PDA

View Full Version : The best at what they do

littlequietguy
2009-07-17, 07:08 PM
Wolverine always claims that he is the best at what he does.

Name others from any source who are the best, not just good like spiderman or the green goblin.

Batman
Joker
Shojo
L
Fruitf***er 3000 from Penny Arcade
LOLcats

Starscream
2009-07-17, 11:54 PM
David Xanatos
Hannibal Lecter
Lord Vetinari

(tell me you wouldn't want to watch a chess tournament with those ^ three)

Squirrel Girl
Sam Vimes
Granny Weatherwax
Xykon
Yoda
Bruce Campbell

Shades of Gray
2009-07-18, 12:01 AM
Purple Shirted Eye Stabber

kpenguin
2009-07-18, 12:04 AM
Mycroft Holmes.

Lord Seth
2009-07-18, 12:04 AM
David XanatosI don't know, Light Yagami could give him a run for his money.

Demons_eye
2009-07-18, 12:10 AM
Purple Shirted Eye Stabber

/thread

But sarge is the best at what he does as to what he does I have no idea.

chiasaur11
2009-07-18, 12:16 AM
/thread

But sarge is the best at what he does as to what he does I have no idea.

Hating Griff.

Griff is also the best there is at what he does. Or rather, doesn't do.

Reed Richards is also pretty much the best there is at his job. Of course, he's humble enough to admit to failings.

Berserk Monk
2009-07-18, 12:30 AM
Order of the Stick (stick figure (web)comics)

8-bit Theatre (sprite comics)

Mystery Science Theatre 300 (mocking movies)

Worira
2009-07-18, 12:45 AM
Wolverine has actually said that he has no idea what "I'm the best at what I do" is supposed to mean, and just says it because it sounds cool. I'll see if I can find the quote.

Zencao
2009-07-18, 03:33 AM
Mycroft Holmes.

Hmm, but can he be the best at what he does if he never gets off his ass to do it? Or are you talking about his vague job where, in some ways, he IS the British government? :P

kpenguin
2009-07-18, 04:11 AM
Mycroft is the best at deducing.

Sherlock is better than him in every other aspect of being a consulting detective.

Flickerdart
2009-07-18, 09:16 AM
Dirk Gently is the best at what he does, because nobody else does it, really.

Athaniar
2009-07-18, 09:42 AM
Palpatine, the best there is at political manipulation. Come on, he took over most of an entire Galaxy. I'd also call him the best at being a Sith Lord in general.

Speaking of Star Wars, Thrawn is probably the best at that learning a species through art thing that he does.

Lord_Gareth
2009-07-18, 09:43 AM
Rincewind - the best at Staying Alive. Oh sure, Marvel characters come back to life with more frequency than D&D characters do, but Rincewind never dies. I'm convinced that, when the time comes, he will face Death by running his ass off.

Dhavaer
2009-07-18, 09:52 AM
Anasûrimbor Kellhus - the best at psychoanalysing without telepathy.

kpenguin
2009-07-18, 09:54 AM
I'd bet Starscream or Mr. Immortal over Rincewind in a Staying Alive Contest...

Or the Bee Gees.

Lord_Gareth
2009-07-18, 09:54 AM
Mr. Immortal ressurects - he still dies.

I've also seen Starscream bite it a time or two.

kpenguin
2009-07-18, 09:56 AM
Psh...

Mr Immortal might have his body mangled or blown to pieces or whatnot

But he doesn't die

Same with Starscream.

As for the Bee Gees...

Berserk Monk
2009-07-18, 10:03 AM
Wolverine always claims that he is the best at what he does.

He's the best at saying "I'm the best there is at what I do."

Rorschach (internal monologue and being badass)

Michael Bay (explosions and sucking)

Peter Jackson (epic)

Starscream
2009-07-18, 10:10 AM
We Starscreams always survive, one way or another.

Tengu_temp
2009-07-18, 10:11 AM
I'd bet Starscream or Mr. Immortal over Rincewind in a Staying Alive Contest...

Didn't Starscream bite the dust in the movie? The one from the eighties, not the recent blockbuster which should be called "Humans! Including Transformers In Minor Roles".

KillianHawkeye
2009-07-18, 11:09 AM
Didn't Starscream bite the dust in the movie? The one from the eighties

Yes. He dumped Megatron in the vacuum of space, so when Megatron became Galvatron, the first thing he did was fly to Cybertron and blast the heck out of Starscream (and retake command of the Decepticons).

Of course, I think Starscream's ghost spark or spirit or whatever came back later in the series. I know for sure it came back and took over Waspinator in an episode of Beast Wars. But hey, Starscream is really determined like that. :smallwink:

Starscream
2009-07-18, 11:35 AM
Of course, I think Starscream's ghost spark or spirit or whatever came back later in the series. I know for sure it came back and took over Waspinator in an episode of Beast Wars. But hey, Starscream is really determined like that. :smallwink:

Yeah, his body was destroyed, but his "soul" (if robots call it that) lived on. Later on he got his body back.

I think they explained this as him having a "mutated spark" which renders him functionally immortal. I think this goes for the new series as well, which has led to some funny moments (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PR5G3gcNKwg).

Linkavitch
2009-07-18, 11:47 AM
Eddie Van Halen is the best at playing Eruption

Nintendo is the best at making awesome (kid-friendly-ish) games.

Zeful
2009-07-18, 11:55 AM
Garret Jax (Wishsong of Shanara) is the best at fighting.

Rutskarn
2009-07-18, 12:05 PM
David Xanatos
Hannibal Lecter
Lord Vetinari

Hannibal Lecter would be too busy turning the chess game into some sort of twisted metaphor for his opponent's psyche to try and win, and Xanatos and Vetinari would be falling over themselves trying to lose because it suits their purposes better.

Gorgondantess
2009-07-18, 12:13 PM
Hannibal Lecter would be too busy turning the chess game into some sort of twisted metaphor for his opponent's psyche to try and win, and Xanatos and Vetinari would be falling over themselves trying to lose because it suits their purposes better.

Wow. That pretty much hits it right on the nail.:smallbiggrin:

Hell Puppi
2009-07-18, 12:13 PM
Xanatos and Ventrani would just sit across from each other, hands clasped in front of them, eyebrows raised, each one engaging in a separate mental battle to figure out what the other has to gain or lose from it.
The chess battle would take months before one even moved a piece.

chiasaur11
2009-07-18, 01:12 PM
Wolverine has actually said that he has no idea what "I'm the best at what I do" is supposed to mean, and just says it because it sounds cool. I'll see if I can find the quote.

Paper dolls.

(see: Astonishing X-Men.)

bosssmiley
2009-07-18, 01:49 PM
"Among horses, Red Hare. Among men, Bu Lu."

chiasaur11
2009-07-18, 02:08 PM
Xanatos and Ventrani would just sit across from each other, hands clasped in front of them, eyebrows raised, each one engaging in a separate mental battle to figure out what the other has to gain or lose from it.
The chess battle would take months before one even moved a piece.

And then, months in, it would turn out to be assassin's chess.

Verruckt
2009-07-18, 02:14 PM
It must be said, Frank Castle is the best man for the job if you need large numbers of criminals dead.

Likewise, if you must hire a bodyguard to same you from a number of very Irate superheroes, Slade is the man to see.

FoE
2009-07-18, 02:30 PM
Blade is the best at killing vampires. If you've got a vampire infestation, call Blade.

Forget the Belmonts. It took them generations to off just one vampire. :smalltongue:

Kato
2009-07-18, 04:56 PM

Too fitting. Though, I wonder if we should throw in someone like Lelouch, Light or L (don't even start discussing who'd be the most potent opponent) My bets are on Xanatos, anyway.

Also, I nominate the Daleks for comitting genocide while looking totally crappy.

To throw in some real life things: Hideo Kojima fails best at scaring away the fans from a franchise.
And Kishimoto fails best at ruining a perfectly good plot idea.

chiasaur11
2009-07-18, 05:14 PM
Blade is the best at killing vampires. If you've got a vampire infestation, call Blade.

Forget the Belmonts. It took them generations to off just one vampire. :smalltongue:

Yeah.

I mean he killed all the vampires on earth at once.

No, wait. Huh.

That was Dr. Stephan Freaking Strange.

Dr. Strange: Killing all the vampires on earth isn't even his toughest job. Admittedly, it's pulling an A-Bomb to swat flies, but...

Edit: Also, my money's on Vetinari. He doesn't just make you a puppet. He makes you pull your own strings.

leafman
2009-07-18, 07:03 PM
the Ghostbusters, the best at paranormal investigation and elimination.

nothingclever
2009-07-18, 07:08 PM
LOLcats
LOLcats
Caturday/4chan

Jahkaivah
2009-07-18, 08:46 PM
Too fitting. Though, I wonder if we should throw in someone like Lelouch, Light or L (don't even start discussing who'd be the most potent opponent) My bets are on Xanatos, anyway.

Veiled Death Note and Code Geass spoilers.

Light- Rapidly takes all the opponents pieces while mindlessly sacrificing his own untill he has just a King and a knight left, turns out you cannot win with those and loses by default.

L- Repeatedly ignores every checkmate opportunity because he doesn't want to win untill he's taken every one of the opponents pieces, ultimately loses.

Lelouch- Leads with a King and protects the queen far too much, which, turns out, are both dumb strategies but does surprisingly well despite.
Throws a hissy-fit when his queen is taken but after pulling himself together turns the game around with just two knights, a king and a few pawns. Then resigns just as he's about to checkmate his opponent. Considered a good sport.

Xanatos- Play's a hard game, then loses, only to reveal that he and his competitor were playing each other's pieces since the begining.

Vetinari- Convinced that he never showed up, his competitor left the gameroom. Vetinari wins by default.

Faulty
2009-07-18, 09:10 PM
Zarathustra.

Kris Strife
2009-07-18, 10:40 PM
Kamina: Being bad***
Simone: Digging, defeating anti spirals
Amuro: Piloting Gundam
Dr. McNinja: Healing people, hitting Death's skull with his own body, punching out Dracula, and many other things, but not tennis.
Cloud: Wielding over size swords.
Sephiroth: Being a mama's boy, making fan girls.
Superman: being a ****

jlvm4
2009-07-18, 11:13 PM
Miles Vorkosigan

Still not sure exactly what to say he's the best at, but I'd take him at my side to take on nearly anything.

FoE
2009-07-19, 01:41 AM
Yeah.

I mean he killed all the vampires on earth at once.

No, wait. Huh.

That was Dr. Stephan Freaking Strange.

Dr. Strange: Killing all the vampires on earth isn't even his toughest job.

Too bad it didn't take.

In any case, I'm more referring to the Blade from the movies, where Strange doesn't exist. And anyways, Strange's specialty is defending earth from Eldritch Abominations.

chiasaur11
2009-07-19, 01:44 AM
Too bad it didn't take.

Besides, Strange's specialty is defending earth from Eldritch Abominations.

Yeah, I grant you that, but Blade only took Dracula one time, and that was when Dracula was still shaking off the clobbering Strange had given him.

See: Here (http://mightygodking.com/index.php/2009/04/14/ironically-my-tax-law-exam-is-today/).

bosssmiley
2009-07-19, 05:27 AM
Zarathustra.

:smallconfused:

Pioneering monotheism?

"His religious ideas. They're over 9000!!!"

Kato
2009-07-19, 06:01 AM
Veiled Death Note and Code Geass spoilers.

Light- Rapidly takes all the opponents pieces while mindlessly sacrificing his own untill he has just a King and a knight left, and a piece he thinks to be his which finally places him in checkmate when his last pla failed epicly.

L- Repeatedly ignores every checkmate opportunity because he doesn't want to win untill he's taken every one of the opponents pieces and never lose one of his own, ultimately loses.

Lelouch- Leads with a King and protects the queen far too much, which, turns out, are both dumb strategies but does surprisingly well despite.
Throws a hissy-fit when his queen is taken but after pulling himself together turns the game around with just two knights, a bishop (or rather some kind of replacemnt queen he doesn't use to her full extent), (CC, Suzaku, Orange) a king and a few pawns. Then resigns just as he's about to checkmate his opponent. Considered a good sport.

Xanatos- Play's a hard game, then loses, only to reveal that he and his competitor were playing each other's pieces since the begining. Excellent!

Vetinari- Convinced that he never showed up, his competitor left the gameroom. Vetinari wins by default. Alternative: Whenever his oppoent tries to remove one if his pieces he stares at him asking if he is sure he wants to do that until he resigns.

Very good summary, but a few slight mistakes.

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2009-07-19, 03:55 PM
"Among horses, Red Hare. Among men, Bu Lu."

<3 Romance of the Three Kingdoms.

The characters in that book are basically competing against one another for the best at being badass. One eats his own eye, then another beats people to death with the corpses of his foes.

EDIT: Lord Julius, Cerebus' Groucho Marx as statesman (literally) could probably win the chess game with anyone there.

ArlEammon
2009-07-19, 04:06 PM
Merlin:
Actually he was Zeus after being imported to Britain alooong time ago. Don't ask me to explain how that's possible, please.

chiasaur11
2009-07-19, 04:07 PM
Merlin:
Actually he was Zeus after being imported to Britain alooong time ago. Don't ask me to explain how that's possible, please.

I thought he was a time lord.

Miss Nobody
2009-07-22, 07:44 AM
"There are few who deny, at what I do I am the best
For my talents are renowned far and wide
When it comes to surprises in the moonlit night
I excel without ever even trying
With the slightest little effort of my ghostlike charms
I have see grown men give out a shriek
With a wave of my hand and a well-placed moan
I have swept the very bravest off their feet"

Yes, that's the Pumpkin King I'm talking about.

Smiling Knight
2009-07-22, 11:47 AM
Gregor Clegane, for pillaging, looting, burning, and killing.

Bayaz the Magus,for the best evil Gandalf impersonation.

littlequietguy
2009-07-22, 08:33 PM
Santa Claus at delivering presents

Lupy
2009-07-22, 08:46 PM
Vetinari wins every chess game. Period.

Rincewind at staying alive.

The Luggage at smashing things.

WitchSlayer
2009-07-22, 08:55 PM
Mr Terrific: Best at being better than you.

Erts
2009-07-23, 12:19 PM
Hulk: The best at smashing things.

Deadpool: The best at what Wolverine says he's the best at.

*.*.*.*
2009-07-23, 12:26 PM
Peter Jackson (epic)

Dancing King Kong would like to disagree

lisiecki
2009-07-23, 12:38 PM
Perfect Tommy

Buckaroo Banzai: Let her out.
Female Prisoner: Hey, me too.
Perfect Tommy: Let her out?
Buckaroo Banzai: That's right, let her out. I'll be responsible.
Perfect Tommy: But she's a killer.
Buckaroo Banzai: No, she's not. Now, let her out and give her your coat.
Perfect Tommy: Why me?
Buckaroo Banzai: Because you're perfect.
Perfect Tommy: You have a point there.

sealemon
2009-07-23, 05:50 PM
Mr Terrific: Best at being better than you.

This. By the very definition of the character, this.

I'd say Spiderman is the best at not getting hit by stuff.

Pug is the best at mastering the magic of two different dimensions.

Superman.

lisiecki
2009-07-24, 12:47 PM
The best there is at what Wolverine does.

Molly Millions.
Chick is nucking futs

RandomNPC
2009-07-24, 07:40 PM
Batman, @ planning ahead

Flash @ moving really freaking fast

Superman @ depending on powers so much that anytime they are negated he turns into a weak lil sissy boy.

Green Lantern @ being green (arguably Kermit)

Me @ keeping in head and out of head conversations completely seperate. For me it's not an issue of inside and outside voices volume, its inside and outside voices placement.

UltraDude
2009-07-24, 09:39 PM
Lelouch vi Britannia at using the environment in military engagements.

Neo at being Jesus-in-a-computer.

Dacia Brabant
2009-07-24, 10:12 PM
Merlin:

Um, huh? I thought he was based partly on the Welsh legend of Myrddin Wyllt, the wild prophet of the woods, and partly from real-life exploits recorded by the Welsh historian Nennius. Sorry, I guess you didn't want to explain that though.

Anyway, how about Chuck Norris for the best at being an internet meme?

Erts
2009-07-24, 10:18 PM
Anyway, how about Chuck Norris for the best at being an internet meme?

That inspired me to this:
Rick Astley at annoying the snot out of the entire internet.

lvl 1 fighter
2009-07-25, 12:10 AM
John Browning - Best small arms weapons designer

The Mule - Best at conquering the galaxy

littlequietguy
2009-08-09, 05:25 PM
Bill Waterson- Writing Comics

Mystic Muse
2009-08-09, 06:40 PM
the band Brand New claims they're the best at what they do. listen to "okay. I believe you but my tommy gun don't."

Innis Cabal
2009-08-09, 06:44 PM
"Among horses, Red Hare. Among men, Lü Bu

Ya. Its a nitpick. But I fixed it because it was annoying

turkishproverb
2009-08-09, 07:19 PM
Rincewind at staying alive.

The Luggage at finding its owner

Death at screwing up his timetables

Bud Abbott at being the strait man