to um boring, the story is already locked in.

BRC
2009-07-22, 07:16 PM
So, I just watched the third episode on Hulu. Once again, I'm liking the show. It's not brilliant material by far, but it's entertaining enough to definitely be worth the time it takes to watch.

Now, this latest episode, exploring the Mica/Pete personality clashes. It was nice, though the false lead with the watch thingy could have been done better. I think it was dropped too quickly.

Anyway, I hope the writers didnt' say "Alright, we've done an episode focusing on how their personality types don't work well together, now we can ignore that aspect of the relationship completely."