PDA

View Full Version : Scaling Down the Half Dragon Template, help wanted

Brom
2009-07-12, 10:14 PM
So, I am preparing a campaign for a friend and a friend of his. One is a human Rogue. The other is CURRENTLY a Dwarven Cleric of Kord. I told him about Dragon Shaman's, though. I specifically told him about a character in one of SilverClawShift's campaigns, who is dragon touched. Now, I don't have that template on hand.

Basically, I want to offer my friend a half Dragon that comes with no level adjustment. Obviously, this changes some things about the nature of half Dragons.

Keep in mind, he wants to play a dragon shaman. Here is a link to the Half Dragon as written. It comes with a +3 LA for all it's goodies.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/halfDragon.htm

Linking to any draconic templates is highly appreciated. Also, a link to a Dragon Shaman class table or list of class features up to 6th level, in total, would be highly appreciated. If one of you has a PDF upload of the Dragon Shaman or a picture taken of it that you've uploaded online, that's be awesome.

(Our campaign is starting at 6th level.)

Yea. Basically looking for ideas, advice, and recommendations on how to work with this.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-07-12, 10:25 PM
Hmmm...how about this?

Half Dragon

+2 Strength
Humanoid (Reptilian)
+1 Natural Armor
2 Claw Attacks (1d4 + Strength each)
Low-Light Vision
Breath Weapon (1/encounter, 20ft cone, 1d6 damage of the appropriate type per 2 class levels)
Energy Resistance 5 (appropriate type)

Perhaps a little strong for an LA +0, but I think you could swing it.

Vaynor
2009-07-12, 10:28 PM
Hmmm...how about this?

Half Dragon

+2 Strength
Humanoid (Reptilian)
+1 Natural Armor
2 Claw Attacks (1d4 + Strength each)
Low-Light Vision
Breath Weapon (1/encounter, 20ft cone, 1d6 damage of the appropriate type per 2 class levels)
Energy Resistance 5 (appropriate type)

Perhaps a little strong for an LA +0, but I think you could swing it.

Much, much too powerful for an LA +0. Even the normal half-dragon only gets breath weapon 1/day!

Try something more like this:

+2 Strength, -2 Dex
Humanoid (Reptilian)
+1 Natural Armor
Claw Attack (1d4 damage)
Low-Light Vision
Breath Weapon (1/day, 10ft cone, 1d6 damage of the appropriate type per 3 class levels)

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-07-12, 10:31 PM
Much, much too powerful for an LA +0. Even the normal half-dragon only gets breath weapon 1/day!

Yeah...but that's pathetic and you know it. :smalltongue:

It's iconic of dragons...it should see more use.

Try something more like this:

+2 Strength, -2 Dex
Humanoid (Reptilian)
+1 Natural Armor
2 Claw Attacks (1d4 each)
Low-Light Vision
Breath Weapon (1/day, 10ft cone, 1d6 damage of the appropriate type per 3 class levels)

I still don't think having the breath weapon 1/encounter would hurt things. 1/2 level d6 has rarely swung a battle.

Brom
2009-07-12, 10:33 PM
It's ok for there to be slight imbalance. The players mostly want a hack n' slash/military type campaign and there are only two of them. They are taking the Leadership feat to make up for the small party size...so having a player who is strong in combat isn't such a bad thing. I can even it out by giving the Rogue some goodies down the line.

The Rogue seems like a pretty smart, savvy player too.

Vaynor
2009-07-12, 10:34 PM
I still don't think having the breath weapon 1/encounter would hurt things. 1/2 level d6 has rarely swung a battle.

I do agree with you. The half-dragon template should get its breath weapon 1/1d4 rounds like a dragon does. However, this race is free. I think you're forgetting they're a +0 LA race. Compare this to a human. 1 skill point per level and an extra feat. My version is already much more powerful, honestly I'd probably even remove the breath weapon and make it an optional racial progression feat for this race.

Debihuman
2009-07-12, 10:38 PM
Or you could give him the option of taking a draconic bloodline from Unearthed Arcana.

Debby

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-07-12, 10:47 PM
I do agree with you. The half-dragon template should get its breath weapon 1/1d4 rounds like a dragon does. However, this race is free. I think you're forgetting they're a +0 LA race. Compare this to a human. 1 skill point per level and an extra feat. My version is already much more powerful, honestly I'd probably even remove the breath weapon and make it an optional racial progression feat for this race.

True. Perhaps something like this...

Half Dragon Paragon

Hit Dice: d12
Class Skills: The class skills for the Half Dragon Paragon (and the key ability for each skill) are Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Listen (Wis), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), and Swim (Str).
Skill Points at Each Level: (4 + Int Modifier)
Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: Half Dragon paragons gain no weapon proficiencies, and are proficient in Light armor.

{TABLE=head]Level | BAB | Fort | Ref | Will | Abilities
1st|
+1|
2|
2|
2|Toughened Scales
2nd|
+2|
3|
3|
3|Draconic Resistance, Improved Breath Weapon
3rd|
+3|
3|
3|
3|+2 Strength, Draconic Blood[/table]

Toughened Scales (Ex): Your natural armor increases by +1.

Draconic Resistance (Ex): You gain Resistance 10 to the energy type of your Breath Weapon.

Improved Breath Weapon (Ex): Your Breath Weapon is now usable 1/encounter, and deals 1d6 damage per two character levels in a 20 foot cone.

Draconic Blood (Ex): Your type changes to Dragon.

vasharanpaladin
2009-07-12, 11:03 PM
Half-dragon template class, courtesy of WotC. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20030912a)

Alternately, since the dragon shaman gains a breath weapon by virtue of class features, there are the dragontouched racial variants (as well as the Dragontouched feat) in Dragon Magic, and the draconic creature template in Races of the Dragon.

EdroGrimshell
2009-07-12, 11:31 PM
Why not just use the dragonborn of bahamut (races of the dragon, i have a pdf if you don't have it), just change the fluff so it is more of a person gifted by a draconic bloodline.

Brom
2009-07-12, 11:58 PM
PM me, Edro.