PDA

View Full Version : Green Lantern Film

kpenguin
2009-07-12, 12:23 AM
So, Ryan Reynolds has been cast as Hal Jordan in an upcoming Green Lantern film.

Personally, I liked him in X-Men Origins: Wolverine. His performance as Wade Wilson was one of the few things I felt was done well. However, I'm not sure about him as Hal Jordan. Ryan Reynolds has a comedic background and Hal Jordan isn't exactly the funniest of characters.

On the other hand, another runner for the role was Justin Timberlake... so I suppose we should be glad it was Reynolds.

Thoughts?

Dervag
2009-07-12, 03:45 AM
Justin Timberlake as Green Lantern is an idea so bad that I'd like to think even Uwe Boll would hesitate to try it. I don't think so, but I'd like to.

More seriously, this is another one of those movies that could never have been made before modern CGI, and I hope they do a good enough job to justify the effort.

Cheesegear
2009-07-12, 04:20 AM
Is the the one that Kevin Smith is supposedly writing or directing (or both)?

kpenguin
2009-07-12, 04:24 AM
No. The film is going to be directed by Martin Cambell (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Campbell)

Cheesegear
2009-07-12, 05:01 AM
Let's all hope that Kilowog gets to show up. :smallamused:

kpenguin
2009-07-12, 05:14 AM
Wikipedia seems to think so...

In 2007 Greg Berlanti signed on to direct and co-write a script for a live-action The Green Lantern along with Marc Guggenheim and Micheal Green featuring Hal Jordan as the main character. The script also features Martin Jordan, Carl Ferris, Carol Ferris, Thomas Kalmaku, Tomar-Re, Abin Sur, Sinestro, Kilowog, the Guardians of the Universe, Legion and Hector Hammond as well as cameos by Guy Gardner and Clark Kent.[3] The story follows the traditional Hal Jordan/Green Lantern story lines to a certain degree including the battle between Legion and Abin Sur, Abin Sur's crash landing on Earth, as well as the choosing of Hal Jordan over Guy Gardner and Clark Kent.[3] Some parts are straight out of the Emerald Dawn series including Jordan's simulator being ripped out of the training center and flown to a dying Abin Sur and Hal Jordan going to Oa to help defeat Legion.[3] In February 2009 it was reported that Martin Campbell is set to direct the Green Lantern film, replacing Berlanti, who will instead produce alongside Donald De Line.[4] De Line stated in a recent interview that he hopes shooting will begin in Spring 2009.[5] However, later reports show filming to begin in mid-September.[6] In April 2009 it was reported that Warner Bros. has decided to shoot the film at Fox Studios in Sydney, Australia and was given a $150 million budget. [7] The film is scheduled for a June 17, 2011 release.[8] In July 2009, it was reported that Jared Leto, Ryan Reynolds, and Bradley Cooper are all contestants for the lead role in the film.[9] On July 10, 2009 it was announced that Ryan Reynolds will play the title role.[10]

Closet_Skeleton
2009-07-12, 05:17 AM
Maybe they're making some kind of unholy Hal Jordan/Kyle Rayner amalgam character.

kpenguin
2009-07-12, 05:18 AM
Like the DCAU GL?

Closet_Skeleton
2009-07-12, 06:11 AM
Is the the one that Kevin Smith is supposedly writing or directing (or both)?

Kevin Smith was supposed to be directing The Green Hornet but gave up because he found out that films that don't involve simply putting a camera in front of two charismatic guys talking take too much effort.

Like the DCAU GL?

Probably, no idea since I don't watch tv.

kpenguin
2009-07-12, 06:17 AM
Probably, no idea since I don't watch tv.

You should have watched the DCAU shows when they were on. Best adaption of a superhero universe ever.

Dhavaer
2009-07-12, 06:20 AM
Like the DCAU GL?

I thought he was John Stewart?

kpenguin
2009-07-12, 06:25 AM
I thought he was John Stewart?

There are two Earthling GLs in the DCAU. The main one is John Stewart, who starred in Justice League and Justice League Unlimited. The other is Kyle Rayner, who appeared in Superman: The Animated Series and is referred and has cameoed in Justice League.

KnightDisciple
2009-07-12, 07:59 AM
You should have watched the DCAU shows when they were on. Best adaption of a superhero universe ever.

+5 for truth.

Anyways. While Reynolds is something of a comedic actor, I could see him playing a somewhat more serious Hal with an acidic wit. Or he may be a Hal/Kyle fusion, but I'm hoping for the former. He's got the general look and physicality for it, though.

There is that fan trailer with Nathan Fillian, though.:smallbiggrin:

horus42
2009-07-12, 11:51 AM
I think a Green Lantern movie would be pretty cool. I wonder, are the people at DC going to keep this up, and eventually have a Justice League movie, kind of like how Marvel is working their way towards an Avengers movie?

EDIT: Fan trailer with Nathan Fillion? Link Please!

Starscream
2009-07-12, 02:12 PM
This could work.

Jordan was never my favorite Lantern growing up. I thought he was boring. Going insane was the first interesting thing he ever did. But I thought his redemption in Final Night and his penance as the Spectre were very well handled. It saved the character, in my mind. Then they retconned him as having been possessed by Parallax (a giant yellow terror mosquito) the entire bloody time.

Suddenly all the lessons he learned were meaningless because he really was a flawless paragon of virtue all along. So long character development, the Silver Age wants their wet blanket back.

Also, I actually liked Kyle. So sue me, I'm young enough that he was the main Lantern I grew up with.

But I like Ryan Reynolds. Even in the atrocious Wolverine film he was the best thing (although I refuse to call that character Deadpool, no matter what). Maybe he will bring a bit of humor and some much needed snark to the role of Jordan.

If DC has decided that they didn't like him as a tragic antihero, maybe they'll find a use for him as an irreverent one.

Scorpina
2009-07-12, 02:23 PM
I can see Reynolds playing an interesting Hal Jordan, I honestly can. Of course, it's mostly secondary to what (if any) attrocities they commit with the script and such.

KnightDisciple
2009-07-12, 04:24 PM
I think a Green Lantern movie would be pretty cool. I wonder, are the people at DC going to keep this up, and eventually have a Justice League movie, kind of like how Marvel is working their way towards an Avengers movie?

EDIT: Fan trailer with Nathan Fillion? Link Please!

Enjoy. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hTiRnqnvDs):smallwink:

kpenguin
2009-07-12, 04:26 PM
Yeah, that's pretty much one of the most kick-ass fan trailers in the history of kick-ass fan trailers.

KnightDisciple
2009-07-12, 04:42 PM
Yeah, that's pretty much one of the most kick-ass fan trailers in the history of kick-ass fan trailers.

Yes. Yes it is.:smallbiggrin:

Scorpina
2009-07-12, 04:50 PM
...sadly that trailer looks like it's for a better film than we'll actually get. Nathan Fillion as Hal would be amazing.

horus42
2009-07-12, 05:39 PM

*whistles* I'll admit, that's probably one of the best fan trailers I've ever seen. Now I wish it was real... Eh. I still think Ryan Reynolds will do a good job.

kpenguin
2009-07-12, 05:53 PM
You know, there's also going to be that animated GL film coming out towards the end of this month. Christopher Maroni is going to be voicing Hal.

Berserk Monk
2009-07-12, 07:02 PM
Well, it could work. Is Ryan Reynolds afraid of the color yellow (or whatever color it is)?

horus42
2009-07-12, 07:12 PM
Well, it could work. Is Ryan Reynolds afraid of the color yellow (or whatever color it is)?

Yeah, it's yellow. I wonder if they'll leave that in, or if they'll just say "Moviegoers today will think that's a stupid weakness" and axe it.

Zevox
2009-07-12, 11:00 PM
Wait, they're actually making a Green Lantern Movie? *does some googling/Wikipedia-ing*

Wow, they are! Excellent. About time they got around to a superhero I like on the DC end of things. So far my interest in superhero movies has been only in those from Marvel (X-Men, Iron Man, Fantastic Four). And the Green Lantern is pretty much my favorite superhero concept ever, too. Now, I just hope they don't blow it.

Wow. I can only hope the real thing will be as awesome as a movie I'd expect that trailer to be for...

Yeah, it's yellow. I wonder if they'll leave that in, or if they'll just say "Moviegoers today will think that's a stupid weakness" and axe it.
I hope they do, personally. Because frankly, it was a stupid weakness - the only thing I really didn't like about the whole character concept even back when I was first introduced to it via the old Superfriends cartoon. And didn't they introduce some way for the Lanterns to overcome it in the comics even? I think I remember reading that on Wikipedia once... (I don't actually read any comics, so that's about the only place I would get info on comics from.) And I'm pretty certain it was ignored in the recent Justice League (& Unlimited) cartoons, too.

Zevox

kpenguin
2009-07-12, 11:05 PM
GLs who are able to recognize Parallax and overcome their fear don't have the yellow weakness, if I recall correctly.

The DCAU was inconsistent about the yellow weakness. On the one hand, you had both DCAU GLs are seen matching Sinestro's yellow ring without appearing weak against it. On the other hand, you have a Lex Luthor possed Flash being able to penetrate John Stewart's force field with yellow jello.

FoE
2009-07-12, 11:15 PM
Ryan Reynolds is Hal Jordan?!

But ... but ... Deadpool .... he was supposed to make Deadpool ...

kpenguin
2009-07-12, 11:17 PM
What, he can't be in more than one movie?

According to imdb, Deadpool and Green Lantern will both be released in 2011, which means Ryan Reynolds will be starring in two different superhero movies from two different comic book universes in the same year.

I recall some buzz about him being the Flash a few years back. Now that would be a role I think he would have been better in than playing Hal.

Finn Solomon
2009-07-13, 06:18 AM
They cast the wrong Reynolds. Captain Malcolm, not Ryan!

Scorpina
2009-07-13, 11:10 AM
Ryan Reynolds is Hal Jordan?!

But ... but ... Deadpool .... he was supposed to make Deadpool ...

But clearly being Green Lantern is a massive step upwards for him. I mean, who really wants to be a Deathstroke the Terminator rip-off, anyway? Or associated with the Wolverine movie more than one can possibly help, for that matter.

FoE
2009-07-13, 11:16 AM
I can't deny Deadpool was initially a ripoff of Deathjoke (lol), but this was a chance to get Deadpool right! Not like that ... that monstrosity from the last Wolverine stinker!

I suppose there's no reason he can't be in two movies ...

kpenguin
2009-07-13, 11:16 AM
But clearly being Green Lantern is a massive step upwards for him. I mean, who really wants to be a Deathstroke the Terminator rip-off, anyway? Or associated with the Wolverine movie more than one can possibly help, for that matter.

Well, Reynolds has been vying to play Deadpool since 2003ish. This is the first I've heard of an interest in playing the Green Lantern.

EDIT: FoE, why can't he be in two films in the same year?

kamikasei
2009-07-13, 11:35 AM
This sounds like it should be fairly entertaining.

That was pretty much entirely ruined for me by spotting where they'd taken scenes and sounds from, then redeemed by the last scene (which I didn't recognize...)

However, I think I prefer Grayson (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQyfQ7RMOXs) and World's Finest (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsmqc4RhSQY).

Starscream
2009-07-13, 11:37 AM
If they do Deadpool right it would be the most awesome thing ever. Way more entertaining than dull old Hal Jordan and a bunch of monochromatic CG.

But as the Deadpool movie will be a continuation of the Deadpool-In-Name-Only we got from Wolverine, I can't blame him for looking for a project with a more A-List hero.

Reynolds is said to be a big fan of Deadpool. He was probably just as upset by the changes as anyone, but has a contract and is stuck with it. With any luck the studio will have noticed the extremely negative reaction the fans had and make the new DP movie more in keeping with what they want.

Kris Strife
2009-07-13, 12:35 PM
Just as a side note, one of the people also considered to play a Green Lantern (I think in a Superman or Batman movie as a cameo or something) was Jack Black.

I could see him playing Guy Gardner actually... Though I don't know if he'd allow them to give him Guy's Moe-Bowl.

Berserk Monk
2009-07-13, 08:30 PM
Well, at least there'll be another "Hi I'm a Marvel... I'm a DC" action figure parody on Youtube.

HealthKit
2009-07-14, 10:22 AM
They cast the wrong Reynolds. Captain Malcolm, not Ryan!

Yeah, I agree.
I must be the only one who thinks Ryan Reynolds would've been better off as Guy Gardner.

Mordar
2009-07-14, 03:49 PM
I can't deny Deadpool was initially a ripoff of Deathjoke (lol), but this was a chance to get Deadpool right! Not like that ... that monstrosity from the last Wolverine stinker!

Um...that was Deadpool? I thought it was Baraka, though I wasn't sure why they were doing a Marvel/Mortal Kombat cross-over *movie* when the *game* they released was DC/MK...

:smallwink:

- M

kpenguin
2009-07-22, 06:59 PM
So, is anyone going to pick-up Green Lantern: First Flight when it comes out in a week or so?

raitalin
2009-07-22, 08:24 PM
Huh, that doesn't come out for a week? Guess I shouldn't have already seen it.

Its pretty good, btw. I'm not a huge Lantern fan, but it was a solid movie. Kinda wish it wasn't the origin story, though. I'm sooo bored with origin stories of well-known heroes.

Lupy
2009-07-22, 08:29 PM
I hope it's good, Green Lantern is perhaps the coolest superhero in the Justice League.

Needless to say, it will not be. :smallfrown:

kpenguin
2009-07-24, 05:36 AM
Oh come on. It's hardly "needless to say".

pita
2009-07-24, 08:27 AM
Sorry, The Dark Knight means that DC movies will never be as good with the exception of Death and Me, directed and written by Neil Gaiman and based on Death: The High Cost of Life, coming out either next year or the year after that, can I have my 2$ now mr. Gaiman?
EDIT- Just re-read the wikipedia article, it's in development hell. Damn you Warner Brothers!

lisiecki
2009-07-24, 12:43 PM
I like to tell my self that it will be a movie that focuses on Guy Gardner.

The Green Lantern with a bachelor's degrees in education and psychology from the University of Michigan.

Who before becoming Green Lantern worked as a social welfare caseworker, dealing with prison inmates and their rehabilitation.

And later became a teacher for children with disabilities.

Not the pedophile with the DUI (http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=67878970&blogID=465459381)

BlueWizard
2009-07-24, 10:52 PM
Boo on Reynolds. I thought he was the worst thing in Wolverine.

I would've preferred Timberlake, and that would be far from my first choice.

kpenguin
2009-07-24, 10:54 PM
What didn't you like about Reynolds in Wolverine?

BlueWizard
2009-07-24, 11:25 PM
I thought his performance was bad.

I think he should stick to romantic comedies.

Perhaps Green Lantern will be different. :smallcool:

kpenguin
2009-07-24, 11:30 PM
I dunno, I think he communicated Wade Wilson's flippant-but-not-Deadpoo-level-crazy pretty well.

Really, he had limited screentime, but I enjoyed what few scenes he had.

BlueWizard
2009-07-24, 11:36 PM
Not planning on seeing the Deadpool movie... a rental for me.

And I love Marvel. I grew up on it.

doliest
2009-07-25, 05:05 AM

Wait....are you making fun of the origins deadpool or the comics? I'd say going from a faithful deadpool to Green Lantern is a step down if anything...although if you're talkin' bout the origins version I'll agree there.

horus42
2009-07-28, 10:32 PM
Sort of derailing the thread here, but has anyone seen the new animated Green Lantern film?

If so, is it any good?

kpenguin
2009-07-28, 10:33 PM
Yeah, I've seen it. Its pretty good, I think.

horus42
2009-07-28, 10:34 PM
Awesomesauce. I'll probably see it then.

AstralFire
2009-07-29, 05:23 AM
Maybe it's because I'm not a film aficionado, but it's seemed to me like good comedic actors, more times than not, have managed to make a good jump to drama. Jumping back across seems to be rarer. Yet I still hear doubts regularly about the ability to do it...

kpenguin
2009-07-29, 05:34 AM
Tom Hanks is a good example of a successful crossover. Its still hard for me to remember that he used to be in comedies.

Hugh Laurie too, although I don't know what dramatic roles he's been in other than House.

pita
2009-07-29, 07:32 AM
Jim Carrey has managed to keep a foot steadily in both camps, making excellent dramatic movies like Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind while also making ridiculous comedies like Me, Myself, And Irene. He's also done comedies where he doesn't play the "Jim Carrey" lunatic like Fun with **** and Jane (Possibly my favorite Jim Carrey movie [EDIT - **** was censored! that's a PG-13 word! just so you know, the word was a certain nickname for Richard that isn't Rick or Rich]) and dramas where he does (Like my second favorite, The Truman Show).
Bruce Willis has made the transformation so thoroughly that very few people remember he was a comedic actor before he was an action actor and then back again. Watch Blind Date with Kim Basinger. He wasn't bad while he had hair.

Thialfi
2009-07-29, 08:04 AM
Eh, a Hal Jordan Green Lantern movie doesn't do anything for me. The only time I ever really thought anything of the Green Lantern was when Bruce Timm gave us John Stewart and the GL/Hawkgirl/Vixen love triangle.

GL is kind of a secondary hero and needs something like Robert Downey Jr. gave Iron Man. I would rather them do a John Stewart movie and get someone like Mekhi Phifer.

Keshay
2009-07-29, 03:38 PM
I like to tell my self that it will be a movie that focuses on Guy Gardner.

The Green Lantern with a bachelor's degrees in education and psychology from the University of Michigan.

Who before becoming Green Lantern worked as a social welfare caseworker, dealing with prison inmates and their rehabilitation.

And later became a teacher for children with disabilities.

Not the pedophile with the DUI (http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=67878970&blogID=465459381)

So, I assume you would also classify Neelix on ST:Voyager, and Tom Paris as pedophiles? After all, they both were into Kes, and she was 5 years old or something...

She was an alien with a vastly different life cycle from humans. As far as her species was concerned she was an adult, she used her ring to make herself appear more like a mature human female so that Hal would see her as an adult, that is all.

How long is a year on her planet anyhow? Do you really think a GL ring woudl choose a child as a GL? I think not.

When dealing with aliens things like homosexuality, pedophelia and such get really hazy. (See: Torchwood and Cpt. Jack Harkness.)

kpenguin
2009-08-08, 11:36 AM
Well, at least there'll be another "Hi I'm a Marvel... I'm a DC" action figure parody on Youtube.

And we didn't even have to wait until the year the films came out (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xcMxnNzp2I)

KnightDisciple
2009-08-08, 12:48 PM
And we didn't even have to wait until the year the films came out (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xcMxnNzp2I)

....That was pure concentrated WIN and AWESOME.

Zevox
2009-08-08, 09:11 PM
Cool.

Anyway, having recently started reading some GL comics myself, I think I would actually have preferred the movie GL be Guy Gardener or John Stewart than Hal Jordan. Hal just doesn't seem to have much of a personality, especially compared to Guy. But I suppose that I shouldn't expect the movie to be completely true to the source material anyway, so maybe they'll manage to give him one in it.

Zevox

horus42
2009-08-08, 11:07 PM

Yes. Yes, yes, YES. More and more reason to love Rorschach. Although I also liked how Deadpool thought the "little yellow boxes" that contain his thoughts could stop Hal. And the song was just awesome.

Revlid
2009-08-11, 05:21 AM
I look forward to Reynolds in both of his roles. I'm sure he'll be great as Hal, but that's a secondary concern for me - as long as he can redeem Deadpool (Tarantino with the DVD commentary on and set to "in character"), I will love him forever and ever and buy tickets to every film he is in.

lisiecki
2009-08-11, 05:42 PM
Cool.

Anyway, having recently started reading some GL comics myself, I think I would actually have preferred the movie GL be Guy Gardener or John Stewart than Hal Jordan. Hal just doesn't seem to have much of a personality, especially compared to Guy. But I suppose that I shouldn't expect the movie to be completely true to the source material anyway, so maybe they'll manage to give him one in it.

Zevox

John and Guy also both perform far fewer sex crimes than Jordan does

AstralFire
2009-08-11, 05:52 PM
John and Guy also both perform far fewer sex crimes than Jordan does

Not to mention far less of this.
http://www.theanteheroes.com/Humor/HelpMeNoArms.jpg

FoE
2009-08-11, 05:56 PM

Damn, that was funny. :smallbiggrin:

KnightDisciple
2009-08-11, 06:28 PM
It was also obviously shopped.:smallannoyed::smallconfused:

AstralFire
2009-08-11, 06:39 PM
It was also obviously shopped.:smallannoyed::smallconfused:

But still funny!

kpenguin
2009-08-11, 06:41 PM
Not as funny as Batman kicking someone eating ice-cream.

AstralFire
2009-08-11, 06:46 PM
Not as funny as Batman kicking someone eating ice-cream.

Mmm. Chocolate.

Lord Seth
2009-08-12, 12:41 AM
Duck Dodgers was the best Green Lantern.

lisiecki
2009-08-16, 01:08 PM

Hmmm i am rather dense, Im the first to admit that. Im not sure if i missed a pic or something.

Do you mean fewer arrests for driving while intoxicated?

paddyfool
2009-08-16, 01:25 PM
Tom Hanks is a good example of a successful crossover. Its still hard for me to remember that he used to be in comedies.

Hugh Laurie too, although I don't know what dramatic roles he's been in other than House.

There was that "flight of the phoenix" movie that got him the House gig. Other than that, well, you'd be best off just perusing his IMDB page (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0491402/).

Ravens_cry
2009-08-16, 02:20 PM
Duck Dodgers was the best Green Lantern.
What you expect, he's a Toon! Yeah, that episode was absolutely marvellous. Or should that be. . .DClous?:smallwink:

Dervag
2009-08-16, 02:52 PM
Not to mention far less of this.What the... HELL was going on there?

Otogi
2009-08-16, 03:19 PM
If I heard right (and I don't mean to reiderate if someone else posted this), there was supposed be a Green Lantern film with John Stewart instead of Hal Jordan. It was supposed to have this guy in it:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/06/04/common_300.jpg

His name is Common (okay, Lonnie Lynn Jr., whatever), he was in Wanted, and TELL ME HE DOESN'T MAKE A GOOD JOHN STEWART!