PDA

View Full Version : HP and the HB Prince [Spoilers... soon?]

The Vorpal Tribble
2009-07-15, 09:32 AM
Ok, despite the fact I'm no Harry Potter fanatic, I went to the midnight viewing of this'un and I have to say it was the best of the lot. Easily. It was pure epic. Too bad the film was only PG and the books didn't allow leeway for darker stuff because some of the creepy scenes could have been expanded to be some totally toe-curling terror. It also cracked me up as well as bringing a tear to me eye, and had several very touching scenes.

I'd say it's the best movie come out this year, and I've watched most of them. Bravo Mr. Director!

Ditto
2009-07-15, 09:45 AM
I'm seeing it tomorrow and it looks fantastic, but I'm really leery of the ways I've read they changed the ending. Significantly. I don't know how closely you remember the book (if you read it) and subsequently how much you'd care, but it sounds like some fairly major jumping around.

The Vorpal Tribble
2009-07-15, 09:47 AM
I'm seeing it tomorrow and it looks fantastic, but I'm really leery of the ways I've read they changed the ending. Significantly. I don't know how closely you remember the book (if you read it) and subsequently how much you'd care, but it sounds like some fairly major jumping around.
The ending is pretty darned close to how I remember it in the book.

Kris on a Stick
2009-07-15, 09:53 AM
Your semi-review makes me excited. I'm seeing it on Sunday, and I hope it's good.

Aidan305
2009-07-15, 10:24 AM
A couple of people I know were tempted to go this evening and shout "Snape Kills Dumbledore"

They decided they liked living. I'm looking forward to it though.

Kyouhen
2009-07-15, 10:31 AM
A couple of people I know were tempted to go this evening and shout "Snape Kills Dumbledore"

Does that even work anymore? :smallconfused:

T-O-E
2009-07-15, 10:39 AM
If they're fanatic enough to harm you for spoiling the ending, they've probably already read the book.

Zeta Kai
2009-07-15, 10:43 AM
Yeah, this hasn't gotten to "Vader is Luke's dad" territory yet, but the spoilerometer is ticking down. I'd say the Harry Potter series is widespread enough that it's secrets are approaching The Sixth Sense proportions.

Obrysii
2009-07-15, 10:44 AM
It was my favorite book, so I'm exciting to see it.

I've been told that Draco's actor was wonderful and Harry's actor continues his trend of steadily worsening as the series progresses.

Calmness
2009-07-15, 10:50 AM
I'm really looking forward to this, mainly beacuse 6 was my favorite of the lot.

They better keep the ending intact.

H. Zee
2009-07-15, 11:01 AM
Going to go see it in... 3 hours.

I'm glad the Tribble likes it, from what opinions of his I've read, him and I appear to share a similar taste in films.

Archonic Energy
2009-07-15, 11:37 AM
Does that even work anymore? :smallconfused:

i'm seeing it with my mate tomorrow and after he read the 2nd book before the film he concluded that the extra time reading it wasn't worth what was added to the story...
suffice to say while we're picking up the tickets i'm going to tell him "Draco kills Snape"...

or maybe that "James was the half blood prince"
:smallamused:

The Dark Fiddler
2009-07-15, 11:39 AM
I'm not really that excited. I read the books, and I've seen all the movies so far, and.... blah.

From what I've seen of the movie (commercials), they're putting alot more stress on the romance than the book did. That worked a lot better as a sub-plot. I also hear they got rid of the first part of the book (talking to the Prime Minister).

Glad my prediction of them changing it so Dumbledore didn't die didn't come true though, as much as I still miss him....

Morty
2009-07-15, 11:40 AM
Hm. Although I enjoyed the books, I never liked the four movies I saw... I might consider it when it's out on DVD or if someone suddenly invites me to a theater.

Mauve Shirt
2009-07-15, 12:15 PM
It got pretty crappy reviews, but I'm glad you liked it! That makes me a little more hopeful. I hear they concentrated more on the romance drama than the exposition. The exposition is the interesting part!

Blue Ghost
2009-07-15, 01:00 PM
All the feedback I've heard about the movie was positive, but then again, I wasn't digging very deeply. I'm hoping to see it sometime, but I have no idea when I'll be able to.

Ditto
2009-07-15, 01:14 PM
Mauve Shirt, the movie's getting mostly positive reviews... it was something like 95% on RottenTomatoes from advance screenings, at about 90% today.

Also, teenage snogging was probably a good third of the book. The whoooole middle = snogfest and teen romantic angst (as opposed to teen mortality angst, which was book 5). I need to give it another readthrough, since I don't think I did it all the way through since I originally picked it up.

VT, the article I read said the ending Does not contain the battle of Hogwarts AT Hogwarts. I'd think there would be less 'dramatic falling from towers' at any other location. Also, totally going to confuse people trying to call the next movie's events 'The second battle of Hogwarts'. :smallamused:

kpenguin
2009-07-15, 05:15 PM
So, my best friend and I decided to take the time and watch all of the five previous HP movies and it made me fall in love with Harry Potter all over again. Honestly, if I didn't watch through that marathon I wouldn't be excited for the HB Prince.

skywalker
2009-07-15, 06:05 PM
The big part of the ending is...

Snape kills Dumbledore.

That's pretty hard to screw up, in my opinion.

I've never found the movies that compelling. I like the books, but mostly because I think they're good books. I do not have a t-shirt, and the last time I dressed up like a character was in 6th grade.

I'm gonna go see the movie, probably tomorrow. But I probably won't have a very passionate opinion either way. It would have to be a masterpiece or a travesty, and I don't envision it being either of those.

H. Zee
2009-07-15, 06:06 PM
Okay, just got back from watching it. And, true to my prediction earlier in the thread, absolutely bloody loved it. Thoughts:

The guy who played Draco Malfoy acted his pants off! Damn that kid was good. You know you have talent when you're a young, inexperienced, relatively unknown actor who outshines an entire cast of professional thespians. I foresee a great disturbance in the Force. As if a hundred thousand fangirls squeed out in rapture... and just kept going.

The pacing was definitely the best of any HP film so far.

I can see how the rom-com elements might be wearing to some, but it was such an accurate portrayal of teenage life (in my school anyway) that I loved every second of it.

Inferi = Incredibly creepy and well-done.

Ron's goalkeeping skills = Glorious.

I can't remember if the attack on the Burrow occurred in the book, but it was certainly the weakest and least convincing part of the film. Apart from this, though, this was probably the film which has been most accurate to the source material so far.

And no, they don't screw up the ending. The big battle doesn't occur, but Dumbledore's death does, pretty much as in the book, except Harry isn't petrified, just out of reach.

EvilDMMk3
2009-07-15, 06:11 PM
In my opinion, too much romance and not enough of my favorite part of the book (which to my mind is the first not-good book of the series, taking a true nosedive for the finale) which was our chance to develop the your Voldermort, to see how he became. Such a crucial part, reduced to two memories (if if you count the fake).

What a waste.

The Blackbird
2009-07-15, 06:13 PM
SNAPE KILLS DUMBLEDOR

Lord Seth
2009-07-15, 07:26 PM
Can someone tell me if they cut down on the romance stuff that was in the book, or at least improved it? Because that was my biggest problem with the book: J.K. Rowling just can't write romance. There's no shame in that (I doubt I can do much better), but if you're going to pack your book with a lot of it, then your weakness becomes apparent and lowers the quality.

Moglorosh
2009-07-15, 07:42 PM
Okay, just got back from watching it. And, true to my prediction earlier in the thread, absolutely bloody loved it. Thoughts:

The guy who played Draco Malfoy acted his pants off! Damn that kid was good. You know you have talent when you're a young, inexperienced, relatively unknown actor who outshines an entire cast of professional thespians. I foresee a great disturbance in the Force. As if a hundred thousand fangirls squeed out in rapture... and just kept going.

The pacing was definitely the best of any HP film so far.

I can see how the rom-com elements might be wearing to some, but it was such an accurate portrayal of teenage life (in my school anyway) that I loved every second of it.

Inferi = Incredibly creepy and well-done.

Ron's goalkeeping skills = Glorious.I agree up until this point.

I can't remember if the attack on the Burrow occurred in the book, but it was certainly the weakest and least convincing part of the film. Apart from this, though, this was probably the film which has been most accurate to the source material so far.It did not happen in the book.

And no, they don't screw up the ending. The big battle doesn't occur, but Dumbledore's death does, pretty much as in the book, except Harry isn't petrified, just out of reach.Yes, they did. The big battle is the entire point of the Vanishing Cabinet plotline. Leaving it out makes that entire buildup pointless. The battle should have been the climax of the film, but as it was, the Inferi in the lake took that role. Snape killing Dumbledore wasn't a surprise, it was a given. People who didn't even read the book knew it was going to happen, there was no suspense whatsoever.

Snape's big reveal? Absolutely destroyed. A nonchalant mention of what the title of the movie means? Weak, at best.

I can understand why they left the funeral out, but that was a big disappointment for a lot of people as well.

Dumbledore lives
2009-07-15, 07:45 PM
I saw it at the first showing here in New Zealand, which was at 11 AM. I thought it was much better than the previous couple movies, though it took away more things then it needed too. It also added quite a few things that I can not see a reason too, like the attack on the burrow. I felt the romance was ... alright. There is no funeral though. That really annoyed me as it was a great part in the book.

It also seemed to be way to focused on the main characters, Lavender, Ginnie, and Malfoy. It seemed every time it zoomed away from one character it would just show another. Though in the brief parts with Loona she was great.

Overall though, it was a good movie, that deviated from the book unnecessarily, but definitely better than the last couple movies. Planning to see it again in theaters.

skywalker
2009-07-15, 09:04 PM
It did not happen in the book.

Altho it did happen in book 7.

Yes, they did. The big battle is the entire point of the Vanishing Cabinet plotline. Leaving it out makes that entire buildup pointless. The battle should have been the climax of the film, but as it was, the Inferi in the lake took that role. Snape killing Dumbledore wasn't a surprise, it was a given. People who didn't even read the book knew it was going to happen, there was no suspense whatsoever.

Snape's big reveal? Absolutely destroyed. A nonchalant mention of what the title of the movie means? Weak, at best.

I can understand why they left the funeral out, but that was a big disappointment for a lot of people as well.

I'm not sure how you can have a vanishing cabinet storyline without the fight at Hogwarts. Please don't tell me how they try to tie it together, but wow. That does seem dumb.

Keep in mind that Snape's big reveal wasn't too terribly clever in the book, either. At least for me.

I'm curious to see how Tom Felton acted now. It sounds like he did a really good job.

rankrath
2009-07-15, 10:00 PM
Just got back from watching it, my thoughts:

It's better than 3,4,&5, but worse than 1&2. They were faithful to the book 95% of the time, and did a good job distilling a 650 page book down into a two and a half hour movie. That being said, I do have some gripes, spoilered below.

Gripe 1: The Harry/Ginny romance was heavily bastardized, and kind of ran all over the place. The mutual crush was established well, but the rest of it was rather heavy-handed. Ginny goes chasing off after Harry during the attack on the burrow, and they kiss in the room of requirement, but after that, when Harry takes Felix Felicis, Ginny and Dean are seen entering the common room as a couple. Furthermore, that's the last mention it gets in the film.

Gripe 2: The attack on the Burrow. A completely random, not in the book, waste of screen time that would have been better used at the end, so the film could have an actual ending battle.

Lord Seth
2009-07-15, 10:12 PM
Just got back from watching it, my thoughts:

It's better than 3,4,&5, but worse than 1&2. They were faithful to the book 95% of the time, and did a good job distilling a 650 page book down into a two and a half hour movie. That being said, I do have some gripes, spoilered below.

Gripe 1: The Harry/Ginny romance was heavily bastardized, and kind of ran all over the place. The mutual crush was established well, but the rest of it was rather heavy-handed. Ginny goes chasing off after Harry during the attack on the burrow, and they kiss in the room of requirement, but after that, when Harry takes Felix Felicis, Ginny and Dean are seen entering the common room as a couple. Furthermore, that's the last mention it gets in the film.

Gripe 2: The attack on the Burrow. A completely random, not in the book, waste of screen time that would have been better used at the end, so the film could have an actual ending battle.
I haven't seen the movie so I can't comment, but I don't know about #1 in the movie. I do know I found it to be cringe-inducing in the book, so are you saying the movie made it even worse?

rankrath
2009-07-15, 10:15 PM
I haven't seen the movie so I can't comment, but I don't know about #1 in the movie. I do know I found it to be cringe-inducing in the book, so are you saying the movie made it even worse?

Not more cringe-inducing, it's more brushed on and nodded to, then abandoned.

KerfuffleMach2
2009-07-15, 10:50 PM
Overall, I feel this is the one that has stayed the best with the book. It is definitely the best for people who haven't read the book.

But, as with all of them, I have my nitpicks.

Ron trying out for Keeper. That was in the fifth, not the sixth.

No fight at Hogwarts. That was major. I mean, that's when Bill gets scarred.

The attack on The Burrow was not in any of the books at all. Not really needed.

No funeral. Although, they may throw that into the beginning of the next one.

They didn't have Fudge explaining to the Muggle Prime Minister what was going on, and that he was being replaced. In fact, they didn't even mention Rufus.

They didn't involve Fenrir as much as they should. He showed up a couple of times, but nobody mentioned his name. In fact, I wouldn't have known it was him if I didn't see a wanted poster they had in Diagon alley.

Didn't do much with Ollivander getting captured.

Missed a couple memories that I thought were important. The ones dealing with the Gaunts.

Tonks was barely shown at all. They didn't even have her find Harry on the train. They had Luna do it.

No Fleur.

Here are some things they did that I thought were, actually, really good.

When Dumbledore showed Harry the ring. Harry went to touch it, and the ring went crazy, and several images quickly flashed through Harry's mind, each having to do with Voldemort. He twitched a little, and Dumbledore seemed to have noticed this, and watched him carefully. I thought that was good foreshadowing for the next movie.

They did mention Regulus. When Harry and Dumbledore first went to get Slughorn, he showed Harry pictures of his past students. One picture had the Slytherin Quidditch team. And Slughorn pointed Regulus out.

In the Astronomy Tower, before Harry and Dumbledore left for the cave, they showed Snape talking to Dumbledore about not liking something he had to do. This conversation was in the seventh book. In Snape's memories. It's when Dumbledore was telling Snape about his plans for his own death. More good foreshadowing.

rankrath
2009-07-15, 11:09 PM

That was in the sixth, pages 223-226.

Ridureyu
2009-07-15, 11:11 PM
The problem is that the movie is already two and a half hours long, and they had to make some hard decisions for the economy of time.

Lord Seth
2009-07-15, 11:46 PM
Overall, I feel this is the one that has stayed the best with the book. It is definitely the best for people who haven't read the book.

But, as with all of them, I have my nitpicks.

No fight at Hogwarts. That was major. I mean, that's when Bill gets scarred.

The attack on The Burrow was not in any of the books at all. Not really needed.

No funeral. Although, they may throw that into the beginning of the next one.

They didn't have Fudge explaining to the Muggle Prime Minister what was going on, and that he was being replaced. In fact, they didn't even mention Rufus.

They didn't involve Fenrir as much as they should. He showed up a couple of times, but nobody mentioned his name. In fact, I wouldn't have known it was him if I didn't see a wanted poster they had in Diagon alley.

Didn't do much with Ollivander getting captured.

Missed a couple memories that I thought were important. The ones dealing with the Gaunts.

Tonks was barely shown at all. They didn't even have her find Harry on the train. They had Luna do it.

No Fleur.

Here are some things they did that I thought were, actually, really good.

When Dumbledore showed Harry the ring. Harry went to touch it, and the ring went crazy, and several images quickly flashed through Harry's mind, each having to do with Voldemort. He twitched a little, and Dumbledore seemed to have noticed this, and watched him carefully. I thought that was good foreshadowing for the next movie.

They did mention Regulus. When Harry and Dumbledore first went to get Slughorn, he showed Harry pictures of his past students. One picture had the Slytherin Quidditch team. And Slughorn pointed Regulus out.

In the Astronomy Tower, before Harry and Dumbledore left for the cave, they showed Snape talking to Dumbledore about not liking something he had to do. This conversation was in the seventh book. In Snape's memories. It's when Dumbledore was telling Snape about his plans for his own death. More good foreshadowing.What's wrong with cutting out the part with the Prime Minister? While I liked that part, it was pretty much irrelevant to the story, and lots of it was the Prime Minister thinking to himself, which is tough to put in a movie.

Trodon
2009-07-15, 11:52 PM
It was a very good movie I will say no more for now.

Turcano
2009-07-15, 11:56 PM

They decided they liked living. I'm looking forward to it though.

"Snape kills Trinity with Rosebud!" (http://xkcd.com/109/) Also, Trinity has a penis.

The_JJ
2009-07-16, 01:23 AM
The big battle is the entire point of the Vanishing Cabinet plotline. Leaving it out makes that entire buildup pointless. The battle should have been the climax of the film, but as it was, the Inferi in the lake took that role. Snape killing Dumbledore wasn't a surprise, it was a given. People who didn't even read the book knew it was going to happen, there was no suspense whatsoever.

Well I was gonna post up here but this about sums my feelings up. Umm... yeah, why didn't Draco walk up to Dumby and have Snape step in if ya ain't gonna have a battle between Death Eaters and Hogwartians. Particularly unfortunate what with the nonsensical addition of the Burrow attack. WTF?

Other things bothered me, like how they take care to show that they've got new guards. How hard would it have been to stick Tonks in there? Little things like that.

Much like how I watched the fifth book and laughed as Umbrage broke into the Room of Req suring the DA practice and cut out the elfs. It kinda ruins, I dunno, most of the seventh book, with the Room being unreachable so long as someone stays inside

Little things they didn't need to change.

Xondoure
2009-07-16, 01:43 AM
Best of the HP films so far...
Complaints:
Dialogue seemed choppy up until around halfway through the movie
They spent too much time on the romance to go ahead and throw up all over it like they did
Harry has no way of knowing what the other horcruxes are
The GOD ---- BURROW SCENE
Still, it was pretty darn good in comparison to previous HP films.

Lord Loss
2009-07-16, 07:29 AM
DUMBLEDORE DIES???

Oh, right, I read the books. I knew that.

I'm seeing it tonight :smallbiggrin:.

Obrysii
2009-07-16, 07:39 AM
It got pretty crappy reviews, but I'm glad you liked it! That makes me a little more hopeful. I hear they concentrated more on the romance drama than the exposition. The exposition is the interesting part!

The Onion's multimedia review book, whose name is utterly escaping me, gave it a B.

With all of the teen drama shows on TV, it doesn't surprise me if they focus on the teen drama more than the juicy plot elements.

I'm seeing it in two hours so, I guess I'll be finding out soon.

Edit: Also, didn't the trailers show Dumbledore disapparating and apparating into/out of Hogwarts? I mean, they drive the point home on multiple occasions that you can't do that - that potent, ancient magic prevents such from working (though House Elven magic ignores these protections).

Ditto
2009-07-16, 03:00 PM
I'd be upset about no Scrimgeour because Bill Nighy is cast to play him. I'd love to have more Bill Nighy!

Kerfuffle, like rankrath says, that item #3 was in book 6. The event it refers to happens at the end of book 6, so obviously they couldn't have the conversation in book 7 when one of the two is dead! We just *learned* about the whole conversation in the flashback at the end of book 7. (Though SuperNinjaCommando Portrait Dumbledore probly would have had such a conversation anyway, then planned D-Day, then done the laundry. I really hate how not-dead Dumbledore basically was in book 7 because of his portrait.)

valadil
2009-07-16, 03:11 PM

I dunno about that. It jumped around a lot and skimmed quite a few plots without dealing with them in any depth. I found it confusing and I read the book within the last year. It seemed like a good recap for someone who had read the book and needed a refresher, but someone who hadn't would be utterly lost.

skywalker
2009-07-17, 03:32 AM
Best of the HP films so far...
Complaints:
Dialogue seemed choppy up until around halfway through the movie
They spent too much time on the romance to go ahead and throw up all over it like they did
Harry has no way of knowing what the other horcruxes are
The GOD ---- BURROW SCENE
Still, it was pretty darn good in comparison to previous HP films.

+1

I thought they did a good job with the romance, until they blew it all to bloody hell. Also, the Ron-Hermione angle was way too forward for my tastes.

The burrow scene was pretty much a complete WTF? moment for everybody, I think.

But I agree with your last point, I'm glad they finally made it an adult-ish film, with a decent premise and good thematic presence.

Edit: Also, didn't the trailers show Dumbledore disapparating and apparating into/out of Hogwarts? I mean, they drive the point home on multiple occasions that you can't do that - that potent, ancient magic prevents such from working (though House Elven magic ignores these protections).

You've probably seen it by now, but for those wondering, Dumbledore specifically states that he can just do it. Because he is Dumbledore. I **** you not.

I dunno about that. It jumped around a lot and skimmed quite a few plots without dealing with them in any depth. I found it confusing and I read the book within the last year. It seemed like a good recap for someone who had read the book and needed a refresher, but someone who hadn't would be utterly lost.

I'm convinced that nobody who has ever read a Harry Potter book can accurately judge these films as they would be seen by a non-reader. YMMV but I don't think it can be done. Too much bias. You can say "well that would've confused me!" all you want to, but really we don't know. I mean, anything can get confusing after 6 movies! Think about if the plot of Star Wars built on the previous films (which it kinda does, but not really.) We'd all be lost!

Ichneumon
2009-07-17, 03:42 AM
Think about if the plot of Star Wars built on the previous films (which it kinda does, but not really.) We'd all be lost!

I can tell you this: If the first Star Wars movie you ever saw was Episode II, you wouldn't get it.

Obrysii
2009-07-17, 06:40 AM
I went to it yesterday. I definitely like the cinematography (except the burrow scene - shaky cameras = horrible except in Cloverfield-esque movies) and the use of color (all of it is muted, unlike the vibrancy of the "more innocent" earlier movies).

The Burrow scene is not only not part of the book but utterly unnecessary - what exactly did it add?

H. Zee
2009-07-17, 07:57 AM
The Burrow scene is not only not part of the book but utterly unnecessary - what exactly did it add?

More importantly, what did it take away? Namely, the incredibly dark and unsettlingly brilliant beginning of the seventh book, where the safe haven of the Burrow is attacked. Now, if they do that in the seventh film it'll feel like retreading old ground, and if they don't do it, they'll lose one of my favourite bits of the book. :smallsigh:

If not for the Burrow scene, this would've been pretty much the perfect HP movie IMO.

Black_Pants_Guy
2009-07-17, 10:16 AM
snape Kills Dumbledor.

Muz
2009-07-17, 10:22 AM
snape Kills Dumbledor.

Can we put a moratorium on this joke, please? (It doesn't offend me, it's just overdone to the point of being unfunny.) :smallsmile:

H. Zee
2009-07-17, 10:25 AM
snape Kills Dumbledor.

Black Pants Guy Kills Joke.

Black_Pants_Guy
2009-07-17, 10:30 AM
Black Pants Guy Kills Joke.

DON'T MIND ME, I'M JUST A SLEEP DEPRIVED MESS BECAUSE I ACTUALLY WANT TO SPEAK TO A FRIEND WHO JUST HAPPENS TO NOT BE PLAYING WORLD OF WARCRAFT AT THE MOMENT THEREFORE ALLOWING ME TO SPEAK TO THEM FOR THE FIRST TIME IN 6 MONTHS.

H. Zee
2009-07-17, 10:37 AM
DON'T MIND ME, I'M JUST A SLEEP DEPRIVED MESS BECAUSE I ACTUALLY WANT TO SPEAK TO A FRIEND WHO JUST HAPPENS TO NOT BE PLAYING WORLD OF WARCRAFT AT THE MOMENT THEREFORE ALLOWING ME TO SPEAK TO THEM FOR THE FIRST TIME IN 6 MONTHS.

THEN THAT'S FAIR ENOUGH I GUESS. IN ALLCAPS. LET US NOT CONTINUE THIS LINE OF DISCUSSION LEST WE DERAIL THE THREAD.

Faceist
2009-07-17, 12:10 PM
I went to it yesterday. I definitely like the cinematography (except the burrow scene - shaky cameras = horrible except in Cloverfield-esque movies) and the use of color (all of it is muted, unlike the vibrancy of the "more innocent" earlier movies).

The Burrow scene is not only not part of the book but utterly unnecessary - what exactly did it add?It felt like the director was putting Bellatrix Lestrange in whenever possible. Not only was she the focus of the Burrow scene, she was also present (and loud) for Dumbledores death: she was not in that same scene in the book.

averagejoe
2009-07-17, 12:23 PM
I'm not sure I get the need for more Tonks in the movie. She didn't really do much in the books except prove Lupin's non-gayness, and maybe get Harry out of one or two scrapes that we knew he was going to get out of unscathed because it wasn't halfway through the book yet. To me, she and Moody were two big disappointments of the books. I kept being like, "Alright, this has to be cool, these guys kick ass," but then they don't do anything cool or relevant at all.

Neko Toast
2009-07-17, 12:30 PM
It felt like the director was putting Bellatrix Lestrange in whenever possible. Not only was she the focus of the Burrow scene, she was also present (and loud) for Dumbledores death: she was not in that same scene in the book.

Tim Burton probably blackmailed David Yates. That's my completely ludicrous hypothesis.

Faceist
2009-07-17, 12:32 PM
It'd lend more credence to your theory if Johnny Depp had made an appearance too. Preferably as Voldemort or Snape.

Neko Toast
2009-07-17, 12:40 PM
It'd lend more credence to your theory if Johnny Depp had made an appearance too. Preferably as Voldemort or Snape.

Maybe he was there. Maybe we just never saw him. >.> Maybe he was borrowing Harry's Invisibility Cloak when he wasn't using it.

To add to the discussion, I've got a couple long-winded posts from my friends on a different forum. This first one talks more about the movies as a whole, and the great Dumbledore argument.

I saw the movie a couple nights ago and it was exactly how I expected it to be. The times they stuck to the source material were when the movie shined...unfortunately they changed/added too many scenes as usual which immediately makes the plot lose its luster. It was of the same caliber as number 5, and not as good as number 4 in my opinion. I thought the first half of the movie was very weak, but it really picked up when they got to the horcrux and death scenes. (NO FUNERAL SCENE FOR DUMBLEDORE?! INNER FANBOY RAGE!!)

As for the ongoing debate about which movies are best, I would personally rank them as follows:

1. First Movie
2. Second Movie
3. Fourth Movie
4. Fifth/Sixth Movies
5. Third Movie (which pretty much sucked)

Richard Harris will always be a better Dumbledore in my mind. However, this is not entirely Gambon's fault, but rather the completely shi.t job the writers have done with the character. He's too aggressive - flat out.

I think the movies have big-time lost their charm since the first and second. There's poor focus on Hogwarts, Quidditch, side characters, and all of the other things that made the first two movies and the books great. People use the excuse that they simply can't fit all of the material of the later books into the movies. To me, that is unacceptable.

The Lord of the Rings movies are considered some of the finest fantasy novel to movie adaptions of all time. Why? Because they stuck amazingly close to the source material. They key difference is this: While the LOTR writers chose to leave out certain areas of the stories (Tom Bombadil), the Harry Potter writers chose to not only leave parts out, but to change the story all together. They have taken waaaay too many liberties with the characters and plot elements and it really shows.

To sum up: it's okay to leave the unimportant parts of a novel out of the movie, however it's NEVER okay to change them entirely which is precisely what has happened with movies like Harry Potter, Eragon, The Golden Compass, etc.

The other post is from a friend who is also on the Giant Forums. Her review is here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6504323&postcount=671).

Xondoure
2009-07-18, 02:52 AM
Yeah I totally agree about the Golum cameo.

Jamin
2009-07-18, 04:44 PM
I found it to be a very bad movie that had no climax. Also what was the point of Draco bringing in the Death Eaters they did nothing but break glass and set stuff on fire. It was a huge let down.

Finn Solomon
2009-07-18, 10:17 PM
I liked the movie overall, but it was a small thing they changed at the ending which annoyed me the most.

Snape's killed Dumbledore. Harry's chasing him out on the castle grounds. Harry staggers up to Snape after being cursed, screaming "Fight back! Fight back, you coward!"

Now up to this point it's pretty accurate. I waited for Alan Rickman to give the scene the full emotional impact his acting skills would have been fully capable of.

Now does, Snape react in anger? An emotional outburst, given that he's just been forced to kill the greatest man he knew, and that he can't tell it to anybody? Does he scream back "DON'T CALL ME COWARD!", like he does in the book?

No, he just sneers and mutters that he's the Half-Blood Prince. Oh, and he's not angry about the fact that Potter's been using his old book and his own spells either. While Alan Rickman is the best in the world for sneering, I was extremely, extremely disappointed the writers did not give this scene the emotional impact which I felt was absolutely necessary for Snape's character.

But I liked the Ron/Hermione, the performances of Malfoy, Luna and Lavender, Horace Slughorn, the Quidditch scene, increased Helena Bonham Carter (always a bonus), the Weasley twins and Michael Gambon. Although he is a little too aggressive and not compassionate or humourous enough, he kicks the hell out of Richard Harris's wheezy, decrepit old wizard.

Lupy
2009-07-18, 10:51 PM
Hm. Although I enjoyed the books, I never liked the four movies I saw... I might consider it when it's out on DVD or if someone suddenly invites me to a theater.

You wanna fly to the states and go see the movie? I'm game. :smalltongue:

Erts
2009-07-18, 10:53 PM
+1

I thought they did a good job with the romance, until they blew it all to bloody hell. Also, the Ron-Hermione angle was way too forward for my tastes.

How so? (Haven't seen it yet.)

+1 You've probably seen it by now, but for those wondering, Dumbledore specifically states that he can just do it. Because he is Dumbledore. I **** you not.

Wait, what? What? Bu-bu-but, you know, Hogwarts, a History!

Does he give a reason? (Like, headmaster's privileges,) or does he just say "only I can do it."

I'm seeing it tomorrow.

JadedDM
2009-07-18, 10:58 PM
Wait, what? What? Bu-bu-but, you know, Hogwarts, a History!

Does he give a reason? (Like, headmaster's privileges,) or does he just say "only I can do it."

I'm seeing it tomorrow.

It was something like..."There are certain advantages to being me."

Erts
2009-07-18, 11:03 PM
It was something like..."There are certain advantages to being me."

:smallconfused: Wha?! :smallfurious: That makes no sense whatsoever!

What about the romance, how was it different from the book? (That seems to be what else people are complainging about besides Bellatrix and the Burrow scene.)

Xondoure
2009-07-19, 06:49 AM
:smallconfused: Wha?! :smallfurious: That makes no sense whatsoever!

What about the romance, how was it different from the book? (That seems to be what else people are complainging about besides Bellatrix and the Burrow scene.)

They spent WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY to much time on it, then had Harry kiss Ginny WHILE SHE WAS DATING DEAN in the ROOM OF REQUIRMENT! :smallfurious:

kamikasei
2009-07-19, 07:29 AM
I thought this was by far the best of the lot right up until near the end (specifically, right when they return to the Astronomy Tower), from which point it simply fell apart.

I thought it had done the best job yet of shaving down the plot to fit into the allotted time while keeping it coherent and comprehensible, and overall it was just done better than the others. But at the end, it became extremely flat, you got the impression they'd run out of actors and could only afford to have the barest minimum present for the sequence, and several important aspects just... miss the point. (The Snape/Harry confrontation is a prime example, as others have pointed out.)

Harry fires one spell at Snape, which he deflects, and then goes straight into "Fight back, you coward!" - would it have killed them to have Snape block several attacks without responding, so that it does actually look like he's dismissing Harry as a threat?

The reveal is entirely shorn of any emotional weight.

As mentioned, there's no "DON'T CALL ME A COWARD!"

And indeed, Snape is simply blank through this entire sequence. The problem starts with Dumbledore, who does not look nearly so frail or helpless as he should - he should look on the verge of death at this point. In turn, Snape's look of hatred and rage at having to kill him is simply... not there. And then the entire flight from Hogwarts is just a rather pointless sequence of Death Eater shenanigans with no actual conflict. They set Hagrid's hut on fire and it simply burns, without any sign of Hagrid or Fang even being present - what was that about?

Overall I really enjoyed it, but was very disappointed in the ending.

And no, they don't screw up the ending. The big battle doesn't occur, but Dumbledore's death does, pretty much as in the book, except Harry isn't petrified, just out of reach.

That sounds like screwing up the ending to me. They left several key events in but missed the action that made it a proper climax, and left Harry perfectly capable of taking (possibly suicidal, but that's in character) action which he simply didn't. That Dumbledore considered it more important to keep Harry from interfering and getting killed than to preserve his own life - and the utter powerlessness Harry felt all through that scene - were rather important.

Responses to Kerfuffle spoilered for being fragmented and bulky:

No - it was in the sixth as well, exactly as shown (everyone had to try out, even those already on the team).

Agreed. They never established who or what he was besides a big and scary-looking guy, which rather undermined his threat.

This was one of my favourite bits. The mannerism was mimiced very well and its use was relatively subtle, yet effective.

In the Astronomy Tower, before Harry and Dumbledore left for the cave, they showed Snape talking to Dumbledore about not liking something he had to do. This conversation was in the seventh book. In Snape's memories. It's when Dumbledore was telling Snape about his plans for his own death. More good foreshadowing.

It may be seen in flashback in seven, but it's also described as witnessed by Hagrid in six, so not really foreshadowing.

Ah, and one other nit: I wasn't wild about their Tom Riddle. He didn't come off as properly manipulative or able to present a good facade, and when shown at Hogwarts he seemed too young. I assume they were trying to make sure the kid looked like Ralph Fiennes, but they failed to make him look enough like the version from the Chamber of Secrets.

Eerie
2009-07-19, 07:37 AM
It was my favorite book, so I'm exciting to see it.

I've been told that Draco's actor was wonderful and Harry's actor continues his trend of steadily worsening as the series progresses.

Yep. Best movie is still HP&PoA, and will remain so.

Xondoure
2009-07-19, 08:10 AM
Yep. Best movie is still HP&PoA, and will remain so.

The third was garbage, and I'm not the only one who thinks so.

jmbrown
2009-07-19, 08:25 AM
I felt this movie was pretty weak. None of the characters had any synergy with each other and all the villains did was basically teleport around and leer at each other. Fenrir is supposed to be a berserk fighter but the guy just skulked around and grinned menacingly while hardly having any speaking lines. Bellatrix was, as always, the spotlight stealer but every other "villain" like Snape and Malfoy had no interaction outside of "walks on scene, stops, stares at Harry, walks away." Snape and Harry exchange many snarky quips in the book but there was a complete lack of anything in this except more menacing leering.

Finally, the ending was the biggest disappointment the entire summer. The funeral at the end is supposed to be a touching moment and they completely skipped the EPIC fight scene between teachers + students and the death eaters. The death eaters walk in, do what they were meant to do, then just walk out the front door. Boo!

kpenguin
2009-07-19, 08:27 AM
The third was garbage, and I'm not the only one who thinks so.

And there are a sizable amount of people who think the opposite.

The PoA film is one that provokes strong emotions and is a good example of how your millage may vary.

Kris on a Stick
2009-07-19, 10:04 AM
For those hating on the lack of Funeral: I actually thought the 'wizard salute' at the end had the same effect. Would a funeral have been preferable? Probably. But having two scenes in a movie within minutes of each other that fulfill the same purpose would have just been silly. And pointless.

jmbrown
2009-07-19, 10:07 AM
For those hating on the lack of Funeral: I actually thought the 'wizard salute' at the end had the same effect. Would a funeral have been preferable? Probably. But having two scenes in a movie within minutes of each other that fulfill the same purpose would have just been silly. And pointless.

If they had taken out the "salute" they could have fit in pieces of the funeral inbetween Harry and Hermione talking at the end. Maybe have them overlooking the funeral from the tower. There were other scenes I felt unnecessary like the fight at the burrow which could have been saved for the big fight at the climax.

Helanna
2009-07-19, 10:22 AM
While Alan Rickman is the best in the world for sneering, I was extremely, extremely disappointed the writers did not give this scene the emotional impact which I felt was absolutely necessary for Snape's character.

This was my biggest problem with the movie. I was looking forward to that scene, and then . . . nothing. Totally failed to portray Snape's character at all.

Well, that and the fact that the movie left so much out due to time restraints, but managed to put in a long, pointless, and totally redundant attack on the Burrow. As others have said, that time could have been put to much better use on the final battle or on the funeral.

Speaking of the lack of a final battle, how did anyone even know Dumbledore had died? In the book, it's because everyone was up and fighting the Death Eaters. But in the movie everyone should have been asleep, so no one should have known. :smallconfused:

Lord Loss
2009-07-19, 10:22 AM
I've read the books, and I have to say it's either the best or tied in first with the first movie.

The inferi were amazingly well made, but I wished they had prolonged the inferi battle, added at least a bit of a fight at the end, and avoided the fight at the burrow (It's important in book seven!). WOOOT!

Xondoure
2009-07-19, 10:29 AM
I've read the books, and I have to say it's either the best or tied in first with the first movie.

The inferi were amazingly well made, but I wished they had prolonged the inferi battle, added at least a bit of a fight at the end, and avoided the fight at the burrow (It's important in book seven!). WOOOT!

Wait, you liked the Golum cameo?

Seraph
2009-07-19, 10:40 AM
It felt like the director was putting Bellatrix Lestrange in whenever possible. Not only was she the focus of the Burrow scene, she was also present (and loud) for Dumbledores death: she was not in that same scene in the book.

presumably, the producers wanted him to justify Helena Bonham Carter's paycheck.

Ichneumon
2009-07-19, 10:51 AM
I really feel the movies all fail to portray Snape as the complex character he is, which is said, considering he might be one of the most important characters in the books, maybe more important than Ron/Hermione.

Lord Loss
2009-07-19, 10:52 AM
Actually, I just find the Inferi did a good job of being Creepy, without being yet another Night of the Living dead imitation. Yes, I know it was kinda golem-ish but at least it wasn't cliché.

jmbrown
2009-07-19, 10:56 AM
Speaking of the lack of a final battle, how did anyone even know Dumbledore had died? In the book, it's because everyone was up and fighting the Death Eaters. But in the movie everyone should have been asleep, so no one should have known.

I'm pretty sure they woke up when Bellatrix went crashing through the hall but they all happened to wander towards Dumbledore's small, dark frame laying on the ground on the other side of the main door while ignoring the powerful wizards torching Hagrid's hut and nearly killing Harry.

Athaniar
2009-07-19, 04:51 PM
I just saw it. It was good, but nowhere near perfect.

Pros:
The bridge collapse, anachronism or not.

The Inferi. Sure, they looked a bit like Gollum (which is not necessarily a bad thing), but they were sufficiently creepy.

Dumbledore was well played.

Dumbledore's Burial (not). It would have detracted, the light-wand-thingie was good enough.

Slughorn. Also well played.

Cons:
The ending. Not as spectacular as it could have been, as it should have been, "repetition" or not.

The Burrow battle. Why?

Bellatrix. "I'm Chaotic Evil!"

Memory scenes. Too few!

Malfoy. Nah, he wasn't very good.

Neither:
Fenrir. The actor is (probably) good for the role, but too little werewolf.

Romance. It wasn't bad, but it didn't really add anything.

Overall, I get the feeling that this is just warming up before the final movies.