PDA

View Full Version : a question. does this violate forum rules?

Mystic Muse
2009-07-14, 02:44 AM
question answered.

Vaynor
2009-07-14, 02:48 AM
if this violates forum rules then I promise not to pose this question.

You just did. :smallconfused:

Edit: You know that forum rules still apply here? Not saying the question is against the rules, but posting a question that is against the rules here doesn't absolve you.

rakkoon
2009-07-14, 02:51 AM
Answered it in PM so no Forum members can be offended :smallbiggrin:

Mystic Muse
2009-07-14, 03:27 AM
sorry. deleting offending posts. I just thought this was the best place to ask.

Serpentine
2009-07-14, 10:23 AM
I would not think that that question would be anything remotely contradictory to the forum rules...

Jan Mattys
2009-07-14, 10:28 AM
I don't think it's against the forum rules either.

And btw, I'd call it "Angelology", from the latin "Angelus", which means "Angel".

NerfTW
2009-07-14, 11:21 AM
What was the question?

Mystic Muse
2009-07-14, 11:36 AM
since the study of demons is known as demonology what is the study of angels known as?

RationalGoblin
2009-07-14, 01:53 PM
since the study of demons is known as demonology what is the study of angels known as?

It's already been answered, but I'd say celestology.

Keris
2009-07-14, 02:10 PM
I'd say celestology.

"Study of the heavens"? I'd stick with demonology myself ("study of divine powers/spirits"), but angelology seems to be the common modern term.

Zeta Kai
2009-07-14, 03:53 PM
The bar for offensiveness must have been lowered again while I was away. I wonder if anyone will be able to limbo under it? :smallamused:

afroakuma
2009-07-14, 04:00 PM
The correct term is angelology.

Haruki-kun
2009-07-14, 04:56 PM
The bar for offensiveness must have been lowered again while I was away. I wonder if anyone will be able to limbo under it? :smallamused:

I'm not sure asking for a term is considered against the rules...

Harukiology. =P

Mystic Muse
2009-07-14, 05:05 PM
I'm not sure asking for a term is considered against the rules...

Harukiology. =P

yeah. I didn't think so either. however it did have to deal with real life religion so I had to ask since real life religion DOES violate forum rules.

afroakuma
2009-07-14, 05:19 PM
yeah. I didn't think so either. however it did have to deal with real life religion so I had to ask since real life religion DOES violate forum rules.

It's actually a gray area when you're just looking at straight terminology. If someone asked where seraphs fall in the Christian hierarchy of angels, I could say that normally they are ranked first. If someone asked for an example of a real-world dualistic religion, I could mention Zoroastrianism.

This is a board dedicated to fantasy role-playing games, with side emphasis on television, film, anime, comics, video games, etc.; many of these forms of media draw on someone's religion, and a rather visible trend involves name-dropping Judeochristian terminology, whether to lend gravitas to the proceedings, to structure a metaphor or analogy or just because the words sound awesome and epic. Neon Genesis Evangelion being a notable example.

Ultimately, it's about what you're inquiring. Discussion of religion is what is prohibited.

tKircher
2009-07-14, 09:14 PM
The main idea is to not directly question religion, because it's a can of worms where everyone gets upset when it's brought up. If you just want terms or something, then you're clear. But if you want to support the ontological argument, you're looking for a surprise vacation from the boards.

Roland St. Jude
2009-07-14, 09:36 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: Since the OP seems to have retracted the question, I"m going to lock this. I'm not sure he every got an official or even semi-official answer though, and I don't know exactly what the question was. I can say that some of the advice in this thread is not good. Avoid all religious discussion here, whether contentious or not. It isn't a no religious argument rule, it's a no religious discussion rule, and it's purposefully a very broad subject matter ban.

Even if the religious discussion intersects with gaming or some other acceptable topic, that doesn't make it allowed here; the rules make that quite clear.

Asking for the definition of a religious term is may or may not draw an infraction or warning depending on the context, but probably would in most cases, and such a thread will almost certainly be locked right away to forestall the inevitable discussion.