Initiative: +7
Speed: 30 ft (6 Squares)
Armor Class: 16 (+3 Dex, +3 Natural) Touch 13, Flat-Footed 13
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/+1
Attack: Claw +4 Melee (1d4+1)
Full Attack: 2 Claws +4 Melee (1d4+1)
Space/Reach: 5 ft/5 ft
Special Attacks: Blood-Spit
Special Qualities: Fast Healing 5, Mirror Dependency, Repulsive Vision, Undead Traits
Saves: Fort +1, Ref +4, Will +5
Abilities: Str 12, Dex 16, Con -, Int 14, Wis 14, Cha 16
Skills: Intimidate +6, Listen +5, Spot +5, Sense Motive +5
Feats: Weapon Finesse, Improved Initiative
Environment: Special
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: ???
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always Chaotic Evil
Advancement: --
Level Adjustment: --

The Bloody Maiden is the final remnant of a vain, beautiful woman killed in a gruesome accident. She appears as a human with pale skin, in a long white dress with a bloody and disfigured face, her fingers bony and ending in sharp claws. She is summoned each time someone stands before a mirror and calls out her name three times…

Combat: When summoned, the Bloody Maiden immediately attacks any living thing in her vicinity, targeting those not affected by her Repulsive Vision first and not stopping until she is slain or all of her opponents are dead. If an opponent steps outside the area of her Mirror Dependency, she will chase after them and attack them if it is possible to do so before she withers and dies, or will remain with the boundary and use her Blood-Spit ability.

Blood-Spit: Once every 1d4 rounds, the Bloody Maiden may spit a corrosive globule of blood at an opponent with a ranged touch attack, dealing 1d6+3 points of acid damage.

Fast Healing: The Bloody Maiden regains hit points at a rate of five per round.

Mirror Dependency: When she is summoned, the Bloody Maiden is bound to the mirror used during the summoning. She and must never stray more than 100 yards from it. If she does, she will wither and rot within 1d10 rounds.

Repulsive Vision: This ability affects all humanoids within 30 feet of the Bloody Maiden. Those who look directly at her must succeed on a DC 16 Fortitude save or be blinded permanently as though by the blindness spell.

Undead Traits: The Bloody Maiden is immune to mind-affecting effects, poison, sleep, paralysis, stunning, disease, death effects, and any effect that requires a Fortitude save unless it also works on objects or is harmless. She is not subject to critical hits, nonlethal damage, ability damage to its physical ability scores, ability drain, energy drain, fatigue, exhaustion, or death from massive damage. It cannot be raised, and resurrection works only if it is willing. It has darkvision out to 60 feet.

...okay, I have a problem here. What CR is she?

Seffbasilisk
2005-10-06, 04:01 PM
CR 6 I'd say (I'd like to think that my 6th level party could handle her)

The Vorpal Tribble
2005-10-06, 04:06 PM
I get a CR between 3 and 4, leaning towards 4, but a weakish 4.

Creepy creature definetely... though what does she do when summoned? If she attacks it'd just be dangerous (unless thats the trick, to get someone to summon her), and if she's supposed to aid the summoner, thats a bit too convenient as you could summon these things whenever you were having a bit of trouble even at 1st level.

ILM
2005-10-06, 04:10 PM
I'd vote for 5 or 6. Probably 6.

Edit : Actually, make that 5. Aside from her auto-perma-blind, there's not much she can do.

Scorpina
2005-10-06, 04:12 PM
I get a CR between 3 and 4, leaning towards 4, but a weakish 4.

Creepy creature definetely... though what does she do when summoned? If she attacks it'd just be dangerous (unless thats the trick, to get someone to summon her), and if she's supposed to aid the summoner, thats a bit too convenient as you could summon these things whenever you were having a bit of trouble even at 1st level.

She attacks right away when she's summoned.... but that's not to say that the person summoning her knows that...

The Vorpal Tribble
2005-10-06, 04:17 PM
There is no way this thing approaches 6th level.

#1. Minor HP
#2. Meager AC
#3. Bound to the mirror

This is how its usually done:

Take the average HP and divide it by 4.5.

Add one for every five points the AC is above 10.

Add one for each special attack.

Add 1-6 for each special ability or spell, depending on how powerful it is. Damage Reduction, Immunities and the like should normally count as 2-3 points.

Add one for each bonus feat it has.

Divide by 3.

This should get you its rough CR, give or take a level, though one should also use common sense.

-=-=-=-=-

Here is a CR 6 creature from the Monster Manual, does the Bloody Maiden compare?

http://srd.pbemnexus.com/monstersBtoC.html#bralani

Falrin
2005-10-06, 04:26 PM
1 small problem.

Evil cleric, good rebuke and 1 mirror.

Plca the mirror somewhere, get at a safe distance (more then 30 Ft).
Ready Rebuke.
Say her name three times ( btw her name "bloody maiden" or the dead womens name)
You'll have to keep her always more then 30 Ft away from you, or get some way around the blindness. But infinit, cheep undead with nasty ability.

Chaos
2005-10-06, 04:57 PM
It might be beyond the scope of this thread, but... I´d change the way she is summoned by making her appear whenever a female uses the mirror she is bound to for adoring herself - like she can´t stand anyone considering themselves as pretty as she considered herself...

Elurindel
2005-10-06, 05:28 PM
what would happen if someone shattered the mirror?

Scorpina
2005-10-06, 05:30 PM
She'd be destroyed.... and Chaos, that's a good idea, but a little different to the feel I was going for...

Jades
2005-10-06, 06:16 PM
CR4, if that. She's reminicient of the Sea Hag.

Now, make her incorporal and dealing sublethal damage (except for her spittle attack) than that would be nasty.

Umael
2005-10-06, 11:05 PM
Put the mirror on the top of a ceiling over a 50'+ drop. Say her name three times.

Put the mirror facing off a cliff. Say her name three times.

Put the mirror in front a sleeping large red dragon. Say her name three times. Run.

Grab the mirror, angle it towards an untriggered trap. Say her name three times.

Grab the mirror, angle it pointing towards the floor. Say her name three times. Use the mirror as an improved weapon/tower shield. Think TOON.

Drag the mirror over to a nymph. Wait until the nymph is within range. Say her name three times. See who wins the blindness contest first.*

Repeat as above, only replace nymph with medusa.*

Hang-glider + mirror = aerial bombardment.

Invisibility.

Ventriloquism.

Ghost sound.

Gaseous form.

Duke's grand ballroom, complete with lots and lots of mirror... during the ball, of course.

I can get me one of these?

* - Yes, I know, undead don't make Fortitude Saves.

** - Yes, I caught that part about "standing in front of the mirror." You could still do it - after all, what if you had more than one mirror?

(you)x -------\ (mirror)
. . . . |
. . . . |
. . . . _ (mirror)

Beelzebub1111
2005-10-07, 01:19 AM
If she is bound to the summoning mirror, and the mirror is destroyed by, say, a stray crossbow bolt (it only has the hardness and HP of a quarter of an inch of glass) then she will die in 1d10 rounds. No harm, no foul. I would give it a CR 3 or CR 2 if the players figure out the easy solution.

Dnalor
2005-10-07, 02:24 AM
This is a fun creature, I think I may borrow it for my own use. I was thinking of making something like it. (someone has been watching supernatural, hmm?)

Perhaps for some added flair, give her a fly speed?

Make older ones incorporeal? And limit the amount of times such a creature can be summoned to 1/ day.

Perhaps make it so that it can't be destroyed unless the mirror is destroyed? Give her a rejuvination power akin to a ghost untill the mirror is broken. Polished Mithril/ Adamantine mirrors might be fun!

Also, perhaps rename Repulsive Vision to Repulsive Visage. The way it's labled now it sounds like it's something she does when she looks at you, when the mechanics describe it you looking at her.

Maybe the wounds she inflicts are have the wounding property and bleed like the weapon ability as her blood is acidic or whatever.

Giving her an ability where she's struck by natural or melee weapons causes the attacker to take d6 acid damage as her blood splashes on them would be suitably... wicked.

If nothing else I think I may take your concept here and run with it. I hope you don't mind!

Serpitus
2005-10-07, 07:29 AM
I had a thought. It was in line with the mirror vulnerabilities some have proposed. How about making the mirror part of the creature. Maybe the mirror is an animated object with a construct template. Throw in a few spells for the maiden like protection from missle to protect from the stray cross bow bolt. Some invisibility, inside the mirror or for the mirror. Tie the mirror and the maiden with a shield other spell.

Your question was what CR. I think better asked is I would like this to be a CR-X monster. What could bring this to that CR rating.

Anyhow nice monster for a haunted house adventure.