PDA

View Full Version : What anime should i watch next?

Stormthorn
2009-07-13, 02:32 AM
I just finished Welcome To The NHK and im not sure what to watch next.

Its difficult because for the most part I dont stick to a particular genre, although i do seem to find robots, lesbians, and mental instability as recurrent themes. I have thus far watched (in little particular order) the following all the way through.

Loveless
Vandread
Mnymosyne (technicaly an OVA)
He Is My Master
DearS
Yami To Boushi To Hon No Tabibito (not sure how to spell it tho)
Karin
Miyuki-Chan in WOnderland
TOKKO
Serial Experiment Lain
Kanokon
Eureka SeveN: Psalms of Planets
Kashimashi: Girl Meets Girl
Welcome to the NHK
Grenadier- The Senshi of Smiles
Elfen Lied
Hellsing
FLCL
Now And Then, Here And There
Excel Saga

Im thinking i dont want total worthless erotica like Kankon but that still leaves me with a lot of directions i could go in. (As opposed to things like Grenadier that makes you feel warm and fuzzy or Mnymosyne, which has a crazy epic plot between the lesbian sex)

So i did the only sensible thing: I turned the question over to a vast sea of anonymous internet entities. God have mercy on my soul.

Boaromir
2009-07-13, 02:40 AM
Lupin the Third.

But this is coming from someone who is absolutely not an anime fan at all. Lupin is about the only thing I ever say on any thread that talks about anime.

Berserk Monk
2009-07-13, 02:44 AM
I'd go with FLCL. It's only 6 episodes long so it won't take you too long to get through, although, I've heard crazy things about Excel Saga.

kamikasei
2009-07-13, 02:52 AM
Those are all ones he's already seen, Berserk.

If I'm remembering what I've vaguely heard about Welcome to the NHK correctly, you might try Genshiken. It's a slice-of-life show about a college club of otaku.

Mattarias, King.
2009-07-13, 02:54 AM
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.

Robots? Check. Lesbians? ..No, but hot babes make up for it. Mental instability? Depends on if you think kicking reason to the curb and doing the impossible is 'unstable'. :smalltongue:

:smallwink: You'll thank me.

Erothayce
2009-07-13, 03:14 AM
I say Cowboy Bebop because it's so awesome. No other reason needed.

Cubey
2009-07-13, 03:28 AM
Gunbuster!

Robots? Check.
Lesbians? As (very obvious) subtext, check.
Mental instability? Not really, just rare, well justified angst.
It's an OVA, only 6 episodes.

Or maybe another, more famous Gainax production: Neon Genesis Evangelion!
Robots? Check.
Lesbians? Check, but a minor character.
Mental instability? MORE THAN YOU CAN SHAKE A STICK AT.

Hunter Noventa
2009-07-13, 08:02 AM
TTGL and Evangelion are both excellent choices.

I'll toss Super Robot Wars : Original Generation : Divine Wars intot he ring.

Robots? Ummm...what do you think?
Lesbians? No, but plenty of eye candy
Mental Instability? To an extent, it's usually replaced by blood approximately the temperature of the sun. (For comparison, TTGL has blood the temperature around that of a nuclear explosion). Also, epic music of just as hot blooded proportions.

Irresponsible Captain Tylor is another one everyone should watch.
Robots? Does power armor count?
Lesbians? Sadly no
Mental Instability? Poor, poor Yamamoto...and arguments rage as to how stable Tylor himself is.

SilveryCord
2009-07-13, 08:16 AM
3rd'd Evangelion. SO important to see.
Alternatively, The Big O is good.

Cubey
2009-07-13, 08:25 AM
TTGL and Evangelion are both excellent choices.

Actually, I hear that despite this being the first OG game, Ibis and Sleigh make a cameo apperance.
And Excellen will pretend to swing whatever way she wants if it means Bullet gets another nosebleed.

Prime32
2009-07-13, 08:45 AM

Robots? Ummm...what do you think?
Mental Instability? To an extent, it's usually replaced by blood approximately the temperature of the sun. (For comparison, TTGL has blood the temperature around that of a nuclear explosion). Also, epic music of just as hot blooded proportions.I didn't think much of it outside of a few Crowning Moments of Awesome. All the mechs look like they're being filmed at odd angles while moving through treacle, and the only mech with attacks which could be described as "flashy" is Cybuster.

Just find clips of Variable Formation, Granzon's rampage, "Zengar cleaves Adler" and Cosmo Nova and call it a day.

ZeroNumerous
2009-07-13, 09:14 AM
Gunbuster!

Robots? Check.
Lesbians? As (very obvious) subtext, check.
Mental instability? Not really, just rare, well justified angst.
It's an OVA, only 6 episodes.

Diebuster!

Robots? Check.
Lesbians? It's not even hidden.
Mental instability? Not really, just copious and unjustified optimism.
Plus, it's an OVA, only 6 episodes.

:smalltongue:

Tengu_temp
2009-07-13, 09:41 AM
Diebuster was much more entertaining than Gunbuster, but it requires watching Gunbuster first, to be honest. Or at least knowing a lot of Gunbuster spoilers.

Jalor
2009-07-13, 09:45 AM
I am by no means an anime fan, but I have to recommend Paranoia Agent. There's no robots and no lesbians, but mental instability is the whole point of the show. It's short as well, and probably the best quality art I've seen in an anime.

ZeroNumerous
2009-07-13, 10:00 AM
Diebuster was much more entertaining than Gunbuster, but it requires watching Gunbuster first, to be honest. Or at least knowing a lot of Gunbuster spoilers.

I disagree. I watched Diebuster before watching Gunbuster and still enjoyed Diebuster. Further, I also enjoyed Gunbuster but for an entirely different reason than the rampant optimism and HOT BLOOD found in the later half of the OVA. Also: "For the bond between Nono and Onee-sama... Distance no longer has any meaning!" remains my favorite memetic quote ever. "For the [correlation] between [object 1] and [object 2]... [Object 3] no longer has any meaning!"

Stormthorn
2009-07-13, 11:37 AM
Im not actualy activly looking for large robots. It just that they show up often in anime.

If I'm remembering what I've vaguely heard about Welcome to the NHK correctly, you might try Genshiken. It's a slice-of-life show about a college club of otaku.

I have tried that. Couldnt finish it.

3rd'd Evangelion. SO important to see.

This one seems very popular. Although i have to give Ero's suggestion serious consideration since i know him IRL.

Of those on the list of the ones i have seen i did really like Serial Experiments Lain and NaT,HaT both of which are darker more serious fares.

Decoy Lockbox
2009-07-13, 02:48 PM
Berserk!

Robots? Nope!
Lesbians? Nope!
Mental instability? hell yeah!

JediSoth
2009-07-13, 02:49 PM
I really enjoyed Bubblegum Crisis: Tokyo 2040. It's got berserk robots, butt-kicking girls in powered armor, and some pretty rockin' music, to boot!

SilveryCord
2009-07-13, 02:57 PM
Paranoia Agent is really good. Any Satoshi Kon movie, on top of that, is a classic anime.

nothingclever
2009-07-13, 03:02 PM
Legend of the Galactic Heroes. It has none of the recurrent themes mentioned which I am thankful for.

Stormthorn
2009-07-13, 08:46 PM
Legend of the Galactic Heroes. It has none of the recurrent themes mentioned which I am thankful for.

Im always open to somehting new. Although madness always makes for more interesting characters.

But what does this anime offer in place of these?

Cubey
2009-07-13, 08:55 PM

So, the OP wants some qualities that he wants to see, and you go out of your way to make a post and deliberately give a recommendation that has none of them? Not only that, but you explicitly point it out, at the same time expressing dislike for these qualities?

Are you doing this just to antagonize people?

@Stormthorn: What Legend of Galactic Heroes offers is an epic, engaging storyline and interesting and realistic characters. It's a classic science fiction work, and a very well done one. At least that's what people who watched it tell me.

nothingclever
2009-07-13, 09:04 PM
So, the OP wants some qualities that he wants to see, and you go out of your way to make a post and deliberately give a recommendation that has none of them? Not only that, but you explicitly point it out, at the same time expressing dislike for these qualities?

Are you doing this just to antagonize people?

Its difficult because for the most part I dont stick to a particular genre, although i do seem to find robots, lesbians, and mental instability as recurrent themes.
@Cubey: Buddy, it doesn't sound like he says he wants these themes, at least not in his first post. It sounds to me like he just said "I've watched X shows, many of them have these 3 qualities." Does that mean he wants to watch shows with them? Not necessarily. Maybe he wants to take a break from them. Maybe he's just commenting on a preference he may have. Maybe evidence of a possible preference towards these 3 qualities is just a bunch of coincidences. If he wanted to tell us he was specifically looking for these 3 qualities I think he would've said something like that rather than something vague. It sounds like you're trying to be antagonistic. He said he's open to other things. God forbid I state an alternative that you even agreed is good. Accusing people of antagonism is an excellent way to sound antagonistic.

@Stormthorn: What Legend of Galactic Heroes offers is an epic, engaging storyline and interesting and realistic characters. It's a classic science fiction work, and a very well done one. At least that's what people who watched it tell me.
I'm antagonistic because I suggest watching a supposed epic classic?
I don't want to sound bad but if you're going to paint me a certain way I might as well act it; check and mate, old bean.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v345/nothingclever/4431.png
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v345/nothingclever/symbolism_in_geass.png
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v345/nothingclever/lawlchess.png
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v345/nothingclever/1225373493310.jpg

LurkerInPlayground
2009-07-13, 09:08 PM
Monster is a suspense/drama set in post- Cold War Germany. Dr. Tenma saves a boy due to reasons of conscience and medical ethics against the orders of his boss. The plot mostly revolves around the consequences of saving this boy, who isn't the generic child that you might expect. It's based off a manga of the same name and you really wouldn't lose anything by reading it instead. That said, it's written by Naoki Urasawa and the anime is inspired by his art. Both are made of win and are original given the medium that he works within. Rates highly on my list.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is a loving parody of anime with a plot of its own and doesn't really descend into aimless parody or slapstick. Yes, I'm saying it balances just the right amount of humor with a story. Haruhi is itself derived from a novel and is actually a very example of adaptation actually enhancing the original work, rather than merely regurgitating it. It's a bit like XKCD, only animated, cohesive plot/story, anime references and fewer overt math references.
Plot overview: Our unreliable narrator/disaffected high school, who we never actually learn the name of, has resigned himself to a life of adult boredom and is ready to cast aside all childish things (i.e. fantastic things don't exist). That's all well and good; until a girl with a reputation for eccentricity, Haruhi Suzumiya, insists on dragging him into her life. Rates highly on my list.

The Vision of Escaflowne is aging and almost never remembered by anime fans in general. It's a straight plot grind in a fantasy world where a girl gets snatched up from Earth. It trails one cliffhanger after another and is actually has a few nicely animated action sequences. It's fantasy with a bit of steampunk mechs mixed in. Long story short, Hitomi gets involved in a country that gets burned down by the technologically superior Empire of Zaibach. For reasons of prophecy (you know how those turn out). Aside from the plot, setting and theme really aren't as fleshed-out as they could be. The ending goes for gravitas and deeper meaning, but like so many other anime, it falls flat and abstractedly shuffles its feet. (I'm looking at you Eureka Seven.) It rates semi-highly on my list, but doesn't quite cut it since it is clearly outperformed by other contenders listed here. It doesn't have a high rewatch value since there aren't little easter eggs to find or subtleties (or particular depth) in plot or theme. But it is a lot of fun on your first ride through.

The Twelve Kingdoms. Also another opening premise cliche where a Japanese schoolgirl gets snatched up into an alternate world. She can't go back and her story more or less emphasizes her finding a place in the geopolitical realities of the world she lives in. Unlike Escaflowne, Inu Yasha et. al., it places more emphasis on political machinations and armies rather than on high fantasy heroes facing off against clear-cut enemies. There is no Naraku-like villain and there is no Evil Empire. It places stronger themes on such things as Zen and the Way The Heavens are Configured, etcetera. It even lampshades the Problem of Evil by making characters struggle with it (i.e. if evil results from what is divinely mandated, how can one pay deference to that authority?). The setting is well-developed and that's part of the joy of the series. Unfortunately, the series was canceled and it never got fully adapted from the novel series it derived from. Rates highly on my list.

Moribito takes a similar eastern tone as Twelve Kingdoms but goes for a grittier and somewhat less fantastic world. It also takes a decidedly feudal Japanese flavor, instead of a Chinese one. No girl-snatching cliche this time. Instead it's about a freelancer female warrior making a personal mission of guarding the life of a prince, who is slated for execution because of a prophecy (again, you know how those are). Again, the evils confronted in the plot aren't really embodied in an Evil Empire or a Villain. Also based on a novel. I'd list it highly, except I have yet to see it more than once. Oh yeah. And character development? I think they have that too.

Blood+, like Vision of Escaflowne, is also all about the plot. It's set in the modern world, not unlike our own. It's about biological vampires, although the term is meaningless given how fantastic and powerful they actually are. From a person who is perpetually annoyed by kids dressing up as vampires and girls gushing about Twilight, the subject matter doesn't really detract from the plot ride. There's also thankfully a minimum of your typical vampire-themed angst. However, the heroine is still a immortal amnesiac with the personality and sensibilities of a 16-year old girl. This gets hurled against the fact that there are monsters afoot and that she's the only weapon around that can kill them. Oh yeah. And she has to drink blood. So tolerances must be allowed for. Cue the drama and the plot ride. There's also a rather nice Cain and Abel story in there as well.

Vorpal Soda
2009-07-14, 07:38 AM
Its difficult because for the most part I dont stick to a particular genre, although i do seem to find robots, lesbians, and mental instability as recurrent themes.

For this, I'd have to recommend Ghost in the Shell, as it features a variety of robots, particularly the Tachikomas, the main character is a lesbian(Or at least, it's certainly implied), and the Stand Alone Complex series sometimes has characters who are mentally unstable, often in ways relating to the widespread use of technology, prosthetic body parts, and the subsequent bluring of the line between man and machine.

nothingclever
2009-07-14, 09:23 AM
Im always open to somehting new. Although madness always makes for more interesting characters.

But what does this anime offer in place of these?
The show is about two opposing governments in space. One is democratic and the other is a monarchical dictatorship. Both sides have a genius tactician that gradually rises in rank and the two face each other to decide the fate of their worlds through their subordinates and by specifically facing each other. They are very similar but they are also very different. Politics, philosophy, character relationships, and space combat with battleships are the main themes.

In the case of Legend of the Galactic Heroes sanity is what makes for interesting characters. The characters and the way they are written are both refreshingly sane for me. Too many series have characters that never have their motives really explained beyond "blah I'm evil!" or "blah I'm mentally unstable!" In this one people explain themselves through internal monologue and realistic conversation. They do a lot more than just say "Hey, let's kill the badguy because he's bad!" When people explain themselves it also doesn't feel really contrived or forced. A character doesn't explain himself 5 seconds before he does something really drastic. Instead there's a logical build up to a character deciding to betray his allies that you can see. Suspense comes from characters gradually developing and having multiple logical ways of doing things. A military commander could continue to serve under his superior because of his morals, the desire to honor his friendship with him and for his personal honor. On the other hand that commander may decide to betray him for all of the same reasons. His friend and superior is starting to take advice from a very nasty source which challenges his morals, his friend told him that should he ever become corrupt he should honor their friendship by bringing down by force if necessary, he also said he doesn't care if he's betrayed since he feels people can honorably challenge him for his position of authority however they want since it's his job to defend himself and he puts his commander in a position where he may lose honor/face. Other shows create suspense through poor writing because the writers don't care at all if their characters act logical so anything can happen at anytime.

I really enjoy the dialog and characters in the show. Sometimes characters can be a bit verbose but it actually makes sense when they are. They also speak intelligently and are written intelligently. The characters say things for good reasons and they choose their words well. When one scummy politician makes a speech it actually sounds like a legitimate one. It is obviously filled with propaganda and appeals to emotion but the way these things are said sounds well done and it makes sense for the character to say such things because it emphasizes how he and many other people act. You the viewer may feel his speech sucks because it wouldn't work on you as you are but in the context of the show you can see how it is convincing to the nationalistic masses that want a simple solution to their problems. There are several characters that come off as sophisticated intellectuals that think on a whole other level above others but there are also plenty of simpler people as well that have their own forms of equally enjoyable wisdom and wit. A simple soldier can be just as good with his words as a high class noble but their style of speech might be vastly different.

Another thing I like about the show is that anything often considered mundane can be made epic without adding lots of explosions or unrealistic stuff. Instead the series impresses you by being more realistic than you might expect. A harmless looking pro democracy and anti war protest group might get attacked by a bunch of armed soldiers to break up their demonstration but they don't just all run away scared. Many stand their ground because of their group mentality and when a soldier foolishly fires a few unnecessary shots defensively into the crowd he and his buddies get mobbed. One protester manages to grab a gun from a fallen soldier and everything begins to escalate. The protesters might eventually get quieted down but they don't give up without a fight because unlike in many other shows they don't just unrealistically abandon their cause. They aren't fanatics either though and they still show they are clearly afraid of death. In other shows characters are always either fearless or complete cowards or constantly fluctuating between the two. In this one there are actual consistent mediums.

The show has plenty of humor without actually being a comedy and it doesn't feel out of place.

Issues of politics and philosophy are really handled well. Dialogs about them also do not feel out of place. One side isn't painted as terrible while the other is perfect. You don't have both sides necessarily being equally bad or good. Good arguments for both sides are made taking into account the current situation of the world. One main character is running a monarchy/dictatorship but he's doing a great job because he is a very kind person and most of his trusted subordinates are extremely virtuous. Even if you think dictatorships are always inevitably bad his is doing very well and maybe it should be kept in power because he's recently overthrown the old regime and he's giving his society the stability it needs and is making reforms that allow for a lot more democratic participation in the government by citizens. If he were overthrown just like his predecessor it's possible a radical group could get into power and reverse all the progress he's made so far.

Action such as combat is done very well. You actually get to see the casualties of war. At times you see people slowly die on their spaceships as they fall apart and other times you see how citizens are forced to starve, families are destroyed and the economy is damaged. The actual fighting is great. Despite the show being primarily about ship vs ship battles there's a good chunk of melee combat in the form of boarding teams infiltrating enemy ships. A lot of the fighting is realistically hundreds of ships just shooting the heck out of each other and appearing stationary because they all move at the same speed or hold a formation at times but even these things are made interesting through electronic overviews that show forces constantly shifting positions and changing tactics. Space combat resembles naval warfare to a large extent and the main ships can appear to be slow but at the same there's plenty of dog fighting between smaller ships that basically act like fighter jets in space. The strategists actually come up with real strategies other than blindly rushing into the enemy and saying some obscure technical terms.

There's just a ton of things I could say about the show. It has a few clear cons but the pros greatly outweigh them.

Stormthorn
2009-07-14, 04:57 PM
For this, I'd have to recommend Ghost in the Shell, as it features a variety of robots, particularly the Tachikomas, the main character is a lesbian(Or at least, it's certainly implied), and the Stand Alone Complex series sometimes has characters who are mentally unstable, often in ways relating to the widespread use of technology, prosthetic body parts, and the subsequent bluring of the line between man and machine.

Yea. I have watched all the movies. I suppose i need to watch the show at some time.

Nothingclever had an interesting suggestion then he ruined it by posting pictures relaitng to Code Geass, which is an anime i never even managed to get through a full epidose of. Also that wall of text took a while to get throught. I was able to extract that its about political intrigue, war, and spaceships. And that it has good characterization.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is right out. I saw two episodes of that and i dont feel the need to watch any more.

MissK
2009-07-14, 10:41 PM
One word:

TRIGUN!!!

It's not the characters that grow and change, it's you.

LurkerInPlayground
2009-07-14, 10:50 PM
One word:

TRIGUN!!!

It's not the characters that grow and change, it's you.
That's a bit of well-crafted, if clearly exaggerated, marketing hype. Bravo.

The thing is that Trigun suffers from being an adaptation that suddenly hit the end of its 26-episode season allotment. The main conflict wasn't really as well fleshed-out as it could have been and the setting doesn't get as well explored as it should've been.

That said a lot of people like it a lot. I'm at the point where I'm past caring about it at all.

Nothingclever had an interesting suggestion then he ruined it by posting pictures relaitng to Code Geass, which is an anime i never even managed to get through a full epidose of. Also that wall of text took a while to get throught. I was able to extract that its about political intrigue, war, and spaceships. And that it has good characterization.
That's rather unfair given the fact that most fans of Code Geass regard it as egregiously bad pulp fiction. Ironic, I know. But since you haven't watched a full episode, you can afford to be understanding. For pity's sake, you watched Kashimashi.

Those pictures are a joke about how cheesy the premise is and how it tries oh-so-hard to be serious about it. Not to mention that the protagonist there makes an illegal move to checkmate his opponent, just to establish his Mastermind Genius credentials.

He compounds the joke with a kind of a faked-up "I won the internet."

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is right out. I saw two episodes of that and i dont feel the need to watch any more.
Give it another go. I mostly enjoyed the "I'll see where this is going" attitude I took with it.

The first episode is actually a brilliant bit of foreshadowing. Part of Haruhi's charm is the sheer rewatchability, as you pick up little clues and hints you missed previously and you begin to piece together the Haruhi cosmos. Aside from parodying anime, the first episode drops a lot of those hints.

The second episode lays out an opening monologue that actually captures the overall thematic thrust of the show very well. And they run with it all the way to the goal post without fail.

Characters develop a sudden twist to their apparent stereotypes. And part of the joke is that the SOS Brigade is deliberately assembled to match Haruhi's sense of the cliche. The humor can sometimes be subtle without actually resorting to slapstick; which is the best kind of humor there is.

I'd also at least wait around at least until the twist and some of the later tribute episodes to space opera (probably Irresponsible Captain Tylor and some others) and detective mystery (probably Case Closed) anime. The third episode is a parody of sports anime and is simply brilliant.

As far as anime goes, it rates highly because I'd have trouble sticking in a knife anywhere to really criticize it. It's a solid bit of craftsmanship. Most anime reviewers (bottom of the barrel by definition) can only quibble about how annoying they found a character or make false claims that the protagonist doesn't get enough characterization (then they turn around and rate Cardcaptor Sakura a 5/5 with a straight face). Personally, I might quibble that the art is a bit unoriginal, but it works well given the content and doesn't slack on animation.

Isak
2009-07-15, 03:34 AM
Evangelion. By FAR!

Amazing story, animation quality that is still top notch.

Lots of big robots, explosives, arguable lesbians, and more mental instability than you could shake an asylum at!

It's by far one of my most recommended series; Even if you watch it for the big robot action scenes.

And those looking for something a little deeper will certainly find it as well.

NGE is simply amazing.

As is it's... Cousin... Tengen Toppa Gurenn Lagann; although the mood is a bit on the lighter side.

Erothayce
2009-07-15, 04:33 AM
Neon genesis is so full of mentally unstable characters it's ridiculous. Everyone has something wrong with them. Not that I'm knocking it, I really enjoyed it. It's one that I endorse watching and knowing you Stormthorn, you will enjoy it.

Puppeteer
2009-07-15, 04:51 AM
Last Exile.
Great steampunk anime.

Hida Reju
2009-07-15, 06:45 AM
Black Lagoon - Extreme action, kick @ss soundtrack, and interesting characters.

Kenichi the Mightiest Disciple - Good for a laugh and decent fight action.

Higurashi - Has two seasons and some of the most disturbing people just go bat sh*t crazy I have ever seen. But by the time you get to the end of it there is a resolution that does not suck.

Noein - Trippy bent on quantum reality and not a bad story all around.

Read or Die - Both the OVA and the series were good.

Samurai Champloo - It's like Cowboy Bebop in Feudal japan. Its epic and has a kicking soundtrack.

Serial Experiments Lain - Another mindblow anime

Hope this helps.

nothingclever
2009-07-15, 08:02 PM
Nothingclever had an interesting suggestion then he ruined it by posting pictures relaitng to Code Geass
I hate Code Geass. I just posted it as a joke directed Cubey.

TheThan
2009-07-15, 08:18 PM
TheThanís standard Anime recommendations list:

Gundan Wing
G Gundam
Gundam 08th MS team
Trigun
Neon Genesis Evangellion
The vision of escaflone (both)
Record of Lodoss War (both parts)
Fist of the North Star
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.
Slayers
Robotech
Berserk
Cowboy Bebop
Samurai Champloo
Dragon Ball Z
Avatar: The Last Airbender (yeah I know its not anime, but Iím counting for the purposes of this list)
The Big O
Outlaw star
Bubblegum Crisis: Tokyo 2040
Ghost in the Shell (the original ova, canít comment on anything else)

This is just off the top of my head Iím sure I can think of some more, Iíll just have to concentrate a little harder.

Fri
2009-07-15, 08:27 PM
You know what Nothingclever? Despite my usual rejection to long runner animes, all your persistant advertisement had convinced me to watch it. So there. You're such a riot.

Now, if only I can convince people to watch Patlabor...

nothingclever
2009-07-15, 08:39 PM
You know what Nothingclever? Despite my usual rejection to long runner animes, all your persistant advertisement had convinced me to watch it. So there. You're such a riot.

Now, if only I can convince people to watch Patlabor...
Well I hope you like it then.

Samurai Champloo - It's like Cowboy Bebop in Feudal japan. Its epic and has a kicking soundtrack.

I hated this show. Every episode someone is caught in a physical or metaphorical prison. I watched several and so many times it's just about rescuing a character that has been imprisoned. I'm not even joking. It's mostly just character A runs into the wrong group of people and B and C have to help him get out.

I've went through some summaries to confirm my memories.
Episode 1: Mugen and Jin are imprisoned for killing some people and causing a disturbance.
Episode 2: Fuu is abducted and held captive while Mugen is drugged and Jin is elsewhere.
Episode 3: Fuu is imprisoned and forced to work in a brothel.
Episode 4: Fuu is still in the brothel but manages to escape.
Episode 5: Fuu is sent off to become a slave when an artist regretfully tricks her under the guise of having her be a model for his paintings.
Episode 6: No imprisonment but a supporting character almost was.
Episode 7: Fuu is held hostage by someone attempting to escape police.
Episode 8: No imprisonment.
Episode 9: All 3 main characters are arrested for forging a passport(s). 1 is sent to complete a task in exchange for the freedom of the other 2.
Episode 10: No imprisonment.
Episode 11: Jin rescues a girl imprisoned in a brothel.

This definitely isn't trolling. I'm pointing out a fact here. If you're worried about a highly repetitive plot structure involving imprisonment this may not be the show for you. It certainly wasn't for me. Besides this the plot/dialog/characters are all pretty lackluster. Action is the only high point in the show basically and as you can see prison scenes cut into time that could be spent on it.

About halfway through the literal imprisonment stops but then it's mostly just random battles and characters meeting some people from their pasts. I could just say the characters are imprisoned by their pasts then because none of them have very good ones and they are what get them each into some serious trouble. Jin is imprisoned by his past because it's made him an antisocial loner and at least 1 person is angry that he killed his sword instructor and came after him. Fuu is imprisoned by her past because the whole series is about her trying to find her father who had abandoned her mother a long time ago. I'm pretty sure Mugen has past problems as well but I don't recall the specifics. The fact that he has no real friends or goals in life until he meets Fuu and Jin is bad enough. In the last 2 episodes Fuu is physically imprisoned as well.

Lord Seth
2009-07-15, 09:03 PM
I just finished Welcome To The NHK and im not sure what to watch next.

Its difficult because for the most part I dont stick to a particular genre, although i do seem to find robots, lesbians, and mental instability as recurrent themes. I have thus far watched (in little particular order) the following all the way through.

Loveless
Vandread
Mnymosyne (technicaly an OVA)
He Is My Master
DearS
Yami To Boushi To Hon No Tabibito (not sure how to spell it tho)
Karin
Miyuki-Chan in WOnderland
TOKKO
Serial Experiment Lain
Kanokon
Eureka SeveN: Psalms of Planets
Kashimashi: Girl Meets Girl
Welcome to the NHK
Grenadier- The Senshi of Smiles
Elfen Lied
Hellsing
FLCL
Now And Then, Here And There
Excel Saga

Im thinking i dont want total worthless erotica like Kankon but that still leaves me with a lot of directions i could go in. (As opposed to things like Grenadier that makes you feel warm and fuzzy or Mnymosyne, which has a crazy epic plot between the lesbian sex)

So i did the only sensible thing: I turned the question over to a vast sea of anonymous internet entities. God have mercy on my soul.If you liked Excel Saga, give BoBoBo-Bo Bo-BoBo a try. The series somehow manages to outdo Excel Saga in the randomness department. I should warn you, though, that I felt some of the early episodes were a bit weak, and it didn't really seem to find its voice until about episode 9 or 10. It's definitely a love-it-or-hate-it anime, though.

LurkerInPlayground
2009-07-16, 01:22 AM
Samurai Champloo was a lot of fun for what it was. Action sequences and a really epic set of climax episodes. Like Cowboy Bebop it tends to be more about stylishness than anything else.

I'll grant that it can be tedious sometimes as the episodes are generally hit-or-miss.

Drascin
2009-07-16, 02:15 AM
As is it's... Cousin... Tengen Toppa Gurenn Lagann; although the mood is a bit on the lighter side.

Yeah, and the Sun might be a bit hot, too :smalltongue:.

Moribito takes a similar eastern tone as Twelve Kingdoms but goes for a grittier and somewhat less fantastic world. It also takes a decidedly feudal Japanese flavor, instead of a Chinese one. No girl-snatching cliche this time. Instead it's about a freelancer female warrior making a personal mission of guarding the life of a prince, who is slated for execution because of a prophecy (again, you know how those are). Again, the evils confronted in the plot aren't really embodied in an Evil Empire or a Villain. Also based on a novel. I'd list it highly, except I have yet to see it more than once. Oh yeah. And character development? I think they have that too.

I have to agree. Seirei no Moribito is a petty god anime. It has its problems (ie pacing), but the characters are great and likable, even the bad guys you can empathize with, and the animation is just gorgeous. I'd personally recommend it.

kamikasei
2009-07-16, 03:19 AM
Seirei no Moribito is a petty god anime.

I suspect this was meant to be "pretty good", but I'm kind of hoping not. I'm intrigued by the notion of a "petty god" anime.

Cubey
2009-07-16, 03:32 AM
Some belief systems include gods of everything, no matter how small - each path, piece of furniture and tree has their own god who has to take care of it. I guess if there was a series about such beings, it would be called a petty god anime.

Or maybe "small god". Petty sounds mean.

Drascin
2009-07-16, 11:07 AM
I suspect this was meant to be "pretty good", but I'm kind of hoping not. I'm intrigued by the notion of a "petty god" anime.

And again we see that Drascin fails at everything early in the morning, particularly typing :smallsigh:.

But yeah, it was supposed to be "pretty good".

Stormthorn
2009-07-16, 08:01 PM
Thusfar I will try:
Evangelion (Because it got so many votes)
Cowboy Bebop (Because Ero says so)
Samurai Champloo (I saw a few episodes at random and liked them for the action. Will try it out.)
Haruhi (Because I was told to give it a second go. Wont promise anything tho)

Despite my usual rejection to long runner animes
How long we talkin here?

Serial Experiments Lain - Another mindblow anime
Yes. I have seen that, and it is.

Tengen Toppa Gurenn Lagann is one I hear a lot of good things about. I did watch an episode (at random a susual) once. It was very odd and my chosen episode was also rather sad. That said: Those robots are the silliest I have ever seen. This will not be on my list in the foreseeable future.

I might try Outlaw Star and Slayers at some point too.