PDA

View Full Version : Kobold Quick-Trap

AugustNights
2009-07-15, 12:53 PM
The Quick-Trap.

http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0/28/609733-587627_bear_traps_super_large.jpg

'Hey Emry! One of 'em Kobolds dropped a gem into this hole right here!' ~Delvin, the Now Left-Handed.

Mechanical Trap
Location Trigger
Manual Reset (1 minute)
Primary Effect: +15 attack (1d8 Damage)
Secondary Effect: Target is Entangled (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#entangled). This trap is generally anchored down by some means, and the Target's movement is impeded by the means of anchoring. [As a standard, these traps come with 5' of chain, and a strong piton.] Any strenuous actions taken by the target, including failed attempts at escaping, result in 1d4 damage to the Target.
To escape the Entrapment, the Target must succeed on a DC 20 strength Check, or a DC 15 Disable Device Check.
Search DC 12
Disable Device DC 15
Market Price: 700 gp.
CR 1

Special: The Quick Trap is a re-locatable trap. It may be closed up, and moved to a new location with little difficulty. For this reason many Quick-Traps will not be anchored. The quick Trap weighs 10 pounds.

Also, it's Search DC may be increased with a successful hide check. The New Search DC is re-set to the Hide Check.

Debihuman
2009-07-15, 03:46 PM
It's nice to see a new trap. I like it.

Debby

Draken
2009-07-15, 07:57 PM
A bit too expensive I believe.

Possibly ten times more expensive than it is worth. In fact, this thing would do a nice exotic weapon.

Vaynor
2009-07-15, 08:13 PM
A bit too expensive I believe.

Possibly ten times more expensive than it is worth. In fact, this thing would do a nice exotic weapon.

Exactly what I was thinking, no way a kobold could afford this.

Debihuman
2009-07-15, 08:17 PM
Hmm Here's the information regarding traps: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/traps.htm#

Base cost of a trap is 1,000 gp.
Cost modifiers:

Location (none), Manual reset (none), Search DC [19 or lower] -100 gp x (20-DC) -100x8 (-800 gp)], Disable Device [19 or lower], 100 gp x(20-DC), -100X 5 (-500 gp), Reflex Save (none, not applicable); Attack bonus 11 or higher] +200x (bonus-10), 200 gp x 5 (1000 gp)

1000, -800, -500, +1,000 = 700 gp.

The trap should have a market price of 700 gp. Don't forget that is the market price. If kobolds are making this it is simply the cost of the materials, and succeeding on a Craft (trapmaking) check.
Debby

AugustNights
2009-07-16, 02:18 AM
350 gold to make, and 700 gold to buy actually sounds terribly reasonable.

Exotic Weapon you say...

Kobold Snap-Flail S:1d4 M:1d6 /x2
Few Kobolds are keen on using the Quick-Traps little brother, the Snap-Flail, but those who do tend to either die quickly or devastate their enemies. The Snap-Flail is really a smaller version of the Quick-Trap on the end of a chain heavy enough to support it as a weapon.

It's small jaw is not as efficient as it's larger brother at entangling it's targets.
However, one may take a full round action to use a set* Snap-Flail to entangle one's opponent.

If one controls the trailing chain by succeeding on an opposed Strength check while holding it, the entangled creature can move only within the limits that the chain allows. Also one may deal 1d4 damage to that creature as a standard action so long as one maintains control. If the entangled creature attempts to cast a spell, it must make a DC 15 Concentration check or be unable to cast the spell. Any strenuous actions taken by the entangled creature including failed attempts at escaping, result in 1d4 damage to the creature.

An entangled creature can escape with a DC 20 Disable Device check (a full-round action). The Flail can be opened with a DC 15 Strength check (also a full-round action).

This attack is useful only against creatures within two size categories of you.

Like with any flail, one gets a +2 bonus on opposed attack rolls made to disarm an opponent (including the roll to avoid being disarmed if such an attempt fails).

One can also use this weapon to make trip attacks. If one is tripped during one's own trip attempt, one can drop the flail to avoid being tripped.

*Setting the Snap-Flail is a Full round action that provokes attacks of opportunity.

Special: The Snap-Flail can only be repaired and built with the Craft (Traps) skill.

---

A little over complicated really.
Also, do you think Justicars' Manacle Proficiency should include these bad boys.

Cieyrin
2009-07-16, 10:09 AM
I could possibly see a Justicar gaining proficiency, though I'd see it as Kobold Justicar substitution level, rather than a standard feature, given your average Justicar isn't necessarily a trap builder like a Kobold is, he tends to go out and capture his quarry with his own 2 hands.

Them's my 2 coppers. Take as you will.

Vaynor
2009-07-16, 03:35 PM
I could possibly see a Justicar gaining proficiency, though I'd see it as Kobold Justicar substitution level, rather than a standard feature, given your average Justicar isn't necessarily a trap builder like a Kobold is, he tends to go out and capture his quarry with his own 2 hands.

The bloodhound prestige class might be more suitable.

Juggernaut1981
2009-07-16, 10:35 PM
Kobold Monkey Trap
So, we set this up, wait for the monkeys to grab the shiny thing and then we whack them until they're dead under the net and eat them. Yummy. Monkeys...

1x Glass Jar, 1x "something shiny" (probably well polished coin, fools gold lump, etc), 1x 50' rope, 1x net, 1x pot of soveriegn glue, 1x bag of pitons, 10x cheap jangly bells

Step 1: Glue rope to jar
Step 2: Find tree near monkeys
Step 3: Put pitons in tree
Step 4: Put other end of rope through pitons
Step 5: Tie bells to net
Step 6: Tie net up with other end of rope in a slip-knot
Step 7: Hide and wait for monkeys

***Note: Trap is also likely to catch adventurers. Adventurers come in big groups so if you see adventurers, bring your 20 brothers and sisters along to knock them out.

Teln
2009-07-17, 01:13 AM
Exactly what I was thinking, no way a kobold could afford this.

Maybe some Tucker's Kobolds pooled their shares of the loot from dead adventurers and bought a few?

Cieyrin
2009-07-17, 11:42 AM
That Kobold Monkey Trap sounds like something Bucky from Get Fuzzy would come up with and then fail spectacularly in the execution. I like! :smallbiggrin:

As for Tucker's Kobolds, they probably already have a few and enhanced their performance specs further, such as making the jaws slowly grind with time till amputating the limb captured or put sovereign glue on the trigger plate so that the unfortunate as to lose that footgear or, if barefoot, again lose the foot. Tough choices, them.