PDA

View Full Version : Your Web Identity

afroakuma
2009-07-16, 03:27 PM
Just curious about something I've noticed myself.

Having come across sites with other afroakumas (or afro_akumas or afro*akumas) out there, I've started to become a bit possessive of what I think of as "my" web identity.

I've signed up to several related forums just to get the rights to my username, even though I don't pop in that often, and today I went to Twitter for the first time in order to acquire the Twitter for both my username and my actual name.

Does anyone else try to keep a consistent web identity?

Pyrian
2009-07-16, 03:31 PM
I get annoyed when other people use Pyrian. :smallannoyed: It's a whole lot more unusual than my real name, though, so I suppose I should be grateful I have it.

Ichneumon

I try to avoid a consistent web identity, so to make tracking and linking with my real life identity more difficult. I sometimes lie about basic information about myself (just minor details that don't matter in the context in which I say them) and usually choose different account names.

Flame of Anor
In most places I'm either Rocketman739 or the shortened version, rkt739. Here, clearly, I'm Flame of Anor, and on the Steampunk Forum I'm Lucius Voltaic. That's about it, though.

Crimmy
2009-07-16, 03:33 PM
I USUALLy keep the Crimson idea.

In some forums I'm Crimmy, in other I'm Crimson Mage, and in others, The Crimson.

Shades of Gray
2009-07-16, 03:36 PM
Shades of Gray.

Numbers attached if its taken. But usually underscores.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-07-16, 03:37 PM
I have three internet identities, four if you count Dallas-Dakota and Cookiemonster seperatly.

As far as I know, nobody else on the internet uses Cookiemonster as a name(or actively anyway) or Dallas-Dakota. Though with Dallas and Dakota being places and all that... It doesn't really show up on da searchmachines.

My other two web-identities......Are secret.:smalltongue:
Though one or two of you may know me as two seperate people, since I .....Timeline!
Registered on that forum, Registered on this forum, met those people, met them on that forum.

So umm, if I'm saying anymore, they'l know who I am.:smalltongue:

But I am a bit protective of my identities.

Nobody except me is childish enough to be the cookiemonster.
(Some kiddos may very well want to be, but they'l most likely just want to seem mature and grown-up and be taken seriously, and taking up the image of a cookiemonster is not the (obvious) way to do that.

Chunklets
2009-07-16, 03:37 PM
I used to have several different internet personas, but I've been gradually cutting them back. I'm pretty sure I'm "Chunklets" everywhere that I take part on the internet now.

Hannes
2009-07-16, 03:39 PM
I go for Hannes, 'cause that's my name. If it's taken, I go for my most-used names originating from the Lusternia MUD, the most widely-used being Charn. I think. Or Hannok, an old nickname nobody uses, but it's still me, so I'm still using it. I don't have the slightest clue why.

Dogmantra
2009-07-16, 03:39 PM
I am so protective about Dogmantra. It's only been taken on a couple of sites I've wanted (photobucket being the main one), but I use De_Ressurect (and I know that's spelt wrong) on them. I will always use Dogmantra as a first choice, and when I forgot my password to youtube with Dogmantra, I made another account with a 2 on the end.

If you google me, I'm most of the front page results though, which I take pride in. I even have a song about me (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNDnXx6ZX9c) :smalltongue:.

Xallace
2009-07-16, 03:40 PM
I've got about three separate identities, but I usually stick to Xallace since it's a nonsense word that odds of someone else having it are about 1 in Chaos Theory.

Except it was taken on Veoh. I don't go to Veoh at all anymore, so it's no biggie, but it weirded me out a little at the time.

Lolzords
Giantitp I'm Zen Of Anger, Newgrounds I'm ZenOfAnger as they don't allow spaces and everywhere else I'm Lolzords, often with the second L being a capital I as that's my gamertag.

BRC
I stole Bloodyredcommie from my brother, who made some animations and put "Bloody Red Commie Inc." in front of them. I took it, made a mispelling whilst making a runescape character, and just kept using it as Bloddyredcommie after that. It's rarely taken, it easily shortens, and I remember it, It's uniue and quirky enough.

Hannes
(Some kiddos may very well want to be, but they'l most likely just want to seem mature and grown-up and be taken seriously, and taking up the image of a cookiemonster is not the (obvious) way to do that.

Except for death metal. Seriously. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_growl)

The Orange Zergling
2009-07-16, 03:41 PM
I used to intentionally keep a different alias for every medium I was on (Orange Zergling, Baneling_Aspect, Redeemer59, ImperialGuard59, Tacgnol and more I can't think of at the moment) but now I just go by Baneling_Aspect or some minor variation (BanelingAspect, etc.) everywhere I can, unless its taken in which case I go by Orange Zergling.

thubby
2009-07-16, 03:42 PM
as you can imagine thubby is almost always taken, and i hate using random characters to make it fit. so maybe that's why i don't have any particular attachment to my various names.

all the names i use have a fire theme to them (this being the obvious exception)

mikeejimbo
2009-07-16, 03:43 PM
There are actually a bunch of mikeejimbos. It's a fairly common occurrence, really - mikee + jimbo, not that surprising others have come up with it.

Autopsibiofeeder
2009-07-16, 03:46 PM
Aye, I use Autopsibiofeeder everywhere. In the beginning it was just laziness, i.e. not wanting to think up something new, but now I use it 'just because' it's me.

It's so weird that I don't have to worry someone else using it, though :smallsmile:

A Rainy Knight
2009-07-16, 03:46 PM
I have this punny name on most sites that I occasionally stop by once in a while (Photobucket, Wikispaces, etc.) and I use the nickname I got here, "Arkky," at deviantART. It's pretty much never taken, surprisingly enough.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-07-16, 03:48 PM
Except for death metal. Seriously. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_growl)
I taught them that.:smallamused: (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWac5UT80no&feature=PlayList&p=C4B963E1B5F8FCCF&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=82)

LXH
2009-07-16, 03:49 PM
I try to avoid a consistent web identity, so to make tracking and linking with my real life identity more difficult. I sometimes lie about basic information about myself (just minor details that don't matter in the context in which I say them) and usually choose different account names.
I try not to keep one consistent identifier on any two sites. Something about being traceable by anonymous people bothers me a great deal. The one exception is my political blog as I'd be a bit of a hypocrite ranting constantly about openness, transparency, and accountability while posting under a pseudonym.

Ichneumon
2009-07-16, 03:50 PM
I try not to keep one consistent identifier on any two sites. Something about being traceable by anonymous people bothers me a great deal. The one exception is my political blog as I'd be a bit of a hypocrite ranting constantly about openness, transparency, and accountability while posting under a pseudonym.

Oh really? I do all my political blogging under a pseudonym as well.

afroakuma
2009-07-16, 03:51 PM
Nobody except me is childish enough to be the cookiemonster.

Pretty sure that's not the case. Cookie is awesome.

arguskos
2009-07-16, 03:52 PM
arguskos is one of my two tags. The other is a private joke that I rarely use anymore: bloodydoves. Both of my names are veeeeery uncommonly seen (never seen bloodydoves before; arguskos is also fairly rare). I guess that's a good thing, since my real name is stupidly common (Adam).

LXH
2009-07-16, 03:53 PM
Oh really? I do all my political blogging under a pseudonym as well.

I started out that way, but doing it as my real and open identity helps me keep myself in check. I have to think long and hard over whether I really want to say what I'm saying, just in case it turns out I'm wrong. The internets never forget, after all.

Besides, when I want to be anonymously snarky about stupid politicians, I always have my Wonkette account.

B-Man
I'm definitely attached to the name B-Man as it is a common nickname of mine off-line. I always try to keep it as B-Man across all web communities I frequent (although the Playground is the only one I am consistently one). Common variants are b.man777, B-Man777, and bman777 (I signed up with that name initially here). In fact, I always try to keep it B-Man + 777 wherever I go.

Dallas-Dakota
Pretty sure that's not the case. Cookie is awesome.
Ah, but would they be The Cookiemonster, I think not.:smallamused:

Mauve Shirt
2009-07-16, 03:54 PM
No one ever uses h0wupdohighknee, though howupdohighknee without the zero is usually taken.
This is the first place I've ever used Mauve Shirt. And really the only place where I feel like I have an "identity". I'd probably be a little "buuh?" if I saw it in use elsewhere.

Zherog
2009-07-16, 03:55 PM
I use Zherog everywhere, and I'd be upset if I encountered somebody else using it to be honest.

Ichneumon
I started out that way, but doing it as my real and open identity helps me keep myself in check. I have to think long and hard over whether I really want to say what I'm saying, just in case it turns out I'm wrong. The internets never forget, after all.

Besides, when I want to be anonymously snarky about stupid politicians, I always have my Wonkette account.

Yes, you are right that writing your real name under something really helps you keep your writing in check because you'll think twice about what you write.:smallamused:

Dispozition
I keep Dispozition almost everywhere I go...There are maybe...2 or 3 places where I don't have it as my username. I'm not really sure why :<

mercurymaline
2009-07-16, 03:56 PM
My username's pretty unique, but when I was the morbidwombat, I ran into an inordinate number of other wombats on other forums. I've seen several different Mortal Wombats. It does make me feel a bit weird, not exactly sure why.

Nameless
2009-07-16, 03:56 PM
I usually use some form of Nameless. It's almost become my code-name.
Apart from one forum where someone used _nameless, then I made a Nameless account. So to avoid confusion I changed my name no Nemo.

Berserk Monk
2009-07-16, 03:57 PM
Yeah I use Berserk Monk for just about user name I have.

LXH
2009-07-16, 03:57 PM
Yes, you are right that writing your real name under something really helps you keep your writing in check because you'll think twice about what you write.:smallamused:

Speaking of accountability, I wrote Chuck Todd an email today complaining about something he said on the teevee machine and went over a few details regarding some Constitutional issues he left out of his analysis. He actually responded within a few minutes, which I thought was very cool.

Guru
2009-07-16, 03:58 PM
My username is always taken. It's very common though, which is the problem. I only really have one alternate identity, which usually isn't taken. If both are taken, I say forget it.

Evil DM Mark3
2009-07-16, 04:01 PM
I am mostly EvilDMMk3 or Reg Shoe, the latter mostly. Infact I am only EvilDMMk3 here now.

My old university society has me under Foweraker however, due to the fact that names are easier for the purposes of people knowing me by name.

KuReshtin
2009-07-16, 04:02 PM
I use KuReshtin pretty much everywhere.

GitP, LFG (although I'm never logged in there), g2g2, Travian-forum (although I'm never there anymore) and when I need to find a handle for registering for making general comments and stuff.

The only other handle I use is Christian (my name) for some American Football forums, because people there know me by my first name anyways.

Recaiden
2009-07-16, 04:03 PM

I suppose I do keep one, but I don't try to. It just sort of happened. My name has never been taken, although I use others at places I don't plan on participating in a lot.

wxdruid
2009-07-16, 04:04 PM
My email started out as wxgirl, then I got back into playing D&D again and realized Druids have a lot of cool weather spells, so I when I made an account here I chose wxdruid. Then I got my license plate of wxdruid and now I'm on several forums as wxdruid. I haven't seen any others and I like it that way. :smallsmile: My nickname is Gwen the wxdruid.

WalkingTarget
2009-07-16, 04:05 PM
The Walking Target was my first character on City of Heroes (which was also the first MMO I'd played). When I decided to join this forum I decided it made as good a screen name as anything. Before joining here I didn't have any sort of consistent online presence. After being active here for a while (and this is by far the place I'm most active) I decided to continue to use the name and I use it for at least 2 more forums.

There are plenty more "WalkingTarget" or variant users out there, just not at the 3 forums I go to.

Recaiden
2009-07-16, 04:06 PM
I'm on several forums as wxdruid.

I've always wondered hot to pronounce that. wix druid?

potatocubed
2009-07-16, 04:10 PM
There is only one potatocubed, and he is I. I try to use the same avatar everywhere as well, here and Dreamwidth being the notable exceptions. Oh, and Facebook and the Nanowrimo forums, where I use a South Park me.

I believe in owning what I say, I suppose.

OverdrivePrime
2009-07-16, 04:14 PM
As far as I'm aware, I'm the only OverdrivePrime on the Cybertubes, and I'd like to keep it that way. I just googled my username, and it still pops up results for forums I haven't been on in months or years. Toonzone? Cripes, I think 2002 was the last time I set foot in that place. And WTF? I thought I canceled my MySpace acount back in January, what's it still doing out there?

I'll have to do something about that.:smalleek:

Nameless
2009-07-16, 04:15 PM

I always though it was W.X Druid.

Guru
2009-07-16, 04:17 PM
As far as I'm aware, I'm the only OverdrivePrime on the Cybertubes, and I'd like to keep it that way. I just googled my username, and it still pops up results for forums I haven't been on in months or years. Toonzone? Cripes, I think 2002 was the last time I set foot in that place. And WTF? I thought I canceled my MySpace acount back in January, what's it still doing out there?

That's that I like about general usernames like mine. You don't get very direct google search results.

HellfireLover
2009-07-16, 04:18 PM
I'm HellfireLover just about everywhere I go now, since I stopped hiding behind multiple and diverse pseudonyms (I kept forgetting them.) It doesn't seem like anyone else wants it, which is fine by me. I'm kind of possessive about it now. :smallamused:

Dallas-Dakota
2009-07-16, 04:23 PM
That's that I like about general usernames like mine. You don't get very direct google search results.
Think about Dallas Dakota.:smallamused:

T-O-E
2009-07-16, 04:23 PM
'Troll' is a completely original name and no other forum has a user with the same one.
[/sarcasm]

This is the only forum I use 'troll' on. And I regret having chose it.

Jibar
2009-07-16, 04:27 PM
I'm pretty shocked to Hell whenever I find another Jibar (Only... what, 1 or 2 so far?) and I find it pretty weird anyway. Especially on Team Fortress 2 where's to such a short, simple name that just looks weird compared to what everybody else dubs themselves.
Of course, I'm also the only Cat-Muffin around. Anyone finds another, let me know, I'll have serious words for them.

mikeejimbo
2009-07-16, 04:28 PM

I always pronounce it as "Weather Druid." Whenever I see "wxdruid" I just internally translate it.

CurlyKitGirl
2009-07-16, 04:35 PM
Hum.
Aside from my blog and MSN this is the only site I'm on. So it's a consistent web identity. :smalltongue:
My username's fairly unique too, even if hardly anyone calls me by it on here. Got loads of nicknames though.

banjo1985
2009-07-16, 04:37 PM
Same here, my only online presence is here and MSN, so Banjo1985 is my consistent identity. :smalltongue:

Recaiden
2009-07-16, 04:43 PM
This is the only forum I use 'troll' on. And I regret having chose it.

You know you can ask for a name change.

CurlyKitGirl
2009-07-16, 04:47 PM
Same here, my only online presence is here and MSN, so Banjo1985 is my consistent identity. :smalltongue:

And of course we bless this forum by gracing it with our prescence. :smallwink:

By the way, I love your new avvie. But it says something about me when I looked at that and thought "Elan's hugging Roy! Unreciprocated love!" This comes from lurking in the OOTS forum where there're several V/Kyrie avvies.

SinisterPenguin
2009-07-16, 04:56 PM
Generally I use Sinister Penguin or SinisterPenguin whenever I can. If it's too long for the site (which happens annoyingly often) or taken, then I use some variation, such as Evil Penguin, EPenguin, etc.. Aside from one or two exceptions, most of my usernames have the evil penguin theme.

PhoeKun
2009-07-16, 04:59 PM
I have and always will be PhoeKun wherever I go. I have never had another alias, and that's probably going to remain true as long as the internets exist.

I have no idea if there's anyone else out there who uses the name, but I pretty highly doubt it. It's never been taken anywhere I've gone, at least. Now, if only anyone could figure out how to pronounce it... <.<

Jibar
2009-07-16, 05:05 PM
Now, if only anyone could figure out how to pronounce it... <.<

FoeCoon?
That's how I've always said it.
By the way I'm Jeh-Bar. Not Jee-Bar. Really bugs me for some reason.

Mordokai
2009-07-16, 05:07 PM
My username is more common than I would like. When I find a place where it has already been used I put some numbers at the end of it, usually 321 or 777. Other than that, I try to be consistent.

onasuma
2009-07-16, 05:08 PM
I have been Onasuma for many years. Never seen another one, ever.

Unless Im deliberatly antagonising an internet scammer, I always use Onasuma. For lieing to the scum of the earth, Im someone with one of several generic names.

wxdruid
2009-07-16, 05:11 PM
People have pronounced it w x druid, or weather druid or, they go the easy way and just call me Gwen. At CenCon and online I answer to any of the above.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-07-16, 05:13 PM
And if we ever meet(I hope so!), I'l call you Gwen druid.:smalltongue:

Zherog
2009-07-16, 05:22 PM
People have pronounced it w x druid, or weather druid or, they go the easy way and just call me Gwen. At CenCon and online I answer to any of the above.

I may be marking myself as a grade-A idiot here, but... how do they get "weather druid" from that?

wxdruid
2009-07-16, 05:24 PM
no worries, wx is the shortened way to write weather.

Zherog
2009-07-16, 05:25 PM
Huh. I've never heard/seen that before...

wxdruid
2009-07-16, 05:27 PM
Most people haven't, it's not a well known contraction? Is that the right word? I can't even think of it.

But, wx = weather

Mr.Moron
2009-07-16, 05:28 PM
I used to go by Delron or HP Delron, most anywhere. However I started losing passwords to a lot of my old accounts, without access to recovery accounts or without having set them up. Now I just go by whatever, wherever.

PhoeKun
2009-07-16, 05:32 PM
FoeCoon?
That's how I've always said it.
By the way I'm Jeh-Bar. Not Jee-Bar. Really bugs me for some reason.

Blarg, again. It's 'fee'. I really thought the shortening of a name pronounced the same way would make it obvious, but 95% of people I talk to all guess "foe".

Then again, I recently had to give my name to someone, and he looked at it like it was the strangest thing he'd ever seen and said, "I'm not even going to try to pronounce this..."

Is the name 'Phoebe' really so obscure?

Dallas-Dakota
2009-07-16, 05:35 PM
The joy of looking at the written down pronounciations when you're a not-native english speaker. So much fun to pronounce the names in your own language.

YPU
2009-07-16, 05:40 PM
Hey I actualy had i right on that one. (I think i got that from charmed tough, bad me) and DD your right, That is one hell of a name to have in dutch.

Mordokai
2009-07-16, 05:41 PM
Blarg, again. It's 'fee'. I really thought the shortening of a name pronounced the same way would make it obvious, but 95% of people I talk to all guess "foe".

*raises hand*

Guilty as charged.

CurlyKitGirl
2009-07-16, 05:43 PM

Then again, I recently had to give my name to someone, and he looked at it like it was the strangest thing he'd ever seen and said, "I'm not even going to try to pronounce this..."

I've always thought it was 'fee'. No other pronounciation ever occured to me, I thought everyone pronounced it like that.
And no, Phoebe isn't an obscure name, perhap more unusual than it once was over your side of the pond, but here it's unusual for a school not to have at least one or two Phoebe's.

potatocubed
2009-07-16, 05:45 PM

In the US? I'd guess so. A guy I know once invited me to a birthday party via Facebook for a woman named Oadhbadh. I had to say to him that I wouldn't even know how to begin to pronounce that.

(I can do Siobhan and Niamh, but only because people have told me how. =/ )

truemane
2009-07-16, 05:46 PM
I have and always will be PhoeKun wherever I go. I have never had another alias, and that's probably going to remain true as long as the internets exist.

I have no idea if there's anyone else out there who uses the name, but I pretty highly doubt it. It's never been taken anywhere I've gone, at least. Now, if only anyone could figure out how to pronounce it... <.<

Foe-koon. Fee-kuhn. Foe-ee-kon. Fwee-koohn.

I give up.

I'm the only truemane I've ever come across. I've been using this handle for a while now, but the only other place it shows up is Rpol.net. Everywhere else I've been active is gone the way of the 486.

I have a couple of other names that I use sometimes. Especially if it's only a temporary memership thing. But I don't feel the same attachment to any of them that I do to truemane. Even if people (especially D&D'ers) often misread it as 'trueNAME'.

And it has to be a lower case 't'. Capitalize the t and it's not the same. No idea why.

Brains are stupid.

Mando Knight
2009-07-16, 05:52 PM

Only Phoebe I can remember is the girl from The Magic School Bus.

...blast. Now I have to look up the theme tune somewhere, because I've got random clips running through my head.

I go by Mando Knight (Or MandoKnight if spaces aren't permitted) pretty much everywhere now. Oddly enough, this was the first site that I used the name for.

Dogmantra
2009-07-16, 05:55 PM
I just remembered another of my stand-ins. If Dogmantra is already taken, I may go by The Man Rat God (it's an anagram, you see)

Castaras
2009-07-16, 05:59 PM
I use Castaras everywhere.

Sometimes Kaelde, which is my Anarchy Online name.

The only place I've been unable to use Castaras is for email accounts, because it's the name of a spanish city, I'm guessing.

celestialkin
2009-07-16, 06:05 PM
Well, I have had the web identity celestialkin for years now. However, it turned out my players and local game store owners had figured out who I was, and were spying on me. I am now without my year-old ID, and am in uberlurker mode. :smallconfused:

Rutskarn
2009-07-16, 06:10 PM
Obviously, since Rutskarn is the persona I have attached to my creative endeavors, I use it wherever I go.

Steam, GitP, a brief stint on Ellerton's forums...I like to be consistent.

Faceist
2009-07-16, 06:11 PM
I have a ton of different usernames for stuff. I guess I do have a "unifying" one which I try to uphold most places I join (it's not Faceist, btw) but I'm not that fussed if it's in use, even though it's a fairly uncommon fantasy-ish type name.

Dragonrider
2009-07-16, 06:12 PM
I kind of wish I'd chosen something a little less generic when I signed up for GitP...it's from a story I wrote when I was twelve, and I typed it it because I didn't believe it was available. When I saw that it was, the grab-and-go instinct took hold. And I bet you anything that if I hadn't taken it, someone else would have by now. :smallwink:

It's not available on most sites, but I tend to pick variants of nicknames I have here (DeeRee being the first choice).

Vespe Ratavo
2009-07-16, 06:12 PM
I've never seen another Vespe Ratavo or Shrapnelwolf (my "everywhere that isn't GitP" identity). This makes me happy.

Froogleyboy
2009-07-16, 06:13 PM
Froogleyboy. I'll never change it. I use it for all accounts (even the ones I share, like this on)

afroakuma
2009-07-16, 06:17 PM
Now, if only anyone could figure out how to pronounce it... <.<

I would assume "FEE-kuhn" ...or however the Japanese "-kun" is pronounced.

Agamid
2009-07-16, 06:35 PM
I have to say i was pretty annoyed when i went to sign up for a particular site and discovered that Agamid was already taken, and taken by someone who hadn't been online for months! So had to go all scientific on them and go with Agamidae.

I didn't always have a set online identity, but more recently have stuck with either Agamid or something else dragon related.
Used to be Armenius on one site, Pogona_b on another, jeune_fille_nocturne (back in my 'i'm going to teach myself French' phase) and Linkchvary on another site... don't use any of those sites anymore though, except Pogona_b occasionally.

Rutskarn
2009-07-16, 06:42 PM
I would assume "FEE-kuhn" ...or however the Japanese "-kun" is pronounced.

If you're not careful, though, you end up with something that sounds like "fecund". Granted, that's one of those words that sounds dirty but really isn't.

Recaiden
2009-07-16, 06:45 PM
Only Phoebe I can remember is the girl from The Magic School Bus.

The same for me, actually. I've never even seen it written.

Flickerdart
2009-07-16, 06:58 PM
I'm the only Flickerdart, so that's not an issue. Unfortunately, my real name is dirt-common, fortunately it's not dirt-common in English. I do have another name I use elsewhere, but that one shall remain unassociated for the time being.

Blue Ghost
2009-07-16, 07:12 PM
My web identity is always Blue Ghost. But who Blue Ghost is is not always consistent. Here I'm Lawful Good, as I consider myself in real life. The first incarnation of Blue Ghost, in Runescape, was evil and revenge-driven. If it matters, though, I always think of myself as a wizard or something similar.

billtodamax
2009-07-16, 07:46 PM
I was bill followed by a random string of numbers for a while back ages ago, when I was still in single digit age, but I could never remember the numbers. When I was... 10? I think? Anyway, when I was 10 I decided I needed to add something to it that I could remember. As I was 10, I added "todamax". I've stuck with the name ever since.

BisectedBrioche
2009-07-16, 07:53 PM
I've been using Bisected8 around the internet for years. As far as I know, I'm the only one who uses "Bisected" as a handle.

Trog
2009-07-16, 08:00 PM
You have no idea how hard it is to get anything remotely close to "Trog" nearly everywhere. Thus I also go by "Trog's Tavern" and "mistertroglodyte" (not Mr. Trog... or Mr. Troglodyte... or Troglodyte... because all of those were taken already).

The price I pay for a four letter word as my user name. :smallsigh:

Recaiden
2009-07-16, 08:03 PM
I'm glad that mine has never been used as a handle.

Eldariel
2009-07-16, 08:29 PM
I do, though Eldariel is unfortunately taken in some places (sometimes my own accounts I've forgotten about and that link to obsolete E-Mails) which caused me to generate nick Elealar, which so far seems to be exclusively used by me.

Given that many people recognize me in multiple places, I consider this beneficial since I can keep consistent contact with the same people (who tend to identify themselves to me) regardless of the forum. Though Eldariel is a bit weird nick for me (a male) given that the 'riel'-ending means "maiden" so I'm...Elf maiden? That's another thing that caused me to generate Elealar.

ghost_warlock
2009-07-17, 12:49 AM
I have only a single identity, using ghost_warlock or ghostwarlock pretty much everywhere I go on the net (based on whether or not underscores are viable, my preference being the presence of an underscore).

My persona is entirely genuine, although filtered by the rules of whichever forum or whatnot I'm participating on. For the most part, though, I stick to GitP, Facebook, and a particular LiveJournal community.

Doing a Google search for ghost_warlock, most are me (never heard of sproutsearch before...). A google search for ghostwarlock is mostly not me, however; from what I've seen it's just the (defunct) DiaryLand blog and GitP references.

Felixaar
2009-07-17, 01:17 AM
There are many Felixes out there, but I am the only one who is...

TH3 F3L1X44R(!!!)

I also go by a variety of titles and variations of the Felix name, so it works out quite well.

Also, can't forget...

Soultrain Felix

Though it's not really a web identity. Many people I know call me Felix in real life as well.

Zimfan
2009-07-17, 01:24 AM
Never occurred to me to care much about my screenname. I usually use the same one, but "Zim"s and "Zimfan"s are pretty common so I don't always have a choice.

RabbitHoleLost
2009-07-17, 02:16 AM
I have a few, but usually only these or variations of:
RabbitHoleLost
RabbitVasque
QueenOfMemnoch
Hito-Chan

Inhuman Bot
2009-07-17, 02:17 AM
I had a tendancy to use "Slaanash/Slaanesh" alot, but I've started using a broader variety of names I've come up with, and in some cases blatently ripping off other forumers user names.

Looking at you, Ascension. :smallwink:

Dallas-Dakota
2009-07-17, 02:20 AM
I have a few, but usually only these or variations of:
RabbitHoleLost
RabbitVasque
QueenOfMemnoch
Hito-Chan
Rabbit, always mah QoM.:smallwink:

Icewalker
2009-07-17, 02:38 AM
Yeah, I tend to keep to one of a couple identities. Icewalker is a major one, although not for any good reason, so I tend not to use it much any more. Razax, or Razax The Scalpel is another, which was my idea for (and may yet still become) a Starcraft custom campaign centered around a cerebrate of the same name.

If I'm ever setting up on something which I consider very significant to me, ie, beyond the scope of a great community forum and more like a semi-professional identity, something that would be seen by people I know, I will use Alae Argenti, which is another name I have for myself, and may someday change my name to.

Zeb The Troll
2009-07-17, 03:12 AM

Only Phoebe I can remember is the girl from The Magic School Bus.The Friends finale is barely more than 5 years ago. The show was one of the most watched on television for its ten year run. Even people who didn't watch it fanatically were familiar with the principles, if only to describe how much and why they hated them and so "didn't watch the show".

Some of you might remember Phoebe Cates (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000121/)?

Alyssa Milano's character on Charmed was named Phoebe.

You ever have one of those days... ? :smallsigh:

No, the name Phoebe is not obscure, though I'll wager that a large percentage of the populace never knew how it was spelled.

Arcane Copycat
2009-07-17, 06:32 AM
Considering I go by 'Mage' in real life, it's virtually impossible to actually get that name. Stupid popularity...

As is the extended version which spawned Mage, Bluemage. Hence, Arcane Copycat here was the closest I could get to it.

I like to see it as everyone else trying to be me, which makes me smile in a sad egotistical kind of way...

Player_Zero
2009-07-17, 06:34 AM
Who cares if someone uses my name? I'm the only decent one.

There is only one Player_Zero, do not accept substitutes.

SDF
2009-07-17, 06:37 AM
Who cares if someone uses my name? I'm the only decent one.

There is only one Player_Zero, do not accept substitutes.

But Gamer_Zero tastes the same without any trans fat!

SDF is everything from a type of Linux, to an anime ship, to a cytokine. 3 letter acronyms are impossible to find untaken. Never had a problem with my other sn, Radical AC, before.

Ecalsneerg
2009-07-17, 06:43 AM
I'm not too possessive of my web identity, as really? Odds of someone using Ecalsneerg coincidentally?

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2009-07-17, 09:00 AM
I actually respond to "Gwyn" in real life. I am a variant on Gwyn, Gwyn ap Nud, or Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll just about everywhere. Except Youtube, and The Tangled Web, I believe, and I don't use TTW anymore.

Cristo Meyers
2009-07-17, 09:05 AM
Discounting family, there are actually more people that know me as Cris/Cristo than my real name...

Nevitan
2009-07-17, 09:05 AM
I'm pretty much always Nevitan whenever I sign up for something. It's only been taken twice I think so I like to think it's pretty much mine. :smallbiggrin:

_Zoot_
2009-07-17, 09:50 AM
I'm only really active on this site so _Zoot_ is my main name, i always try to get this name on any site i signup to (normally with out the underscore).

But, Zoot is a common name so i normally have to put some numbers behind it, not that the other people deserve this awesome name! :smalltongue:

Llama231
2009-07-17, 09:58 AM
Too many people like Llamas.
Luckily, I generally stick with the 231 part when making names, so that seems to work. :smallwink:

Neko Toast
2009-07-17, 10:04 AM
Slayer Draco
Neko Toast
Pathae

Usually cycles around these three. The third one isn't used as much anymore. Each seem to have a somewhat interesting origin.

valadil
2009-07-17, 10:09 AM
My name is a misspelling of the combinations of a few words I pulled out of the Tolkien Elvish dictionary - vala and aedhel. Yes, I played a character named 'power elf.' I liked the name and started using it for just about everything online. The nice thing about making up a name is that there is very little competition for it. I _think_ I managed to claim valadil everywhere I went except for aim, DDO, and youtube.

Sadly I've grown bored of the name. I just don't like saying it. But I don't care enough to change it.

SilverSheriff
2009-07-17, 10:10 AM
There are no other Black Pants Guys out there... and if there are I will find them and I will kill them.

Seriously. No Jokes.

Nageto004
2009-07-17, 10:11 AM

I eather have 004 or Prime at the end but always Nageto it's mine and you cant have it :smallfurious:

Kuma
2009-08-04, 10:05 AM
NOrmally I'm Kurosawa, if that's taken i have two or three other aliases (sp?) i go by, Ben salem and william Hastur are common.

Katrascythe
2009-08-04, 10:10 AM
generally -
Katrascythe
Scytheduquesne

There's one other that I use when all else fails so I don't really count that.

Sneak
2009-08-04, 12:03 PM
I have about 3 or 4, maybe 5 pseudonyms that I use on sites like this. Sneak is my least common, seeing as I really only use it here and it's almost always taken on other boards. It's not that I really care about being tracked, I just come up with a better name to use that fits me more. Now, I commonly go as "dangerouslybipedal."

chef781
2009-08-04, 12:08 PM
I have three that I bounce around with

Chef78(#)
Abnon1
Malde37

but, that's just me.

FYI, abnon and malde are character names

eidreff
2009-08-04, 12:16 PM
I do not as a rule maintain a big online presence, and am a member of very few forums. for the sake of my memory I use Eidreff (due to a chronic shift key failure I didn't capitalise when signing up) which is an anagram of a nickname and for the uninitiated hard to link to me.

I've never come across another Eidreff, but if there are any best of look to them.

Jack Squat
2009-08-04, 12:31 PM
I chose to go with Jack Squat [i]because[/url] there's someone on just about every forum with that name. If it's taken, or if I'm required to put in a number or longer length, it normally becomes jacksquat3 or jack_squat0. Although recently I've been signing into areas with failuretoyield or Failure to Yield, depending on the site requirements.

My favorite handle that I've only seen on one site (so I assume it's not too common) is This_takes_a_really_long_time_to_log_on

Phae Nymna
2009-08-04, 12:36 PM
I the mysterious planes of webbernet, I have gone by many names.
Chiefly:

ODESSA
Luftwaffles
Rotes Kreuz
Ellipsis Paradox
Admiral Walrus
Magma
Tristan
Isolde
Antinous

and, perhaps most infamously, Phae
*dramatic thunder clap*

Katonta
2009-08-04, 01:10 PM
I remember making my user name way back when I was... I think 12 or 13. I don't exactly know where I first used it, and I don't really know what, if anything, came before it. Heh. Silly 12 or 13 year old me, brainstorming words that sounded cool to me and deciding that I wanted something along the lines of "katana" but not exactly like that. With a little bit of letter morphing, just by saying the word differently each time, Katonta was born and it is the one that I use everywhere and I generally like to keep it that way, just out of preference really.

My online friends generally call me "Kato", since "Katonta" generally doesn't roll off the tongue very well. While playing on games that have a voice chat system, mainly Team Fortress 2 really, it seems that most people accidentally drop the second "t" while trying to pronounce my name. At first this bugged me, as being called "Katona" just didn't feel right, but now I'm not as bothered by it since "Katonta" feels weird to say in my mouth too.

Oddly enough, there's only been one other person that I've found as being called "Katonta" anywhere else and that was on Star Wars: Battlefront 2, which I barely played so I didn't care much. Honestly I'm surprised more people haven't come up with Katonta, as I don't really see it as being a very uncommon name, but I guess I'm wrong.

You know, the fact that your "Phoe" was just a shortening of "Phoebe" (and should be pronounced as such) never really clicked with me. In fact, as I read that, a little light bulb went off in my head and it suddenly made sense. I had always pronounced it as "foe", but with a "ph" instead, making the first sound a little bit more mouth consuming.

V'icternus
2009-08-04, 01:25 PM
No-one but me uses this name... I made it, and if you search for it, you'll find me, friends of me, that's about it.

I'm very protective of it, as I use it a lot.

I originally needed a name for a character for a short stroy for English class... the idea evolved, and now I've planned what novels for this character could involve.

The name V'icternus comes from the Latin words Victius Eternus. (or somesuch thing) I then mashed them together, rearanged things as I saw fit, and threw in an apostrophe because I like it better this way.

That changes it from being pronounced as Vic-Turn-Us to Vuh-Ic-Turn-Us, which I prefer.

As for the character, well... it'd take a long time to explain, so I wont. But I use that name for a lot of things, now, as I have a special bond with it.

If anyone else is founf to be using it, well, I'll just have to flame them right back to wherever they came from. Forever.

banjo1985
2009-08-04, 01:32 PM
My name on here came about by default really, as plain and simple Banjo had been taken. I'm only post actively in this forum so I have no real other persona. I used to post on the Gamefaqs message boards as WakkaAteMyPie, but that's about it, and that was a long time ago.

Fredthefighter
2009-08-04, 01:41 PM
Well, the forums I'm a member of are:

Urealms as MightyKraw
DnDorks as Greatguy
Wegame as Fredthefighter

I've never encountered anyone with the same username as me, so I don't really have this problem.

I'm a member of Dragon Tavern (a browser-based web-game) under the name of Fartmaster (another name I use a little more frequently than others).

My Youtube account is FredKongFooey.

Helinon
2009-08-04, 02:36 PM
My only online name is Helinon and if someone else uses it watch your back, cause ill find you.:smalltongue:

nothingclever
2009-08-04, 03:22 PM
I stick with my trusty nothingclever wherever I go. I like something bland and depreciating since it is unlikely to be used by others and does not come off as cheesy like someone using a name from a videogame or something.

darkblust
2009-08-04, 03:44 PM
I used to use several different names,including 'ariana felosial',(the name ofmy first dnd char.)and 'pepperandsalt'.I also use mis-spellings of darkblust,but having to try to log on several different times with different usernames got annoying.So i commonly just use darkblust now.

Raiser Blade
2009-08-04, 04:03 PM
I think a web identity
has been stolen out of enmity
pity me

Egiam
2009-08-04, 06:45 PM
I'm lucky.

I have never found a forum/mmo where someone had already picked Egiam. If you apply for one, and it has already been picked, it's probably me.

KilltheToy
2009-08-04, 06:46 PM
I try to keep it constant. I usually use "Killthetoy" where I can, adding numbers if needed, such as on Youtube where I'm Killthetoy11.

There is, however, one forum where I go by "Argon". If you know me there, feel free to raise your hand :smallwink:.

Egiam
2009-08-04, 06:48 PM
I just googled "Egiam" and found my accounts.
I also found a "Eugene Giam", which is NOT me.

Anuan
2009-08-04, 07:01 PM
I use Anuan everywhere for personal and spiritual reasons. It's very unusual to ever find it taken anywhere, and when it is, it's usually because I signed up to a website I thought was cool when I was like twelve and forgotten about it for years.

The Vorpal Tribble
2009-08-04, 08:16 PM
Totally depends...

On gaming forums GITP/Wizards/etc, I'm The Vorpal Tribble.

In writing forums and MySpace, I'm Awakened Dreamer.

In musical/professional circles I go by Silkspinner. Someone close to me had to sit through really BAD interview with a perfomer. I made an attempt at an article and she told me I could spin crap into silk, so it stuck.

GoC
2009-08-05, 12:24 PM
Two web identities here.

Zeful
2009-08-05, 12:45 PM
I don't go to great lengths to "protect" my web identity, especially in areas of the internet I care nothing about (myspace, facebook, twitter, et. all). But it's pretty much impossible to find someone else with Zeful as a username, so it's already protected.

Elder Tsofu
2009-08-05, 01:59 PM
I tend to sign up as Tsofu, or Elder Tsofu.
(and yes, it is a coincidal reference as the Tsofu was a result of a random entering of letters which I liked, but I admit to have read the wheel of time and enjoyed it)
But I don't get protective as I don't have any real fame or such and don't really expect it in the future either. :smalltongue:

Myshlaevsky
2009-08-05, 02:01 PM
I really couldn't care less about my web identity. There's always another shady figure from Russian literature that I can use.

Jacklu
2009-08-05, 02:12 PM
Jacklu is the handle I use just about everywhere I go. In fact, most of my friends in RL refer to me as Jacklu. I'm actually more possessive of Jacklu, than I am of my real name.

Mr. Mud
2009-08-05, 03:20 PM
I go by 3 or 4 names depending on what the Site is... Mr. Mud has been taken... don't ask me how. :smallannoyed:.

But yeah, list time:

Mr. Mud
- Cornhusker776
- Barcode
- Ur Mom iz My Hero (Xbox Live gamertag, for awhile. Changed now, but to - most people I knew, it stuck)
- Dr. Wattson