PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Air Mephling in 4e

Mystral
2009-07-14, 10:08 AM
Hi there.

To get to the point, I want to play an Air Mephling Bard in a 4e D&D Round. For everyone not familiar with that race, it comes from the planar handbook and has the following stats:

- Small
- +2 Cha +2 Dex -2 Int
- 30 Feet Speed, 10 feet flight speed.
- +1 Casterlevel for air spells
- A really weak Breath Attack (1d8, ref for half)
- Favored Class Bard
- LA +1

I find it hard to transcribe this into 4e, especially the flying ability as I don't want to create a game breaker.

My current use would be to drop the Breath Attack (Useless) and the Caster Level Bonus. The race would then look like this:
__________________________________________________ _________________________________________________ ____________

- Size: Small
- Speed: 6
- Attributes: +2 Cha +2 Dex
- Languages: Common, Auran
- Vision: Normal
- Skill Bonuses: Athletic +2, ??? +2 (I'm not sure which Skill to use, diplomacy, insight and streetsmart would be fitting)
- Air Heritage: Lightning Resistance 5 + 1/2 Level
- Gliding Flight: For every Space this Character Falls, he moves 3 Spaces in any direction, up to 6 spaces/round. At the end of the gliding, he takes no falling damage. Should he hit an obstacle, he suffers 1d6 damage (Possibly more when the obstacle is particularly dangerous). When damaged, the character has to make a athletic check of 15 to continue flying, if he doesn't make it, he begins to fall normally. Should he fall longer then 1 round, he can try another athletic check to break his fall and continue gliding.

- Flying: The Character kann use "Fly" as an encounter power. (I know, not very innovative name)

Fly - Mephling Racial Power
You beat your wings and leave the ground and your enemies beneath you.
Encounter
Move Action - Personal
Effect: Until the End of your next turn, you gain a flightspeed of 4 (Hover)
Make an athletic skill check. This Check determines how often you can substain this power.
9 or lower: 0 Round
10-14: 1 Round
15-19: 3 Round
20-24: 6 Round
25-29: 10 Round
30 or more: Until the end of the encounter or for 5 minutes.
Substain Minor: This power persists for another round.
Special: Using this Power uses up a healing surge. If you have no more healing surges left, you can't use this power.

What do you think?

Yakk
2009-07-14, 10:31 AM
You could just grab an Air-aspect Gensai?

Or morph it. Start with Air-aspect Gensai.

Move attributes to +2 Dex +2 Cha.
Drop alternative elemental versions (you are just an air mephit).
Make small.
+2 Acrobatics +2 Insight

Downward Glide: When falling you can choose to Glide. Reduce your rate of fall to a number between 2 and your move. Every square you fall you may move 1 square.

You do not have to land at the end of the turn when you use your flight power.

Racial Heroic Feat: Sustained Flight. Sustain your racial flight power as a standard action at the cost of a healing surge.

Paragon: Combat Flight. Sustain flight as a minor action at the cost of a healing surge.

Epic: Perfect Flight. Sustain flight as a minor action.

Steal one or two fitting Gensai-based feats.

Mystral
2009-07-14, 10:34 AM
I don't know the air genasi.

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-07-14, 11:35 AM
I don't know the air genasi.

FR Player's Guide; they come in air, fire, water, storm, and earth varieties that I know of (though of course their names are of the usual grandiose sort), so you could probably refluff those as mephlings or do what Yakk suggested.

Yakk
2009-07-14, 12:14 PM
Gensai are human-sized, and get a bonus to Int and Con, and manifest an element. They are native to the elemental chaos.

They are in the character builder, or from the FR player's guild. Using them as a base for your air mephit seems like a short-cut.

In exchange for small and the some of the 'change element' feats, I added glide. Then I added some improved flight feats, so by epic you have sustained combat flight.

Come to think of it:
Epic: Perfect Flight. Your racial flight power is now at-will.

Asbestos
2009-07-14, 12:18 PM
Gensai are human-sized, and get a bonus to Int and Con, and manifest an element. They are native to the elemental chaos.

Its Str and Int.