PDA

View Full Version : A book version of "the lion king"

Mystic Muse
2009-07-16, 03:17 AM
simply put. does one exist? other than hamlet or whatever it's supposedly based off of. I wouldn't know. I had enough of Shakespearian tragedies after Macbeth.

Berserk Monk
2009-07-16, 08:00 PM
simply put. does one exist? other than hamlet or whatever it's supposedly based off of. I wouldn't know. I had enough of Shakespearian tragedies after Macbeth.

The Lion King is based off Hamlet? I can sort of kind of almost see the connection, but I thought everyone died at the end of the play. Also, I liked MacBeth.

Yeah, I think Disney would make a picture book of the Lion King though. Not completely sure if they ever did, this is just my guess.

Mystic Muse
2009-07-16, 08:04 PM
The Lion King is based off Hamlet? I can sort of kind of almost see the connection, but I thought everyone died at the end of the play. Also, I liked MacBeth.

Yeah, I think Disney would make a picture book of the Lion King though. Not completely sure if they ever did, this is just my guess.

I've heard it's based off of hamlet with a happy ending. the lion king 2 is supposedly based off of romeo and juliet with a happy ending as well.

there's also "Oliver and company" based off of "Oliver twist" with a much happier ending as well

TheSummoner
2009-07-16, 08:14 PM
Now that you mention it, I can definatly see the parallels between Lion King and Hamlet...

As for why Disney would change a tragic ending where everyone dies to a happier one where the rightful king returns and everyone who isn't evil lives happily ever after for a childrens movie... no clue. No clue why they would put a happy ending in a movie intended for children at all. ^_^

But back to your original question, I've never heard of such a book, although thats not the kind of thing I've kept my eyes open for.

Mando Knight
2009-07-16, 08:25 PM
...You're not supposed to say the title of The Scottish Play! :smalleek:

:smalltongue:

As to the question, there were several children's book adaptations and the musical, but no novels or things like that. No one writes novels of Disney movies, anyway. :smalltongue:

Mystic Muse
2009-07-16, 08:30 PM

As to the question, there were several children's book adaptations and the musical, but no novels or things like that. No one writes novels of Disney movies, anyway. :smalltongue:

Charles dickens did.:smalltongue: yes of course I'm kidding. while there is a movie based off his book it was made about 120 years before oliver and company.

Serpentine
2009-07-16, 08:39 PM
The original Little Mermaid is horribly depressing >.> Beautiful, but depressing.

Berserk Monk
2009-07-16, 08:44 PM
I've heard it's based off of hamlet with a happy ending. the lion king 2 is supposedly based off of romeo and juliet with a happy ending as well.

there's also "Oliver and company" based off of "Oliver twist" with a much happier ending as well

Way to go Disney: turning great works of theatre and giving them a happy ending for children. I say children need all the emotional scarring they can get. It'll prepare them to emotionally scar their own children some day.

Mystic Muse
2009-07-16, 08:49 PM
Way to go Disney: turning great works of theatre and giving them a happy ending for children. I say children need all the emotional scarring they can get. It'll prepare them to emotionally scar their own children some day.

I personally prefer Oliver and company to oliver twist. same with the lion king 2 to remeo and juliet. I prefer the original version of cinderella though.:smalltongue:

Serpentine
2009-07-16, 08:52 PM
I actually really like that Disney took Shakespeare stories and turned them into a fun yet emotional movie. I don't mind about the changing of the ending at all *shrug*

Mystic Muse
2009-07-16, 08:53 PM
I actually really like that Disney took Shakespeare stories and turned them into a fun yet emotional movie. I don't mind about the changing of the ending at all *shrug*

quite honestly I wish they were making MORE movies like this. there are just so many junk 3d animated movies out right now. some an adult can enjoy but other are just bleh. I prefer the classics like
tarzan
the hunchback of notre dame
Oliver and company
Aladdin
Anastasia
Mulan
the lion king

and others like these.

Mando Knight
2009-07-16, 09:05 PM
Those aren't the classic Disney Animated movies. Those were all released when I was a kid, with the exception of Oliver And Company. The classics were from when Walt himself were alive, and the ones made shortly thereafter.

Y'know, Cinderella, Snow White, Jungle Book, Pinocchio, Peter Pan...

TheSummoner
2009-07-16, 09:06 PM
Why make something good when absolute crap sells better and takes 1/50th of the effort to produce? Just look at Family Guy...

Serpentine
2009-07-16, 09:22 PM
I can't stand Snow White :smallyuk: Or rather, I don't mind the movie, but Snow White's voice... ugh. The rest are generally pretty solid.

Thinking it was the Disney one, I watched a no-name brand version of Anastasia. It ended with her dancing around shouting "I REMEMBER!". It was pretty awful.

Lord Seth
2009-07-16, 09:31 PM
simply put. does one exist? other than hamlet or whatever it's supposedly based off of. I wouldn't know. I had enough of Shakespearian tragedies after Macbeth.Aw, come on, Macbeth was good. I still think Shakespeare's my favorite Shakespeare tragedy was King Lear, though.

However, The Lion King was only very loosely based on Hamlet. Both the plot and characters are very different. I in fact hesitate to say it was "based on" Hamlet; "inspired by" is probably the best term. If you want to see a film "based on" a Shakespeare play, watch Throne of Blood. The thing's awesome.

Mystic Muse
2009-07-16, 10:30 PM
Aw, come on, Macbeth was good. I still think Shakespeare's my favorite Shakespeare tragedy was King Lear, though.

However, The Lion King was only very loosely based on Hamlet. Both the plot and characters are very different. I in fact hesitate to say it was "based on" Hamlet; "inspired by" is probably the best term. If you want to see a film "based on" a Shakespeare play, watch Throne of Blood. The thing's awesome.

sorry. I didn't mean to say Macbeth was bad. what I meant was I don't like tragedies. probably the reason I prefer oliver and company to oliver twist.

and sorry for the confusion about the term of classic.

kpenguin
2009-07-16, 11:22 PM
Lion King is more like the bastard child of Sundiata, Hamlet, and a musical than anything else.

Mewtarthio
2009-07-17, 12:00 AM
I don't think you can really define a particular era as "the best Disney era." I'm personally most fond of the movies released in the '90s, but that's because I grew up in the '90s. I'd like to call the '00s "the worst Disney decade," but I haven't seen enough of their latest stuff to make that judgment (plus I've never been quite clear on whether or not to count Pixar. If we do, that shoots the quality up a lot, but then we might also have to include *shudder* the Disney Channel).

Thinking it was the Disney one, I watched a no-name brand version of Anastasia. It ended with her dancing around shouting "I REMEMBER!". It was pretty awful.

The Disney version of Anastasia is actually pretty hard to track down, seeing as it's a Don Bluth film. :smallamused:

Tirian
2009-07-17, 06:06 AM
I don't think you can really define a particular era as "the best Disney era." I'm personally most fond of the movies released in the '90s, but that's because I grew up in the '90s. I'd like to call the '00s "the worst Disney decade," but I haven't seen enough of their latest stuff to make that judgment (plus I've never been quite clear on whether or not to count Pixar. If we do, that shoots the quality up a lot, but then we might also have to include *shudder* the Disney Channel).

I didn't grow up in the 90's, so I can independently verify your assessment that it was the best era. Well, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, and The Lion King are the most concentrated win and Pocohantas, Hunchback, Hercules, Mulan, and Tarzan were weaker but still mostly okay. The only run that can touch it was at the beginning with Snow White, Pinocchio, Dumbo, and Bambi; I think that the reboot era was better but reasonable people might disagree.

The worst? There really was quite a desert in the seventies and eighties. It's bad now too, but I'd hate to have to watch enough of the films to argue coherently about which is worse. People say that Disney is committed to The Princess and the Frog and Rapunzel as getting back to their roots of making animated movies that don't suck, so we'll see.

Serpentine
2009-07-17, 06:23 AM
The Disney version of Anastasia is actually pretty hard to track down, seeing as it's a Don Bluth film. :smallamused:Huh... You're right, it's a Fox Studios one. The crappy one I saw was by Golden Films, I think.

Ecalsneerg
2009-07-17, 06:40 AM
Lion King is more like the bastard child of Sundiata, Hamlet, and a musical than anything else.
And yet it pulls it off!

Mando Knight
2009-07-17, 09:27 AM
The worst? There really was quite a desert in the seventies and eighties. It's bad now too, but I'd hate to have to watch enough of the films to argue coherently about which is worse. People say that Disney is committed to The Princess and the Frog and Rapunzel as getting back to their roots of making animated movies that don't suck, so we'll see.

Robin Hood. 1973.

Tirian
2009-07-17, 07:06 PM
Robin Hood. 1973.

Knock yourself out. I've even met people who think that The Rescuers was a great movie. That's just how crazy you get when you're in a desert. I think it was a tired retread of Peter Pan, and I think that Daffy Duck's portrayal of Robin Hood delivered more genuine laughs in under seven minutes.

Maybe I'm a big cold-hearted meanie, but I think you have to go all the way back to Sleeping Beauty (1959) to find a movie with "Disney magic". Not that the ten or eleven movies in the middle were howlingly bad, but it was certainly the output of a studio that had stopped aiming for transcendent excellence.

Lord Seth
2009-07-17, 07:57 PM
sorry. I didn't mean to say Macbeth was bad. what I meant was I don't like tragedies. probably the reason I prefer oliver and company to oliver twist.Ah. Then avoid King Lear at all costs, because it's definitely the saddest of any of Shakespeare's tragedies. The other tragedies tend to have something to sort of make up for the sad ending (except for maybe Titus Andronicus, depending on your interpretation of the ending), but King Lear's was so depressing that for quite some time it was performed with a more uplifting ending.

TheEmerged
2009-07-17, 08:17 PM
Robin Hood. 1973.

For me, that movie was worth it for two things. The first was seeing my father laughing himself breathless at the chicken on the football field when I was a young child.

The second was watching my mother laugh at my father for laughing so hard :smallredface:

Xondoure
2009-07-18, 02:54 AM

Ah, I see that you are a fellow thespian! Something I didn't know before...

bosssmiley
2009-07-18, 01:44 PM

Lion King is actually MacBeth, as told from McDuff's perspective. :smallbiggrin:

The nearest I can think of to a book version of The Lion King is probably a historical work about the dynastic ding-dongs of the Plantagenets (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_Plantagenet). Richard II and the Lords Appellant, or Henry VI and the regency of Edward IV are good equivalents.