PDA

View Full Version : Conjure Serpent of Ice and Flame

Voldecanter
2009-07-17, 09:37 AM
http://www.artservingspirit.com/works/artservingspirit/resized/elemental_alchemy.w450h450.jpg

Serpent of Ice and Flame
Serpent of Fire and Ice
Small Elemental (Fire,Water Extraplanar)
HD 2d8(9)
Speed 50 ft. (10 squares)
Init: +5
AC 15; touch 12; flat-footed 14
BAB +1; Grp +3
Attack Slam +2 melee (1d4 + 1d4 Cold Damage + 1d4 Fire Damage)
Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Special Attacks : Burn , Freeze
Special Qualities : Darkvision 60ft , immunity to cold , immunity to fire
Saves Fort +0 Ref +4 Will +0
Abilities Str 10, Dex 13, Con 10, Int 4, Wis 11, Cha 11
Skills Listen +2 , Spot +3
Feats Dodge , Improved Initiative .
Environment The Elemental Chaos
Organization Solitary
Challenge Rating 1
Treasure none.
Alignment Neutral
Advancement 3 HD (Small)

Burn (Ex): A serpent of fire and ice’s slam attack deals bludgeoning damage plus fire damage. Those hit by a serpent of fire and ice's slam attack must succeed on a Reflex save (DC 11) or else they catch fire. The flame burns for 1d4 rounds. A burning creature can take a move action to put out the flame. The save is Constituion-based.

Freeze (Ex): A serpent of fire and ice's slam attack deals bludgeoning damage plus cold damage. Those hit by a fire and ice's slam attack must succeed on a Reflex Save (DC 11) or be unable to take any movement actions for 1 round.
Level Adjustment –

Conjure Serpent of Ice and Flame
Conjuration(Summoning) [Water and Fire]
Level: Brd 1 Wiz/Sor 1
Components: V, S, F/DF
Casting Time: 1 round
Range: Close (25ft + 5ft/2 level)
Effect: One Summoned Creature
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

“Having Fire Opal , and Aquamarine in hand , the energies of the elemental planes begin to combine . Pleading Words to the Elements of Fire and Water are uttered under one’s breath; The Air freezes initially , followed by a blast of Flame . A Twisting flux of energy comes into existence and in a flash, a snake born of both Ice and Flame appears , willing to serve the one that summoned it . “

This spell summons a snake of Ice and Flame. It appears where you designate and acts immediately, on your turn. It attacks your opponents to the best of its ability. If you can communicate with the creature, you can direct it not to attack, to attack particular enemies, or to perform other actions. A summoned monster cannot summon or otherwise conjure another creature, nor can it use any teleportation or planar travel abilities. Creatures cannot be summoned into an environment that cannot support them. For instance, a celestial porpoise may only be summoned in an aquatic Environment. . Therefore , The Serpent Cannot be summoned in water alone , or fire alone , but on a neutral ground , such as a damp service of earth , the creature can be conjured .
Arcane Focus : Fire Opal and Aquamarine that costs 60 gp .

Sissyphus
2009-07-17, 10:36 AM
looks interesting, but maybe incorporate a greater one (5th level spell or something) which summons a more powerful variant, other than that, i might be good if you made a not of what it's burn and freeze special attacks do.
Does the slam do only fire and cold damage?
why is the flatfooted armor 14 while touch armor is 12? when i look at it, i see it has +1 dex armor, +1 dodge armor, does it have three natural armor? If so then the flatfooted armor class should be 13, because you loose the effects of dodge, or does it have +4 natural armor, i which case the base armor should be 16 (or am i just missing something?)

DracoDei
2009-07-17, 11:59 AM
Either make it a touch attack or give it bludgeoning damage appropriate to its level.

Voldecanter
2009-07-17, 03:09 PM
why is the flatfooted armor 14 while touch armor is 12? when i look at it, i see it has +1 dex armor, +1 dodge armor, does it have three natural armor? If so then the flatfooted armor class should be 13, because you loose the effects of dodge, or does it have +4 natural armor, i which case the base armor should be 16 (or am i just missing something?)

I based the Snake off of a CR 1 Fire Elemental , I assume it's Natural Ac .

Either make it a touch attack or give it bludgeoning damage appropriate to its level.

Sure no Problem , Looks like a touch attack would be more appropriate for a snake like figure .

Does the slam do only fire and cold damage?

Yes !

Sure i'll edit it no problem , thanks for the help !

Siosilvar
2009-07-17, 04:46 PM
+1 dodge armor,

Incorrect. Dodge only provides a bonus against one target (although it's a common house rule to just say it gives +1 AC).

One point is size, the other 3 are natural. See Small Fire Elemental (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/elemental.htm#fireElemental).

15 (+1 size, +1 Dex, +3 natural), touch 12, flat-footed 14

Debihuman
2009-07-17, 05:11 PM
It should only have one feat for 2 hit dice or you need to designate which feat is the bonus feat.

You're missing some text in special qualities: something (Darkvision?) is 60 ft.

Debby

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-07-17, 05:18 PM
Yes!

Why does the slam only do fire and cold damage? Where, in fact, is the damage represented by the actual physical force that comprises what we call a slam? Slamming something represents a blunt force, not elemental damage.

Even a small creature normally deals at least 1d4 damage with a Slam attack. Perhaps 1d4 damage +1 Fire damage +1 Cold damage might work...or 1d4 damage + 1d4 Fire damage + 1d4 Cold damage...although that might be a little to powerful.

Actually, never mind. 1d4 damage + 1d4 fire damage + 1d4 Cold damage average out to about 7...as does 2d6.

Debihuman
2009-07-17, 05:27 PM
The melee attack should also be +2 not +3. (BAB +1, Size +1, Str Modifier +0)=+2.

Debby

Voldecanter
2009-07-17, 05:52 PM
The melee attack should also be +2 not +3. (BAB +1, Size +1, Str Modifier +0)=+2.

Debby

The Bab is +1

But under Attacks it's Slam : +3 melee :
although I got that from the monster manual when based it off a level 1 elemental . Should I scrape that and change it ?

Debihuman
2009-07-17, 08:10 PM
Yes. The elementals you were looking at have Weapon Finesse as a Feat and that allows them to substitute their Dexterity Modifier for their Strength Modifier when they attack. They have higher Dex than Str so that was a good choice of feats. Instead of BAB + STR mod +Size Mod, they use BAB + DEX mod +Size mod. Note that the Dex mod only applies to the attack and not for any damage.

Your creature's attack is +2 melee because it has a BAB of +1. It doesn't have any Str modifier and its size modifier is also +1. BAB+1 and Size +1 and Str +0 = +2. See here for further explanation:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/combatStatistics.htm#attackRoll.

Debby

Voldecanter
2009-07-17, 08:20 PM
Thanks for the clarification :smallsmile:

DracoDei
2009-07-17, 08:34 PM
If it is melee touch, rather than melee, then an absence of bludgeoning damage makes perfect sense. That was the whole point of my first post.

Debihuman
2009-07-17, 09:03 PM
I think he wanted to keep it as a melee attack that also did cold and fire damage.

I think that the special abilities need to be spelled out. I have MM 3.5 and page 84 has dragons on it not elementals. Also, burn is open gaming content so reposting it isnt' a problem.

You can't make Burn and Freeze mutually exclusive because you have it as bludgeoning plus cold and fire damage not bludgeoning damage and cold or fire damage.

Here's how I think it should look.

Burn (Ex): A serpent of fire and ice’s slam attack deals bludgeoning damage plus fire damage. Those hit by a serpent of fire and ice's slam attack must succeed on a Reflex save (DC 11) or else they catch fire. The flame burns for 1d4 rounds. A burning creature can take a move action to put out the flame. The save is Constituion-based.

Freeze (Ex): A serpent of fire and ice's slam attack deals bludgeoning damage plus cold damage. Those hit by a fire and ice's slam attack must succeed on a Reflex Save (DC 11) or be unable to take any movement actions for 1 round.

sigurd
2009-07-17, 09:06 PM
Why not make it a 2nd level spell and summon one serpent of each element. That would represent the splitting of normal into its two extremes.

Sigurd.

Voldecanter
2009-07-17, 09:17 PM
Why not make it a 2nd level spell and summon one serpent of each element. That would represent the splitting of normal into its two extremes.

Well I would do that , but I wanted to post a spell Unique to my Custom Campaign World , where there are 8 different elements of Magick , and this spell represents The Merger of Fire and Ice (Water) .

Basically a Mage has used the Energies of the World to Harness enough power and Conjure this Creature to help him out .

However , your Idea would make an Excellent Second Level spell in which The Two Snakes could go Tag Team the Mage's Opponent .