PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Kill-off of a main character? (POTENTIAL SPOILERS)

Crel
2009-07-17, 10:05 AM
I was just wondering what some people's favorite ways that characters have been killed off, and why. Some of my personal favorites are Dumbledore and Harry from the Harry Potter series (Yes, I consider the end of 7 to be killing him in a sense), because you expected neither of them to work out the way they did, partially because the entire series is supporting Dumbledore saying he has something on Snape, then Snape kills him, which blew me out of the water a bit, even with all the foreshadowing.

Who's got other cool character deaths?

Cubey
2009-07-17, 10:07 AM
Beautiful, emotional and sad: ending of Cowboy Bebop.

BANG.

T-O-E
2009-07-17, 10:12 AM
Roy Batty, Blade Runner. I have his soliloquy memorised.

Isak
2009-07-17, 10:16 AM

BANG.

Agreed.

Too sad :smallfrown:

The "best" ways to kill off a Main character?

Through an emotional scene of carnage and destruction; followed by the sad song when the Main Character finally passes on...

OR THROUGH AN EXPLOSION OF MANLINESS! As is the style of KAMINA-SAMA!

(I cried when Kamina died :smalleek:. And King Kittan passing later on was JUST as EPIC).

Telonius
2009-07-17, 10:18 AM
Obi-Wan Kenobi, Star Wars episode 4.
Lt. Data, Star Trek Nemesis.
Maude Flanders, The Simpsons (not sure if she counts as "major").
Gwen Stacy, Spider-Man.
Fingolfin, The Silmarillion.
Thorin Oakenshield, The Hobbit

Berserk Monk
2009-07-17, 10:20 AM
I always thought it sucked that Greed died on Fullmetal Alchemist.

Player_Zero
2009-07-17, 10:20 AM
Episode 8 of Gurren Lagann.

Berserk Monk
2009-07-17, 10:23 AM
Episode 8 of Gurren Lagann.

Yeah. It's amazing how one character that was alive for less that 25% of all the episodes could have such an impact.

Zaphrasz
2009-07-17, 10:34 AM
Lt. Data, Star Trek Nemesis.I'm going to have to disagree here. Data is one of the most awesome characters ever to come out of Star Trek, and to have him killed off in such an poorly done way, in such a horrible movie, did not do the character justice. It wasn't even one of those unceremonious, "anyone can die for no reason" moments like Tasha Yar, it was just a poorly done attempt at a dramatic moment.

Finn Solomon
2009-07-17, 11:05 AM
The way Neil Gaiman handled the complex assisted suicide of the Dream King is my most favourite death ever. It was necessary, it was wonderfully done, and it was memorable.

Ned Stark's death in a Song of Ice and Fire was one of the few that shocked me for real. I never expected Lord Eddard to die the way he did.

I expected Dumbledore, Snape, and even Harry to die, but not Fred Weasley. I've always been fascinated by the character archetype of the laughing warrior, and Fred's death reminded me a hell of a lot of Cuthbert Allgood from Stephen King's Dark Tower. Speaking of the Dark Tower, the death of Eddie Dean and Jake Chambers shook me up too.

FoE
2009-07-17, 11:13 AM
King Kong. :smallfrown:

GrandMasterMe
2009-07-17, 11:20 AM
Leonardo Dicaprio's death at the end of the departed was amazing. No foreshadowing, right out of the blue, and at the moment when he thought he had won, a single shot to the head put him down.

Faceist
2009-07-17, 12:00 PM
Aeris from FFVII. Choke on masamune, you staff-wielding ninny! Also, Dumbledore in Half Blood Prince and Jake Chambers in The Dark Tower, because they were both unexpected and provoked a strong emotional reaction.

My least favourite is L in Death Note. I loved that guy. It's true what they say - both the manga and the anime went downhill after he popped off.

Timberwolf
2009-07-17, 12:26 PM
Honor Harrington spoiler from the latest book

Admiral McKeon in the Honor Harrington books was quite a good one.

Dying in a hail of Peep missile fire facing odds of something like 5 to 1 iirc which was targetted on the only 5 ships (McKeons) in the task force with a new, super accurate missile system. He almost made it.

Blackjackg
2009-07-17, 12:36 PM
Leonardo Dicaprio's death at the end of the departed was amazing. No foreshadowing, right out of the blue, and at the moment when he thought he had won, a single shot to the head put him down.

In the same vein, Tara's death in Buffy. No foreshadowing, just surprise, random and senseless death.

Also, Kitty Pryde at the end of the Whedon run of Astonishing X-Men. Playing a little fast and loose with the idea of "death" there, but what the heck.

Others... hmm... Eponine in Les Miserables, Edward Bloom in Big Fish and, of course, Miko Miyazaki in Order of the Stick.

Zevox
2009-07-17, 12:41 PM
Some from the Star Wars EU: Anakin Solo during the Yuuzhan Vong War, Mara Jade Skywalker at Jacen Solo's hands, and Jacen Solo at his twin sister Jaina's hands. That last could have been done better, but was at least the best part of the novel it occurred in. The first was utterly tragic and touched me in a way no character death has before or since.

Also, from some Forgotten Realms novels: Jak at the end of the Erevis Cale Trilogy, principally because of Cale and Riven's reactions to it and the scene where they blackmail their god into giving them the chance to resurrect him. Also, Cale himself at the end of the Twilight War Trilogy. Giving up his life to an Archdevil for his half-Fiend friend Magadon's sake even after becoming a god... wow, that was powerful.

Zevox

chiasaur11
2009-07-17, 01:04 PM
In the same vein, Tara's death in Buffy. No foreshadowing, just surprise, random and senseless death.

While we're on that note, Hobun Washburn.

That one freaking HURT.

Nerd-o-rama
2009-07-17, 01:07 PM
Freaking Whedon and his random, senseless deaths. It's powerful writing, but it's getting a little predictable.

As for me...

Lockon. Lockon.

Jade_Tarem
2009-07-17, 01:14 PM

Dying in a hail of Peep missile fire facing odds of something like 5 to 1 iirc which was targetted on the only 5 ships (McKeons) in the task force with a new, super accurate missile system. He almost made it.

Another one from the Harrington books:

Santos, the engineer from the first book. Especially considering all the hard work she had done on the ship, and the fact that she had saved Fearless about six times during the final fight - and the last time was right before she died when Fusion 1 blew, in what amounted to a blaze of glory that engineers usually don't get in literature. Fearless indeed...

Also:

Wolfwood from Trigun. That long soliloqy, wherein you slowly realize that he's not going to make it... :smallfrown:

horus42
2009-07-17, 01:15 PM
While we're on that note, Hobun Washburn.

That one freaking HURT.

I still deny that that one happened. Even to the point of shouting "He's not dead! He was just sleeping with that harpoon in his chest!" in crowded places.

Chunklets
2009-07-17, 01:16 PM

Agree 100% with that one!

I've also got to mention Spock, waaaay back in ST: TWoK. Yes, I know they brought him back, but for those of us old enough to remember when TWoK first came out, it was really shocking.

Another one, again going back a little ways, was the multi-episode story arc that ended with the death of Det. Bobby Simone on NYPD Blue. I still find that hard to watch, when in shows up in reruns.

chiasaur11
2009-07-17, 01:17 PM
I still deny that that one happened. Even to the point of shouting "He's not dead! He was just sleeping with that harpoon in his chest!" in crowded places.

A reasonably well known game journalist said that was the only time he's wanted one of those cheap "It was all a dream, he's just napping, twin brother" cop-outs.

Only time he's cared more about the character than the story.

Cristo Meyers
2009-07-17, 01:18 PM

BANG.

Call me jaded, but this one is the only one I can think of that really did anything for me, and it did it in spades. I love this ending.

Jahkaivah
2009-07-17, 01:30 PM
Obligatory Watchmen mention:

Nite Owl I, wonderfully ironic beating him with a statue of himself with the words "in gratitude". And Rorschach's, though I wouldn't blame anyone for killing him in that situation.

Also I just finished watching Code Geass R2:

Shirley's was dramatic, Rolo's actually made me a bit teary eyed, Lelouch himself was an awesome twist.

The Neoclassic
2009-07-17, 01:47 PM
I'm going to have to disagree here. Data is one of the most awesome characters ever to come out of Star Trek, and to have him killed off in such an poorly done way, in such a horrible movie, did not do the character justice. It wasn't even one of those unceremonious, "anyone can die for no reason" moments like Tasha Yar, it was just a poorly done attempt at a dramatic moment.

Agreed! His death wasn't well done at all, as far as plot and all that, and frankly felt entirely unnecessary and contrived.

Rorschach, as someone mentioned, was on the other hand a beautifully done and, while still sad, meaningful death (in terms of the point of the movie and consistency with the plot).

Callos_DeTerran
2009-07-17, 01:52 PM
Shion Izumi of Gantz. Sure he was a murderous a-hole who was only concerned about being put back in the game, and murdered over a hundred people to do it, but the guy was a complete badass and in his final moments learned it's not all about 'winning'.

Which is a weird message for Gantz to show if you know the series.

Along a similar note, Battle Royale

Hiroki Sugimura, he came so close. And, oddly enough, Kiriyama.

Phase
2009-07-17, 01:57 PM
Rorschach, as someone mentioned, was on the other hand a beautifully done and, while still sad, meaningful death (in terms of the point of the movie and consistency with the plot).

...You mean the book, right?

Not only being a book>statement, I thought his death in the movie ws rather ham-handed...

Chunklets
2009-07-17, 02:03 PM
To add one to the examples I mentioned above, how about the death of Darth Vader at the end of Return of the Jedi? There's nothing like a good bit of villain-redemption, I always say!

The Neoclassic
2009-07-17, 02:05 PM
...You mean the book, right?

Not only being a book>statement, I thought his death in the movie ws rather ham-handed...

Oops, book! That is what I meant. I need to reread my posts better. I did like the movie, but the book was far more meaningful and better with his death.

The Glyphstone
2009-07-17, 02:20 PM

And what makes it even more poignant is that

In the original drafts, it was supposed to be Honor on that ship, but a combination of Fandom and his co-author Eric Flint screwing up the timeline saved her from doooooooom. So he killed off her best friend instead.

Helanna
2009-07-17, 02:31 PM

I thought the movie version was okay (thought not as good as the book) up until the Big No (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BigNo) from Nite Owl. That just seemed totally random and over-done, and really detracted from the quality of the scene.

Thane of Fife
2009-07-17, 02:41 PM
The Legend of the Five Rings Clan Wars septology has quite a few of these, and I think that they're all done pretty well.

The death of Shiba Ujimitsu would no doubt be my favorite.

Jera
2009-07-17, 02:56 PM
Some from the Star Wars EU: Anakin Solo during the Yuuzhan Vong War, Mara Jade Skywalker at Jacen Solo's hands, and Jacen Solo at his twin sister Jaina's hands. That last could have been done better, but was at least the best part of the novel it occurred in. The first was utterly tragic and touched me in a way no character death has before or since.

Nothing in the Yuushan Vong War shook me up more than when

Chewbacca died, I actually put down the book and didn't finish the series for almost a month. Powerful Jedi die from getting shot in the back, while the Yuuzhan Vong have to drop a moon on top of Chewie to kill him.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-07-17, 03:03 PM
Lavan Firestorm(Brightly Burning). Mercedes Lackey said in reference to him "Make wonderful characters, characters that the audience can't help but love, and then drop a mountain on them." (probably misquoted since I lost the link) Only problem with that one is that the book went on after him. IMHO it ended when he died, the rest of the wrap-up was unnecessary.

Edit:Second the Yuuzhan Vong deaths. I really couldn't believe that either of those 2 died, and there were a bunch of other characters that bit it, too. Heck, Bosk Fey'ya's death was a CMoA.

Cristo Meyers
2009-07-17, 03:05 PM
Lavan Firestorm(Brightly Burning). Mercedes Lackey said in reference to him "Make wonderful characters, characters that the audience can't help but love, and then drop a mountain on them." (probably misquoted since I lost the link) Only problem with that one is that the book went on after him. IMHO it ended when he died, the rest of the wrap-up was unnecessary.

And that's why that was the only one of her books that I owned that I only read once. She pulled off the awesome death well enough with Vanyel, anything else was just a bad imitation.

TheThan
2009-07-17, 03:08 PM
Dinobot from bestwars was both awesome and touching. Even megatron is almost touched… almost.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0fuCpUScQk

Oh how could I have forgotten : Optimus prime

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJcuCWllVeQ&feature=PlayList&p=4B489A6832A51714&index=2

(comes in at about 4 minutes)

Piedmon_Sama
2009-07-17, 03:17 PM
Alfred's death in DKR made me cry when I was 10.

Utterly proper. :smallfrown:

Alteran
2009-07-17, 03:19 PM
When I was watching Serenity, I was about ready to declare River Tam's death an awesome end for the character...except then she survived.

Also, Wash's death was just a kick in the teeth. Book? Eh. Wash? NOOOOO!

DarthArminius
2009-07-17, 03:25 PM
Gandar's death in Valkyry Profile was pretty good:
He was spared being destroyed completely after death simply because Odin needed his power.

Derthric
2009-07-17, 05:51 PM
Ned Stark's death in a Song of Ice and Fire was one of the few that shocked me for real. I never expected Lord Eddard to die the way he did.

That one knocked me for a loop. Especially the way it was done, Martin writes scenes of intense action and commotion so well it really felt like it was an instantaneous thing and not something I had taken 5 minutes to read.

I'll also add Tara and Wash to the mix. Actually the episode of Tara's being killed was the first full episode of Buffy I ever watched. I had to go back and watch from the start just to get to that point, then I was forced to relive it all again and this time with meaning.

Smiling Knight
2009-07-17, 05:59 PM
Ned is Dead without his Head.
Also, Robb.

But the cake goes to Nathanial from Jonathan Stroud's Bartimeaus trilogy.

Muz
2009-07-17, 06:06 PM

What, you mean off-"screen?" :smallsmile:

Neko Toast
2009-07-17, 06:19 PM
Favorite? FAVORITE?! How could you say such a thing?! *huggles Hughes plushie* T.T

But I digress. His death in the [manga/new series] plotline certainly made things a lot more interesting.

comicshorse
2009-07-17, 08:58 PM
The entire cast of 'Blake's 7'.
Now THAT is how you end a series
( and yes I know remebering this makes me very old)

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-07-17, 10:41 PM
When I was watching Serenity, I was about ready to declare River Tam's death an awesome end for the character...except then she survived.

Also, Wash's death was just a kick in the teeth. Book? Eh. Wash? NOOOOO!While we're on the subject of Whedon and his insane cruelty to his characters, I know of no one who wasn't shocked by Penny's death in DHSAB. Now, whether you thought it was a key point to the show and handled beautifully, or the ruin of an otherwise good comedy, is another story altogether.

Munsi
2009-07-18, 02:34 AM
i've just rewatched Oz, and as anybody who's seen the show'll attest, they LOVE killing principals in all kinds of shocking and/or grotesque ways. however, that said, i've got to put the death of Simon Adebisi in season 4 as my favorite from the show. a powerful end to a 2 season long story arc

Xondoure
2009-07-18, 02:40 AM
I don't know a single person who didn't cry during Maes Hughes death in FMA...

Jarawara
2009-07-18, 04:07 AM
I got two for the list:

The first one is Steven Segal's character in the movie 'Executive Decision'. Now as anyone who's seen the movie knows, Segal's character *had* to die, or at least be incapacitated, in order to force the real hero to emerge (Kurt Russell's character).

But this was Steven Segal, a fairly major name in film, often the leading man in movies. And 45 minutes in, he's toast. I was impressed!

(Actually, by that logic I could add another, that being Drew Barrymore's character in 'Scream'. But I don't think that 5 minutes screen time qualifies someone as a 'main character'.)

*~*

My other example, however, is a bit questionable, mainly because I have few accurate details on it. It does remain, however, one of the most influential 'deaths' I've ever seen, and I shall describe why.

I don't know what show it was. I don't know the character's names. I don't even know if they were 'main' characters, or if she was only there for one episode. All I can tell you is that I *think* it was a cop drama (or a court drama maybe), and that the female character was played by the woman who played the alternate doctor from Star Trek Next Generation, and the guy was played by the man who played Doc Copper from 'The Thing'. (That incidentally starred Kurt Rusell. Only three more steps to get to Kevin Bacon?)

Yeah, pretty sketchy info, but bear with me here...

So I'm flipping through the channels one day, looking for something to watch. I turn to this cop/court drama thing, where this man and woman are having an argument in a hallway. You feel the tension between them, I think they are lovers, or have at least considered it. But now they're frustated with each other, and the case they are working on. She can't work with him, and has to leave. She hits the button to call the elevator, then continues the argument with him as she waits. He pressed his point, possibly saying things he will later regret. She says "Fine", and concludes her point as the elevator door opens behind her.

She then turns and walks into the elevator.... and falls 12 stories to her death! The elevator never came up, the door opened on schedule, and she wasn't looking. She just steps into thin air, and falls with a scream. (Which is then cut mighty short.)

Now I stare at the TV for a few minutes as everyone goes into reaction mode (with much shock and sadness from the guy who was just arguing with her), and I conclude that this must have been a pretty shocking way of writing out a major character. But as I don't know the characters, and didn't bother to even catch the name of the show, I flip the channels some more and finally settle on reruns of SouthPark.

Six months later...

I'm flipping through the channels, looking for something to watch until my gamer buddies show up. For once, I'm ready for the game, and have some time to kill. I flip over to some cop/court drama, there's this man and a woman in a hallway. Argument. Counterpoint. Emotional Tension. Things get heated. Waiting for elevator. This seems... familiar. Then she turns, steps into the elevator, and falls to her death.

Eight months later...

So I'm flipping through the channels, trying to find out what channel that new horror flick was supposed to be on. I hit the channel up button, and pause a moment. Cop/court drama. Man/woman argument. Elevator. She turns... She falls... I go watch the new version of 'The Shining', but I can't forget the reaction on his face.

Six months later...

Gah, I've seen this episode of the Simpsons. You know the one, where Homer is a Giant Ape and Monty Burns is the evil director who want to take advantage of him. He eats Smithers then marries Marge. Yeah, whatever. I turn away to another channel. Drama. Man/woman argument. Elevator. She turns and falls to her death...

I still have no idea who they are or what show that's from, but I've only ever seen one scene from that show, of that whole series, and to date I've seen it no less than four times!!! (and I seem to remember a fifth, now that I think about it).

It's left an impression, let me tell you!

xPANCAKEx
2009-07-18, 04:22 AM
ben aflecks character in smoking aces - the shock factor alone has enabled me to 'sell' this film to friends who normally despise afleck

i tell them "don't like afleck... you'll LOVE his character in this film"

_Zoot_
2009-07-18, 07:23 AM
Spike....... That one actually made me cry :smallfrown: BANG.

Other than that....

Darth Vader, it was nice to see him contented at the end.

Wash of course, that was just mean, and Book......

Théoden from The Lord of the Rings.

Those are the main characters that i can think of now....

king.com
2009-07-18, 08:05 AM
Oh god killing Wash in Serenity pissed me off :(
Also, Optimus Prime too, like a part of my childhood died with him :(
(im talking the actual death in the old movie not the new garbage).

Dispozition
2009-07-18, 08:12 AM
Both already mentioned, but still...

Bang!

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.

Both absolutely shattering...Took me by surprise as well. Planetes does an almost killing off of the main character, but she survives, happy endings all round. Samurai Champloo almost kills two of the three main duo in the last episode too...Sunrise really like nearly killing off main characters...Or actually doing it...Damn Sunrise...

Zeta Kai
2009-07-18, 08:17 AM
My other example, however, is a bit questionable, mainly because I have few accurate details on it. It does remain, however, one of the most influential 'deaths' I've ever seen, and I shall describe why.

I don't know what show it was. I don't know the character's names. I don't even know if they were 'main' characters, or if she was only there for one episode. All I can tell you is that I *think* it was a cop drama (or a court drama maybe), and that the female character was played by the woman who played the alternate doctor from Star Trek Next Generation, and the guy was played by the man who played Doc Copper from 'The Thing'. (That incidentally starred Kurt Rusell. Only three more steps to get to Kevin Bacon?)

Yeah, pretty sketchy info, but bear with me here...

So I'm flipping through the channels one day, looking for something to watch. I turn to this cop/court drama thing, where this man and woman are having an argument in a hallway. You feel the tension between them, I think they are lovers, or have at least considered it. But now they're frustated with each other, and the case they are working on. She can't work with him, and has to leave. She hits the button to call the elevator, then continues the argument with him as she waits. He pressed his point, possibly saying things he will later regret. She says "Fine", and concludes her point as the elevator door opens behind her.

She then turns and walks into the elevator.... and falls 12 stories to her death! The elevator never came up, the door opened on schedule, and she wasn't looking. She just steps into thin air, and falls with a scream. (Which is then cut mighty short.)

Now I stare at the TV for a few minutes as everyone goes into reaction mode (with much shock and sadness from the guy who was just arguing with her), and I conclude that this must have been a pretty shocking way of writing out a major character. But as I don't know the characters, and didn't bother to even catch the name of the show, I flip the channels some more and finally settle on reruns of SouthPark.

Six months later...

I'm flipping through the channels, looking for something to watch until my gamer buddies show up. For once, I'm ready for the game, and have some time to kill. I flip over to some cop/court drama, there's this man and a woman in a hallway. Argument. Counterpoint. Emotional Tension. Things get heated. Waiting for elevator. This seems... familiar. Then she turns, steps into the elevator, and falls to her death.

Eight months later...

So I'm flipping through the channels, trying to find out what channel that new horror flick was supposed to be on. I hit the channel up button, and pause a moment. Cop/court drama. Man/woman argument. Elevator. She turns... She falls... I go watch the new version of 'The Shining', but I can't forget the reaction on his face.

Six months later...

Gah, I've seen this episode of the Simpsons. You know the one, where Homer is a Giant Ape and Monty Burns is the evil director who want to take advantage of him. He eats Smithers then marries Marge. Yeah, whatever. I turn away to another channel. Drama. Man/woman argument. Elevator. She turns and falls to her death...

I still have no idea who they are or what show that's from, but I've only ever seen one scene from that show, of that whole series, and to date I've seen it no less than four times!!! (and I seem to remember a fifth, now that I think about it).

It's left an impression, let me tell you!

The show: L.A. Law (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L.A._Law).
The character: Rosalind Shays (http://en.allexperts.com/e/r/ro/rosalind_shays.htm).
The actress: Diana Muldaur (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diana_Muldaur).
The elevator: Wasn't there (http://tv.msn.com/tv/tvdeaths/).

Nerd-o-rama
2009-07-18, 08:45 AM
...I didn't realize that had ever actually happened on TV. I thought it was one of those things that people parodied without it actually having been there to parody in the first place, like "the butler did it".

KnightDisciple
2009-07-18, 08:57 AM
As for me...

Lockon. Lockon.

This. So very much this.

GrandMasterMe
2009-07-18, 09:39 AM
Dinobot from bestwars was both awesome and touching. Even megatron is almost touched… almost.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0fuCpUScQk

Oh how could I have forgotten : Optimus prime

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJcuCWllVeQ&feature=PlayList&p=4B489A6832A51714&index=2

(comes in at about 4 minutes)

wow, just wow, I can't believe I had forgotten about that:smallfrown:

chiasaur11
2009-07-18, 01:09 PM
...I didn't realize that had ever actually happened on TV. I thought it was one of those things that people parodied without it actually having been there to parody in the first place, like "the butler did it".

Heck, that isn't the first place it happened.

It happened in an old Chesterton Father Brown mystery.

Kato
2009-07-18, 04:43 PM
Er... I guess that'll become a long list...

'BANG' is definitely among it. Poor Spike, though, in some way it wasn't that bad since he was reay for it. But very well done nontheless.
Also, Nerdo beat me to it, but that was one of the most touching scenes ever to me And the damn, orange, robot didn't make it any easier... (Strangely there was nothing else in the whole Gundamverse which came close... Mwu might have count if Destiny hadn't existed... (Please, no discussion now) Even Zeta... No, nothing as touching to me)
CG had some noce stuff as well... Most touching was probably Shirley (poor girl) though the last episode wasn't any better. Just... dunno, again the 'saw it coming' and 'just as planned' makes it kind of easier.
Oh, and even if some of you will stab me... Itachi.

Literature example: Turin Turambar, LOTR. Damn, poor bastard. Though, his father Hurin didn't have a better life, he just could didn't die as awesome as he did. (Okay, suicide isn't that great, but the reasons...)

And at least one movie, Leon, The Professional.

On a side note, Stargate SG-1, the whole episode dedicated to Frasier's death.

edits:
Oh my, how could I forget. Gundam antagonist death: Master Asia.
Also, yet another anime example, not touching, but ew: Asuka, End of Evangelion.

Erts
2009-07-18, 11:31 PM
Dumbledore, unexpected, beautifully but tragically done.

Gandalf (partially, his first death) and his epic last stand.

And Bruce Wayne. Riding in on a motorcycle to shoot an planet conquering evil dictator to shoot Darkseid in the face, the only time he has used a gun sense the 1930s pure canonically. Besides a complete show-down with the Joker, this is the most awesome way for Batman to go. (Of course, hopefully, he will eventually be back.)

Lupy
2009-07-18, 11:37 PM
Optimus Prime in the 1986 Transformers movie. It was so great to have the other characters do something without him for once.

Erloas
2009-07-19, 12:19 AM
Ned Stark's death in a Song of Ice and Fire was one of the few that shocked me for real. I never expected Lord Eddard to die the way he did.That one knocked me for a loop. Especially the way it was done, Martin writes scenes of intense action and commotion so well it really felt like it was an instantaneous thing and not something I had taken 5 minutes to read.

I'm not sure if I would agree when its put in the context of the rest of the books though. Sure it was shocking and a surprise when it happened, but by the end of the 4th book or so and the fact that he has killed off almost every main character he had it makes them all seem kind of trivial.

magellan
2009-07-19, 09:37 AM
Tara does have foreshadowing:
"clothes" - "Better not get used to them"

Liriel
2009-07-19, 11:50 AM
I've got two to add...although one may be kinda pushing it.

1) Lt. Col. Henry Blake on M*A*S*H - complete shock to the entire viewing world. Didn't he have main character immunity to the war or something!?! His wife just had a baby! He was going home!

2) Ok, think back to when we were all young kids (ok, ok, some of you weren't born yet, but hey, I watched reruns of MASH) and we watched Sesame Street. There was a character (probably not as main as say, the muppets, but still) named Mr. Hooper. He died, well, honestly, the actor died in real life. They didn't show Mr. Hooper dying in the show, but they did deal with it - and amazingly well for a kids' show.

(Yes, I know, old examples. However, I still find them to be extremely powerful images.)

pita
2009-07-19, 11:51 AM
I just finished Animorphs. I stopped reading when I was 12, after a lack of books. Now I'm 17, and Rachel and Ax... I literally cried. The only other character I cried for was Old Yeller when I was 5.
KA Applegate is brilliant.
I second the idea they had on the reboot/retcon thread that a TV show should be made out of the series. A good one. That I have to be the one producing and writing for.

Mr.Moron
2009-07-19, 11:58 AM
The ending to Lufia 2 for the SNES. Though... that may just be nostalgia talking. As I'm fairly sure it was one of the first really-dead character deaths I ever actually encountered in a story.

Even though you sort of knew it was coming from the first game.

MissK
2009-07-19, 12:28 PM
Master Asuma from the Naruto manga.

Oh, and in "The Mighty" where the small, hunchback kid dies. That made me cry. And I'm 23.

Redpieper
2009-07-19, 12:46 PM
"L" in Death note, I thought it was very well done. Though the series went downhill from there for me.

Evrine
2009-07-19, 03:52 PM
1) Lt. Col. Henry Blake on M*A*S*H - complete shock to the entire viewing world. Didn't he have main character immunity to the war or something!?! His wife just had a baby! He was going home!

Totally agree!

As for me there are a few.

Chani from Dune and Dune Messiah. She's this powerful persona, a warrior and priestess of her people. Then she gets barefoot and pregnant, and then dies. Total waste of a fantastic character.

Dr. Carson Beckett from Stargate Atlantis. He had a great death, I thought. Unfortunately, they brought him back in as tired and cliche a manner as possible. I was hoping he had ascended.

In the same vein, Daniel Jackson's first death/ ascension was also well done.

Carolyn Fry from Pitch Black. Totally unexpected. I thought it was a very well done scene, overall.

Also, I kind of agree on Ned Stark, but I also kinda agree that for every major character after that, it got less and less meaningful.

There's probably more, but that's the ones I can think of for now.

bladedSmoke
2009-07-19, 04:13 PM
Hester Shaw and Tom Natsworthy in the final book of the Mortal Engines sequence.

That is all.

Sir Dar
2009-07-19, 06:00 PM
show:Dragon ball z.

character vegeta.

Vegetas death by hands of Frieza and later agian when facing buu http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdFHqzwhFJk&feature=related.Vegetas deaths are to epic for words. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVpcYh-fg80

kpenguin
2009-07-19, 06:12 PM
I just finished Animorphs. I stopped reading when I was 12, after a lack of books. Now I'm 17, and Rachel and Ax... I literally cried. The only other character I cried for was Old Yeller when I was 5.
KA Applegate is brilliant.

Wait, Ax didn't die... he just became of some sort of collective alien creature thing at the end.

Gorgondantess
2009-07-19, 06:29 PM
As stated above- Ned Stark's death. I'm still in shock from that one.
Other than that... Angier and Borden's death, at the end of The Prestige:
"Abrakadabra"-
*crk*
BANG!
Great twist, perfectly excecuted.

Lester's death in American Beauty was the only movie ever to make me cry.

Two darkly hilarious deaths-
Brad Pitt's character (can't remember for the life of me his name) in Burn After Reading- it's so unexpected, the only way to describe it is as funny.
Eli in There Will Be Blood- "I'm finished".:smallbiggrin:

kamuishirou
2009-07-19, 06:48 PM
I've got two to add...although one may be kinda pushing it.

2) Ok, think back to when we were all young kids (ok, ok, some of you weren't born yet, but hey, I watched reruns of MASH) and we watched Sesame Street. There was a character (probably not as main as say, the muppets, but still) named Mr. Hooper. He died, well, honestly, the actor died in real life. They didn't show Mr. Hooper dying in the show, but they did deal with it - and amazingly well for a kids' show.

(Yes, I know, old examples. However, I still find them to be extremely powerful images.)

It's sad for me to say I almost forgot these two when I was thinking of some. Ditto. Both of these hit me kind of hard.

As already stated, Wash, Serenity. Wow that hit me as a WHAT! They can't kill Wash! THEY CAN'T KILL WASH!

Optimus Prime, Transformers the Movie. Wow this hit me hard as a kid. I remember crying during this part. (tearing up now just thiking about it <sniff>)

WNxHasoroth
2009-07-19, 10:47 PM
I'll second Nathaniel's death in the Bartimaeus Trilogy

Elfin
2009-07-19, 11:15 PM
Nearly every major death in the Silmarillion is amazing; Tolkien is unbeatable.
If I had to choose, though, I'd definitely go Fingolfin.

lisiecki
2009-07-19, 11:21 PM
Totally agree!

Chani from Dune and Dune Messiah. She's this powerful persona, a warrior and priestess of her people. Then she gets barefoot and pregnant, and then dies. Total waste of a fantastic character.

Its not so bad.
Hannah lives on in her twins in Children of Dune and as a part of Leo II in God Emperor of Dune.

Apparently there's a ghoal of her in Hunters of Dune

pita
2009-07-20, 01:37 AM
Wait, Ax didn't die... he just became of some sort of collective alien creature thing at the end
Where I come from, that's called "A Fate Worse Than Death".

Mr. Scaly
2009-07-20, 09:33 AM
The Dragonlance Chronicles.

[SPOILER]In the third novel, Flint. What's really painful about his death is that you know it's going to happen. All through the series there are signs...people talking about his extreme age, his occassional signs of frailty, but you hope because every time this is mentioned he pulls through and shows what an old dwarf can do. I cry every time I read that scene...I know people say it's a bridge death but to me it was incredibly dignified and left a great impact on all of the others.

littlequietguy
2009-07-20, 04:41 PM
This is a weird one: Lind L. Taylor from Death Note.
He was a minor character but his death contributed to the story.

hamishspence
2009-07-20, 05:21 PM

I remember seing that basic quote in an essay on Harry Potter- a comment that both her and J.K Rowling were of this school of thought.

pita
2009-07-20, 06:38 PM
JK Rowling doesn't kill off main characters. You want to see it done well, you read Animorphs, if you're looking for YA fiction. If not, there's George R R Martin, there's Steven Erikson, there's Alan Moore, and plenty of others. When I heard that what she was intending to do with the seventh book was a "Kill em all" situation, I was annoyed. Because I've read Kill Em All, and Harry Potter isn't even close. She fought for her characters to live. Which would be OK if it weren't in such a deus ex machina way (GAH DAMMIT HARRY, DYING AND THEN BEING ALIVE AGAIN BECAUSE YOU DIDN'T FEAR DEATH IS IDIOTIC)

PId6
2009-07-20, 06:58 PM
Other than that... Angier and Borden's death, at the end of The Prestige:
"Abrakadabra"-
*crk*
BANG!
Great twist, perfectly excecuted.
This. Second favorite movie of all time.

As for favorite movie/play, the titular duo in Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead. Their deaths at the end was completely expected (duh) and amazingly well done.

Lord Seth
2009-07-20, 07:26 PM
I'm going to have to disagree here. Data is one of the most awesome characters ever to come out of Star Trek, and to have him killed off in such an poorly done way, in such a horrible movie, did not do the character justice. It wasn't even one of those unceremonious, "anyone can die for no reason" moments like Tasha Yar, it was just a poorly done attempt at a dramatic moment.Don't forget that they decided to lamely reverse it by bringing a robot clone to replace him.

I'm going to go with Mercutio's death from Romeo and Juliet. He's overshadowed by the deaths of the titular characters, but his death is so grimly humorous (not to mention signifies the shifting of the play from Shakespeare's usual romantic comedies into a tragedy) that I have to give it the win.

Jade_Tarem
2009-07-21, 12:03 PM
JK Rowling doesn't kill off main characters. You want to see it done well, you read Animorphs, if you're looking for YA fiction.

Animorphs. Seriously? Animorphs had one of the least satisfying "everyone dies" endings I've ever seen. It was made even worse because it followed a perfectly good ending to the series, and they all died in a pointless epilogue. And please don't try to tell me that the whole point was that it was pointless, or something like that - the "war is bad" message was established very early in the series, we didn't need to see the Animorphs take over the Enterprise and ram some bad guy that no one heard of or cared about before the last five chapters of the last book to get it. (For those of you that haven't read Animorphs, I'm not making that up, it really did happen.)

Let's not forget the part where ramming it was necessary because they went hunting the Blade Ship with a smaller, weaker, less well protected, and less heavily armed vessel. Far be it from me to argue with the Andalite Strategic Command, but this strikes me as a bad idea. No wonder the Andalites were losing the war for most of the series to an alien menace that couldn't exterminate five teenagers.

Even Rachel's death, earlier in the book, was... passable at best. Actually, it was a pretty good ending for her, dying to disable the Blade Ship's weapons, but then we get to the part where she meets the Ellimist and he says he's not going to save her because he's not allowed to interfere with [insert Q Continuum gibberish here].

Wow! He's not allowed to interfere! I guess it's a good thing he hasn't waved his hand and saved the human race three or four times, or interfered with the space-time continuum on our behalf, or anything like that. Oh wait, yes he has. So apparently he can interfere unless Applegate wants to kill off a main character, then his hands are tied. Nice.

Arguably, the best death of "main characters" that occured was Jake's sacrifice of the alternate Animorphs - the disabled kids - primarily because it showed how far he was willing to go to win. How much you want to consider them main characters is up to you, though.

Of course, Elfangor's death wasn't bad - but I'm not sure I'd call him a main character. I mean, he dies about twenty pages into the first book; that kinda disqualifies you as a "main character" in a series spanning more than sixty books.

So I'm not really sure what you're getting at. Which main character death was "done well?" The one where Rachel dies because the Ellimist is a jerk, the one where Cassie dies of (presumably) old age, or the one where Jake, Tobias, Marco, and Ax die attacking a completely faceless, one dimensional bad guy that had no relevance to the main plot?

Dienekes
2009-07-21, 01:03 PM
Wait, Ax didn't die... he just became of some sort of collective alien creature thing at the end.

Isn't it rather implied that every buggering character dies in the end? Except Casey.

Renegade Paladin
2009-07-21, 01:08 PM
Boromir in The Fellowship of the Ring. In the end, his honorable nature overcame the corruption of the Ring, even though he died because of it. Death in redemption always strikes a chord with me in stories.

ghost_warlock
2009-07-21, 01:53 PM
Brad Pitt's character (can't remember for the life of me his name) in Burn After Reading- it's so unexpected, the only way to describe it is as funny.

Maybe it's just me, but from the moment his character was introduced it seemed obvious he was Too Dumb to Live.

Anyway...

Favorite main character kill off: Arnold Rimmer, episode 1 of Red Dwarf. :smallbiggrin:

KerfuffleMach2
2009-07-21, 10:06 PM
Let's see here...

Optimus in Revenge of the Fallen. Not so much how it was done as "holy crap, that came out of nowhere"

Dobby. I felt sadness for that one.

All I can think of right now.

bosssmiley
2009-07-22, 04:52 AM
Katsumoto in "Last Samurai". The entire enemy army stops fighting and kow-tows to his awesomeness.

Honourable mentions:
Kagemusha in "Kagemusha"
d'Artagnan in "Man in the Iron Mask"
Cyrano in "Cyrano de Bergerac"
Nameless in "Hero"
Ahnuld in "T2"

Honourable suicide: the oriental equivalent of "...and they all lived happily ever after."

Dumbledore lives
2009-07-22, 04:55 AM
There are quite a few others that were good but have already been mentioned in this thread, but one of my favorites was the Iron Giant. I saw it many years ago, and the ending was so amazing and sad.

Perenelle
2009-07-22, 11:15 PM
Thorin form the Hobbit, and Dumbledoor from Harry Potter are my favorites.

Keshay
2009-07-23, 02:18 PM
I'm going to have to disagree here. Data is one of the most awesome characters ever to come out of Star Trek, and to have him killed off in such an poorly done way, in such a horrible movie, did not do the character justice. It wasn't even one of those unceremonious, "anyone can die for no reason" moments like Tasha Yar, it was just a poorly done attempt at a dramatic moment.

The worst aspect of killing off Data was that they could have made the movie awesome by reversing the characters who died. If Picard had sacrificed his life so that Data could survive, then that would be a moving and heroic thing to have done.

Instead thay had a character with limitless potential sacrifice his existance in order to save an octogenarian with his best years behind him. A man who, if Data had bothered to have asked, would have strongly disapproved of said sacrifice. And why? Because no one thought to bring along TWO emergency transporters, or a time-delay detonator, or a volley of quantum torpedoes once the heroes got clear...

Data dying is surpassed in stupidity only by the destruction of the Enterprise-E in generations.
"They're penetrating our shields! Quick come up with a lengthy and convoluted solution to this problem we have faced multiple times in the past while dealing with the Borg instead of just rotating shield frequencies!"

Favorite deaths/losses?
Spock
The Enterprise (no bloody A, B, C or D)
Dobby
Buffy's Mom. That episode was terrific.
Bruce Willis in Armageddon (that scene still makes me choke up)
Dr. Greene on ER, again pretty emotional episode there.

And last but certainly best, most shocking/unexpected. Teresa Bond at the end of OHMSS. The end of the movie just left me feeling empty. moving stuff there.

adanedhel9
2009-07-23, 03:48 PM
My favorite would be Charlie from Lost (even if it was scientifically invalid). He's been prophesized to die, and he accepts this. He then manages to survive the obvious fulfillment of the prophecy, despite the heavy build up and much angst. He is elated that he's still alive. Then he suddenly dies in the next episode in the exact way that the prophesy fortold.

That is how you handle a prophesy.

Catch
2009-07-23, 04:02 PM
Chewbacca. Because roaring at the moon as it crashes down onto you is the only way a Wookiee can go.

Astrella
2009-07-23, 04:33 PM
There are quite a few others that were good but have already been mentioned in this thread, but one of my favorites was the Iron Giant. I saw it many years ago, and the ending was so amazing and sad.

Can't agree more.

Yana
2009-07-23, 04:45 PM
"I have my family waiting for me. I can't die here!"- Maes Hughes

Zevox
2009-07-23, 05:14 PM
Just remembered:
From Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3, Shinjiro Aragaki and Chidori. Okay, so Chidori probably doesn't qualify as a main character, and even Shinji may be questionable, but still. Damn well-done events, and two of the reasons that game is among my all-time favorites.
Zevox

Chunklets
2009-07-23, 05:42 PM

I remember that, and they did do a tremendous job with it - gentle without being patronizing.

I had seen at least a couple of the movie adaptations of The Hunchback of Notre Dame before I actually read the book, so I was not at all prepared to discover that Hugo did not actually provide us with a happy ending. Esmeralda's death at the end of that blew me away, and I still, many years later, find it to be a fairly powerful piece of writing.

Kato
2009-07-24, 05:31 AM
Oh my, how could I... Forgot one of my most favourites. None of you will probably know, but: Katou Yue's (final) death in Angel Sanctuary.
Just one of the few things in a manga that really touched me.