PDA

View Full Version : Saga Era building thread FIRST DISCUSSION

Froogleyboy
2009-07-16, 09:38 PM
Okay, I had an urge to make my own star wars era, but I have no idea about where to start so I decided to start a thread about it. Okay, the thing is . . . I have no idea about the era at all so lets start from scratch. First thing is first . . . what is happening that makes it so important that it needs its own era? Start nominating stuff and voting starts tommorrow

voting:
Pre-timeline: 2 votes
Post-timeline: 0 votes

War: 0 votes
Peace: 2 votes

sebsmith
2009-07-17, 12:36 AM
All of the eras can be found here (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_publishing_eras).

Froogleyboy
2009-07-17, 05:28 PM
. . .I am aware. I'm trying to make my own.

Mitth'raw'nuruo
2009-07-17, 07:22 PM
Well; you can do a great many things with in the time frame of the infinites era (which lucas is now calling the sith era; I am assuming because he is a tard)

Basically anything from the Discovery of the Sith Empire to the battle of Yavin is undefined; except in some amazing Dark Horse Comics and some (less then great story quality) video games.

If you want my suggesting? Set it 70 years before the battle of Yavin. Tell the story of the rise of the Galatic Empire; but disregard anything to do with EPI1-EP3. Follow the time line that was put out in all the material before Lucas decided to throw continuity in the trash can.

Good Materal would be A.C. Crispin. Han Solo Trilogy. Allegiance by Zahn is also an good work. Keep in mind that only a handful of people remember a time when Palatine was not Emperor; if anyone at all. The Empire was the only form of government most HUMANS could remember; Solo had only heard of crazy stories about Jedi; had never heard of the force; and had wanted to join the Imperial as a pilot even as a little boy. He never knew any other government; the Old republic having fallen before his time.

Keep in mind that the Old Republic is never mentioned in the movies; just the Imperial Senate. The Government is set up like Britain in the 1600s with a King and a Parliament (Senate). In the all of the expanded universe material before ep1; the empire is a very distance memory.

HamHam
2009-07-17, 08:45 PM
Do you want it to fit into canon?

Because what I would get rid of is having one galactic government (good or evil) and instead set up some different nations all fighting each other.

Froogleyboy
2009-07-17, 10:59 PM
Ah . . . can you people read!?! I'm wanting to create.an.original.era! You know, like those campaign setting builder threads

king.com
2009-07-18, 04:44 AM
Ah . . . can you people read!?! I'm wanting to create.an.original.era! You know, like those campaign setting builder threads

Pre, Post or Alternate in the timeline then. Thats about the extent of it. Though you could also do something say out of the way of regular events.

Dixieboy
2009-07-18, 08:39 AM
Pre, Post or Alternate in the timeline then. Thats about the extent of it. Though you could also do something say out of the way of regular events.
Wouldn't that be alternative? :smallconfused:

Seems to me like he wants US to build a setting, he doesn't want advise on making one.

AstralFire
2009-07-18, 08:48 AM
I get sort of the same feeling. But as I mentioned in some of my ranting yesterday, it'd be interesting to see a time in the Galaxy when even the Core was being explored, the Jedi Order is not old and venerable, and Coruscant is just a small town with a well.

ShaggyMarco
2009-07-18, 11:07 AM
Based on China's Three Kingdoms era:

This would take place long after the current Legacy era.

The Sith have been defeated by the combined efforts of the Emperor and what was left of the Alliance. The people of the Galaxy welcomed Emperor Fel and a new Empire covering the entire known Galaxy was established, with the Imperial Knights, the Imperial Mission, and the Jedi Knights working together to bring protection, aid, and diplomacy to the Galaxy.

The current Fel emperor is young and weak. His advisors and the Imperial Senate control the Empire, and corruption has seeped in.

The Sith have started convincing people that they are the voice of the people, and all can have equality the Empire can't offer them. They start an uprising which the Imperial Senate has difficulty directly quelling. They call on the Grand Moffs/Rulers of different powerful planets to put together their own armies to defend the Empire. The Sith Uprising is quickly quelled, but the various Rulers each get a taste of power and start vying for control.

As the dust settles, there are three rulers who claim power in the galaxy: Thalin Antilles, Grand Moff of the Greater Core Territories, a brutal and vicious commander who controls the majority of the most civilized planets in the Galaxy; Harzan Solo, Corporate General of the allied Corellian Worlds, a shrewd businessman whose corporate ties make him as dangerous economically as on the battlefield; and Marek Fel, a Jedi cousin to the Imperial Fels who has had leadership thrust upon him by the movers and shakers of the outer-rim, seeing him as their rightful and good ruler.

Basically, read the Romance of the Three Kingdoms or play Dynasty Warriors for your greater plot points.

Yellow Turbans=Sith, Eunuchs=Imperial Senate, Thalin Antilles=Cao Cao, Harzan Solo=Sun Jian, and Marek Fel=Lieu Bei.

My suggestion is to have the PCs volunteers in Fel's command during the SIth Uprising who stay with him until he becomes a commander of the outer-rim territories. Heck, let one of them play as Marek Fel (or whatever name he has) and have the other PCs play his "sworn brothers."

Instant compelling campaign setting that nods to cannon while not being constrained by it.

Froogleyboy
2009-07-18, 12:44 PM
Ok voting!

Pre Timeline
or Post timeline

Froogleyboy
2009-07-19, 06:44 PM
anyone gonna vote?

ZeroNumerous
2009-07-19, 07:00 PM
I get sort of the same feeling. But as I mentioned in some of my ranting yesterday, it'd be interesting to see a time in the Galaxy when even the Core was being explored, the Jedi Order is not old and venerable, and Coruscant is just a small town with a well.

That'd be the Infinite Empire era. When the Rakata ruled the galaxy twenty thousand years before the Republic existed.

Llama231
2009-07-19, 07:08 PM
(Pre-Rakata.)

PREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ZeroNumerous
2009-07-19, 07:21 PM
(Pre-Rakata.)

His fault for not specifying. :smalltongue:

Froogleyboy
2009-07-19, 07:48 PM
His fault for not specifying. :smalltongue:

not specifying what?

mr.fizzypop
2009-07-19, 08:27 PM
I vote Pre-timeline, but I disagree with the pre-rakata idea.

Froogleyboy
2009-07-21, 10:01 AM
Ok, so the era is set before the current timeline.

What do we vote on now?

mr.fizzypop
2009-07-21, 10:19 AM
Well every star wars era usually occurs during a war. Maybe we should decide whether the galaxy is at war or peace in this one?

Froogleyboy
2009-07-21, 10:21 AM
Okay, new topic: War or Peace

Froogleyboy
2009-07-21, 10:25 AM
Okay, what I plan to do is, once this is all up and done I will make a PDF in the format of the books

Froogleyboy
2009-07-22, 09:05 PM
bumpity bump

mr.fizzypop
2009-07-22, 09:55 PM
I vote peace, but not well maintained. Maybe the core planets are controlled well, but in the outer rim, out of control conflicts go on?

Froogleyboy
2009-07-22, 10:10 PM
Well right now we are just working on a very broad sense. once all voting is done we should have a discussion on the fine details

Llama231
2009-07-22, 10:39 PM
Peace. Hippiesounds.

Froogleyboy
2009-07-23, 12:50 PM
Ok, it seems the galaxy is at peace.

Now lets talk about : What is happening to make this important

Okay, we know that is is before the current time line and the galaxy is at peace

Froogleyboy
2009-07-23, 02:35 PM
This should fit into canon

Yakk
2009-07-23, 02:49 PM
This should fit into canon
Understood. Deleted my non-canon suggestion I made then. :)

Froogleyboy
2009-07-23, 02:57 PM
kay (.)(.)

Llama231
2009-07-23, 07:47 PM
Before space travel or Rakata, and no one cared about blowing each other up?

mr.fizzypop
2009-07-23, 08:19 PM
Before space travel or Rakata, and no one cared about blowing each other up?

Before space travel would be practically modern day. It doesn't look like it'd fit in star wars. I think it should be after the rakata.

Froogleyboy
2009-07-24, 08:48 AM
Yeah, it wouldnt be as interesting before the rakata

mr.fizzypop
2009-07-24, 11:04 AM
I was just looking at a star wars timeline (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline_of_galactic_history). How badly to you want it to fit to canon? Because the time before the movies are pretty picked out, not a lot of room for any changes in government.

Then on the other hand, looking after the movies, theirs barely anything past 100ABY. We could easily fit something in there.

Froogleyboy
2009-07-24, 11:07 AM
Hm . . . I want it to be canon

mr.fizzypop
2009-07-24, 11:33 AM
So should we cast a new vote on the time period?

Froogleyboy
2009-07-24, 11:40 AM
Well we only have a few people who go on this thread so we'd get the same response