PDA

View Full Version : Need ideas for Gnomish gadgets

Galeros
2005-08-16, 09:03 AM
I need some ideas and perhaps even Craft Dcs for different Gnomsih gadgets that a ROgue could use, and just some other Gnome wacky inventions in general. I am making a Gnome Rogue and I am thinking of making a new Craft skill called Tinkering which lets me make different inventions. I will have to talk to my DM about this, but I think he will be cool with it. :)

DC would be nice too, as I suck at making balanced ones. :)

Charity
2005-08-16, 09:23 AM
OK heres one.

Chaotic casters

Boots with wheels on (gosh where does he get these ideas)
Tired of playing catch up with those long-legged biguns? get yourself a pair of chaotic casters.
These handy boots add 10' a round to your base move on smooth floors
Skill (untrained) dex based to maneuver ie.
turn <90degrees DC 10, >90degrees DC 15/ stop DC 10/ move at greater than base spd DC 10/ damaged DC 10+damage
If you fail you fall prone DC 15 to get up without removing boots.

DC to build 20

Dalcassius
2005-08-16, 11:32 AM
In a dragonlance short story there was the lifejacket that doubled as an anchor when in port.... I might suggest you don't try this one though. Try getting your hands on the DL accessory books. "Leaves of the Inn of the Last Home" (I and II) and their are others, I just can't remember titles. Also flip through the anthology of short stories "Kender, Gully Swarves and Gnomes", theres a few Gnome ideas. Basicly things should be far more complicated than need be. Like a steam driven cork screw. Its 2 foot cubed and drills strait down through the entire bottle."I'll get it to work eventually...."

WhiteMonkey
2005-08-16, 12:01 PM
Luminescent Marble
When set in the light of the sun, this chemical filled marble absorbs daylight. It takes 4 hours of direct sunlight to charge and will store the charge until activated.

To activate the Marble, simply strike it firmly on a solid surface. A satisfying ‘crack’ will be herd and the marble will begin to glow instantly, casting it’s light in a 25 foot radius for 2 hours. The light emitted has the same qualities as the sun and prolonged exposure (through use of multiple Marbles) can result in sunburn and freckling.

DM’s Notes: The Marble will also absorb Negative Energy. Marbles of this nature found in graveyards or in a necromancers den are best left alone. The results of use are entirely up to the DM however, I’d advise that a negatively charged marble gives Undead a +1 attack and damage bonus and returns 2 hp per round in which the Undead does not attack. Affects do not stack with other marbles but will stack with other bonuses/abilities.

DC:25 (Maybe higher if in an Undead heavy campaign.)
A failed attempt results in the destruction of the components.
Material Costs: (um... No book here sorry. But maybe about the same as an Ever Burning Torch?)

Nasrudith
2005-08-16, 12:48 PM
Okay this is a bit odd but...
Gnomish Flying Cycle
This cycle allows the user to with good manuvarabilty at their hustle speed. They can only fly for up 2x their stregnth score before having to make strength check of 10 and it increases by 2 every single round afterwards.
Craft DC 25-30 Its complex. Gold: I would say 1000 gold sounds like a good guideline to me.

bingo_bob
2005-08-16, 01:27 PM
Remember people, these things ALWAYS have to explode at an inconvenient moment.

Randomman413
2005-08-16, 02:46 PM
(Wasnt there a floating keyboard somewhere around here?)

Anyway...

Lock Remover of Improved Removing
A very complicated device, it uses many saws, hammers, and tiny controlled explosives to remove a lock from a door, rendering said door permantently of open. Unless of course the door is subject to a hold portal spell, in which case it is closed.
The Lock Remover provides a +10 bonus to Open Lock checks. If a 1 is rolled the Remover explodes, dealing 4D10 damage to the user. Note that the Lock is still removed, but the Lock remover itself is completely destroyed. In some situations, this may be quite usefull, really.
Price-2,000 Gold
Craft DC-30

Dalcassius
2005-08-16, 03:15 PM
If you can get your hands on it, the 3.0 class book "Song and Silence" has some nice little toys.

WhiteMonkey
2005-08-16, 04:20 PM
Superior Spyglass

Lenses are carefully crafted and then placed in a unique telescoping container. The design of the container provides stability and improves visibility, the cut of the lenses gives a larger viewing area and greater magnification. The spyglass itself looks identical to a standard spyglass.

If the S.S. takes 10 points of damage then it disintegrates as the disintegrate spell.

Ultimately Superior Spyglass

Identical to Superior Spyglass but the user can also hear conversations of those whom he spies upon. Only people within the view of the spyglass can be herd. Thus, if the user is spying on an enemy captain, if the person the captain is speaking to is standing just outside the field of vision, his responses to the captain won’t be herd.

If the U.S.S. takes 10 points of damage then the U.S.S. and any person or object within 15 feet disintegrates as the disintegrate spell

Ultimately Superior, Spectacular Spyglass of Incredible Spying

Like U.S.S. but with the ability to see through walls up to 20 feet thick.

If the U.S.S.S.I.S. takes 10 points damage then the U.S.S.S.I.S. and any person or object within 4 miles disintegrates as the disintegrate spell.

This item is banned in every nation where it’s existence is known and the punishment for possession is the same in each nation: Death by torture over a 1 year period then resurrection and an other 1 year of torture followed by exile to the Plain of Agony.

In nations where this item is merely rumored to exist, the punishment for possession is death by fire.

In nations where this item is entirely unheard of people are made out of chocolate, marshmallows and gram-cracker and taste great when heated over a campfire.

The Demented One
2005-08-16, 05:13 PM
My advice? Get something like a Sharper Image magazine, and use that for inspiration. Things like a magical poison magnet that draws poison gas out of the air and condenses it for further use, magic lanterns that change color to indicate what manner of creatures you might face, Gnome Pods of Ghost Sound-it's all in their.

Randomman413
2005-08-16, 05:23 PM
Gnome pods...of ghost sounds? Are you suggesting we hollow out gnomes, fit them in pointy red hats, and cause theur bodies to produce strange and magical noises?

I LOVE IT!

The Demented One
2005-08-16, 06:09 PM
Actually...more along the lines of a pod made by gnomes. If we're turning small, sentient creatures into items for our entertainment, I'll go with the kender, thank you very much.

The Dell Kenderon 5150 running Gnomedows XP, that's my system.

ghostrunner
2005-08-16, 06:38 PM
Do a Google Image search for pictures of Leonardo DaVinci's theoretical inventions (he had dozens, though I'm can only visualize a few of his flying machines at the moment). Just imagine that they all work. ;D

Galeros
2005-08-16, 07:37 PM
Great ideas guys, keep em coming. But wouldnt the Lock Remover of Improved Removing grant a +10 to your Open Lock check, not Disable Device.

NEO|Phyte
2005-08-16, 08:59 PM
just think of anything that can be done, and make a device to perform that action that is
1) steam powered
2) likely to explode
3) noisy
4) fairly dangerous at best

Phasm
2005-08-16, 09:10 PM
Powder of Powerful Purification

Appearance: A bottle of fine, oddly-colored powder. It smells of old orc socks.

Use: Sprinkle into or on a suspect beverage or food item to neutralize any poison or disease. If it's made correctly and you use exactly the right amount (determined by a Craft: alchemy or Use Magic Item check), the PoPP works correctly, is tasteless and odorless once it hits the food or drink. Incorrectly made PoPP will make food turn acidic and explode (dealing 1d8 acid damage, Reflex save DC 20); drink turns fizzy, bubbles violently then does the same thing. If the user's skill check fails with properly made PoPP, food turns disgusting and nauseating if eaten; drink turns disgusting and highly alcoholic.

It is illegal to sell PoPP to unqualified users.

Cost: 100 gp/bottle (5 uses)
To make: Craft: alchemy DC 25, 75 gp

LeifVignirsson
2005-08-16, 09:21 PM
I can think of one right now that is out of Relics & Rituals...

Burdensome coin

This coin is enchanted and can pass its encahntment onto other coins just by rubbing or touching them together. If the coin touched is placed on the ground/in a bag and is seperated from its creator, the coin increases in weight (so, if I walked five feet away, it might double in weight... if I walked a mile away, it might be a ton).

Very handy to make sure your money STAYS where it is and can be used as a calling card as well... That strikes me as very Gnomish...

Randomman413
2005-08-17, 04:41 PM
Great ideas guys, keep em coming. But wouldnt the Lock Remover of Improved Removing grant a +10 to your Open Lock check, not Disable Device.
yes, of course. sprry bout that. im just used to star wars, where disable device does open locks. ill edit that now.

prufock
2005-08-17, 09:50 PM
Bicycle. Definitely bicycle. Or even unicycle or tricycle. Pedal-boat. Cycle-copter. A giant hamster ball.

I guess it all depends on how advanced you want to get. I'd personally outlaw steam engines, because you'd end up with trains, cars, etc, and I wouldn't want my campaign that advanced, but if it's okay with you, go with it. Gunpowder, much the same argument. Has the ability to be abused.

It also depends on how scientific you want to get. Some of the suggestions here sound more like magic than invention. No rule saying you can't combine the two, of course, but it sounded like you were looking for more mechanical than magical.

Galeros
2005-08-18, 05:15 PM
Yeah, I was looking for more mechanical, and I dont mind steam power, or even DC electrical power(batteries).

WhiteMonkey
2005-08-18, 06:19 PM
You know, you might make this a feat that functions similarly to the ‘craft’ feats for wizards. If I’m a Wizard and I just spent 10000 xp to craft a wand of Fireball with limited charges, I’m gonna get pissed when this gnome comes up with a Flamethrower that can be used and re-used at will and only had to fork out some gold to do it.

Oh... An other neat idea is the Van Helsing™ steam powered, automatic, 4000 shot crossbow with the convenient reloading cartridge.

Or the Van Helsing™ hand pumped spinning blade (capable of slicing through wooden floors and doors like butter).
http://www.vanhelsing.net/

Galeros
2005-08-18, 08:54 PM
You know, you might make this a feat that functions similarly to the ‘craft’ feats for wizards. If I’m a Wizard and I just spent 10000 xp to craft a wand of Fireball with limited charges, I’m gonna get pissed when this gnome comes up with a Flamethrower that can be used and re-used at will and only had to fork out some gold to do it.

Oh... An other neat idea is the Van Helsing™ steam powered, automatic, 4000 shot crossbow with the convenient reloading cartridge.

Or the Van Helsing™ hand pumped spinning blade (capable of slicing through wooden floors and doors like butter).
http://www.vanhelsing.net/

None of my players ever take crafting feats anyways, so it would not upset any of them if a Gnome could make it with just Gold.

Thanks for reminding me of Van Helsing, it is a great movie for invention ideas. :)

EDIT: Heh, I am so used to DMing, I also meant that none of the players in the group never take crafting feeats anyways.

Furanku_S
2005-08-18, 10:56 PM
Useless and highly volatile gadgets? I love such things! I have a patented five-step process to design them.

1. Find initial problem
2. Devise solution for 1
3. Discover new, horrible problem(s) that is/are worse than 1
5. Profit!

For example:

1. I do not enjoy being injured by axes.

2. Aha! I shall craft a suit of plate armor that is completely impervious to every type of axe known in the world!

3. Of course, it's completely ineffective protection against any other sort of weapon (even improvised, like a chair leg or a big rock)...and you of course need to know WHICH type of axe will be flung at you to allow for the 2-hour calibration period...oh, and there was the matter of hair loss and kidney expulsion...

5. PROFIT!

And there you go. Now use my teachings wisely, for without careful moderation the whole world will be covered in terryfying apparatuses! No one alive will do anything for fear of sending reality crashing down in a flaming downpour of scorpions!

(And THAT's just the coffee maker...)

bingo_bob
2005-08-18, 11:00 PM
You know, I believe that that probably is the thought process behind gnomish invention... in Dragonlance at least. I think that each of the inventions should have a 1% chance of exploding each time it's used. It just seems right. Maybe 5%...

The_Werebear
2005-08-18, 11:13 PM
I have some ideas

1) Gnomish Shock Coller
The item is put on the neck of the victim. The person with the controller only has to push a button to deliver a painful electric shock. It deals 2d4 points of subdual electrical damage. A dc 20 grapple check is required to put it on a pinned opponent. The coller provides a +8 bonus on handle animal checks
dc29 to create
Gnomish Mechano-Armor
This is a suit of platemail sized for small wearers. It is covered in gears, sprockets, wires, and other various doodads. It provides a +4 enhancement bonus to strength and consitution. However, due to the extreme complexity of the machine, the wearer must suceed as a dc 10 tinkering check to attack while wearing the armor. The wearer also takes a -6 penalty to listen checks due to the cranking and whirring of the armor. The ac is the same as standard plate, but the armor check penalty is -12. The armor also comes standard with a Big old monkey wrench.
Dc35

Big 'ol monkey wrench
This is a 4 foot long monkey wrench. It is a 2 handed simple weapon that deals 1d10 points of bludgeoning damage and crits on 20 for x3. It provides a +2 bonus on Craft:tinkering checks
Dc 19

Gnomish pacifier.
This is a box with a cone sticking out of the top and a crank to the side. The crank can be turned to produce a 30 foot cone of sleep (DC will save of 15)
DC 16

Nerd-o-rama
2005-08-18, 11:45 PM
Useless and highly volatile gadgets? I love such things! I have a patented five-step process to design them.

1. Find initial problem
2. Devise solution for 1
3. Discover new, horrible problem(s) that is/are worse than 1
5. Profit!

Heh. Programmers have been using that same strategy for over twenty years now, and we're one of the highest-paid engineering professions in the world.

Profit!

Furanku_S
2005-08-18, 11:52 PM
Leermenstotum's Whadiddling Conprostrasizer

This small silver orb is covered with a number of buttons that, when counted, will turn out to in fact be infinite. Pressing one causes a random series of levers, tubes, bells, whistles, sirens, streamers, arms, legs, probosci, lights, darks, sounds, silences, hats, coats, pants, and shirts (BUT NO SILK SHIRTS) to erupt from its surface, all while absolutely nothing useful occurs. Pressing two buttons at the same time causes a small, delicious mint to be dispensed. Legend has it that Leermenstotum was a very bored gnome, and needed to get out more.

Ryver
2005-08-19, 11:30 AM
Leermenstotum's Whadiddling Conprostrasizer

This small silver orb is covered with a number of buttons that, when counted, will turn out to in fact be infinite. Pressing one causes a random series of levers, tubes, bells, whistles, sirens, streamers, arms, legs, probosci, lights, darks, sounds, silences, hats, coats, pants, and shirts (BUT NO SILK SHIRTS) to erupt from its surface, all while absolutely nothing useful occurs. Pressing two buttons at the same time causes a small, delicious mint to be dispensed. Legend has it that Leermenstotum was a very bored gnome, and needed to get out more.
Priceless. XD

Gnome tinkerers make me laugh.

The_Demented_One had a good point, though. Have a gnome try to make things with the same general purpose as commonplace modern items. They'll think he's nuts.

"I'm going to develop a process for communicating over long distances without magic. And I'll use... wires!"

"...wait, what?"

"...it's a work in progress..."

Niasen
2005-08-19, 12:31 PM
hmm, a gnomish insane device for a rogue? hmmm....

How about this one?

Escape ball of shocking:
This device is a simple yet extremely dangerous one to use, and comes in a variety of many different forms, and is especially useful for those pesky tall people who look oh so fancy in there full plate armor. This device is commonly a round ball that fits in your hand and is made to be aerodynamic somehow, and can usually be thrown up to 30ft, and is SUPPOSED to deliver a shock radius of up to 20ft that stuns anyone unfortunate to be caught in the blast. Unfortunately some caution must be made when making these, as the first person who made one of these made the ball entirely out of copper and forgot to wear gloves when turning it on....

Bare necessary components: Some sort of item that generates quite a lot of electricity (small creatures, organs of certain creatures that carry charge indefinetly, crafted items that the gnome can make, friendly mages spell), some sort of material to conductive metal to surround said item, and some sort of way to make sure it doesn't all blow up in your face. (these components left intentionally vague since device is different between all tinkerers, they come up with the way it'll work, and then can use any recipes or make new ones. success depends on dm's descretion).
Results: on a normal ball, roll a d20 when throwing the ball (note they must have found a way to make sure that they can TOUCH the ball without shocking themselves first, otherwise its gnome for dinner tonight). on a 1 a small shock got through there protection and they dropped it close to there feet and them and anyone within the weapons radius (depends on the components, dm's descretion, usually 20ft though) need to make a reflex save (jump synergy bonus) to avoid taking 7d6 subdual damage. a succesful save in this case (unless they're wearing metal shoes) means NO damage whatsoever, even if the person does not have any sort of evasion feat (due to the fact the electricity became grounded. Whoever's hit with the electricity must make a fortitude save or have all there muscles seize up for around 2-4 rounds (depending on the quality of ball) between 2-9 its been thrown at the opponents but poorly, and to close. the thrower and anyone in front of him (cept on a 9) must make the same saves as the 1. On a 9 its merely right 6 feet in front of where he intended to throw it. On a roll of 10 he's thrown in perfectly where he wants to, and if he wanted to hit someone it has (though depending on the hardness of the person he's hitting it might damage the ball, which can cause....random....effects). All unlucky souls who are in the area must make the save, and since the ball is exactly where the gnome planned to throw it, the damage is added to 7d6+4 subdual damage, and the saving throw in fortitude is (usually) increased by +10 (subject to vary, may actually INCREASE if thrown in a specifically delicate spot. damage may become lethal if thrown somewhere dangerous such as the innards of a monster, water, or person is wearing LOTS of metal) anything higher than a 10 is thrown to far, with a 20 meaning the gnome pulled a floater throw and it not only goes about 20 ft farther than intended, but its arc is about 30ft high (DANGEROUS in caverns).

This device if carefully crafted, carefully thought out, and carefully used, can stop a rampaging army dead cold, and I do mean DEAD cold, or stop the town guard from chasing you. Unfortunately since gnomes are the only known creators of these items....very few have been uh, properly managed and many light shows have been inadvertendtly produced.

Comments on this?

The Demented One
2005-08-19, 04:11 PM
Taking a look at discworld, the clacks seem very gnomish to me. I could also see Eberron gnomes with printing presses-mark of scribing, after all.

Galeros
2005-08-19, 07:15 PM
Great Device Niasen. Even though most of these have prices on them, I am thinking of making a streamlined pricing system. I was thinking maybe the cost culd be based off the Dc's and be something like this.

DC 10-15

Take DC and times it by twenty

DC 16-20

Take Dc and times it by fourty

DC 20-25

Take DC and times it by sixty

Dc 26-30

Take DC and times it by eighty

DC 30-35

Take DC and times it by one hundred

DC 36-40

Times it by one hundred and twenty

And so on and so forth. It is a very rought system right now, but I am trying to figure aout a good one.

Niasen
2005-08-19, 10:06 PM
Personally, since its a completely new skill and its GNOMES who are making it, I'd actually add a small thing to that. Have the basic generic DC for an item, and a generic price for what the item is, and then let them "tinker" with the design. What I mean by this is that by changing what materials and the GP cost, they can effectively change the DC of something. The better (and more expensive) the materials the lower the DC, and the reverse is true as in the cheaper the materials the higher the DC, but its not equal. The DC gets harder at an uneven rate the cheaper the materials go, but has a steady rate the better the materials (to prevent abuse). The basic idea is that a good mechanic can "substitute" small things or certain metals for others where a worse one needs the "good stuff" to create the item. Oh, and always make sure to have limits on how much they can "substitute", ESPECIALLY with volatile chemicals.

Galeros
2005-08-19, 10:43 PM
Personally, since its a completely new skill and its GNOMES who are making it, I'd actually add a small thing to that. Have the basic generic DC for an item, and a generic price for what the item is, and then let them "tinker" with the design. What I mean by this is that by changing what materials and the GP cost, they can effectively change the DC of something. The better (and more expensive) the materials the lower the DC, and the reverse is true as in the cheaper the materials the higher the DC, but its not equal. The DC gets harder at an uneven rate the cheaper the materials go, but has a steady rate the better the materials (to prevent abuse). The basic idea is that a good mechanic can "substitute" small things or certain metals for others where a worse one needs the "good stuff" to create the item. Oh, and always make sure to have limits on how much they can "substitute", ESPECIALLY with volatile chemicals.

That sounds like an interesting, if a bit time-consuming)for me at least) activity. One thing that I think would be cool is taking the Periodic Table and renaming all the Elements for a fantasy World. Not all of the elements would be renamed, Iron and Cobalt, and Gold, Silver, Platinum, and Copper could stay the same, but I couldrename ones like Helium, and Ytterbium. On second though, that would take even more time than your suggested idea, I am weird. :o

Niasen
2005-08-19, 10:59 PM
Yea, I guess it would take a lot of time, guess I'm a gnome at heart lol

Ryver
2005-08-20, 12:00 AM
Take DC and times it by twenty
Hate to nitpick, but I believe the verb you were looking for is "multiply (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=multiply)", rather than "times (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=times)"

[/off-topic]

Galeros
2005-08-20, 12:29 AM
Hate to nitpick, but I believe the verb you were looking for is "multiply (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=multiply)", rather than "times (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=times)"

[/off-topic]

You know what I mean. :D

MisterRaziel
2005-08-20, 07:19 AM
Hoodwinkle's Steam-Powered Pneumatic Detritus Expulsion Device

This device consists of a wood- or charcoal-powered boiler attached, through various levers, camshafts and pullies, to a bell-shaped barrel about a foot in diameter.

The operator loads a re-usable wooden sabot with whatever detritus falls to hand - stones, shards of glass, small plastic army man figurines. The sabot is then loaded into the bell, fitting perfectly. Collecting, packing, and loading improvised ammunition is a full-round action.

A valve is then thrown open, and pressure builds in a chamber behind the barrel (separated from the barrel by a lever-driven valve). Opening the valve is a move action that provokes an attack of opportunity. The pressure takes another full round to build, but as it builds, the operator is free to take a standard action.

On the third round, the operator may aim and fire the expulsor as a standard action. Once the valve is opened, the pressure expels the sabot, which then discards and the detritus expands in a cone.

The 40' cone of detritus deals 4d6 piercing/bludgeoning damage (depending on ammunition used) to anything within its reach. Reflex save DC 20 for half.

To reload takes two turns, as described above. The device, being heavy, weighs 200lb and must be placed on a wheeled cart to transport and fire effectively. In addition, it requires 2 gallons of water and 2 lb of fuel per five shots. The sabot is re-usable.

Due to the unpredictable nature of steam and pressure-driven devices, there is a 3% chance that the device will explode on firing, dealing 4d10 damage to any within a 30' radius, reflex DC 23/half.

Cost: 2,000 gp
Craft(tinkering) DC 30

The_Werebear
2005-08-20, 10:26 AM
Gnomish Thinking Engine

This is a huge device, easily taking up a 15x15 room. It is a huge collection of valves, tubes, gizmos, wires, an ant farm, four mice in a cage, an bee's nest, a teddy bear, a big glass screen, a Ram's skull that the bee's nest in, a lightning rod, and a slot for inserting cards with questions on it. When a question about something is inserted, it rolls a lore check at a +15 to see if it knows the answer. If it does, it provides that answer in the form a riddle similiar to the Divination spell. If it doesn't know an answer it complains about an out of cheese error. And ask for more dates.
Dc49
I know, ripped off from Terry Pratchet

Ecteon
2005-08-20, 10:58 AM
If my memory serves me right, you wanted rogueish stuff. One place to check would be Jan Jansen from Baldur's Gate II, you could pull some ideas from him. However, here's one of my own devising.

Gnomish Skeleton Key (requires d100)

This key is designed to fit any lock. And, when I say any lock, I mean any. This does not require a roll, merely patience. This will even open magiically locked doors. This normal shaped (picture your old fashioned iron keys) key has a button in the rounded handle, that when pressed will allow the key to fit itself into any lock. This is done by the key reshaping itself using small springs and bits of feather. These have to be changed regularly due to the excessive wear and tear of the key in the lock. This key also takes 4 gameplay turns to completely fit the lock. There is a separate key for lock traps (will be thought up later, if I have time and remember). If any other part of the door is trapped, you'll have to find that on your own, technology doesn't solve everything ya' know.

Checks and problems:

1. Each time the key is used, there is a 5% chance that the key will stop working while in the lock, and have to be cut out of it. If a person rolls a 15, 27, 54, 72, 88, or 99 on their d100, the key stays put. This check must be rolled once a turn for the 4 turns this key takes to fit itself.

2. This key also has the chance to explode. The springs and feeler feathers are pushed outward by the gas that is housed in the middle of the key. As the gas stays there, and the metal key moves around it, there is the chance for compression and whatnot, and always that thing with heat caused by friction. This 10% chance will be whatever set of 10's that the DM chooses. Example, the DM decides that this time, the key's problem percentage is the 50's. If the player rolls a 49 or lower, or a 60 or above, nothing happens. If the player rolls in the 50's, there is an explosion. This explosion takes the form of a 2d6 fireball, save for half damage. It has very powerful gas, after all, the more power, the better, right?

2. Last but not least, this key does not have a safety on the button. So, unless the player has some kind of safety case made for the key, the DM can set up "random encounters" and just make the fireball explode, if that's what the DM dice say. Example: Party is fleeing from the encounter after opening the door, the rogue forgets to make the key safe, start rolling for those 4 turns. Also, with the key not having anything to push outward against, it will have a 50% chance of exploding as it attempts to expand, and a 20% chance of freezing up. You always roll for freezing before explosion.

thatguy
2005-08-20, 03:42 PM
"Concentrated-light" sightings on crossbows. Nuff said.

Galeros
2005-08-20, 04:16 PM
"Concentrated-light" sightings on crossbows. Nuff said.

Ohhh, now that one is cool. Maybe a +2 to hit?

Kevlimin_Soulaxe
2005-08-20, 07:24 PM
Hoodwinkle's Steam-Powered Pneumatic Detritus Expulsion Device

A big ol' shotgun. Nice.

May I suggest some sort of needle gun? As big (or bigger) that the Detritus Device that rapidly expels darts. I would to try to stat it myself, but I suck at that.

Or maybe a cart mounted sniper weapon. Each round is about five feet long and three inches in diameter. Each round contains a jar alchemist's fire or some other explosive in the back and a metal javelin in the front. Fired by lighting a very short fuse. Big chance for accidental explosion on this one.

On second thought, I think mine sound to modern. Oh well.

Props to the Detritus Device.

ChubsMcGee
2005-08-20, 11:37 PM
Again plugging the Iron Kingdoms, look up bodgers in the character guide. The character is an awesome tinkerer. His devices work, for a time. Something like 4 seperate uses or for 10 minutes straight and then falls apart. Meaning give him a bunch of crap, give him a few minutes and ta da, periscope. Of course after 10 minutes it just falls apart. The class feature is called bodging. Uses the skill Craft(Tools) for crafting various items. Another thing I would suggest is find a Shocker Lizard. So many uses. I played a gnome tinkerer type once. I suggest the spofe - The SPoon-fOrk-kniFE with built in drinking straw, also doubles as a hacksaw. And for no extra charge has a lanyard loop with various colored cords.

I also had a flamethrower with a % chance for real bad failure each time. I died because of it, but it was cool. Another item is the gNorm's Goggles with Heat-o-vision. Was able to see invisible creatures if they were creatures and not ethereal instead. Of course for style I had a permanent flame on my head. And one more item I can't stress enough is sewing length of wire into the seam of your pants. It can get you out of a couple of jams.

One more thing you have to consider is whether or not you are going to use magic with your inventions. I like the style of not using magic, and only your intelligence.

thatguy
2005-08-20, 11:54 PM
Ohhh, now that one is cool. Maybe a +2 to hit?

I would even consider +4, but it might require an extra round for the sighting to warm up? Use your judgement.

Niasen
2005-08-21, 12:21 AM
hmm, most of this stuff seems to be focusing on damage and opening stuff. Why don't we try something for the other Rogue abilities?

Gnufrins paranoid contraption:
This clunky box is complex to design, create, and carry, but its design is simple. the first one was created by the gnome Gnufrin who was tired of always setting off traps through doors and halways, and wanted a better way of finding traps than reallying on his own eyes. Its a large oddly weighted box, with only 4 buttons. The first one puts out some "legs" that support the device to about 3 feet. The second button pops out many devices, including magnifying glasses, Lode stones, telescopes, and various odds and ends, some of which are detachable. The third button starts several proccess that attempt to detect emmanations usually associated with traps and several ultra sensitive "feelers" extend forward lightly brushing attempting to find any traps (imppossible to set off any trap short of a glyph set up SPECIFICALLY for this device), of which it will then give a read out to what it has found. The proccess can take up to 10 minutes if done proffesionally and well.

effects: Rogues get to "take 20" on detect trap checks on anything in front of the device for 20 ft, and get a plus 3 to their skill while their at it. The machine IS noisy, so creatures will be alerted
weight: 50 pounds, and is about two thirds the size of a gnome. Its bulkiness is the reason its not so popular, but properly used or set up it can save lives. (Perfect craftsman can make the design sleeker)

Galeros
2005-08-21, 11:32 AM
Again plugging the Iron Kingdoms, look up bodgers in the character guide. The character is an awesome tinkerer. His devices work, for a time. Something like 4 seperate uses or for 10 minutes straight and then falls apart. Meaning give him a bunch of crap, give him a few minutes and ta da, periscope. Of course after 10 minutes it just falls apart. The class feature is called bodging. Uses the skill Craft(Tools) for crafting various items. Another thing I would suggest is find a Shocker Lizard. So many uses. I played a gnome tinkerer type once. I suggest the spofe - The SPoon-fOrk-kniFE with built in drinking straw, also doubles as a hacksaw. And for no extra charge has a lanyard loop with various colored cords.

I also had a flamethrower with a % chance for real bad failure each time. I died because of it, but it was cool. Another item is the gNorm's Goggles with Heat-o-vision. Was able to see invisible creatures if they were creatures and not ethereal instead. Of course for style I had a permanent flame on my head. And one more item I can't stress enough is sewing length of wire into the seam of your pants. It can get you out of a couple of jams.

One more thing you have to consider is whether or not you are going to use magic with your inventions. I like the style of not using magic, and only your intelligence.

Heh, the Flamethrower idea sounds aweome, I will have to see what I can come up with mechanically. I also like to just use tech and no magic too.

Niasen, that thing sounds useful, I will definitely be making it. :D

ChubsMcGee
2005-08-22, 03:44 AM
As for the flamethrower it worked pretty much like this, holds approximately 10 flasks of oil and has a pump. Once you load the flasks you have to pump to put some pressure into it. And then it is just a matter of a flame at the end of the nozzle and aim and shoot. Treated it as just a flask of oil attack. 1d6 damage, plus ref to avoid being caught on fire, otherwise 1 damage on a number of consecutive turns. And the attack is treated as more of a stream. So can hit more than one person. For failure it had a 5% chance each time it was used. If it failed another check was rolled, if it was too bad then the flamethrower explodes dealing damage with 1d6 per a flask left in the tank, with the user having no saving throw. With chance of catching on fire of course.

Furanku_S
2005-08-22, 11:36 AM
-Get someone to fill small glass orbs with alchemist's fire
-Make a self-spinning sling
-Create a feeding mechanism to load orbs into sling

Hey, everybody, exploding paintball!

Galeros
2005-08-22, 05:34 PM
As for the flamethrower it worked pretty much like this, holds approximately 10 flasks of oil and has a pump. Once you load the flasks you have to pump to put some pressure into it. And then it is just a matter of a flame at the end of the nozzle and aim and shoot. Treated it as just a flask of oil attack. 1d6 damage, plus ref to avoid being caught on fire, otherwise 1 damage on a number of consecutive turns. And the attack is treated as more of a stream. So can hit more than one person. For failure it had a 5% chance each time it was used. If it failed another check was rolled, if it was too bad then the flamethrower explodes dealing damage with 1d6 per a flask left in the tank, with the user having no saving throw. With chance of catching on fire of course.

Sounds really cool. I think I will create different levels of Flamethrowers, like that one would be the first type available, and then you could get some strigner ones that deal more damage. :D

The Glyphstone
2005-08-22, 05:35 PM
With a proportionately bigger chance of blowing up, of course.

Niasen
2005-08-22, 08:09 PM
and of course you'll need different types of flame throwers (this IS gnomes we're talking about, they'd figure out how to make an acid thrower, a freezing thrower, and several other horrible little nefarious devices). But then again, as I said this is GNOMES we're talking about, where's the unneccessary gears, the needlessly clanky items, and the things that go "boink" at innoportune times, and the truly odd way of applying something? I have come up with something that I think is TRULY gnome. I do believe it fulfills NEO|Phyte's and Furanku_S numerical lists of necessisties for a gnomish device, while still being something for a rogue ;D. I prevent to you the worlds LOUDEST sneaking device:

Grathundels Noisey Hider:
This device is one that has what one would call...unique uses. Was commissioned to a gnome by a ranger who was horrible at sneaking into orc strongholds and after the guards knew his genral wereabouts they always could hear him (or so the "ranger" said). The gnome baffled at how he could devise a specific device to enter undetected to ANY stronghold, decided that the best way to hide was in plain sight...or rather plain hearing. He eventually made a device that when activated inside ANY large structure made out of stone, would begin to play VERY LOUD, and VERY BAD music, that would reverberate throughout about a 45 mile radius (prototype version only). The music would theoretically drown out WHATEVER the intruder did, making it impossible for anyone to hear or concentrate on finding the person. It was also specifically designed to be almost IMPOSSIBLE to detect where the sound was coming from. After the first "test run" Grathundel made a better set of earplugs for the now poor hearing impaired ranger.

Bare components: Someone willing to cast some version of sonic burst, a way to play some sort of music (a.k.a, find a bard or something), several components to make a recording box, disc, and player (components include wood, zinc, and several other items. cost variable, DM's discretion but usually around 100gp for components, and a bit of an xp cost for making this sucker)
Effects: all those right NEXT to the device without a special pair of earplugs, under the effects of a silence spell, or otherwise immune to sonic damage must make a reflex save to cover their ears or become deafened to the horrible music. Those with bad tempers who hear the music unfilterd (barbarians, chaotic fighters, goblins, etc.) have to make a concentration/will save (whichever is higher) on becoming extremely annoyed (DM's discretion on what that does, could mean they run around looking to bust some heads including whoevers playing the music, could just mean they grip their spears tighter and are really pissed). On general anyone within the radius gets a minus 20 to their listen checks and a minus 15 to any concentration checks (except for initial concentration check on getting annoyed/angry).

I might have overpowered this sucker, feel free to make comments on it

Phasm
2005-08-23, 01:24 AM
This one is sort of the same general use as the previous. (Sorry, Niasen... didn't mean to steal your thunder. Pun fully intentional ;D ) Only I stole mine from a computer RPG called Arcanum... came out sometime in the 90s. If you like this kind of gadgetry, get a copy off Amazon or something and give it a spin! Some weekend when you have a lot of time- it's addictive.

Clockwork Decoy

This gadget at first appears to be a squarish lump of metal rods, springs, gears, levers, etc. However, when set on the ground and activated (DC 15 tinkering check) the decoy unfolds into a human-sized bipedal shape. It can then be pointed in the appropriate direction, wound up via a crank in the side, and let loose. The decoy will walk forward at roughly the same speed as a human, clanking and whirring and generally making noise. Clockwork decoys are useful for flushing enemies out of hiding, revealing hidden archers, and springing traps. Oftentimes the resident mage will cast an illusion on the decoy, making it appear to be a humanoid. If the decoy survives its mission, it can be folded up again for transport.

Like most such devices, the clockwork decoy has its drawbacks. The first is weight; it weighs 60 lbs. If you have a packhorse or bag of holding, you're set. Otherwise, some unlucky sap gets to carry a huge chunk of metal around until a decoy is needed. The second drawback is an unfortunate tendency to explode. There is a great deal of pent-up force driving a clockwork decoy, and there's a 5% cumulative chance with every use that the decoy will explode while being wound up. If it explodes, the decoy deals 2d10 piercing and bludgeoning damage to everyone within a 50-ft. radius. Reflex saves half, DC 25.

Market price: variable, around 500 gp?
Crafting: DC 25 tinkering. Requires precision mechanical parts such as gears and springs; Profession (blacksmith) DC 30 for a PC or NPC to make these.

Niasen
2005-08-23, 01:55 AM
hehe, steal my thunder all you want, personally I think I'm enjoying creating and reading about the gnomish gadgets more than anyone here (I just keep coming up with them, the ones I posted are just for rogues and are the only ones with any true discernible purpose that could be used in an adventure). I don't know why but I've never had a problem with people using my idea's as long as they change them a bit or improve upon them somehow (call me strange that way lol). Oh, I think I got just the sucker for when your gnome rogue is just starting up on his tinkering skill to work up and practice on (this one isn't as "flashy" as the others) one for those pesky times where a gnome just needs to get some cover and isn't to worried about how everything looks. Meet the Ultra Incense burner:
Ultra Incense Burner (otherwise known as "Smelly Smokescreen"): This creation was originally made by a gnomish cleric of Gond who wanted to have a way to continually burn incense to help keep his mind clear, unfortunately it burned it a little to well, and instead of clearing his mind, it rather befuddled it with the overpowering smell and clouded the vision of everyone within a 50 foot area. While the cleric was reported to have been "displeased" with the results, the local thieves guild immediately saw the use for such a device and set their own gnomes to make a portable version...for "spirtual needs" of course you understand. The commonly seen device is now light metal backpack with an arm that sticks to the front with one button. When the button is depressed whatever is inside the backpack is incenerated, usually creating a rather large smokescreen that clouds the view and sometimes makes people gag depending on whats used. Its usually meant to be lightweight so the person can be using it on the run, and not be affected by the smoke.

Components: Ability to make a light weight metal, some sort of padding for the back (so you don't burn yourself to death), burnable objects (needs to be replaced after every use), some sort of ignition item (can be left up to imagination, can be magical, steam, coal, whatever. Effectiveness of item dependent on fuel component, may need to be replacable).
Effect: common effect is the same effect as the spell "Obscure mist" except the P.C. does not have to stand still at all nor is at the center at it (usually on the run). Depending on the burning item, the cloud can be multi-colored, noxious, or even beneficial to those who look at it/breath it in. Using the item is considered a free action (its just pressing the button). However on catastrophic failures (5% chance of course) the effect is the same as a low lvl fireball with the poor ba..err fellow who's using the backback as ground zero. If he's used special padding however he can have damage reduction

Edit: Remind me to become a gnome with this skill one day, I seem to have fun thinking like a destructive little psychopathic engineer ;D

ChubsMcGee
2005-08-23, 05:54 AM
I forgot one more thing about the flamethrower. Through some holy water in instead and you have one nice weapon against undead. Simple yet effective, without the worry of exploding death. A lot of things it is jsut a matter of switching the liquid. Through in some very slimy stuff, say some different type of oil, and instant oil slick to trip people with. Result of failure, some sucky dex penalties till you get yourself cleaned up. Or sticky stuff, make a nice way to slow enemies down, result of failure the gun jams and is useless until you can put some serious time behind fixing it. Acid use requires new tubing that is resistant to acid. Failure ends up about the same as with the original, covered in acid and hurting. But the fun doesnt stop there, lets say you over pump the cylinder, to do this you can have a maximum of 5 quarts of liquid inside. You pump a considerable amount, and load a heavy bolt/grappling hook into the barrel, pull the emergency pressure release that causes the whole thing to empty quickly propelling the grappling hook were desired. You can see how using acid in this application is unwise as your rope could fall apart. Of course the final possibility is the capture of an ooze to shoot out of the canister. Find a variant that grows at a rather good speed and it is only a matter of feeding your barrel a steak every night to reload your ammo. Of course to contain it would require some special materials to construct the device.

Phasm
2005-08-23, 11:11 AM
Of course the final possibility is the capture of an ooze to shoot out of the canister. Find a variant that grows at a rather good speed and it is only a matter of feeding your barrel a steak every night to reload your ammo. Of course to contain it would require some special materials to construct the device.
Ooze gun! I love it! ;D

"Eat slimy death, enemies!" *splort*
"AUUUUGH! It BURRR-" *bubbling scream*
"%$#@! My armor melted!"

Then the only problem is dealing with an unleashed ooze if your enemies prove incapable of killing it.

ChaotikLawfull
2005-08-23, 01:11 PM
Anti-Explosion Device

This appears to be a thick metal sheet shaped in the form of a gnomish doodad or another. It can be used to cover the device it's shaped after completely, and when the device explodes, the AED takes the force of the explosion, preventing bodily harm to those in the surroundings but destroying the AED, rendering it a one-shot item. They have a blacksmithing dc of 18 to make correctly and typically cost around 50 to 100 gp. A device cannot be used while it is covered with the AED and it takes 5 rounds to remove the AED, -1 round for every person helping to remove it.
Their weight is dependant on the size of the item they are tailored after but it is usually too heavy to allow your average gnome to carry it at the same time as the device.

prufock
2005-08-23, 02:17 PM

Don't fire into the wind!

Galeros
2005-08-23, 05:43 PM
I just want to thank all of you guys for the ideas you have given me. And to keep em coming as I have already said. :D

Niasen
2005-08-23, 05:55 PM
I'm having WAY to much fun with making up ideas for gnomish gadgets ;D. Hmm...lets see, what else would be cool for gnome's....AHAH!!! lets make them a portable RIDE!!!
Right now I'm to rushed to really put out the entire stats name and everything like usually do, but picture a portable unfoldable wagon thats powered either by steam, magic, a really cranky animal, or all of the above. Has problems due to its nature to go to fast on downhill slopes and lack of really useful brakes or something.

Phasm
2005-08-24, 01:48 AM
Okay, I just couldn't resist this one. It's not really useful for a campaign, but I find it amusing...

Weapon of Mass Destruction

This fiendish device is the ultimate in mechanical weaponry... or it would be if not for a tiny hitch. Designed to be launched via mangonel (really big catapult), the WMD is a Huge ovoid device filled with all manner of nasty death; force, electricity, fire, acid, cold, sonic, disease, poison, cows... you name it, the mad inventor (whom nobody will name) packed it in. However, the boiling energy of all those different destructive forces produced an unusual and unforeseen side effect. Upon completion, the WMD promptly turned invisible and ethereal. The distraught inventor spent years trying to find his wayward weapon to no avail; it had literally vanished into thin air. Now, of course, nobody believes that it ever existed except in one gnome's fevered imagination.

::runs and ducks rotten tomatoes::

Okay, something practical now! (Well, as practical as these things get.)

Gnomish Grappling Gloves

These leather gloves are covered with tiny barbed metal hooks on the outer gripping surface of the fingers and palms. The hooks dig into anything the wearer grabs that's softer than metal, providing +2 Climb, +3 to grapple checks, and +2 to unarmed strikes. There any number of drawbacks to having teeny hooks all over one's hands, though, chief among them tasks requiring fine Dexterity. (-2 to Dex checks involving the hands, such as Open Lock.) Other people tend to regard them as rather creepy; -2 Diplomacy and Gather Info, +2 Intimidate.

DC 20 tinkering, market price 150 gp

The_Werebear
2005-08-24, 04:26 PM
Gnomish Optic Ignitor.

This is a 12 foot mirror on a stand, with two smaller mirrors in front of it, one six feet, and one 3 feet in diameter. When this device is aimed and focused properly, it produces a thin beam of focused light that causes the immidiate bursting into flames and disintigration to the target. Treat it as a disintigrate spell as cast by a level 16 sorcerer, with two exceptions. Half the damage is fire, and it can be refocused next round as a move action. it only works if the sun is behind it.
Materials:Three, 1000gp glass mirrors, large framework, someplace to mount it

Gnomish Whirligig

This appears to be a simple travelers pack. Whe a button is pushed, two rotors spring out of the pack and whirl at very high speed. They can be used to fly at 60 feet a round with perfect manuverability. If someone is inside of your square when it is activiate, they take 2d10 points of damage from the spinning blades. Flying the machine is very difficult though. A dc 12 intellegence check is required to move the machine each round. Falure causes the machine to move in a random direciton. Also, the machine isn't very stable. For each round of continous use, there is a cumulative 2% chance it will explode. If it does, the wearer takes 3d6 points of damage, and procedes to fall to the ground. The blades spin off in random direction.
Materials: A pair of masterwork scimitars, a big metal pole, however you keep them spinning really fast

Galeros
2005-08-24, 06:38 PM
Gnomish Optic Ignitor.

This is a 12 foot mirror on a stand, with two smaller mirrors in front of it, one six feet, and one 3 feet in diameter. When this device is aimed and focused properly, it produces a thin beam of focused light that causes the immidiate bursting into flames and disintigration to the target. Treat it as a disintigrate spell as cast by a level 16 sorcerer, with two exceptions. Half the damage is fire, and it can be refocused next round as a move action. it only works if the sun is behind it.
Materials:Three, 1000gp glass mirrors, large framework, someplace to mount it

Gnomish Whirligig

This appears to be a simple travelers pack. Whe a button is pushed, two rotors spring out of the pack and whirl at very high speed. They can be used to fly at 60 feet a round with perfect manuverability. If someone is inside of your square when it is activiate, they take 2d10 points of damage from the spinning blades. Flying the machine is very difficult though. A dc 12 intellegence check is required to move the machine each round. Falure causes the machine to move in a random direciton. Also, the machine isn't very stable. For each round of continous use, there is a cumulative 2% chance it will explode. If it does, the wearer takes 3d6 points of damage, and procedes to fall to the ground. The blades spin off in random direction.
Materials: A pair of masterwork scimitars, a big metal pole, however you keep them spinning really fast

Those have got to be two of the coolest inventions on this thread. I could just see Gnomish Seige Machines with those Ignitors on top of them blasting helples soliders to dust. and the whirlgig is just plain fun. 8)

What would the Dc be for those?

Maybe 20 for the Whirlgig and 35 for the flaming death? :D

Is the Whirlgig worn on the character's back, or do they stand on it? Cause at first I had this image of a Gnome standing a s small metal object with two rotor blades spinning sideways, but a second read makes me think that it is worn like a pack.

Randomman413
2005-08-24, 08:29 PM
Dude...the whirligig...

"ON! OFF! ON! OFF! ON! OFF! WHEEEEE!"
"Stupid gnomes and their newfangled 2D10 damage flying machines..."

Beelzebub1111
2005-08-25, 08:13 AM
The Clockwork Bomb:
Materials: Gears, Gunpowder, A clock key, Springs, Somthing for Feet, A hollow cannonball, a fuse

Apperance: A bomb with a key in the back and feet, somtimes a face is drawn on the bomb or it could be given vestigal arms.

Directions:
1. Set fuse length (can be set to go off in 1, 2, or 3 rounds)
2. wind to set speed (can move 5, 10, or 15 feet per round)
3. while holding key still, light fuse and place on ground and let go.
4. Bomb will begin walking in a straight line the set speed and time
5. When fuse runs out the bomb will do 1d10 fire damage and 1d6 piercing damage (from shrapnel) in a ten foot radius

Inspiration: Bomb-omb

Uses: set for three round fuse and 15 feet, then send to enemy guards on post, preferably guarding a gate that you need to get into.

Flaw: has a 20% chance of not moving when you let go, or getting stuck while moving. Roll the d% each round before it explodes to see if it moves that round. The "timer" still runs while it is not moving. (i.e. if the timer was set for three turns at a speed of 5 feet per round, and gets stuck once, it explodes at 10 feet)

MaN
2005-08-25, 09:51 AM
Flaming Flyer

A contraption resembling an odd-looking hang glider with a rocket engine. The engine is a metal container filled with 100 vials worth of alchemist fire. Strap yourself in, yank a chain to pull the stopper from the engine's nozzle end, and it's off into the wild blue yonder . . . hopefully.
When it does malfunction (which it will) it can explode in a magnificent fireball.
Or the engine breaks loose and takes off on its own, scorching and blackening the would-be pilot. (I got a definite Wile E. Coyote image, standing in the charred wreckage with his tail still burning as he calmly reaches back to snuff out the flame.)

StGlebidiah
2005-08-25, 03:19 PM
Clockwork Cardsharp

For all appearances, a clockwork card shuffler. However, with the adjustment of a series of switches hidden on the bottom, the user can rig the placement of up to 8 cards in the resulting shuffled deck. This allows the user to give himself or anyone else any possible hand, assuming he knows who is dealing and the deck doesn't get cut. The Cardsharp must be wound each use. A large key protrudes from one side for this purpose. When no cards are in the Cardsharp, a small lens is visible in the base. This lens is lined up with one corner of the cards and is part of the system to determine which card is currently on the bottom of the deck. If this card is one of the cards selected for placement, a small, hidden, mechanical arm shoots out, pulls the card into the machine, and stores it internally until all selected cards are ready for placement. Note that this means the shuffler will continue shuffling until it has all selected cards stored internally, which will obviously take a variable amount of time. A masterwork version of this device maintains a constant shuffle time by always running for the amount of time required for a worst-case scenario (8 selected cards, as far from the bottom as possible in the unshuffled sequence) and then placing the selected card(s) on the last shuffle.

A low INT check, maybe 13, can be made for anyone getting a good look at the bottom of the Cardsharp to become suspicious of its purpose. A slightly higher INT check, 14 or 15, can be made to figure out how the card selection system works. Increase both these DC's by 1 for a masterwork version. The user of the Cardsharp may also want to bear in mind that othesr may be making Sense Motive checks on him/her.

This is a reasonably difficult device to make, so the Craft DC should start at at least 25. A masterworked version will have a DC of +5. This device can also be further improved, adding another +1 to each of the possible INT checks, with the DC going up by +4 and then +3 (with any subsequent improved model being another +3 to the Craft DC).

Masterworked versions of the Cardsharp may also be able to select more than 8 cards (yes, the Cardsharp must be masterworked to have this upgrade). However, if this is desired, the Craft DC must be increased by 3 for each card over the default 8 attempted - roughly speaking, +1 for the extra card, +1 for the extra controls, and +1 for keeping the extra controls less than obvious. At the DM's discretion, this can also increase the material cost (see below).

For example:

Default Clockwork Cardsharp: Craft DC 25, INT checks 13 (to determine function) and 15 (to use).
Masterwork +1: Craft DC 30, INT checks 14/16.
Masterwork +2: Craft DC 34, INT checks 15/17.
Masterwork +3 and subsequent: Craft DC 37 (+3), INT checks 16/18 (+1/+1).
Masterwork +1 with 9-card capability: Craft DC 33, INT checks 14/16.
Masterwork +1 with 10-card capability: Craft DC 36, INT checks 14/16.
Masterwork +2 with 9-card capability: Craft DC 37, INT checks 15/17.

If the crafter is trying to upgrade a Cardsharp, rather than construct an entirely new one, add +5 to the Craft DC regardless. This reflects the difficulty of making complex adjustments without leaving a trace.

Materials: high-tension springs, several small lenses, and enough raw metal to craft all the necessary gears, levers, arms, switches, and the casing. Approximate cost of all materials is 40g, doubled for each subsequent masterworked version (so +1 is 80g, +2 is 160g, +3 is 320g, etc). This reflects the upgrading of the materials used and the introduction of new materials required to make the operation less obvious (rubbers, fabrics, decorative pieces, whatever). If the DM wishes for extra card capability to further increase the cost, I suggest adding a fraction of the base cost, say 1/5th per card (so +1 with 9-card capability would be 96g, +1 with 10-card capability would be 112g, +2 with 9-card capability would be 192g, etc).

That's my first go at creating a crafted item with rules, so if any of those numbers seem a bit off, please change them.

Galeros
2005-08-25, 10:34 PM
LOl at the Cardsharp. :D

I have now been inspire to also think of inventions that use keys to activate them, thanks to Beelzebub1111 for inspiring me. :)

The_Werebear
2005-08-25, 10:46 PM
Gnomish Brainbender

This appears to be a large strainer turned upside down. It has several metal antennae sticking off the top. Mounted on the front is a cheesy plastic spiral conntected to a small motor. When it is activated, the disk spins at high speed, causing a 60 cone of Dominate Person (dc will save vs 15 to resist). The victem is controled by verbal commands. The target must be looking at the spiral for it to work. Averting and closing eyes work against the Brainbender. The engine however, is too small to be very stable. For every use, there is a cumulative 5% chance of failure. Unlike many gnomish devices, this doesn't explode upon failure. Instead, the disk spins backwards, causing all the thoughts of the victim to be transplanted directly into his brain. This sudden transfer causes the wearer to become the pawn of the person he was trying to dominate

Spinning keys gave me the idea

Niasen
2005-08-26, 01:11 AM
say, you still need items for a gnomish rogue, or can we go on to stuff for other classes? hehe :)

Here's a gadget thats useful for those times where you just need to go "underground"

Gnomish Burrower.
This device is hoped to replace the shovel, pick, water, and explosives one day in digging (as soon as they can cut down on the mortality rates anyway). It is a device usually about half the size of a gnome, a little longer, and looks amazingly similar to a boxed up wheelbarrow with a steam pipe, buttons and some levers on the handles, and a menacing looking spike in the front. Its actually weighted specifically so when rolling, it feels only like it weighs about 1/6th of what it really weighs. A normal one usually weighs around 100 pounds straight (larger and smaller ones have been known to be made for friends of gnomes). When properly used, it has several settings. Easy burrowing: Burrows through soft earth slowly, making a safe and sound tunnel for the correct size person to crawl through. Easy Dwelling: Makes a specified size cavern (must be completely driven through) thats safe, also slowly and through soft earth. Frenzied burrowing: Like soft, but much faster and the stability is a bit lessened, it has a dwelling mode as well but is rarely used. OH HELL mode: Tears through soft earth as fast as the user can push it (gravity is included in this one, if user is pushing straight down it is as if user is falling, until user makes an incline or makes the machine stop. at a stop include damage), but causing immediate collapse behind him, if the user trips, fumbles, or just has his arms to darn long while pushing the device, he's caught in the collapse as well, there is no dwelling in this mode obviously. Easy, Frenzied, and OH HELL digging: Same as burrowing, but must be set ahead of time for working in areas that one might encounter a lot of stone work, digger might be damaged severely if it hits something hard enough (can take on iron, but not much past that).

DC 35, Explosion chance: variable, burrowing: easy 1%, frenzied 3%, OH HELL mode 4% per 10ft of speed.
Necessary components: Picks, shovels, smooth sheets of metal, LOTS of metal, something pliable to make wheels out of, and either a magical piece of an earthen burrowing creature/elemental or some special way to get rid of all the dirt that accumalates inside the machine (it will literally swallow quite a bit of the stuff except in OH HELL mode)
Damage: Can cause damage if you decide to "burrow" through someone. If its something made out of Earthen materials (Earth Elementals and the like) causes at least 3d12 damage and has a 50-50 chances of burrowing right through the creature (flip a coin) which may or may not kill it. anything else just takes 3d6 damage and dirties up the gears, making you have to clean it soon.

Rimx
2005-08-26, 03:26 AM
There's Earthshaker, from CM4 Earthshaker! (http://www.acaeum.com./DDIndexes/ModPages/ModScans/CM4.html), the gnomish giant robot/city.

Galeros
2005-08-27, 01:07 AM
Niasen:Other stuff is possible too. :D

Spuddly
2005-08-27, 02:55 AM
Gnomish Bazooka:
2d4+1 damage
range 60 ft
Affected by SR

This light-weight mithral tube inerraningly fires magical projectiles at enemies. Two rounds may loaded at a time, reloading takes a full round. One rocket may be fired a round. The rockets are explosive and do half damage to anything within a five foot radius from the impact.

Cost to construct:
2,500 gp
DC 20
Rockets cost 75 gp each (150 gp to load the bazooka) and require a DC of 15 to create.

The_Werebear
2005-08-28, 02:51 AM
Exploding Crossbow Bolts\

These appear to be simple steel crossbow bolts, but when struck hard, they blow into peices, destroying the bolt but dealing 2d6 extra damage. However, being shot can be considered being struck to hard. There is a 5% that a fired bolt will explode on the crossbow, destroying it, and dealing the damage to the crossbowman

dc 16 to create.
Required materials: 1 flask of nitroglycerin(or similar substance), hollowed steel bolts, blasting cap. This makes 20 bolts

Artful_Dodger
2005-09-06, 11:44 PM
I remember back in the day reading something along the lines of 'The Great Netbook of Tinkering' it was located on the d&dcommunity website, whatever became of that I cant say, but I do know it had the tinkering skill, timeline of scientific discoveries, and some useful NPC's and how they affected the realm of tinkering, hope this helps! :)

DarkLight140
2005-09-07, 01:34 AM
Hmmm... now how did I miss this? Here's something that might prove useful. Espicially if you make a habit of angering people who move faster than you do and have melee weapons.

Gnomish Escape Device #071b
This device is meant to deter persuers. It consists of a cylinder about a foot in diameter and three inches thick made of tin or another relatively light metal, and capped by a prominent latch.
When the user places the cylinder on the ground and twists the latch (a move action), the cylinder's true purpose becomes clear. The top of the cylinder raises about an inch, and long metal rods rapidly move outward from the top of the device, extending to a radius of 10'. "Radius", of course, being the correct term due to the fact that they immediately start spinning around very, very quickly- the user is required to make a DC 12 Reflex save to avoid triggering the device.
Anyone other than the user trying to move through the area the device wards must make two DC 14 Reflex saves to dodge the spinning rods. Obviously, flying enemies or users do not have this problem and can avoid triggering this device entirely at their option. When the metal rods have their spinning halted or impeded by anything, the cylinder explodes, dealing 2d6 piercing damage and 2d6 bludgeoning damage to everything within a 20' radius.
This device is remarkably reliable and error-free previous to use, but if punctured or damaged before it is used, the explosive will trigger. Additionally, the device has a 10% chance to trigger upon activation.
Rumors of versions of this device with 5', 15', or 20' long metal poles are entirely unsubstantiated*, as are rumors that some rather sadistic gnomes make a practice of flying over their enemies and dropping these devices on them immediately after activation**.

*See Gnomish Escape Device #071a, 071c, and 071d.
**See Gnomish Air Transit Device #165, also known as the Gnomish Whirligig.

Nietzche
2005-09-07, 05:41 AM
I once scripted a Gnome-built Rod of Penguin Detonation for a NWN PW.

Do I really need to elaborate on its function?

alec
2005-09-07, 05:48 AM
I think someone needs to set a damage rating for the Gnomish Burrower. I can see players using the device to dig holes through enemys (or at least trying ;)).

The_Werebear
2005-09-07, 06:05 PM
Exploding Sheep

These appear to be simple, harmless, fleecy, and very cute farmyard animals. However, they are mechanical constructs with one purpose-causing large amounts of harm to unsuspecting people. Once released from it's cage, the sheep will wander about a 40' radius, appearing to eat grass. When someone approaches within 10 feet, it detonates, dealing 5d6 shrapnel damage and 5d6 fire damage to all within 20' of the device(no save) and half that damage to everything between 20' and 40' out (dc 21 reflex for 1/2 damage). If abruptly shaken or poked, the sheep may (5% chance) detonate prematurely. The sheep are banned in five kingdoms, any found there with the sheep in their possesion will be put to death. They are embraced as holy weapons in eight others.

DarkLight140
2005-09-07, 09:39 PM
And more Gnomish artifacts of wonder and joy...

Gnomish Consumable Weapon #311: Gnomish War Rocket
This device is one of many variations on a simple concept: A weapon that moves towards the enemy and hurts them. This one manages to do so by means of a high-powered rocket propulsion system and explosive tip.
It's shaped like you'd expect a rocket to be shaped, a long cylinder with fins on the end and a pointed tip, this weapon measures about two feet from tip to tailfins and is approximately two inches in diameter. At the rear or the rocket is a simple fuse, which when lit sends the apparatus flying at incredible speeds in the direction is was pointed.
Lighting the fuse is a move action. At the end of the turn in which the fuse was lit, the rocket will fire, causing 2d4 fire damage to anyone holding the rocket. The rocket can be aimed as a standard action. The rocket can be either aimed while held, in which case the attack is resolved normally but the user takes damage, or it can be placed on the ground and aimed, which will not damage the user but inflicts a -6 penalty to the attack roll. Spending two full-round actions lining up the shot with the rocket placed on the ground will eliminate this penalty, but only works on stationary targets.
Once fired, the rocket leaps forward at a high rate of speed. If the attack roll exceeded the target's AC, then it impales the unfortunate target, dealing 3d6 piercing damage, before exploding. If the attack roll was greater than the target's touch AC, then the rocket explodes, dealing 3d6 fire damage and 2d6 bludgeoning damage.
Like most Gnomish devices, this is vulnerable to certain mishaps. In particular, 10% of the time when the fuse is lit, the rocket does fire correctly . Roll 2d6-2 to discover the number of rounds that will pass before the rocket goes off; when it does, it either explodes in place (50% chance) or fires off normally (in a random direction, unless it's still aimed; 50% chance). If the rocket is damaged or punctured previous to being fired, it will almost certainly explode immediately.

As a supplement... which almost but not quite eliminates the problems with the device...
Gnomish Weapon Launcher* #118
This device straps on to one's upper arm, and aids in the firing and aiming of the Gnomish War Rocket. It appears to be a metal arm-guard/bracer with a large, useless chipped metal backing and some clips at the front, but when a rocket is placed into the clips, its purpose becomes clear.
Through the use of the backing as both a shield and aiming device, the user can avoid the 2d4 fire damage inflicted by aiming the rocket by hand. Unfortunately, the clips interfere somewhat with the release of the fins, so there is a 5% chance of the rocket getting caught, drastically changing direction, smashing into the ground at the user's feet, and detonating there.
Loading a rocket into the launcher is a move action. Taking actions with a rocket loaded into the launcher is not recommended.
*See Gnomish Consumable Weapon #311 for ammunition details.

Seffbasilisk
2005-09-07, 09:53 PM
Automatic Ram (like the portable ram in equipment)

Its the ram on wheels in a large iron box. Put coal or lamp oil in to run it for an hour a pint/shoveful. Needs water every two weeks. Can be ridden with a ride check (dc 15) and Disable Device (dc 15) for a base speed of 70.

When set up to break down a door, you clear a path for the ram. prime it with twice the amount needed for a week, aim and pull the lever. The ram hits the door with the equivelant force of being swung forward by a beast with a strength mod of +20. On a roll of 1, in either disable device to ride it, or a 1 in the attack roll to ram the door the ram explodes dealing 5d6 fire damage in a 10ft radius and 3d8 shrapnel damage in a 50ft radius. It also makes a large 'boom'.

A silencer can be purchased for the ram, by putting a rune of globe of silence permanent on two spots on the ram. On the head (so the crash doesnt echo) and on the body so the rattle and clank doesnt make noise.

Artful_Dodger
2005-09-10, 05:03 AM
Hey Galeros,

I found the link for the Big Book of Tinkering, hope this helps you create a truley devistating gnomish tinkerer!

And yes, WoW is the greatest online game every created,

http://www.dndcommunitycouncil.org/~nbotink

Artful_Dodger
2005-09-10, 05:17 AM
Heh, heh, heh,

Well I'm an idiot, I should have checked the link, it doesnt work, email me if you want the book, if anyone who was part of the dndcommunitycouncil.org site doesnt like me doing this, just tell me and I'll happily honor your wishes,

Yours in Scouting, Artful Dodger

Galeros
2005-09-11, 08:30 PM
Thanks man, I have got it. I like it a lot, but it seemed a bit heavy-handed towards the Minoi and I got a bit annoyed when it said "This is a fantasy setting so lasers and rocket launchers are not possible" well that was a paraphrasing of it anyways. I was looking for more fantastical Tinkering rules and items, but those are still cool.

Kylenpc
2005-09-11, 08:56 PM
The gnomish shrinkifier ray.
it srhinks your enemys or it shrinks u or other stuff.

Artful_Dodger
2005-09-12, 03:46 AM
"I got a bit annoyed when it said "This is a fantasy setting so lasers and rocket launchers are not possible"

~Galeros

Lol, me to man, my munchkin screamed when I read that, still had heaps of use though, barrels of exploding fun!

Yours in Scouting, Artful Dodger

Galeros
2005-09-12, 05:46 PM
The gnomish shrinkifier ray.
it srhinks your enemys or it shrinks u or other stuff.

Im surprised I never thought of that one. :)

Spuddly
2005-09-12, 06:35 PM
Gnomish Warwalker–

This is an iron golem redesigned to house a gnome, fires gatling guns and rockets.

The Gnomish Warwalker is exactly the same as an iron golem in the MM, except in order for it to work a gnome must be riding inside of it. Modes of are different, as well.

The cockpit is lined with lead and seals magically upon command, granting the driver the same immunities as the golem husk he rides in. The driver is also safe from all damage.

When the Warwalker takes over 40 damage, the cockpit becomes ruptured. Any spells or attacks aimed at the Warwalker have a 15% chance of hitting the driver. For spells and attacks aimed directly at the driver, he gains a 3/4 cover bonus (driver is denied dex).

As a full round action, the driver may attack using the gatling gun, spraying all objects and creatures within an arc radius of 30° and for 40' 3d4 points of damage that count as both piercing and bludgeoning. Reflex save for half, DC 21.
The rounds fired from the gatling gun may be magically enhanced or coated with special metals to bypass damage reduction.
If the gatling gun is used two rounds in a row, there's a 25% chance that it overheats for 1d4 rounds. Treat this effect as cumulative.

The Warwalker also carries 24 rockets. These are magically guided, and do 2d6fire damage, 1d6piercing and 1d6 bludgeoning damage to a single target, half damage to anything in a 5' radius (no save). To fire a rocket, role a d20+10 to hit. If the rocket succeeds in hitting a target by touch AC but misses by armor class, it deals 1/2 damage instead. If it misses by more than touch AC, the rocket continues pass the target and deals damage to whatever it collides with (DM discretion).
Firing a rocket requires aquisition of a target (a move equivalent action) and an attack action. Any round that the Warwalker does not move, it may choose a new target as a move equivalent action.
There is a 3% chance that a rocket detonates prematurely when the Warwalker, dealing all the damage to the Warwalker.

The Warwalker may also make two attacks a round with it's non-gatling gun arm for 2d6 damage. Treat to hit, reach and damage type as an iron golem.

During any round, a Gnomish Warwalker has a 10% chance of overheating and stalling. This lasts 1d4 rounds or until a disable device of DC 21 or higher is made.

Driving a Warwalker requires a Disable device DC of 15, attacking with one requires a disable device check of DC 20.

Building an Gnomish Warwalker requires a dead iron golem and 20,000 gp worth of materials. It takes 5 weeks to convert the iron golem and build the components (ammunition included).

Reloading a Warwalker requires a disable device DC of 10. One may not take 10 while in battle to reload.

felblood
2005-09-12, 10:59 PM
Here's a doodad for those of you who like to make a lot of noise and still pass unseen.

Gnome Flashbang (originally designed as a dog training aid these things are better suited to dungeon crawling):

In simplest terms, its a smokestick, white phosphorus, and wood alcohol in a metal case, equipped with a pin locked, spring lever activated, encased powder fuse (the kind you find on WWII grenades, but larger and less reliable). the whole thing weighs 5 pounds.

There are two things you can do with this thing:

1. Pull out the pin (move action). This causes the fuse to light if the device ever leaves your hand, or (if the DM rolls a one behind his screen) immediately. Once the fuse lights the device explodes at the start of the next round.

2. Throw it (ranged attack, usually aimed at an empty square). This does one of four things depending on another hidden d20 roll: 1 renders the flashbang a dud, 2-3 breaks open the flashbang; which has the same effect as a regular smoke stick, 4-9 causes the thing to explode, 10-20 causes the flashbang to just sit there in the space it lands in.

Usually you take both actions in that order, because when the device explodes it does four things:

1.Removes the hand of anyone holding it.
2. Blinds anyone looking at it. (Plain old gaze attack)
3. Deafens anyone within 30 feet, who isn't behind a wall or immune to sonic effects. (Probably should have a fortitude save, but I can't decide on the DC. 23?)
4.Smokes up the area just like a regular smoke stick.

500gps and two smoke sticks a pop, at DC 20

Collateral Damage Engine (CDE for short):

Legless Legrin (who got his nick-name while inventing this particular design) developed this while trying to make a gas cylinder powered (he used smoke sticks instead of steam) mobile storage trunk whick would carry all his adventuring gear for him (In a way he accomplished his goal of avoiding sore feet at the end of every dungeon crawl).

Crafting requirements: a 5x5 foot cube of iron or steel, 5x [the number of rounds it needs to run] smokesticks, and 1 to 5 wands (crafters decision) of a spell which can be cast at an empty square or a wall(fireball is recomended, but lightning bolt and many others could be used; feel free to mix and match) you could substitute rods or staves for wands(even rod of wonders, if you want to expend it), 25,000 Gps several bottles of alchemist's fire (at least five, but more is better.) a DC 35 tinkering check, and a serious mental health problem.

Upon activation the first thing a CDE does is catch on fire, anyone who toutches it takes 1d6 points of fire damage. Every round after it is activaded there is a 50% chance for each wand that it will fire that wand in a random direction to a random distance (if applicable), and a 75% chance that it will move 1d10 x 5 feet in a random direction. Also, anyone within 60 feet but make a DC 30 reflex save or take 1d4 peirceing damage, and make a DC 21 reflex save or take 1d6 slashing damage, due to flying gears and debris. Any time the Engine is hit by an physical attack or otherwise jostled it splashes alchemists fire in their direction, unless it has only 5 of it's original vials left in which case it does nothing. At the end of every round after the first the GM makes a check, on a roll of 1 the Engine explodes dealing 2d8 slashing and 3d6 fire damage it anyone within 120 feet (reflex halves). It also explodes if it runs out of smoke sticks. Exploding automaticly breaks any wands or other items that were inside the engine if they were breakable, without requiring the usual strength check.

Once it goes active a CDE cannot be shut down, you just have to destroy it to make it stop. It has the break DC, DR, AC, HP, and other combat properties of the original metal cube, but it is vulnerable to critical hits (due to the relatively delicate clockworks inside.). Destroying or disabling the engine also causes it to explode. Knocking it over(strength check DC 30) causes it to explode, transfering it from one plane to another causes it to explode on both side of the portal. Anything I didn't think of probably causes it to explode.

There is a 15% chance (1-3 on a d20) the thing will immediately go active when it is completed. You cannot add items to, or take items out of, the engine after it is finnished without making this check again. You can deliberately set the engine to go active in a set number of rounds, by making a successful tinker check at DC 15. Failure causes immediate activation. Dropping, kicking, or otherwise jostling an inactive CDE incurs a 75% chance of going active.

SpiderBrigade
2005-09-13, 03:31 AM
Wow, Felblood, that CDE is...wow. I'm guessing you'd use this as an encounter, rather than as something your PCs would craft?

It might be interesting to have a party come across Legless Legrin's original plans, not knowing what happened to him, only seeing plans for a walking treasure chest...

Now we just need a Gnomish Hearbeat Sensor...

The_Werebear
2005-09-13, 08:04 AM
Gnomish Behemoth

Also called "Barrels". These are mobile platforms for seige weapons. They have a set of treads on the side of thier box shaped torsos (40 feet a round, fires as it moves), powered by several steam and alchemist fire run engines. A turret with a balista, catapult, or Gnomish Optic Ignitor is set on top of the bottom part, and can rotate to face other targets. The design still has some flaws though. Each turn that the barrel moves, there is a 5% chance one of its three engines explodes. This deals 1d6 fire and 1d6 shrapnel to everything around it. Including the other engines, which only have 4 hp, possibly causing other explosions. Also, the turret isn't stable. When firing, there is a 5% chance it will fire in a random direction as the turret suddenly and unexpectedly changes direction

Spuddly
2005-09-13, 09:49 AM
I'm thinking a Metal Gear Gnome would be pretty sweet.

felblood
2005-09-13, 03:06 PM
Spider Brigade said:

Wow, Felblood, that CDE is...wow. I'm guessing you'd use this as an encounter, rather than as something your PCs would craft?

It didn't design it for any particular purpose. Is there anything collateral damage can't solve?

I was originally going to make a spell that summoned a similar thing, but then I say this thread and thought, "Why not put it there and save yourself the trouble of giving it a CR or a spell level?"

--And thus a new horror was unleashed on an unsuspecting world.

Niasen
2005-09-16, 05:53 PM
Well after a while, I think I thought of an interesting one

Gnomish random assembler and compiler

This little device has been around in heavy industry area's for years, it is usually about 10ft tall, and over 1000 pounds, its sole purpose is to help inventors with there raw materials, speeding up the process and making it much safer and faster. The secret to making these things is well guarded, supposedly for our safety, and the exorbitant charges for using the machine is for safety issues. The rumors of there being a guild who is just merely using the word "safety" to cover up there greed are of course entirely false, and not be considered carefully, as is the rumor that plans for a PORTABLE Assembler that was safe were created once by a gnome in Lantan is also just way out. And remember kids, that supposed "creator" died in a sheep involved accident, the Holy weapon of the country he was visiting, so obviously the gods punished him for being a liar.

Basically the big device is almost impossible for one person to make, but if your character can figure out how or find the plans for the smaller more portable one, its DC check is only 20, but there's a catch. If he's caught with it by any city guardsman or any place with knowledge of the larger devices, there's a 60% chance that a bounty will be put on his head to get rid of evidence of the device, regardless of whether he was showing it off or not. Its function is simple. For mass producing items it can lessen the time it takes to make items by half, but if you keep changing what you make it'll take the same amount of time as usual (turning knobs and settings and such). It reduces costs both of xp and gold by .75, and you can sometimes skip certain difficult refining steps. It also lowers the dc of any tinkering check by 5.

Furanku_S
2005-09-18, 05:47 PM
Hide the children in the cellar and bolt anything pointy to the ground, because I came up with some more wacky inventions!

Mertolliort's Magnifi-Stupendous Grappling Vest

This device consists of a bronze vest (with spacers at the shoulder and waist to allow for different user sizes) brandishing a large, multifaceted crystal pentagon. When a button on the left shoulder is pressed, a hook adjoined to 50' of rope is shot straight forward; pressing a button on the right shoulder causes the rope to retract, reulsting in a sudden movement of whoever is currently wearing the vest.

Known problems:

-Due to the nature of the retraction mechanism, the device may just pull whatever it hooked to TOWARDS the user.

-Moving at all while the rope advances causes a rather nasty result (try holding a fully extended measuring tape and spinning around while releasing the catch to see what I mean).

-Mertolliort was unable to implement a speed control on the retractor, due to his death during the early days of experimenting (death thought to have been caused by lack of speed-controlling mechanism).

The Arachno-Ambler

This is, against all laws of probability and good taste, a completely flawless Gnomish mechanism. This set of arachnid-like (arachnine?) legs can cross vertical cliffs, ceilings, sufficiently salinated (IE Great Salt Lake) water, and any other terrain except sand without penalty. No moving parts are exposed to the air, the power source is internally contained and essentially infinite, and it is impossible to explode it by any means other than strapping explosives to it!

Convincing the user to cut his legs off and replace them with the device, however...

EDIT: How could I forget my real-life plans for an

ADHESIVE SCORPION CANNON!

To put it quickly, make a flamethrower, with the following substitutions:

-Replace oil or other flammable substance with live scorpions (adjusting tubes accordingly)

-Replace flame with (Sovereign?) glue sprayer

XD

Lysander
2005-09-19, 12:41 AM
Gnome Tickler

This small fist-sized insect-like automaton is designed to scurry around a gnome's back tickling and poking it to result in an amazing massage. It was only designed with gnomes in mind though: If thrown at any other humanoid though the massage patterns of the machine are incredibly painful and the person will be forced to try grabbing the agile machine and pull it off.

McDeath
2006-07-28, 09:34 AM
The Perpendicular Molecule Signal
This is a glass tube filled with special chemicals; when turned one way up, it is blue; the other way, red. If dropped, they shatter. This isn't too bad by itself, but the chemicals inside explode when mixed with oxygen. An exploding signal deals 1d6 fire damage and 1d3 bludgeoning damage to everyone with in 5 ft.

Most adventurers use these to signal danger to others or, when said danger is too close, as grenades.